Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive never seen electricity just go through everything like that. usually it only travels through liquids or metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Hihohe posted:

Ive never seen electricity just go through everything like that. usually it only travels through liquids or metal.

The ionized biome modifier causes this effect.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ahh, havent got that one yet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

animatorZed posted:

The ionized biome modifier causes this effect.

Serious bullshit if true

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I made iiiiit

Got my first ending, Midas. I had a killer combo of explosion and fire immunity. So I just threw all the fire stuff I had at a trigger spell with quadruple triple shoot, spewing flame particles absolutely everywhere. It was pretty sweet.

That being said, how do spell modifier work? I noticed that, if I placed the fire trail modifier before the trigger spell, only the trigger spell itself would get the fire; the spell that was triggered (my quadruple triple shot) didn't get it. When I placed the fire trail AFTER the trigger spell, but BEFORE the quadruple, all four of the triple shots got the fire. I placed the crit plus modifier in front of quadruple, too, because I figured that's where the real damage was coming from.

This entire setup goddamn collapsed when I had a DOUBLE trigger spell. I had no goddamn clue which spell after it was triggered with which modifiers. I stopped fiddling when the stupid guardian attacked for no discernible reason (...worms?), and went back to single-trigger in shame.

Just how much wand bullshit is there, holy hell

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Torquemadras posted:

Just how much wand bullshit is there, holy hell

Lots :v:

What you're noticing is that Noita casts spells in "spell blocks". Projectile modifiers apply to everything after them that's in the same block. Spark bolt with double trigger casts two distinct blocks on impact (assuming that the spells after it in the wand are appropriately arranged). Typically I don't actually need its "doublecast" ability and just treat it like a regular spark bolt with trigger, albeit with slightly better stats and a small explosion on impact.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Torquemadras posted:

That being said, how do spell modifier work? I noticed that, if I placed the fire trail modifier before the trigger spell, only the trigger spell itself would get the fire; the spell that was triggered (my quadruple triple shot) didn't get it. When I placed the fire trail AFTER the trigger spell, but BEFORE the quadruple, all four of the triple shots got the fire. I placed the crit plus modifier in front of quadruple, too, because I figured that's where the real damage was coming from.
Easiest way to think of it is that modifiers apply to a cast rather than a spell. A double or triple will be one cast that includes 2 or 3 spells so it'll apply to all of them, and a trigger is a single cast so it only applies to that one. For all that and the nuance I've probably glossed over it really only applies to the one thing you noticed above; "if its before trigger it only applies to the trigger spell itself".

Modifiers don't need to go before the quadruple by the way, they can go anywhere in the group of spells that it's going to cast, even at the very end.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Note to self: do not lightsaber open the dragon egg when on a god run and get eaten instantly :negative:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

when you're walking around the temple and suddenly dozens of propane tanks trailing acid come flying at you and explode in a chain reaction

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I want to get better at this game but I'm hot poo poo. Do I just have to learn how to dodge stuff better? I've watched a few videos but I can't seem to make more powerful wands reliably.

Maybe I'm not exploring enough to find the good ones. Only run I ever won in ~50hrs is one where I took a broken wand to the anvil and got a premade hot poo poo.

Also I already have edit wands everywhere mod plus gold heals a little and doesn't disappear and boy howdy maybe this just isn't the game for me.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Most stuff shot at you is pretty easy to dodge with a little practice. Just about every critter in the game shoots directly where you are and doesn't try to lead. If you're moving perpendicularly to their position and not leaning into arced shots they ought to miss you.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

After all the time played, I still think the acid guys at the start are the most obnoxious bastards. They will beeline to you from nowhere, and when they shoot a few times the entire cavern fills up with acid.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Fishbus posted:

After all the time played, I still think the acid guys at the start are the most obnoxious bastards. They will beeline to you from nowhere, and when they shoot a few times the entire cavern fills up with acid.

Do you mean the acid guys or the toxic bolt guys? The acid bags don't actually shoot acid, but they spray it as blood (and tempt you into it with their pile of gold). The toxic bolt guys are the smaller ones that shoot the bolts that leave toxic sludge all over.

