Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AceClown posted:

found the problem :v:

yeah lukki kind of sucks rear end, it's fun at first but really inconvenient in the end, i kind of knew this but it was hard to see what it was since it was covered in slime when i found it so i just picked it up and tried to make the best of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i wonder what made my wand in that game so deadly, i put some things together and it did like 1400 per hit, the wand had always cast critical hit so that probably had something to do with it, it also had very high mana regen and good reload times

i put on a multicast set to trigger a few shotgun shells (i had the perk to reduce spread so they just fired all in a straight line), i put a damage amplifier on that, but damage amplifiers on their own usually dont result in such a powerful wand. the only other things on there were a reload speed increase and a passive shield and a frost charge, are crits that significant or is frost just very powerful?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Frost charge and damage bonuses add flat damage to each projectile affected, and criticals multiply damage (I think it's a 5x multiplier). IIRC Damage Plus is +8 damage and Freeze Charge is +3. If you multicast 2 Triplicate Bolts then that's 6 projectiles apiece that each deal ((5 base damage) + (8 damage plus) + (3 freeze charge)) * (5x multiplier on crits) = 80 damage apiece, so 480 damage if they all hit. Add more projectiles and/or more modifiers with bonus damage, and it gets even higher.

Mind, the Crit+ modifier doesn't guarantee crits; you need an "Always Critical" spell with the appropriate modifier (bloody, oily, drunk, etc.) and a stained enemy for that. Or a lot more crit chance boosters.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Concentrated spells also has a hidden damage boost to all your spells of, according to the wiki, +13 (and a hidden cast delay penalty). That's why it's so good with shotguns

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Concentrated spells is more bonkers though because it adds a +13 damage to each projectile for each shot at the same time. So triplicate bolt is launching 3 shots where each shot is getting +39.

Also, if it works, it works. What do you mean "it's unnerving"?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wait, does that further combine with multicasts? Triplecast and three triplicate bolts for 9*13 bonus damage on every single projectile?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya it does some goofy things, though it never seems to do exactly the numbers you'd expect for some reason. The slowdown is a serious issue though.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Torquemadras posted:

Only the jungle afterwards loving murders me every time. Holy poo poo. How do I get good at this, my runs are basically doomed if I don't get a machine gun before or during the ice world
Look into trigger spells like spark bolt with trigger. With those you can use almost any of the multicast spells to create a beast of a wand using basically any high damage spell regardless of bad it is casting on its own.

The easiest to start with is spark bolt w/ trigger + triplicate bolt, and build out from there by adding spell modifiers like crit+ or a multicast and more damaging spells. You won't get a machinegun wand in most cases because you want as much damage as possible per cast so they're generally high mana use, but you can easily do a few hundred damage per shot by Hiisi base.

When you're looking at those kind of wands perks become more important as well - lightning immunity and explosion immunity mean you can toss massive damage spells that would otherwise murder you right on there and blast away.

e; i skipped a page and TooMuchAbstraction mostly explained this, and better!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait, does that further combine with multicasts? Triplecast and three triplicate bolts for 9*13 bonus damage on every single projectile?

i think this is what happened with my wand

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bug: if you have perk lottery and win the lottery roll while taking a gamble perk, trying to pick up one of the leftover original perks and losing the lottery roll will wipe the gamble perks.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I scrolled to the wrong wand

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You're a fuckin suicide bomber

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Now I want there to be a spell that's specifically "casts a dozen bombs", and randomly you start with that instead of the regular bomb wand. It can have the same cost as the regular bomb wand, even.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nightmare mode: always a good decision.

also, wheeee~!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://i.imgur.com/w0DT28B.mp4

:negative:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i had a fantastic luminous drill > crit plus > freeze > shotgun > extra mana > extra mana wand that could cast infinitely at super high speed

went to the shop in hiisi base, dug up to get to the portal using said wand since I had some teleportatium, then immediately learned that the hourglass causes an earthquake if you break it, killing me instantly

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I had my best run yet, finally had a taste of thinking I'd get a win finally. Had 400hp, a wand with healing vigour always cast and a kill laser wand.

Got killed by my previous run ghost in the vault who stun locked me with my old broken rear end wand all the way to death.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i also learned that electric items can spawn in chests that're underwater, instantly killing you when you open the chest and expose the electricity

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

eke out posted:

i also learned that electric items can spawn in chests that're underwater, instantly killing you when you open the chest and expose the electricity

I've had several promising and even one already off-the-track run ended like that. You'd think that at some point I'd learn...

