Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
CantaPerMe seems to like it so far

https://twitter.com/MH_Canta/status/1176016621363716096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hm neat, someone finally taking advantage of the Lost Odyssey idea?

quote:

While the main plot relies on cutscenes, many of the individual characters' stories play out through blood echoes, slow-moving story sequences where you walk (very slowly) through corridors with still images that sync up to audio logs. I don’t have a problem with this kind of secondary storytelling, but I wish that more of these more interesting stories could have been better integrated into the main plot, rather than bringing the pace to a crawl to develop its characters and deliver important details about the world.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
A lot of the reviews were mentioning it was the AI teammate that really seemed to control their difficulty curves. People who were frustrated by a poor AI thought the game was too hard, others whose AI was acting correctly thought the game was too easy. One reviewer said the game's difficulty was erratic as a result, another thought the entire game was easy all the time as long as you had an AI period.

So my take away was, if you want the game to be more difficult, drop the AI partner and go solo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

King of Solomon posted:

I think it was mostly the lack of enemy variety becoming apparent.
This tends to be a trait in all B tier budget games sadly, I won't be surprised if this suffers the same

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Got to play a bunch. Controls are a bit floaty but there seems to be some protection about rolling off a cliff at least. Otherwise had a good time, games pretty stylish.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Think you just need to beat the boss of an area for the NPC to show up. The 100% seems to be for chests and maybe vestiges? I have 100% and I use that scan for drops ability and still see I have things to pick up (that I can never find)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There being no animation for using a mistle and it just cutting to black is extremely jarring to me.
There's a bunch of stuff like this. I enjoy the door opening animation lol

Game is a bit janky for sure but I'm having a lot of fun

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish the blood trials didn't respawn, what's up with that ugh

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a map on the wall at the home base that you can click on and it'll tell you what to do next fwiw

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Are the maps really chalices like the reviewers said? They seem pretty static side content for Davis to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I haven't even seen this stripper pole boss. Where is that when people are hitting 9? I just cleared the trenches and was like level 20, I did do like "half the foggy area before the story was like you should go back and do the other path!". The enemies in there were dropping truck tons of haze.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ohhh that's weird the cutscene in the middle of that area is like "hmm we must've missed something let's go back" but then I guess you get another ?? scene right after that which might invite you to continue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Blood shield has been a lifesaver for my solo run when it comes to bosses. It's really hard to find viable weapons though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Level is independent of blood code afaik, raise it up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mainly it's just been blood trials that have spiked my blood pressure while soloing. It tends to expose all the bad things about the controls, movesets, and poise to me. Like if I roll from an enemy and buffer an input I expect the move to fire in the direction of the enemy but it instead goes off in whatever direction I rolled towards (which usually means I die)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Most codes only seem to have one or two gifts sadly

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh? The lowest gift count for any code (aside from the preorder bonus one) is 4. Most have 6-8 and your teammates have 10 or 11!

I meant one or two good ones heh, the teammate ones tend to have a few more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anor Londo: did I miss a lot of area somehow or does the memory stuff just happen in the middle? I assume I should do memory instead of 100% Anor Londo?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Cool thanks, just wasn't sure if I was missing some good end bad end ambiguous choice.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Saint Freak posted:

Make sure you get the mistle like 10 feet past it first.

gently caress

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Merilan posted:

i made a Fortified Zweihander and realised I have 100 defence and can literally hold L1 and tank everything
That Zweihander is so good, I won't be surprised if it's one of the best weapons in the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Thumbtacks posted:

Are there more accessories you can unlock in game? I know you can change them around at some point, but are there more options than what we have on character creation?
Think all that stuff is packed into DLC if it goes by past God Eater entries

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Blue bar is your focus meter has filled up. It's the bar in the lower left hand corner, you start in the middle of the bar and the carets separate as it fills up. When they reach near the ends of the bar then it turns blue and starts shrinking again. You get increased poise and stuff when you are focused, and any of those passives that activate during focus will turn on too. It also enables launch attacks (R1+Triangle) which knock people and you do your veil attack on them. Think you have to do a charged launch attack for bigger targets, and some targets will be immune to launch for a little bit after being launched once.