The key is that toxic sludge+water (or semi-water like swamp/etc) turns into more water. That is one of the two big reasons that if your starting flask isn't water that you 95% of the time dump it out and go look for water.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

There *are* enemies in the mines sometimes who shoot big acid spheres. I don't find them too annoying because you can shoot down their big, slow projectiles pretty easily.

But yes I also hate the toxic sludge floaty green guys (especially the stronger ones in the coal pits). They seem to have pretty above-average aggro.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ZypherIM posted:

Do you mean the acid guys or the toxic bolt guys? The acid bags don't actually shoot acid, but they spray it as blood (and tempt you into it with their pile of gold). The toxic bolt guys are the smaller ones that shoot the bolts that leave toxic sludge all over.

The key is that toxic sludge+water (or semi-water like swamp/etc) turns into more water. That is one of the two big reasons that if your starting flask isn't water that you 95% of the time dump it out and go look for water.

Ah yeah, I did mean the toxic sludge enemies. Their projectiles have a way of getting sludge everywhere, which is a nightmare to navigate and fight around. It's not quite a problem ONCE they're dead and it's easier to pour water, but in mid fight, if they've launched a few projectiles that have travelled large distances, they generate more sludge than 10x their weight hah.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Roki B posted:

I want to get better at this game but I'm hot poo poo. Do I just have to learn how to dodge stuff better? I've watched a few videos but I can't seem to make more powerful wands reliably.

Maybe I'm not exploring enough to find the good ones. Only run I ever won in ~50hrs is one where I took a broken wand to the anvil and got a premade hot poo poo.

Also I already have edit wands everywhere mod plus gold heals a little and doesn't disappear and boy howdy maybe this just isn't the game for me.

i feel like most good early-game (as in, you hope to get this going or have steps towards getting one going once you finish fungal caverns, and hope to get it online by the time you're in the ice caves) wands boil down to one of a small handful of things:

1. yes-shuffle wand that shoots very fast and has plenty of mana: limited usefulness, but if you can get it really fast or get a bunch of shotguns, it can carry you through hiisi base, but will usually fall off by the time you get to HP sponges in the jungle

2. no-shuffle wand that shoots reasonably fast that you can stack modifiers on: this will basically always be [spell with trigger] > [all the mods you can fit] > [2x/3x cast] > [projectiles]
- this can carry you through end game if you just iterate on it and switch out your base wand as you get bigger, faster, stronger wands and more modifiers

3. luminous drill + some way to extend its range and keep it casting forever: lumi drill is incredible and the main question is can you figure out how to extend its range and get enough mana for it, so always be looking for (1) things that reduce delay, like chainsaws or more lumi drills or reduce recharge (2) things that increase range, like ping-pong path, orbiting path, the slithering path one, etc. and (3) +mana modifiers
- once you get this set up you can just iterate with additional damage+ modifiers as you go along, and can easily win the game with it, since it'll let you kill things through walls
- i also recently learned that Light is really good on this, since it'll let you see whatever you're hitting on the other side of the wall through the fog of war (light is actually way better than i thought on practically everything, and barely costs any mana)

while you have edit wands everywhere via a mod, you should be able to get one of these options pretty consistently, since it's easy to just grab a spell or a modifier here and there from the different wands you come across.

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dr Noita: "have you considered not setting yourself on fire?"
Me, *tactically* barfing into a flask: "sometimes."
Cause of death: fire

then this happens

I see this quite often, chests that glitch-teleport to the surface (collision during mapgen?) contain fairly high-tier wands

But speaking of chests...

The Cozy(?) biome modifier seems to spawn Mimics in the first level, where they're normally not allowed?

when trapped in an inescapable chasm due to crash/autosave, sometimes the run is just doomed to absurdity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that surface chest is just a random thing that can happen. There's a few things like that, e.g. sometimes there'll be a hill big enough that you can just fly over the entrance and go explore the desert.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

finally, some bullshit I can fully blame on the game I could have blocked with projectile eater :negative:

https://i.imgur.com/1KBE7vn.mp4

BMan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2021

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

eke out posted:

learned that in the newest beta, by eating 200s worth of fungus, you trip hard enough you turn all of one substance in the world into another

so enemies can uhh bleed lava, for instance

Learning about this has ruined 100% of my runs. Water turning into anything makes fire and toxic sludge much more hazardous and Hiisi base gets real dumb when enemies bleed solid rock.