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

eke out posted:

It will always be the run where you forget to get the chest out of the water or remove the water around the chest where it is full of lightning. There is no other way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It will always be the run where you forget to get the chest out of the water or remove the water around the chest where it is full of lightning. There is no other way.

haha honestly i have a lot of hours in this game, i'm always impressed to find new fundamental ways to kill myself that've been there all along and i've just never discovered before

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can just shoot the chest from a distance.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

resistentialism posted:

You can just shoot the chest from a distance.

Yea but then you end up breaking that vial of ambrosia or whatever you've been looking for all game.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
In the newer beta if you put pheromone on a mimic it poops out gold and flasks. If you put it in ambrosia you can do it forever, or at least until it hocks a flask of acid or something at you.

Some nice touches in the latest beta updates honestly, I'd recommend everyone to switch to it on Steam. I can't think of a single gamebreaking issue I've hit in any of the betas; most of the rough edges are on new bosses and areas more than anything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AceClown posted:

Interesting, it's also considering the energy shield a spell on the three cast too!

but you can see it's completely ignoring the last three chainsaws.

Edit: this really isn't making any logical sense :psyduck:

Noita: this really isn't making any logical sense

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What's the trick to hissi base? Feels like every time I'm in there I get swarmed and murdered to death

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The easy mode answer is all-seeing eye and something that can penetrate metal walls, like ping-pong luminous drill or speed boosted glowing lance. The more boring answer is just maintaining cover, not surrounding yourself with unexplored territory and kiting back while playing patiently.

And pheromone on the healers.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

w00tmonger posted:

What's the trick to hissi base? Feels like every time I'm in there I get swarmed and murdered to death

Option A: have some version of a murder wand on-line.

Option B: have some sort of normal-ish wand, and some sort of high bundled dmg (magic missile or the like). You'd use your limited spells to blow up robots and fat hissi dudes, and the other wand for everything else.

If you don't have an explody wand for robots they'll take a while but you can corner snipe basically all of them. If possible explore into new areas from the top: the hissi aren't great at shooting straight up, but they're pretty good at down/straight. The fat hissi are actually just a bunch of them in a trenchcoat and they come tumbling out, so be ready for a bunch of them and kit backwards.

After the initial start where you might have some trouble (leverage your levitation to go back up the pipe a tad and rain death downwards), generally its just making sure you pull back as you start clearing and run into guys, and don't try to rush forwards. I find hissi base less scary than the ice caves, because while there are more enemies they have trouble being off-screen and attacking you unlike in the caves.

And watch out for explosives, and sometimes when lights take damage they can electrify/explode stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A few things to keep in mind with the Hiisi Base:

- the fluorescent lights spark when destroyed. This can shock you, with usual (for Noita) results.
- Watch the hell out for propane tanks. They can be buried in snowdrifts and explode suddenly when the fighting starts and they get clipped by an errant shot.
- You can get pretty stunning amounts of blood from enemies, depending on your loadout. This can conduct electricity (if I recall correctly), put out fires, hide more propane tanks, and be used to fill the secret hourglass to get some money which is neat but not particularly useful.
- Speaking of secrets, if you bring a Broken Wand to the anvil on the level you can get a free high-level wand that can come stocked with really rare spells.

My usual path is to head right to the zone wall, then go down from there. If there's ever enemies above you, get their attention and then retreat until either you have the height advantage or at least they aren't above you. It's usually pretty easy to plink enemies as they come around the corner.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the mushroom spell in a trigger just murders robots, holy poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

learned that in the newest beta, by eating 200s worth of fungus, you trip hard enough you turn all of one substance in the world into another

so enemies can uhh bleed lava, for instance

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

eke out posted:

learned that in the newest beta, by eating 200s worth of fungus, you trip hard enough you turn all of one substance in the world into another

so enemies can uhh bleed lava, for instance
I got teleportatium to blood and it deleted all of the holy mountain portals, you ruined my run!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Gripper posted:

I got teleportatium to blood and it deleted all of the holy mountain portals, you ruined my run!

lmao

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Sounds like the game is better than ever!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Moments before disaster:

Disaster:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SillyPeskyIsabellinewheatear-mobile.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what do you even say after a death like that :negative:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ciaphas posted:

https://youtu.be/QpN1220dTZk

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

three runs tonight with potential to be long runs.

Tinker anywhere on two of them
one with ping pong lumi drill
and the cherry on the top was an always cast black hole wand...

Every one dead from utter bullshit and this response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I rage uninstalled the game and immediately reinstalled it because that’s the only power I have over Noita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/JFa4Lw5.mp4

Sniped by my own cordyceps while trying to nip a nugget off an electric trap box.