Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me, I found a bar in the Hiisi base. At least, that's what I assume it was.

All of those bottles were breakable, but didn't have anything in them. I was hoping for a flood of whiskey. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There is a way to mod in bigger spell inventories, if nothing else. There's even a mod that does so, tied to a perk. Miscellaneous Perks, I think is what it was called?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, this is a weird one. Fire witch starts with two fire flasks which can be used for removing stains (pour out fire, stand in fire, stains gradually dry up). I still often end up emptying one out to fill with water so I can clear toxic waste pools, but the flasks are at least useful. Lightning witch starts with a thunderstone that is basically useless. You can throw it at enemies to kill them, but its electrocution properties are of debatable value; it's pretty rare that I want to be able to electrify a pool from a distance and can't just, like, shoot it with a lightning bolt. And meanwhile you have zero ability to clear stains beyond getting lucky with convenient pools / finding an early flask.

come to think of it, an alternative would be to just give Lightning Witch explosion immunity.

you'd still have to be careful, but wouldn't accidentally instagib yourself - and this would be an analogous advantage to what Fire Witch has, where fire immunity means they can't kill themselves out of sheer stupidity, but they still have to be careful about explosions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Explosion immunity is a far more valuable and useful perk than fire immunity at basically every stage of the game, so I'm not sure you can really call that analogous. If you gave her Electricity Immune, then sure, but Explosion Immune is a huge advantage to basically anyone, no matter what kind of spells you're actually using.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Explosion Immunity is very useful to lightning witch, no question. You can use the static lightning explosion spell directly on a wand (with no triggers) and it really has a shockingly huge range, so you can just wander around blowing yourself and your enemies up repeatedly. But I think that's solving the wrong problem. Lightning Witch is a high risk / high reward class, with lots of power but high chance of killing yourself, and that's fine. What's not great is that the class has no way to deal with stains until you find a flask and replace its contents with water. The class should get a flask of water for the same reason the unmodded base class starts with one: it's basic equipment that makes the stain system not completely maddening to interact with.

(Lightning Witch has the Electricity perk, which provides Electrical Immunity automatically)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah y'all are right. tbh just switching Electricity for Electricity Immunity would be enough to fix the balance problems. or toning down the radius on electricity's damage. it's just a bad perk right now

i suppose the tradeoff is that starting with Lightning is huge, and that spell can carry you to the endgame, it's just not worth the annoyance as it stands.

Explosion Immunity is very useful to lightning witch, no question. You can use the static lightning explosion spell directly on a wand (with no triggers) and it really has a shockingly huge range, so you can just wander around blowing yourself and your enemies up repeatedly. But I think that's solving the wrong problem. Lightning Witch is a high risk / high reward class, with lots of power but high chance of killing yourself, and that's fine. What's not great is that the class has no way to deal with stains until you find a flask and replace its contents with water. The class should get a flask of water for the same reason the unmodded base class starts with one: it's basic equipment that makes the stain system not completely maddening to interact with.

(Lightning Witch has the Electricity perk, which provides Electrical Immunity automatically)

simple solution: lightning flasks that i can use to remove stains from myself

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Lightning (bolt) is the only spell I know of that can by itself as the only spell cast by a wand solo the shielded skeleton with no problems, assuming you can keep firing it before the previous shock stun wears off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you have a fast enough wand (that yellow one with .07 recharge time you sometimes find early will work) you can kill the skeleton with the green bouncing orb spell by shooting him so many times he drowns in his own bone dust.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

eke out posted:

yeah y'all are right. tbh just switching Electricity for Electricity Immunity would be enough to fix the balance problems. or toning down the radius on electricity's damage. it's just a bad perk right now

Electricity is better than Electricity immunity, imo. The downside is you need to set off explosives from afar (which is the safer option anyway), and the upside is that liquids and metal plates become lethal for enemies. It's amazing in the Hisii base and vault especially, with all their steel floors and walls.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It is difficult to overstate how utterly maddening it is to play as a class that starts with no ability to interact with their environment beyond physics objects, which cannot explode crates/barrels or set fires.

That is the only loving wand I can reach on the level, and I can't pick it up.

Edit: later died when I got turned into a sheepbat after summoning some rock spirits and they flew suspiciously closely to me and blew me up for 125 damage apiece.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 14, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

It is difficult to overstate how utterly maddening it is to play as a class that starts with no ability to interact with their environment beyond physics objects, which cannot explode crates/barrels or set fires.

That is the only loving wand I can reach on the level, and I can't pick it up.

you can pick it up in the frame or two between when you turn back into yourself and when you get polymorphed again, just mash quickly. not exactly optimal but i've done it before

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

you can get a little closer to it by s-key drink skimming the top, too, maybe

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's still loving aggravating to be unable to do anything about the pervasive wooden walls in the mines, let alone the numerous caches that require some form of digging to access. You can't even reliably knock lanterns into things to set them on fire. The amount of useful stuff that is effectively locked off to the summoner and eldritch classes is enormous...unless they get lucky enough to find a projectile wand. I've used a single lovely bouncing orb wand with a fire rate of ~2/sec and it's still miles better than rocks/tentacles.

Wouldn't drinking polymorphine polymorph you? I admit it didn't occur to me to try.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

You can't even reliably knock lanterns into things to set them on fire.

I've always thought that the game should let you pick up a lantern and keep it in an equipment slot for later light/smashing and stuff. Like a torch spell / fire flask, but with oil ammo and throwing.

While the dev is at it, let us also pick up toxic barrels and explosive crates.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2019

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

only worm blood and vampiric blood drinking have any effect if you're witch-vacuuming, I think

And ya, anything with homing or loyalty will turn on you if you get polymorphed.

but get a 1% contaminate of oil in your water flask while you're inventory drinking and it will do like 20 damage to you...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not positive that I'm not just misremembering how fire works, but I think you can always just douse yourself in burning oil and quickly running back to wherever the obstruction is.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Tossing an empty flask in the lake probably would have been enough, too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ambaire posted:

While the dev is at it, let us also pick up toxic barrels and explosive crates.

This is a really good idea. You'd be able to use explosives to get to most places in the mines, but enemy HP scaling and limited inventory slots would keep it from getting overpowered later on

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Clark Nova posted:

You'd be able to use explosives to get to most places in the mines,

Especially as this is already possible with godly kick-fu skills. I've managed a few midair kicks but nothing crazy like the crate on fire gif earlier in the thread.

And while they're at it, maybe a way to combine explosive crates or even the bomb spell with slime so you get sticky bombs. I want sticky bombs and sticky dynamite so much...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not positive that I'm not just misremembering how fire works, but I think you can always just douse yourself in burning oil and quickly running back to wherever the obstruction is.

I've tried this in the past and was never able to get anything to catch on fire. Being able to pick up and throw lanterns would be nice, though. You can sometimes do the same think by kicking them, but that doesn't work well if the target is farther away.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Plague rats and a pool of chaotic polymorphine sure is something

https://i.imgur.com/7EoaDrY.mp4

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I see a lot of chat about this game melting CPUs. Is it worth trying to run on a 1050Ti and i5-7300hq?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Completely. I run it on an i5-2500k and I only get slowdowns when the screen is literally so full of particles that I can barely even see what's going on anymore.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Finally, after 230 losses, I had a win. It was my second time that I made it past the jungle. Honestly, my perks were a bit broken. Due to an early perk lottery and some luck, I had breathless, fire immunity, edit wands everywhere, electric immunity, extra health, some weird shield which directs projectiles away from you.

bloom posted:

I love how that worm pops out there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bloom posted:

oh my god i didn't even think about this, i want to do it on purpose

plague rats is so great

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Not looking for advice, but... I'm starting to think "tunnel in to it from below to drain it" is not the right approach to getting to the bottom of the lava lake :(

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Count Uvula posted:

Not looking for advice, but... I'm starting to think "tunnel in to it from below to drain it" is not the right approach to getting to the bottom of the lava lake :(

I want to do this someday just to see how badly it messes up the ice caverns.

(Although sadly I suspect the offscreen physics limits would start hindering you there)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Even if you're not looking for advice, allow me to at least give you a hint: there are certain spells that specifically turn one thing into another.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

Even if you're not looking for advice, allow me to at least give you a hint: there are certain spells that specifically turn one thing into another.

Also coming in from the side. If you go down the giant chasm you can hear the ORB orbing in the room beneath the lava.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finally managed to get past Hiisi base by making heavy use of Sea of Acid. :v:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cardiovorax posted:

There is a way to mod in bigger spell inventories, if nothing else. There's even a mod that does so, tied to a perk. Miscellaneous Perks, I think is what it was called?

Finding different clothing with perks on them, like larger inventory would be cool as well.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Snake Maze posted:

(Although sadly I suspect the offscreen physics limits would start hindering you there)

I did this, at least the top part of it using the orb that eats through everything.

Since the world generation only runs simulation on a certain number of squares around you I think it does odd things.

I went back down and couldn't find lava until I hit the warp points, the first couple were filled with lava.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Edit: Wrong thread

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Snake Maze posted:

Having done exactly that, yeah, it's a problem, you have to keep going back and forth a lot to make it flow down to the base. :/

Bad Munki posted:

Hey Hiisi base, I got somethin' for ya

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bad Munki posted:

Hey Hiisi base, I got somethin' for ya

Most efficient way to do something like this, albeit boring, is to make somewhere to stand next to the lava flow from the reservoir, wait for it to stop flowing (while still leaving room to move over), then move so the leftmost edge of the physics area is mid right and wait again. Could try that mod trick to make the screensize bigger, but it might also make your pc crawl.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
Got my best run so far a combo of shields - projectile repelling aura (a new perk, I think?) and the standard permanent shield. If I'd had melee immunity as well I'd have been unstoppable, but the amped-up spiders of the Vault swarmed me and the shotgun-wand I'd built was too slow/weak to destroy them.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you scum chaotic polymorphene for long enough, eventually the gods will lock you into a form.

But they forget to tell the skeleton about it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Once you've angered the gods (let a worm out of a cocoon and/or spilled a little acid), is there anything you can / might as well do to take advantage of it?

I've been getting a lot of mileage from an earlyish shuffle wand with cast:2 and always cast projectile attractor. It's only using the weak triple-shot (for mana conservation), so it takes a while to kill things, but they usually can't do anything and help kill themselves and/or their friends do.

Just cleared Jungle/Fungal Caverns and have made a new heavier-hitter - magic bolt trigger into 2x Giga Death Cross, I assume that will just kill me the first time I use it. Bedtime now though, so I also get to test the save/quit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you have access to any black hole wands or something like that, you may as well use them to punch holes into the Holy Mountains you've already been through in order to revisit previous layers at will. It's not like you can make them more angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have access to any black hole wands or something like that, you may as well use them to punch holes into the Holy Mountains you've already been through in order to revisit previous layers at will. It's not like you can make them more angry.

If you avoid leaving "properly" and causing the cave-in, this also means the wand editing effect stays active in the room, so you can backtrack if you need to change something.