Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HolHorsejob posted:

Noita: I knew exactly what it would do, and I still did it

Oh god yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

:stare:

https://i.imgur.com/NbgKc7b.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so used to seeing these things backfire, watching you survive was a very pleasant surprise :unsmith:
Also the new thread title is :discourse:

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

That was weird. My computer hard locked while playing Noita, then when I loaded the autosave (had just entered snowy depths) I found it weird that there was a huge chunk of the map entirely empty, then another hard lock and reboot. Started a new game and problem hasn't surfaced since.

I'm guessing something happened while loading the entire map. Anyone had something like this happen?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Zedlic posted:

That was weird. My computer hard locked while playing Noita, then when I loaded the autosave (had just entered snowy depths) I found it weird that there was a huge chunk of the map entirely empty, then another hard lock and reboot. Started a new game and problem hasn't surfaced since.

I'm guessing something happened while loading the entire map. Anyone had something like this happen?

I have had a save hang every time it was loaded once before. I guess it crashed in such a way that it corrupted the save data.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

A hard lock of your entire computer is pretty dang rare these days. I'd suggest running a memory check and maybe a hard drive check as well. Better to catch these things early while your computer still boots.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Thatís why I donít even gently caress with electricity of any sort unless I have immunity to electricity AND explosions.

And I donít mess with explosives unless I also have fire immunity.

And if I manage to get immunity to all 3 I just poly myself as soon as possible to avoid the inevitable, which would be more frustrating hours later.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah normally i do, i was just being stupid

on my next run i died because i cast the wrong kind of black hole (giga instead of normal) and it sucked me up. shame because i was rocking an excellent killwand

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

it's a shame the first enemy in the progress list doesn't show the same number for its "killed" and "killed by" stats :v:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

First win, had a sweetheart seed where I found TP, chainsaw, add mana, and energy orb early plus the shield perk on the first level & good perks after. I managed to put together a baby firehose with spark trigger by the time I got to the Hiisi base & once I got to the jungle it was a fullblown luminous drill-spark-energy orb-triple shot firehose that obliterated anything on the screen, including most, if not all of the terrain. Dragon was a 2 second kill and the main difficulty of the end boss was accidentally getting thrown out of the lava arena by my wand knockback & having to wait for the lava to drain. feels good man

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/KSVJaT9.mp4

let's try out the random projectile spell on this new wand

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

you knew exactly what it would do, and you still did it

HolHorsejob
Mar 13, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Shibawanko posted:

Can we make the thread title a gif

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The fact that wands can be dynamically inherently cursed is really fantastic

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Random projectile :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/Za4xI0X.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well, you sure as gently caress gottem, at least

The Protagonist posted:

The fact that wands can be dynamically inherently cursed is really fantastic
agreed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

I saw you backing into that small confined space before firing and my head just started shaking, really slowly

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I saw you backing into that small confined space before firing and my head just started shaking, really slowly

that anxious little hop is me knowing im dead

here's a satisfying kill:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

I've beaten the game in the standard way a few times now; what's the next step? start collecting more orbs for higher orb runs?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do you want spoilers or do you want to discover stuff on your own? How much do you know?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

idiotsavant posted:

I've beaten the game in the standard way a few times now; what's the next step? start collecting more orbs for higher orb runs?

If you're a lunatic you can aim for a 34 orb win

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

KillHour posted:

Do you want spoilers or do you want to discover stuff on your own? How much do you know?

ive seen a bit; i don't know the details but i know there are the sun quests to do, there's the alchemist, there's the bridge boss & pyramid boss to try... just make some good wands and go dig all over the map?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

i'd start with the alchemist for the greek letters 'cos of the broken poo poo they can do, such as make black holes have "infinite" casts

can also look up the achievement pillars for long-term goals like the quests you mentioned, if you want inspiration

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 8, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

idiotsavant posted:

ive seen a bit; i don't know the details but i know there are the sun quests to do, there's the alchemist, there's the bridge boss & pyramid boss to try... just make some good wands and go dig all over the map?

pyramid boss is easy once you learn its routine, and the wand it drops is (often) the easiest way to get mana/speed for a murderbeam and/or digging wand.

also you don't need to make collecting Every Friggin Orb a goal for every run but most of them unlock a useful spell the first time you get each orb, which can then generate in future runs. because you know you want to bury the entire universe in concrete.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

If we're still brainstorming/daydreaming Noita 2 I can't believe no one mentioned 3D yet.

