Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Opening a portal to a "sinister dimension": good idea, or bad? Let's explore!

https://i.imgur.com/zcFDG0w.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

It's incredibly powerful...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Der Shovel posted:

I got my first win with it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I don't know if it's coded as a micro climate or if it's checking nearby materials, but any rock you solidify near the lava lake way more readily converts back into lava.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zesty posted:

I got my first win with it.

I got extremely dead with it a little later :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Getting blocked in by random jungle plants in the mines and having to clear them out pixel by pixel with a spark wand is criminally unfun.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
extreme congratulations to the devs at Nolla! you done it, and if it were a thing i could do i'd send you a cookie pie or something equally horrible for your diet

this game rules like, so hard
so hard

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
was puff of air interacting with fire in before 1.0?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

resistentialism posted:

I don't know if it's coded as a micro climate or if it's checking nearby materials, but any rock you solidify near the lava lake way more readily converts back into lava.

The idea being you can't just use a flask of water to cross it anymore?

edit: Tested it out. You can use a flask of water, but the effect is temporary.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 15, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New Progress screen is cool.

Again, wish better achievements were in the game as a pseudo progress tracker.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zesty posted:

New Progress screen is cool.

Again, wish better achievements were in the game as a pseudo progress tracker.

Especially given there's so much interesting stuff in the game besides the main path from the cave entrance down to the boss. You could have achievements for all sorts of obscure things like getting to NG+, visiting the parallel worlds, finding the giant gold vault, beating the dragon or pyramid bosses, going to hell/heaven, opening the skull or wicker man portals, etc. Having nothing but generic achievements for reaching each of the main biomes is a bit dull considering all that.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Eh, don't know why that isn't embedding properly

https://imgur.com/a/VOpPJIU

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 16, 2020

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The new damage numbers don't feel as easy to read for me as they did before, probably the only change I don't like so far.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

worm juice farmer

https://imgur.com/lQC5Bd5

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
My first 1.0 game ended in the holy mountain post ice-caves when one of the wizard dudes managed to work his way inside and smack me in the face while I was deconstructing my loot and creating a murder trigger wand.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
noita 1.0, nice! haven't played in like a year, looking forward to all the new ways to get owned.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It would be about 2035 before computers and networks are developed capable of multiplayer Noita, and the world won't last that long

you could might be able to do it if you did it on a server if the google stadia backend tech wasn't a lie and then your client was basically just a video feed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They managed to mod a working multiplayer into Cortex Command so who knows.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You could always rig up some kind of local multiplayer thing and then just do screen-sharing through parsec or steam remote play together or whatever.
Still probably quite a bit of work but much easier than "true" multiplayer in a game like this. It would be hell to sync all the particles and physics stuff between two computers over the internet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Life comes at you fast in Noita. From a very smooth run to 1 HP in two seconds flat.

https://i.imgur.com/eVRsyLR.mp4

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If I could make a suggestion, as a completely new player, the "quit" button on the end game screen should really have some sort of confirmation message before dumping you straight to the desktop. Ideally you'd have a "main menu/desktop" option pop up, it was pretty jarring to go into what appeared to be post-run sub menus (click to expand) and have one of the options full exit the game.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/h6kpEpv.mp4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ZypherIM posted:

If I could make a suggestion, as a completely new player, the "quit" button on the end game screen should really have some sort of confirmation message before dumping you straight to the desktop. Ideally you'd have a "main menu/desktop" option pop up, it was pretty jarring to go into what appeared to be post-run sub menus (click to expand) and have one of the options full exit the game.

In addition I think the progress screen should be accessible from the main menu as well

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It feels to me like 1.0 has way more wands than in previous versions. Am I just getting lucky?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So much mana regen but it can't hope to keep up with the drills.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's strange how removing the water flask makes the first level that much more dangerous. I miss that little flask.

Also I'm probably the worst player at this game.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

yeah I think random starts either need to go or make it so you always start with a water flask and keep the random wands. So many times now I've accidentally stood in some sludge and it's like welp, guess I'm taking 20 damage because I can't douse myself and the RNG didn't spawn much water in this level.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's stopping you from emptying the starting flask and filling it up with water from the guaranteed water pool like 10 meters to the left from the spawn location?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
at that point why not just have a guaranteed water flask to start with on top of the random one

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

What's stopping you from emptying the starting flask and filling it up with water from the guaranteed water pool like 10 meters to the left from the spawn location?

Yes the game should have arbitrary busywork at the start based on luck.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It wouldn't really be arbitrary since giving up a potentially good flask for some water is a meaningful decision

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Sometimes it's sealed off, and that's a tedious way to start off almost every run. It's kind of tedious even if you wait for a pool of water in the mines since emptying a full flask takes a while. A good compromise might be to start with an empty flask, so you still have to worry about fire and toxic sludge until you find a pool of water, but you can fill it up right away once you find one. It's probably best to just go back to starting with a water flask though.

I really like the randomized starter wands though, it's nice to have a little more variety in your attacks from the start.

Has anyone gotten the angry ghost perk? I had it for a few levels before I died, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Haven't seen too many other new spells or perks yet, but I'm loving all the polish in the update. Holy mountain looks awesome, and the updates to the HUD, main menu and settings screen are great. Love the updated sounds too, I wasn't expecting them to change because the old sounds were also good, but the game sounds especially fantastic now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MMF Freeway posted:

It wouldn't really be arbitrary since giving up a potentially good flask for some water is a meaningful decision

Can it be any potion or is it drawing from a limited pool of possibilities? You catch on fire all the time in this game so the only flask I would ever prioritize over water at the start would be ambrosia, most of my runs have started me off with slime. I can't think of any scenarios where slime is actually useful, so having to dump it out at the start of every run to grab some water seems like a completely unnecessary change. It's not like having water at the start was overpowered or anything.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can it be any potion or is it drawing from a limited pool of possibilities? You catch on fire all the time in this game so the only flask I would ever prioritize over water at the start would be ambrosia, most of my runs have started me off with slime. I can't think of any scenarios where slime is actually useful, so having to dump it out at the start of every run to grab some water seems like a completely unnecessary change. It's not like having water at the start was overpowered or anything.

I've gotten blood flasks a few times, which are probably the only flasks that are arguably better than water. You can't neutralize toxic sludge, but near-unlimited crit bonus is great. It feels like an actual interesting decision when I come across enough water to fill the flask if I want to swap it out. Fire flasks are okay as an extra digging tool early on too, but are much more niche.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm not sure if its pulling from the full pool but any non-harmful liquid can extinguish fire so dumping out invisibility or berserk or whatever would be a waste. Granted you don't get the fire resist from being wet but that's a fair tradeoff I think

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I started with a polymorph flask and it was terrifying lmao

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I've had a chaotic polymorph start, I think you can just start with any potion really.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm not sure if its pulling from the full pool but any non-harmful liquid can extinguish fire so dumping out invisibility or berserk or whatever would be a waste. Granted you don't get the fire resist from being wet but that's a fair tradeoff I think

Berserkium is actually super flammable unless that's changed since I last played.
Liquid Mana doesn't seem to put out fire either, nor does Acceleratium.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/td7Z2Rv.mp4

expert puzzle solving skills

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I feel like the game should keep track of the greatest top speed / acceleration achieved