Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

pmchem posted:

Any souls like is easy if you overlevel/overgear enough, and we’ve all got gud compared to DkS1. This game is a little different, definitely fun, and worth taking it at your own pace.

Agreed. I think it's a lot less 'game is easy' and more like 'if you've played a Souls game before (likely), you know the score'. Like, you know you're not going to charge into that wide-open area because you know Souls games have pulled that poo poo before and there are a ton of enemies waiting to own your rear end. So you take it slow on the side paths and take out the dudes in waiting one-by-one.

Even the early game will punish you if you're careless. The big dudes can take away over half of your life in a single hit if you're rolling as a low-level Caster, so discretion is the name of the game.

I will admit that I had a flashback to Demon's Souls - as my first death was accidentally falling into a pit, much like how one of my first Demon's Souls deaths was accidentally falling into that pit near the beginning of Boletarian Palace 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Drakes posted:

Yeah you can put the ai buddy away, Yakumo is probably the best general partner since he tanks and spanks pretty well. I suggest using the ai partners if you're going to be mucking around and grinding out blood codes/masteries. Especially with how bad the healing is in this game vs the incoming damage for a souls like.

I also quite like Io as a partner. She doesn't tank as well, and she certainly needs to be wearing more clothing when you go to the snowy mountain with her, but she can hit hard with her Gifts/Halberd and heals you for a poo poo-ton if you get taken down to zero (although it usually tanks her health pretty hard - combined with the enemy's attention now being on her, she usually winds up getting finished off by the enemy shortly thereafter).