Still gonna continue eating far too much fungus.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

BMan posted:

finally, some bullshit I can fully blame on the game I could have blocked with projectile eater :negative:

https://i.imgur.com/1KBE7vn.mp4

what makes it is how casual the guy is the entire time

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darox posted:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Darox posted:

Learning about this has ruined 100% of my runs. Water turning into anything makes fire and toxic sludge much more hazardous and Hiisi base gets real dumb when enemies bleed solid rock.

the people who do insane endgame runs learned that, if you get the right rolls, you can use this to transform your blood into something that doesn't stain you, then stack a few dozen stainless armors from parallel worlds and become effectively immune to damage

this apparently helps a lot when you're doing the absolutely wild Create the Sun quest where the sun is constantly killing you

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

cuntman.net posted:

what makes it is how casual the guy is the entire time

They’re just going to walk this way and fire their giant laser. If you get in the way, that’s not their fault.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fun observation about the Pacifist's Reward chest: except for the mines (for obvious reasons) the "did you kill an enemy on this floor?" variable seems to count kills after you collapse the previous Holy Mountain.

So if you have a way to bypass the earthquake trigger to exit/reenter the mountain, you can clear the biome using any spells (so long as you don't accidentally enter the next Holy Mountain portal) then backtrack to trigger the collapse and pacifist-run through the completely empty level.

Or you can speedrun the level to spawn the chest and then dig back up, but usually this requires teleportatium and/or gettin steve'd.

Either way is kinda pointless to go that far out of your way for a small reward, but what's the point of an insanity-sim game if you don't find ways to go off the rails at every turn?

Also I guess it's one more missable bonus goal to make people ragequit/reroll when attempting the "kill absolutely everything, get all possible loot" challenge/playstyle so if that's you, you're welcome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Generally not useful, but its a handy tip if you find an early teleport spell and then have some bad luck and want to maximize your chances.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

the best and most easily acquirable early game wand is:

Sparkbolt w/trigger > any double casting modifier > two spells, can be whatever really

make sure it's on a non shuffle and it'll carry you through the coal pits and snowy depths easily

added bonus is that you can just throw on whatever modifiers you find and make it better

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Spark bolt with trigger into chainsaw is good with literally nothing else. In a pinch, you can use a timer instead of a trigger; it'll still stuff the chainsaw in your target's face so long as you aren't too far away when you shoot.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AceClown posted:

the best and most easily acquirable early game wand is:

Sparkbolt w/trigger > any double casting modifier > two spells, can be whatever really

make sure it's on a non shuffle and it'll carry you through the coal pits and snowy depths easily

added bonus is that you can just throw on whatever modifiers you find and make it better

Note: do not do this with disc or glowing lance, you'll shoot your eye out

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

i feel like most good early-game (as in, you hope to get this going or have steps towards getting one going once you finish fungal caverns, and hope to get it online by the time you're in the ice caves) wands boil down to one of a small handful of things:

1. yes-shuffle wand that shoots very fast and has plenty of mana: limited usefulness, but if you can get it really fast or get a bunch of shotguns, it can carry you through hiisi base, but will usually fall off by the time you get to HP sponges in the jungle

2. no-shuffle wand that shoots reasonably fast that you can stack modifiers on: this will basically always be [spell with trigger] > [all the mods you can fit] > [2x/3x cast] > [projectiles]
- this can carry you through end game if you just iterate on it and switch out your base wand as you get bigger, faster, stronger wands and more modifiers

3. luminous drill + some way to extend its range and keep it casting forever: lumi drill is incredible and the main question is can you figure out how to extend its range and get enough mana for it, so always be looking for (1) things that reduce delay, like chainsaws or more lumi drills or reduce recharge (2) things that increase range, like ping-pong path, orbiting path, the slithering path one, etc. and (3) +mana modifiers
- once you get this set up you can just iterate with additional damage+ modifiers as you go along, and can easily win the game with it, since it'll let you kill things through walls
- i also recently learned that Light is really good on this, since it'll let you see whatever you're hitting on the other side of the wall through the fog of war (light is actually way better than i thought on practically everything, and barely costs any mana)

while you have edit wands everywhere via a mod, you should be able to get one of these options pretty consistently, since it's easy to just grab a spell or a modifier here and there from the different wands you come across.