Level 1 is probably doable, the blood code sets your baseline stat grades so you could just equip whatever blood code gives you the weapon you want. No gifts would suck, and level 1 solo without companion is probably the stuff of nightmares but then again someone recently played through all the Dark Souls games in one session without ever getting hit so there you go.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man there's so much haze in the ridge I'm just gaining levels by the handfuls cause there's nothing left to even buy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All the builds really opened for me after cathedral. Caster build is especially strong with the Isis blood code, since you want to attach some physical emphasis anyway for drain rating and slower weapons having an increased drain rating is nice. The weight limit on that code is obscenely high but the mobility rating will only let you flex to normal.

Blood veil weights bother me a lot. I can take a half letter upgrade on using some veil at 80 weight or I can ignore that and use one at like 30 weight. Defenses are really hard to understand their impact too. Having to divert mats to upgrading veils for better magic is also slightly irksome but at least they stay relevant for awhile.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the stat scaling on veils for magic is really noticeable. Even just a hundred points added almost a 1000 damage to the B scaling spells.

It took me awhile to find out but I think the required stat listed for the spell also doubles as the scaling stat. Makes it a lot easier to sift the lemons from the good ones.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drunken Baker posted:

Are there any quality of life things to know going in blind?
Think the big one that isn't related to mechanics is that there's two quick item menus. When you go into your main character screen, there's a bar of items and that assigns to the D-Pad. You can also click on the touchpad while playing normally to bring up a second quick item use that you customize right there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stickman posted:

I get the impression that the invasion waves actually spawn at fixed points (though that can change between waves), so if you move the fight away from where they're spawning you'll have a little more breathing room. Doesn't help too much the first time you initiate the invasion, though!
Ahahah so the not-Anor Londo one - I ran backwards and up the ladder. The enemies that spawned below, will "respawn" on top of the ladder so you can get some free hits on them that way. They'll either continue to spawn below the ladder and then do the respawn to the top, or they'll spawn in like the previous tower's big room and run to where you are standing. Well I thought hmm this isn't quite broken enough to abuse, what else could I do?

Well it turns out if you climb all the way to the top of the tower, they won't spawn up there but will use the other two spawn spots like I described above. It was also here at the top of the tower I discovered you can do the completely overpowered falling attack from literally any height you just have to be 'falling' period. So I just kept going to the top of the tower and then walking into the stairwell and doing the jump attack with the Zweihander for like 3k damage and staggering everything. Walk back up the two steps and repeat falling attack. After killing a wave, I just ran back down to see what if anything spawned and rinse/repeated the run up the tower+falling attack spam until it was all over.

I don't know why I do the waves myself, they're either super fun or you get the real nasty ones with the Lost that do nothing but run at you and do a charge attack. Those are just absolutely brutal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The hilarious dirty caster trick is to time all those orb abilities for when the boss is phase transitioning. Poor gilded hunter never knew what hit him.

Stacking the drain buff active with the drain up passive gets you so much ichor too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I particularly like the Queenslayer Halberd moveset .

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think blocking is extremely strong, I wish it was something I had realized earlier when playing. So many animations can be cancelled with a block, like all those double weapon swings and stuff. I was blocking with a halberd that had like 60-70 ratings and the chip damage is hardly anything once you're walking around with a real health pool. I'm guessing the heal gift from queenslayer works on it too, it works on the infinite stamina gift too as an aside.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I spent 50 points to get Louis' weapon and it's worse than the generic Hanemukuro you can buy from the store with seemingly no upside. :cheerdoge:
It has better scaling if I recall correctly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They prob goofed by not scaling vs solo/having companion.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I don't even know what's going on with the sand boss p2 and whoever put an elevator in the run back is mean

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Doubling down with the cinematic long rear end hallway too is also just lol??

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty steamed that fighting the palette swapped version of the sand boss actually lets you see what's going on and it's a total push over as a result.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Triarii posted:

I think getting the good ending basically boils down to "whenever you see one of the attendants before a boss fight, make sure you've gotten all the vestiges in that area before continuing."

Edit: Oh yeah, and when Io asks you to take her with you into the final area, do that.
Hm like as a companion?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does the queen Knight reborn really need to blink 15 times in a row

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm the Executioner seems like it'd better than the argent wolf blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fwiw the requirements for the best ending + bonus scene: you don't have to bring a companion at all to the end even though the story heavily advises it. I purposefully left some vestiges unrepaired and finished the game under the first half of the best ending requirements, and that worked out but didn't give me the best ending exclusive blood code. Then reloaded, repaired all the vestiges, and finished the game again and that gave me the bonus scene + best ending blood code.

I think that's the way to go if you want to shave one play through from getting the all endings trophy.