Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just had my most painful death yet. I've got like 73 deaths and only 1 win so far and this time I got a good digging wand early and set my mind to playing smarter. Since vaults and temple of the art are hard, I just dug around them. I dug out the bottom of every holy mountain from hiisi base on to allow for more editing. I dug back to the surface, unlocked nuke, and unlocked the greek letter spells. I plundered the huge heap of gold to the east. I thought I'd go to the east since I had the stuff to do it but figured I'd go kill the boss - how hard could it be? It was a pushover last time. Did they beef up the boss in 1.0 or something? I don't remember it having an impenetrable shield or doing hundreds of damage per hit. I also apparently picked up an orb at the beginning of the game because it had 10x the hitpoints I expected. My wand should have killed it pretty quickly (spark bolt trigger -> something like 6 chainsaws and a lumi drill, firing as fast as the game will let it, infinitely) but I panicked and got murdered before the shield went down.

Anyway, after 4.5 loving hours I died an abrupt and ignominious death to the boss :negative:

At least I unlocked some stuff. And now I feel like my knowledge of how to beat the game has increased a lot. I think I enjoy the game even more now - the fact that you can build broken-seeming stuff and use it to go off the beaten path and there's an absurd amount of stuff out there is cool.

EDIT: Also, the game kept crashing once I started digging a lot. It probably crashed 5 times. A couple times it recovered me inside of extremely dense rock, fortunately I had fast digging so I could get an air hole before I suffocated. After it crashed some areas, like the surface above the mines, lost their background images. It was really weird.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Hempuli posted:

That's odd; the game currently has started to get crashy after exploring *really huge* areas but what you're describing doesn't sound like it should count. Is your disk space almost full? It could technically be that the save file was slowly increasing close to the allowed limit.

Nope I've got a couple hundred GBs free. Does the game save a crashlog or something somewhere? I looked in the save folder but didn't see one. It was only crashing while I was in the act of digging around the edges of the main biomes - it never crashed when I was doing anything else, even after digging. I can't remember if it was crashing when I was using a simple lumi drill lightsaber or if it only started when I started using a goofier wand later.

I have some audio glitching sometimes too, very rapid fire wands will intermittently stop making sound entirely. Maybe that's normal though?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Hempuli posted:

The audio glitch is a known one and (afaik) unrelated. Backgrounds disappearing has so far seemingly only happened when the save file has otherwise gotten really large (and basically only when exploring parallel worlds), which is why I asked. Next time this happens, backup your savefile; we might be able to track down the cause from that.

You're in luck, I backed up my save after two of the crashes as I wasn't sure what would happen when I recovered. Here they are: http://imayeti.com/files/save00.zip http://imayeti.com/files/save00_1.zip

EDIT:

FFS it crashed again and I wasn't even digging this time, just firing my wand offscreen. The recovery completely hosed me though, it loaded with my wands in a half-finished state from before I'd finished editing and it loaded me in a place I'd never even been in vaults, surrounded by enemies. :negative: It was my most promising run in a while, too. Is there any way to fix the save?

EDIT 2: Oh ho ho, I found some useful information. The audio glitching may be more related than expected - all the crashes were from the same offset in fmod.dll. Here's one of the crash reports http://imayeti.com/files/noita_crash.txt. And here's a zip of all the crashdumps http://imayeti.com/files/noita_crashdumps.zip

EDIT 3: Final bit of info I dug up - the contents of logger.txt, which seems relevant:

code:
Noita (Dec  1 2020) - 20210120-210211
-------------------------------------------
FMOD error - d:\projects\nollagames\fallingeverything\build\vc12\..\..\source\audio\audio.cpp(589) - Code: 30 - An invalid object handle was used.
FMOD error - d:\projects\nollagames\fallingeverything\build\vc12\..\..\source\audio\audio.cpp(591) - Code: 30 - An invalid object handle was used.
data->grid_world->mThreadImpl->Allocate64x64(0, 6656, 512, 512 ) failed
DeleteFileImp(C:\Users\Ken\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00\stats\_stats.xml) file failed - error code: 2
If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to help.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 21, 2021

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Haha the canisters are learning! :tinfoil:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Just got my 3rd win, NG+ this time. This is the first time I've really been able to explore really crazy stuff - infinite black holes, infinite healing wands, rapid fire wands that deploy homing drilling shot mists with 2 copies of heavy shot and 4 damage ups, etc. First time I went to parallel worlds too. So far I have 90 deaths and 3 wins in 50 hours.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Ceyton posted:

OMG WALLHACK

Finally got my first win thanks to this baby.

Woah, bouncing extends lumi drills? I didn't know that, added to the bag of tricks. My recent NG+ win had something almost identical: increase mana, ping pong path, damage plus, lumi drill. I guess damage plus adds a bit of recoil so I had to hold the direction I was firing in order to stand still.

Also, congrats on the win, here's to many more.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

nimby posted:

The next is a trigger spark bolt that delivers half a dozen chainsaws.

:hmmyes:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Well I just got Noita'd pretty hard. Had a great setup for getting to the extended game but needed to do it by climbing the tower, which I've never done before. Got almost to the tower entrance after beating the boss and somehow got teleported and polymorphed at the same time. There was a swapper mage but I didn't see a shot hit me so I don't know wtf. In any case I teleported and appeared as a sheep, stuck in a corner. I was able to dodge a shot or two from the polymorph mage but he nailed me long before I would have switched back. Polymorph is really aggravating, you can really quickly get to a point where other stuff isn't much threat but polymorph is pretty much always an instant kill and there's no way to mitigate it other than crap like stacking More Love.