Thank you very much!!!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Kicked a broken wooden cart at a dynamitebro, and by coincidence simultaneously kicked his dynamite at just the right angle that made it glitch through the terrain?

Dynamite projectiles are fun in general, since they can be telekinesis'd/sparkbolted in flight, but behave strangely sometimes because they're bouncy colliding objects that start with enough velocity to break physics even without spell modifiers.

Also re:beta... is the burning oil from pyro's molotov flasks supposed to get hot enough to melt iron?

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Bouncing shots perk plus a couple luminous drills with casts and some mana/ decent mana regen is the most op combo I've found so far, especially for the easy build. It's essentially a green piss laser of death

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

when the game gives you luminous drills and add mana before level 3

https://i.imgur.com/ORFTreu.mp4

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So maybe one of you more advanced wand wizards can help me figure out what is going on here. This is my current wand, which has been working fairly decently for me. However, I picked up concentrated spells perk, and now I can't get the dang thing back to no delay. I've got 4 reduce recharges available and no matter how I plug them in it just refuses to work. The setup probably looks a bit weird because I also just got a recharge reduction recently, and the trailing chainsaw let it loop.

In a related question, whats a good alternative to look for for shield enemies? There are a couple that are basically just immune to my bullshit, but I've got some great digging wands so I can go looking for spells.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

good god... if I screw up this run I'm going to commit sudoku

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hrmm, I do have explosion/fire immunity, and I just found unlimited spells, so maybe I'll just fill out these extra slots with magic missiles or something.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ZypherIM posted:

Hrmm, I do have explosion/fire immunity, and I just found unlimited spells, so maybe I'll just fill out these extra slots with magic missiles or something.

if you find any freezing gazes, slap those into that bad boy

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ZypherIM posted:

So maybe one of you more advanced wand wizards can help me figure out what is going on here. This is my current wand, which has been working fairly decently for me. However, I picked up concentrated spells perk, and now I can't get the dang thing back to no delay. I've got 4 reduce recharges available and no matter how I plug them in it just refuses to work. The setup probably looks a bit weird because I also just got a recharge reduction recently, and the trailing chainsaw let it loop.

Concentrated spells adds a fixed minimum cast delay that can't be overridden. It sucks, I never take it outside of really short runs as it kills a lot of wand setups.
It does add a sizable amount of damage so if you know what it's doing you can take it on shorter runs.

For endgame/postgame stuff I don't tend to use super rapid fire wands for damage anymore since there are much more efficient ways to deal gigantic amounts of screen/zone clearing damage but it's indispensable for drilling and rapid teleportation wands and the conc spells perk basically kills those.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

animatorZed posted:

Concentrated spells adds a fixed minimum cast delay that can't be overridden. It sucks, I never take it outside of really short runs as it kills a lot of wand setups.
It does add a sizable amount of damage so if you know what it's doing you can take it on shorter runs.

For endgame/postgame stuff I don't tend to use super rapid fire wands for damage anymore since there are much more efficient ways to deal gigantic amounts of screen/zone clearing damage but it's indispensable for drilling and rapid teleportation wands and the conc spells perk basically kills those.
In the beta the tooltip mentions the cast delay, I don't think it's in the main branch yet. It's 0.12 or 0.2.

The damage it adds is good; that wand without concentrated spells is only better if you're at point blank and can hit with most of your projectiles with the 35degree spread on the wand. With concentrated spells it does around 11k DPS at any range, so I'd consider it a win... but a reduce spread would have been better ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I wish lightning spells in wands didn't cause them to emit ambient electricity and have a low chance of randomly stunning/killing you because you didn't unequip it fast enough when you fell in a puddle or some stupid goblins bled all over you :mad: