Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Xaris posted:

So what does Berserk, Hydrated, and Blood status effects actually do?

Berserk makes wizardperson swear a lot and gives them a significant damage boost, the starter spark goes from 3 on the initial enemies to around 15. Hydrated is just being covered in water and makes it harder to set your wizardperson on fire. Blood is similar to water, but it also gives you a better chance to crit, in short, Bathe in The Blood of Your Enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Zoig posted:

Edit wands everywhere should be a alternate mode you pick to start with, or better, have it being not on listed as a hardcore option.

This, just make a couple options when starting a run/in the options menu listed as softcore toggles, like have edit wands anywhere default on. Hell, throw in some other things for people who aren't totally into roguelikes and just want to see Stupid Wand Tricks, such as quicksaving.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, gently caress me, I've never thought about it as a defensive weapon.

By the way, are there online mod databases for Noita by now?

https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=browse_cat&cid=752 Seems to be where most/all of the mods posted on the discord are showing up now.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Either I installed it wrong, or it doesn't work. :( I'm on the beta branch, and put the angry_god_begone folder into the "mods" folder. I noticed that the example mod has an init.lua that your mod doesn't; is that essential?

On the plus side, I managed to kill the guardian in a stand-up fight, through copious use of a Summon Rock Spirit wand and a triplecast flaming whatever-miscellaneous-projectiles-I-had-on-hand wand. But goddamn am I sick of not being allowed to play with optimized wand loadouts because I keep getting interrupted in the one place I'm allowed to edit wands!

Did you actually enable it ingame and start a new game?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Is there a mod that makes limited-charge spells infinite? I want to wreck some poo poo. :unsmigghh:

https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=25796

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

They could also have deleted the world save file and moved the player save out, so you can replace a new game's player save, which maintains all your perks and health.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Time to climb the Tower and start exploring the world. I just wish I'd managed to preserve tinkering rooms anywhere besides just before Hiisi Base; it's a long walk if I want to change anything.

That's pretty much why I turned on start with edit wands in Goki and never looked back.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

... the game's happy to let you pick up spells anywhere, so why can't you drop them?

Because it's easier to take great mystical power into your nebulous being than it is to remove it? I dunno :v:. I do like the idea of the Sampo giving you something for picking it up, maybe the edit would only kick in if you put it in a specific liquid.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

I mostly agree with Abstraction's post of perks, the Worm perks feel like filler to the point of just being there for flavor and screwing around. Fast swimming is nice, if you plan to explore the lake or use wands that focus on flooding a level, which quickly tapers off into uselessness if you don't follow it with something like electricity or something to handle enemies that don't breathe, i.e. robots. Breathless is a bit more useful as it means you can't suffocate if something weird happens that encases you, but that can be an edge case depending on circumstances. Bombs materialized isn't something I'd take over another potion flask. I avoid Lukki mutation because I'd rather have the utility of normal levitation instead of a restrictive infinite levitation, it also renders wands that are very destructive and destroy the level into something that can become very dangerous if it limits your ability to dodge. I haven't gotten the minion perks since the berserkium rework, but before it I avoided them on the off-chance I wanted to use some or got some on me. But I would still avoid angry ghost due to what Hempuli mentioned, I just don't want to take the risk that it copies something very dangerous to myself. I never take Bouncing Spells, again because it looks like a niche gimmick where your wands are better if you can fill the screen with projectiles, which some enemies are specifically designed to negate making the perk worthless as far I as I see. Revenge explosion is like the electricity perk in my eyes, useful if you're careful, but can easily catch you out and cause something that ends the run. I don't take Always Cast either, for the same reasons as Abstraction.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned more/less hatred, which I get should probably be a biome modifier because I'm not sure why else you would want it.

Freeze field is very good, but better on a wand than as a perk just because you can remove it. The single pixel issue seems like more of a general issue with the collision detection than it does with that particular perk, just that it's more evident with the perk active. No idea how your collision detection works but how much would it murder performance to check if a colliding pixel has any immediate orthogonal neighbors and remove it if it doesn't?

Edit: the wand modifier perk that gives you less slots in exchange for more mana is pretty lame. I would either make the downside less bad or replace it with the "improve wands" event from twitch integration. Maybe do both because that would be a solid perk.

Oh yeah more/less hatred is another fringe one that only really shines when you stack them, 4 loves will make everything neutral to you and make the Hiisi healers heal you automatically. I feel like I need to say I feel like I understand part of the intent underlying the "bad" perks, you don't want every run to be Explosion Immunity, Melee Immunity, Trick Blood Money, etc. But it definitely makes the learning curve harsher for new players, especially considering some perks don't tell you everything they do and either imply to just omit it outright, looking at you Lukki. Considering the game gives a set loadout for the first run, spark bolt, bomb wand, water flask. Maybe the same could be done for perks? Say the first 5 runs that make it inside a mountain have a higher chance of empirically "good" perks in the first mountain or two?
I also just remembered that I have taken lowered gravity in a run I wanted to extend but didn't find stronger levitation, but I really struggle to see any reason for higher gravity. Possibly, after having stacked stronger levitation, but that would still seriously change most wand behavior.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 25, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Congratulations! You and your team have made a hell of a game here.

!!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

eke out posted:

if by super steve you mean the form when the gods are enraged that they implemented in beta a couple months ago (haven't played in a couple weeks but i don't think there's a new one), he's not so bad

or, at least, the only times I've ever made the gods that mad at me are also times where my wands have scaled to the point that he's not such a problem, especially compared to the alchemist or the parallel world minibosses

Part of me hopes Nolla just keeps adding new levels of Steve and years from now we'll be on Level 12 Omega Steve.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Note that in that video, he has infinite health. I'm pretty sure that's some kind of sandbox mode, possibly via mods.

No, it's a run that he did over the course of several days if not weeks where he did literally everything you could do in the game in one run. Hence the video title.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Spades posted:

Seems like porting the character file over isn't working so I'll have to see about reinstalling the game as it may be some other file issue.

I think I will put it down for a while now anyway as I've gotten to the same point as my previous playthroughs where power creep removes most of the challenge from the game.

I think the best part of the game seems to be around the point just after finishing the vaults/the art where you're scrambling to sort out a source of lategame healing and a 'final' wand configuration - but as soon as you're able to get through the alchemist and get into the parallel worlds the challenge falls off a cliff and the insistence on polymorph being the only thing that can mess with you at that point feels like bad game design itself.

Are there any recommended mods for the game? Might be more interesting to try something different than the core gameplay loop.

If you want a lot more things and areas to explore then Notiavania is one I enjoyed.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Grim posted:

I’ve been powering up in a run to the point that I can easily travel between parallel worlds / kill mini bosses / etc, I was going to start doing the Sunseed stuff but I’ve never done any of the Moon stuff before so just wanted to check - if I unlock the Void Moon and then go into NG+ can I still do the Sunseed quest? From what I’ve read I can’t do it in the same game, but NG+ should be fine surely?

If you go to a parallel world you can get another sunseed and there are two essence eater stones. The lake island doesn't spawn in parallel worlds so you do need to find a fire stone.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Fuuuuuck. I got stuck in hell, under the lava lake, on a really long run. I had infinite Black Holes, which was how I got there, so I could always just drain the lava into hell, right?

Seemed to be working well, no more lava raining down as I hunkered down under a piece of rock. Teleport up carefully a few times, still no lava, so looked like I had made it!

Well a few repeated blinks up, I bump into a sea of lava hanging in mid-air. The chunk had been unloaded so the lava was not being simulated, and could not fall down until I came near. I die instantly. God loving damnit.

Yeah that's how the game handles everything that is physic particles and falls, you can actually see the smaller cells within the playable area if you look closely enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I picked this up after really wanting it for a long time. Have died to explosions for the first 5 runs.

10/10 would explode again.

Any tips for a new noita?

If you make it to the first rest area and you haven't found any good wands you can put your bolt on your bomb wand, it'll fire fast but also run out of mana fast and recharges somewhat slow so it's just a stop-gap rather than a reliable damage dealer.

Also things drop 2x gold for physics kills via things like kicking rocks and crates, this includes things you throw.

Chainsaws are amazing.