Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

God drat this game is a blast! What are some of people's favorite spell combos?

Simple, yet elegant: (obviously get a better wand)

Getting the rain spell and owning the fire imps is incredibly satisfying too.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i found a spell that creates a single pixel of water per cast. great

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Can't go wrong with a high fire rate wand loaded with bouncing shot. Hold lmb to murder everything around you, including your CPU. Add fire trail if you also want to murder yourself.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Lol yeah I'm sure there's some combos that make it work but I couldn't even put out the fire on my own robes at a reasonable rate by firing it into myself

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010
Some of these wands are pretty powerful.

Too bad the other guy found it first!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Laser+Ice Field+Shock is really good in long range, anything it doesn't 1-shot will be stunned.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Alchemist tablets:You can drop the tablets on the glowing pedestal on the sky platform to turn them into some gold. This is new, I think.

Far right of the overworld:The floating diamond has an item that will probably slowly kill you. Haven't figured out if there's a special use for it, yet.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

AppleDan posted:

I know this is Very Stupid given that the game already gives you wands that can do anything but I want that swank rear end shotgun that the enemies have, maybe make em like wands so you can add a buff to them too. Let me be a shotgun wizard.

Gimme that dynamite too.

You can get wands that launch dynamite.

Vonnie posted:

Okay so I got extremely high (I entered "The Work") then a regular enemy showed up, shot me, and now I am falling down to earth like a meteorite.

Argghhhh. All my seeds are really bad. I barely ever get drills or drill type spells. I've never gotten the teleport one.

FAR EAST/RIGHT ITEM: A constant spam bolt hexagon. You can not turn it off. It will kill you. Can be used to dig through pyramid. This will slowly kill you as the bolts explode.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Drill spells are so good in general, but especially in the mine where you can just mine for the gold veins that are all over

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Just found this utter insanity (added the shield):

Besides being totally ridiculous, it also digs pretty nicely.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TNT is a money maker. 16 shots and explosions count as accidents = double money, quadruple with a perk.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ohhh do enemies drop double money if they die from something other than direct wand damage? good to know

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well hey, looks like I've found

an exit :gonk:

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007
Nuke is insanely good once you're careful enough to use it right. With 3 nukes you can dig straight to bottom portals and kill most of the enemies

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I came across a bunch of corpses and gold in the ice zone earlier and heard something in the distance, one of the jetpack dudes had picked up a powerful wand and for some reason went apeshit, killing everything that moved including his fellow jetpack dudes and shooting lasers all over the drat place.

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite games. Its rough around the edges but it seems like every new game i start something really cool happens

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The patch made it so that any time I enter a portal it crashes. I guess I'm taking a break for the night. Hopefully it's patched tomorrow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goferchan posted:

ohhh do enemies drop double money if they die from something other than direct wand damage? good to know

Yeah, and quadruple with the trick greed perk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
gold despawns way to fast

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

This is actually pretty good if you put on a triple-fire spell just before it. You can pretty reliably extinguish or wash yourself off.

I just bought a spell called Circle of Oil which makes, well, a circle of oil where you’re standing. Naturally I put the triple fire spell on before it and tested it out in the safe room, which promptly filled entirely with oil until it touched a lantern. Fire immunity would have been good there

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

gold despawns way to fast
Could probably just not despawn giving how dangerous enemies are at the moment, even just one dying by fire is a little too dangerous to try and collect gold from.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of really weird poo poo to find if you push the borders

got to the lake way out to the left and pulled off my own personal burning man on the island. also grabbed the constant explosion thing under it, which seems uhhhhhhhhh really questionable when it comes to even remotely being useful. not sure if anything is to be found in the lake because i started sinking down with breathless but i started getting bored and also big open things of water really make me anxious so i eventually killed myself with my own sawblade so i could just end it after getting like 3 orbs that run fir the first time since stats starting saving the way they should.

does anyone know what orbs are even for yet?

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Man, the acid trail modifier is POTENT

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Man, the acid trail modifier is POTENT

Acid in general does not gently caress around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The patch made it so that any time I enter a portal it crashes. I guess I'm taking a break for the night. Hopefully it's patched tomorrow.

I get a weird stutter sometimes since the patch and if I click during it I'll get a "not responding" error but if I don't click and just wait a few seconds the next level will load fine

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Freezing all liquids does not prevent contact damage, but at least the toxic sludge doesn’t stick to you.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Is there a floor timer like the ghost in Spelunky? I generally feel pushed to descend by my steadily decreasing health, but it would be nice to know.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no timer whatsoever from what i can tell. your main limitation is your health.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
one of the perks is a shield

just straight up a shield. it's real good. doesn't last to long in the ice region but nothing does, gently caress the ice region

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can get a shield as a spell, too. I put one in with some bouncy balls on a wand with machine gun stats and it would replace itself extremely quickly.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I made the mistake of buying the earthquake spell and testing it in the item area.. the entire place crumbled and I died so be careful with that one hah

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Bang3r posted:

I made the mistake of buying the earthquake spell and testing it in the item area.. the entire place crumbled and I died so be careful with that one hah

I just died on layer 5 with that thing. Turns out starting an earthquake whilst inside a cave often leads to poor outcomes. :eng99:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Megafunk posted:

I just died on layer 5 with that thing. Turns out starting an earthquake whilst inside a cave often leads to poor outcomes. :eng99:

Best not to anger the gods haha

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like to think the earthquake spell is prohibitively expensive to cast for a reason

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh drat just realized the trip-out effect from drinking worm blood isn't just cosmetic it gives you that "all seeing eye" spell effect where you can see through walls and parts of the screen you haven't explored, at the cost of everything being all warped and hosed up

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i made it to the sixth area by burrowing straight down with the sea of acid spell. there's way more game here than i expected

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So does shuffle mean it rando's the shots and otherwise it fires in exact sequences? Is there a version that chucks everything at once?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mindblast posted:

So does shuffle mean it rando's the shots and otherwise it fires in exact sequences? Is there a version that chucks everything at once?

depends on your mods and ordering. for example if you have a Pentagram mod and then five spells listed after it, it will cast all five at once in each corner of a pentagram. I think they could definitely improve the UI with some hints (like spells being visibly "linked" together in the wand screen when you have mods like that) but once you gently caress around with it enough it's mostly intuitive.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

i made it to the sixth area by burrowing straight down with the sea of acid spell. there's way more game here than i expected
yeah I just did something similar. I got a wand that let me dig as much as I wanted, and used acid for walls I couldn't get through. That plus a bit of luck with health upgrades allowed me to just dig my way to the final area and ignore everything along the way. I had about 300 health at the end but could've done it with 150. Being able to avoid everything is pretty nice.

I also cheesed the final boss so I have no idea how to fight it properly either. But it seems doable with earlygame wands.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Congratulations for your (cheesy) victory EvilMike! How many levels down were you? Some areas might be missed if you race down, but I don't know the total number of biomes in the early access build. All I have is rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
There is an island floating just about the mountain, on top of it is an altar you can place the emerald tablet for a reward of gold. Of course, if you just hold the tablet in the center of the altar you can get infinite gold.