Imagine, realistic-looking sand physics. More elaborate looking spells (but in 3D).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

Seven Force posted:

If we're still brainstorming/daydreaming Noita 2 I can't believe no one mentioned 3D yet.

Imagine, realistic-looking sand physics. More elaborate looking spells (but in 3D).

Noita crossed with Deep Rock Galactic sure would be something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If I was going to add a new thing to Noita, it would be some kind of pressure simulation. Want to get disintegrated by a high-pressure jet of water after drilling into the bottom of an ocean, or turn an empty canister into a bomb by filling it with compressed poisonous gas 👹

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The game miraculously runs well, don't gently caress it up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

counterpoint: making the game run like poo poo is half the fun. if you aren't thrashing your CPU by turning the entire world into a smoking crater, what are you even doing

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I still haven't managed to make the Kali wand, which is when you merge the ultimate killing, traveling, tunneling & healing wand into a single package.

Poly gets me every time when I get close :negative:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/0B771bK.mp4

that was a bad place to get stuck in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what made that 2nd explosion that actually killed you after the fungus blew up, I can't see it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

what made that 2nd explosion that actually killed you after the fungus blew up, I can't see it

it's the die again, it went for a second roll

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh i see it now, rip

don't think i've ever actually seen a die in any of my games, but it's been a few months

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Seven Force posted:

it wouldn't be Noita if everything was not a defined material .

Turning all rock into.. I dunno, blood would absolutely devastate any machine if you try to render all that in 3d space.

Think of nocliping outside of a level and seeing the mirrors; the engine would not be able to figure out what you should or should not see if it hasn't even figured if you are dead or not.

edit: old engine poo poo talk. Unreal geometry was made like you were scooping out space out of an infinite space of clay. no leaks possible unlike Quake/Half Life.

Does unreal still do that or do they go with a normal BSP/RAD/VIS-like render?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 14, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

oh i see it now, rip

don't think i've ever actually seen a die in any of my games, but it's been a few months

really? i seem to come across it every other run

i suck at this game but it's probably my favorite of all time. i only got to the end a few times

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

EVIL Gibson posted:

Turning all rock into.. I dunno, blood would absolutely devastate any machine if you try to render all that in 3d space.

Think of nocliping outside of a level and seeing the mirrors; the engine would not be able to figure out what you should or should not see if it hasn't even figured if you are dead or not.

edit: old engine poo poo talk. Unreal geometry was made like you were scooping out space out of an infinite space of clay. no leaks possible unlike Quake/Half Life.

There was that one guy making "atomontage engine" but I don't think anything ever came of it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

John Lin's stuff is the closest I've seen but he hasn't updated in a year

https://youtube.com/channel/UCM2RhfMLoLqG24e_DYgTQeA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

EVIL Gibson posted:

In UE3 you had the option of doing additive or subtractive space but by 4 it was pure additive, essentially because that was when we had enough computing power to switch over to primarily using instanced static meshes instead of BSP.

Noita in 2d still brings many computers to their knees (e.g. lighting the jungle on fire) even though it has a limited simulation range and uses fairly modern threading models (from what I recall they do the entire sim on the CPU when they could be offloading some of that work onto the GPU, where more of the power gains over the past years have been focused)

Moving that to 3d would require a ton of power, greater limitations on the sim, or some kind of new algorithmic breakthrough. Maybe with a really fast internet connection you could farm all the computing off to a few AWS instances but that would get expensive fast.