Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caidin posted:

Okay I've found the Source at the cathedral or whatever and I think I've totally lost the thread on the this plot. Okay so is Karen the Queen then? I thought that was the Cruz lady? And regardless now we have to go do a Simon's quest and find a bunch of queen bits? Did the government build the Anor Lando set for Aurora to nap in?

A summary up to where you are so far:

The Queen is Cruz, who was sort of the experimental Patient Zero for the magical vampire parasites and had superpowers. She went crazy and started killing everyone and destroying everything, so they made a bunch of lovely knockoff vampires to fight her since they're immortal. You're part of Operation Queenslayer and kill her, but in the process you drink her blood and it "corrupts" you so your buddies try to kill you.

Once the Queen is dead, the government discovers that her body is indestructible and she's going to regenerate at this rate and put everything back to square one. The only solution they can come up with to stop this is to split her body up Simon's Quest style and seal the body parts into various revenants who have the aptitude required to contain the Queen's power to some degree. These are called successors. Aurora(the boss of Anor Londo) is one, and Karen(Louis's sister) is also one. After a successor inherits their part, they get sealed away in a Crypt both to stop other revenants from loving with them and to keep them contained because holding the Queen's parts inevitably drives you insane.

As for Anor Londo, without getting into significant spoilers, it's said later in the story that the successor can magically choose the form of their Crypt and that they should choose something that makes them comfortable and at ease, so I guess either Karen or Aurora decided the most comfortable place for them to be imprisoned forever was "floating maze cathedral".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

All bayonets are shotguns if you hold power attack.

This isn't true. There's three different shot types, based on what Bayonet you have equipped:

-Short range type(example: Lost Bayonet): Fires a short ranged shot with a normal heavy attack, or a wide horizontal spread of 5 bullets with a charged heavy.
-Shotgun type(example: Riot Breaker): Fires a shotgun blast with a normal heavy attack, or a larger piercing shotgun blast with a charged heavy.
-Sniper type(example: Rubellite Piercer): Fires a fast long ranged shot with a normal heavy attack, or a slower-but-more-powerful long ranged attack with a charged heavy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The game is ludicrously generous with haze/souls. I unlock every gift as a matter of course and level up in spurts and still regularly have tens to hundreds of thousands depending on the last time I got new codes/remembered to level up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Merilan posted:

That boss is an outlier in particular in that it's the only one that was made far easier with a build change for me - being at range provokes the charge attacks way too often and makes her unnecessarily difficult, so I just Big Sworded her

That boss is easily the most difficult of the initial few areas. I do a lot of coop for funsies and that boss kills hosts more than pretty much any other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I started the game using big chonky 2H melee and switched to bayonets in the first area because I wanted to see how they played. I struggled hugely with them compared to 2H melee but stubbornly stuck to them and have played them through most of the game as I got more used to it.

IMO, this game kind of flips the normal Souls paradigm of "ranged/magic easy, melee hard" on its head; playing a big chonky low-ichor melee build is way easier than a shooty or nerd build because you do huge damage with normal swings and have huge stagger on all your attacks so you can often stunlock normal enemies to death and stagger bosses quickly. Meanwhile, magic/ranged has solid damage but the limitations of the ichor system mean that you need to close in for backstabs/parries/drains or normal melee, except your normal melee is much weaker and staggers less so it's riskier to use, and most of the good magic armors have lovely damage values so your backstabs are trash.

Bayonet isn't terrible. With the ranged buff and a good bayonet code(Artemis or Hunter) you can pump out some extremely serious DPS by chaining heavy shots, especially with the Riot Breaker or Mia's bayonet. The problem that you run into is that bayonet melee is extremely mediocre due to being awkward/having zero stagger and also pretty bad at generating ichor(typically 2-3 hits for an ichor pip on most weapons), so you either need to run an alt weapon to generate ichor, run a drain-enhanced bayonet to fuel yourself, or just get used to using the crap melee(which is what I did).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

To explain the confusion(plot spoilers i guess?):

There's two potential codes from each successor. If you find and visit all of the successor's memories(all of the Isis vestiges from Anor Londo, for example) BEFORE you fight the boss in question, you can save the successor after they turn to stone and you receive their "human" code - in that case, the Isis code from Aurora. If you don't collect all of the vestiges for the boss and visit them before you fight the boss, they stay dead and you receive their Queen code - in this case, the Queen's Ribcage. The codes are mutually exclusive in one playthrough, so you can't get both Isis and Queen's Ribcage without NG+.

Whether or not you save each successor apparently determines which ending you get, as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

I had just found all of the codes and that was all I needed to save them.

If this is true then that's good to know, I've cobbled together this info from reading a bunch of posts in various places so it's still a little fuzzy.

I've been meticulously clearing every area/checking every memory as soon as I find it before progressing so I didn't even know there was a "bad" resolution to things until I read a post about it and then did some research into it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yakumo has nothing on Io, who if you're unlocking the Eos vestiges gets multiple insanely damaging nukes that she loves to chain together.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The areas are extremely tedious without a partner because the enemies tend to be numerous and very damaging and have no qualms about attacking you from off camera, and your healing supplies are very limited. They feel well tuned for a partner and kind of frustrating without. Bosses, on the other hand, are kind of the other way around - you can get carried through a lot of boss fights pretty hard by your companions.

That said, the companions are fun and the game feels less alive and interesting without them so I just tend to keep them around all the time. Who gives a poo poo about e-honor or whatever, do what's fun.

Throumbas posted:

Wait, so unlocking vestiges for your ai partners gives them new abilities?

Only for Io, and this is only based on my personal anecdotal experience - Io started off using a big nasty lightning nuke, and when I cleared the mountain with the good ending and got the Eos fragment there she started using an ice nuke as well. My friend who got the bad ending on the mountain was curious since he's farther than me and never saw Io use an ice nuke.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Stickman posted:

In the Ridge of Frozen Souls what am I missing about the brute frost giant enemies? Once they're armored up, nothing I do seems to damage them, except randomly my partner will one-shot them (though more often they get one-shot themselves by the ridiculous Blanka attack). Fire gifts seem to tickle them, but not enough to take them down. The only way I've been reliably able to kill them is to keep dodging until they roll off a cliff.

Their ice armor buff can be broken by hitting them with sufficient fire damage. It takes quite a bunch to do it but when you do you'll hear a shattering sound effect and they'll stagger. Both Fire Weapon buffed attacks and fire gifts count.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Some things definitely resist it if they're not outright immune, though. Gilded Hunter has a sufficient amount of poison resistance that even with a poison weapon + poison buff you probably won't poison him until he's just about to pop his phase 2, which incidentally cleanses all debuffs on him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

God I wish I could make a female character and not feel like a degenerate

Just...wear the normal t-shirt and skirt outfit, or the outfit which has a button-up shirt with tie and shorts/skirt?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 2, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrManiac posted:

nope, I'd be ok with them if that was the case. The one that really made me mad was the second cathedral one because it spawns a bunch of the halberd ladies and if you try to run up a ladder or something they'll pop right on top in super closed quarters.

[e] I don't get the bayonet. It's supposed to be a light support weapon for casters right? Why does the projectile cost icor? It doesn't do that much damage and if you're paying anyway you might as well use magic. It takes a bunch of hits to down anything and your hit box is garbage. I switch to a halberd I found and I instantly started sailing through the area with the exact same build. It does way more damage, staggers often, and every hit is a huge AOE.

The light support weapon for casters is actually the 1H sword. The bayonet is actually functionally the dagger/knife equivalent of the game - extremely rapid attacks and incredibly high mobility at the cost of poo poo stagger. If built for, the gunshots do very impressive damage for low ichor and can be fired repeatedly in succession with no cooldown.

A good bayonet build isn't a nerd build, it's a high dex dodgy melee build focused around dancing around and butt stabbing and stacking buffs and primarily relying on gunshots as ranged pokes when you can't get in or you need to finish something off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Which female characters are you thinking of for that none of the ones I can remember off the top of my head are like that

Emily and Naomi are pretty much entirely that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Drain attacks are nice when a boss is in their obligatory "I'm nearly invulnerable because I'm powering up" phase - the damage is still reduced but you gain buttloads of ichor off drains.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The balance is weird because the bosses are way too easy with a partner but the areas are mega tedious without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Use your partners. They're very strong and basically all of the areas are balanced around the idea that you'll have a constant NPC buddy helping you and taking heat off you.