Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
To run, hold down R1/RB.

Anyway, what's the difference between having a bloodcode with say medium base mobility and having one with quick base mobility, but only half as much weight? Doesn't both result in the same actual mobility once equipment is added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Vermain posted:

The system is a bit confusing. Think of Mobility as consisting of three different "steps": Quick, Medium, and Slow (and possibly an Ultra Slow step; I've seen references to it, but never tested it). If the weight of your equipped weapon and your blood veil are >=50% but <100%, you'll have the Mobility step of what your equipped Blood Code provides. If you're at <50%, you'll move down one step from that base Mobility (from Slow -> Medium or Medium -> Quick), and if you're at <20%, you'll move down two steps instead.

For a practical example of the difference you're mentioning: suppose that I have an equipment weight of exactly 54. I can either equip a Medium Blood Code with a 100 weight limit, or a Quick Blood Code with a 55 weight limit. The latter will give me Quick mobility (because I'm still <100% of my weight limit), while the former will give me Medium (since 54 is >50% of 100).
I mentioned half weight for a reason, 54 weight with either a 100 weight medium base or a 50 weight quick will both result in medium mobility. I got confused because due to the weights I used when playing, a quick base would always give the same mobility as a normal base with double weight. Seeing the actual data, I can see that there is a difference, but I'm still questioning the point of it. The difference between a slow base and normal base with half weight is that from >20% to 25% of the slow base bloodcode's weight, you have normal mobility were as you'd have quick with the normal base bloodcode. For all other values, you get identical mobility. I have a hard time imagining that narrow range serving an important balance purpose that justifies this extra complexity. Quick base bloodcodes vs normal with double weight is a bit more meaningful, you get a difference all the way from >135% to 200% of the quick base bloddcode's weight, which is quite a range.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I think Elemental Wall is one of the few buffs that actually scales with your gift stat, light in this case. This will also make Bridge to Glory stronger. Anyway, what worked for me against the Cannoneer and Blade Bearer was having Io tank the Cannoneer while I kill Blade Bearer. With high Light Gift and Bridge to Glory, the Blade Bearer died long before Io did. Cannoneer is not hard once he's alone. Letting Io tank the Blade Bearer did not work, she often came for me anyway.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Fortification is always good unless it lowers your mobility one step. If you switch around blood codes, you may not know though. This goes for some later suggestions as well.

Intensification and Gifts are obvious, do you get increased damage or not? Alleviation can be good if it raises your mobility and you're relying a lot on Bridge To Glory. Stun is also good is BTG provides a large percentage of damage. Finally, Devour is good if you're relying on offensive gifts and mainly attack to restore Ichor. I have no idea about the others.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 9, 2019

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I beat the game. Unfortunately, I have to qualify it as Dark Souls/Bloodborne minus. Worse balance, worse map design and the game uses far more cutscenes and dialog to tell a story that's not better. The character editor is much better though. Other aspect qualify as different rather than better or worse. Overall, it's still fun though, it just could have been much better. Time for a new character, I'm not tackling new game+ or +1 star or whatever they're calling it yet.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The light gift stat only affect the buffs Bridge to Glory and Elemental Wall as far as I know. All other buffs have a set power. There are also a few offensive gifts affected by light gift, the spike type and barrage type gifts.

Parry/backstab damage is determined by your drain attack stat.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One major problem I have with this game, it does not seem to be balanced for either solo or using a partner. If you use a partner, most fights are too easy. If you go solo, there are a lot of gameplay elements that works against you. You get too few regenerations for solo. You also have no good means of handling groups of enemies aside from one shoot dark gift area of effect. I know of no enemies who are staggered with only one blow from a light weapon. In Dark Souls, most enemies do not have poise. Here, you need a large weapon to stun even the weakest enemies in one blow. This makes crowd control near nonexistent.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

mistaya posted:

Is there a reason NOT to just continue upgrading my lost bayonet all the way to the end because I've found a few others but I don't really like any of them as much? Also I guess I'm not supposed to be using this heavy coat as a ranger but it looks rad and that's really the point here. :colbert:
One issue with the Lost Bayonet is the poor scaling. This will matter more and more as you gain levels since levels affect scaling. For example, I'm using the Obliterator Axe and the damage is about 30% base damage and 70% scaling. Granted, your scaling is based on base damage and the Lost Bayonet has the second highest base damage, so the scaling is not that bad despite the letters being low.

Also, keep in mind that the Lost Bayonet has poor range, but fires in a spread pattern. You can use two weapons, so feel free to combine it with a Bayonet Rifle with longer range.

There are two characters who uses Bayonet Rifles, check out both of their weapons as well as Queenslayer Bayonet.

Do note that it's easy to compare damage, unless you have elemental damage on the weapon, each upgrade increases the damage with 10%. So if you have say your Lost Bayonet upgraded to +6, just shoot the punching bag with whatever other weapon you want to test and multiply the damage with 1.6 to figure out what damage it would have done upgraded to the same level. That is assuming it's unupgraded. If you like the Lost Bayonet's heavy attack, do that comparison with the Bayonet occasionally.

As for armor, there is no rule saying you need to have quick mobility with quick weapons. It's just that you can have quick mobility with them. With a Zweihander, you can forget it unless you use a temporary mobility improving effect, so you may as well just get as much armor as you can. With light weapons, you can get quick mobility. Also, the game will later give you an additional advantage with Quick mobility, but that's then.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or just use a companion.

If you fire, cold and all resistance buffs they basically can't hurt you at all.
To expand on this a bit, if you get a Winter Mantle, upgrade it to a decent level and then transform it into fire and casts elemental wall, you will have over 100 fire and ice resistance.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I started a no companion playtrough and I found the butterfly boss very difficult. I ended up going to the dark watery dungeon first and return later with a +4 Impaler (which seems like one of the best polearms BTW). it fell after a few tries then. My suspicion is that late game bosses will be easier than early game bosses. The reason I think so is because companions are much stronger than you early on while later in game, you will be stronger than them. We'll see.

Anyway, anyone interested in more information about transforming equipment?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ulio posted:

What's a good transform for blood veil if I have a dex build? I took the one that extends gifts in blood veil and drain for weapon..
There is no specific good transformation for a dex build, but it's probably not Gifts. Gifts increases your base attack to 150%, but completely kills the scaling. This may be a good deal early game, but pretty quickly results in a loss of power, even with weapons and veils with poor scaling. Other than that, it also increases the effect of some gifts affecting the equipment itself by 50%. Note, it does not make gifts stronger per say, it just makes them have a greater effect on the piece of equipment with Gifts itself.

Let's take an example, say you have two one handed swords equipped, one with Gifts and one without. If you cast Final Journey, it will normally increase the attack of your weapons by 50%. However, the weapon with Gifts will have its attack increased by 75% (150% of 50%) instead. Likewise, bridge to glory normally increases your attack by 50% of your light gift stat, but the weapon with Gifts will get 75% of your light gift stat instead. Note that in both cases, only the weapon with Gifts receive the increased benefit, the other gains the normal benefit. This even works with passive gifts, one handed sword mastery will increase the attack of the weapons without Gifts by 20% and the weapon with Gifts by 30%. Not all gifts are affected though, Swift Destruction for example will still increase the damage of a weapon with Gifts by 10%/20% respectively, it does not get bumped up to 15%/30%. Finally, Circulating Pulse itself would not be affected if used with the weapon with Gifts since Circulating Pulse doesn't affect the weapon itself.

Gifts on your blood veil will in practice only make the drain attack and your gifts stats weaker due to you killing the scaling.

As for a good blood veil transformation, Normal or Drain could work. Fortify is good if it doesn't change your mobility, but I bet it would and Alleviation is only useful for improving mobility which you can't if you already have quick. If your blood veil has both a strength and dexterity scaling, Intesify will probably make the drain attack stronger than Normal, but your gift stats will suffer for now. The higher your level, the better Intensify is. Try out Drain and revert to normal if you don't like it.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Playing solo, I had problem with the butterfly boss and the invading pole-dancer, but the queen's knight and the successor of ribcage fell easily enough. It felt like I just wasn't able to deal enough damage to the earlier mentioned bosses. I'm not surprised though, I did get the impression that earlier bosses would be harder to solo than later ones.

I wonder why the game gives you the two sword type masteries fairly early, but locks bayonet and halberd mastery until much later. That said, Impaler and Mia's Brodiea seem to have no problem competing with all swords I've tested so far. Maybe I've just happened upon the bad swords though, weapons in this game do not seem anywhere close to equal.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If it's the dress up aspect you're caring about, it's very robust in some areas, but very shallow in others.

The game allows you to add a lot of accessories and it counts pieces of hairdo, like pigtails, as accessories. This allows you to a great extent customize your hairstyle. For example, if you want a girl with twin pigtails, you're not limited to hair styles who already has them, you can pick any hairstyle and then add the pigtails. There are also other ways to get creative, such as the previously mentioned chesthair.

However, the default outfits are very limiting and there's surprising few selections. Boys have functional outfits, but they feel rather similarish. Girls have the opposite problem, their outfits are very varied, but most of them are weird and have a narrow appeal. To get it out of the way; a lot of the girl outfits are scrimpy. Even the scimpyness is handles strange, mass appeal options like the classic bare midriff is not there, instead they went with a slew of narrow appeal options. While the accessory options are rather robust, you can do very little in terms of actual clothing, so you're stuck with what they give you. Overall, I got the impression that there was an artist with too much say who choose the outfits that appeal to him rather than the masses.

As for the game as a whole, it's fun, but still Dark Souls/Bloodborne minus. I enjoy it, but I don't see myself playing it as much as those two games.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That doesn't seem worth it to me and I'm going giving it a pass. To be honest, I don't want a DLC, I want a Code Vein 2. Code Vein is fun enough to play, but has some serious flaws that a Code Vein 2 could fix, but a DLC cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I found the cannon fodder enemies fun enough to solo, but some the bosses ended up boring me, in particular the sand one that has a way too long run distance between tries. Regardless, I solo most of the stuff and bring a partner whenever soloing stops being fun.

Anyway, anyone else finding that some weapon categories have very few good weapons? When it comes to halberds, I've yet to see any good reason to use any other weapon than the Obliterator or the Impaler. As for hammers, the only one that seems good is the Argent Wolf Warhammer. It can get 100% physical block, has good damage at higher levels and an area sweep attack for every basic attack. I can see a case made for Huge Hammer with a shockwave build though.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 9, 2020