EDIT: I even had an extra life! The fact that polymorph death bypasses even those and saving grace is even more bullshit!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

animatorZed posted:

Oops, guess I needed to be more careful...

https://i.imgur.com/YIiFSzz.mp4

What actually happened?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

animatorZed posted:

Explosion forensics time.

It's not my projectile.
It doesn't appear to be a nuke as it doesn't cave in the ceiling
I first thought holy hand grenade, but it doesn't have the signature falling fireball effects in the middle.

Current theory: off screen enemy randomly rolled the glass cannon perk and picked up a bomb wand.
However, bombs have a fairly long fuse and that thing goes off almost as soon as I crest the hill so maybe it was a different explosive.

Oh ok, I thought because you had said you needed to be more careful that it was an explosion that you somehow caused. I was peering at the gif trying to figure out if there was some kinda reaction happening to the water spraying or something.

Anybody played Noita Together? It reminds of me of ALTTP rando multiworld.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

It's always been theoretically possible, because you don't actually have to kill the boss. He doesn't turn active until you pick the item up. E: And you can just dig into the end room (or use the one above the mountain) to turn it in, even if the boss is alive.

Actually doing it on the other hand, well.

Pretty sure LetsSufferTogether has a video where he nabs the salt and then flees up to the mountain altar with the boss chasing him.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
And, unless this changed in the latest patch, you're pretty much guaranteed infinite black holes if you found black holes at all. Every time I've killed the alchemist I've gotten at least one greek letter spell for that. And he's easy to cheese.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

GoodluckJonathan posted:

He seems a lot harder to cheese now :(

Oh nooooooo. If that's the case that may be the end of the extended game for me lol. Cheesing him to get greek letters is the only way I ever got anywhere. Super steve may put the kibosh on my usual lumidrill holy mountain escape shenanigans too. I need to reinstall and see how all the new stuff plays.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
If you have pingpong lumi, the alchemist should be trivial. Just dig into the wall above his chamber and poke a little hole through. Just shoot when his shield is down and he can't do a drat thing to you.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

GoodluckJonathan posted:

He can destroy terrain now fyi.

Edit: ok I will just fess up he killed my rear end the first time I tried to beat him after the patch lmao

:negative:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Wow, I just got the dumbest win I've had so far. I'd gotten oil blood and exploding corpses and was living it up with my fire/explosion immunity with a triplicate bolt wand with fire trail and 2 fireball orbiters. Then, at the end of the vault I picked up a wand that had always.... cast.... nuke.... orbiter. What an obscenely stupid spell, it's amazing. With two triplicate bolts I was firing 24 nukes at a time lmfao. Using my insane power I visited total nuclear devastation on the temple of the art, the only thing that shithole deserves. I 24-nuked the boss, took half my health to falling ceiling chunks (fortunately I had found a ton of hearts) and then just barely dodged the absurd curtain of lava that fell from the ceiling. I had to nuke away the debris blocking the portal. In my hubris I nuked the final room too, barely survived the ceiling collapse and then timidly black holed my way to the altar rather than risk getting buried again.

This loving game lmao.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only thing that wand would nuke for me is my CPU

The game froze for a second or two every time it hit. That's how you know you're winning!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I stumbled across the lukki lair and got jumped by kammolukkis which were ... :gonk: completely new to me.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Shotgun guy picked up a wand with nuke orbiter in the hisii base :negative:

MAD is real

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone know if projectile modifiers apply to the projectiles create by orbit modifiers? Like if I put concentrated explosion and fireball orbit on a spell will the orbiting fireballs hit harder?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I started my first extended game in a long while. I had no idea that there could be wand connoisseurs between parallel worlds and high alchemists on the surface. That caught me off guard lol. Fortunately I have projectile repulsion, personal shield, and the shield spell on my wand so I'm not at much risk from polymorph projectiles.

For a while I was rocking a rapid fire lightning bolt wand with explosive projectile. I've never had the stuff to make a wand that like that AND the perks to mean it isn't suicide to use. It was pretty fun rocketing backwards, doing my Thor impression, while the terrain vaporized behind me :science:

animatorZed posted:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it does since they are spawned and not fired. Similarly, the copies of spells spawned by larpas don't seem to take modifiers.
I did recently notice an interaction that also involves fireball orbit.

I put freeze on a wand with fireball orbit and it doesn't appear to create frozen areas where the fireballs hit. Confirmed, I guess.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

animatorZed posted:

So this sucks...

I've abandoned a few 33 orb runs in the past because I got bored (multiple save slots would be great!).
Decided to finally actually finish one out since I never technically completed one.

Finally get all of them.
Kill the boss (I was both extremely cautious and hilariously overprepared)
take the sampo back the the sky altar

The cutscene starts, screen fades to black and.... the game crashes.
I try to load the game, it complains that it thinks the version is old and I spawn at the bottom of the lake (position of my last hard save), with 16 orbs. But the world is completely regenerated and different. Pause screen says that the seed is 0.

What actually happened here?
link for whole video
timestamp where the crash happens

The save file appears to be a weird messed up jumble of things.
I made a backup way back at the start of ng+ in case of crashing issues for long runs but didn't want to make more after that to avoid any potential savescumming. I can replay from there but I'd need to get all 33 again. I know where they are, but it's still a massive pain.

drat, that sucks. I got in the habit of backing of up my save pretty frequently on long runs because the game is pretty crashy for me - pretty much always sound-related crashes. I get a lot of crackling in the audio sometimes which I guess is somehow related? I've had the same thing happen where the world is regenerated with seed 0 after complaining about an old version. I just kept going and picked up all the new perks. The game has screwed me often enough from crashing that I figured I was owed a benefit for once.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
LMAO I just lost a 10 hour run that was intended for a 33-orb win because my insanely overpowered homing, drilling, lightning spewing murderwand broke a flask of chaotic polymorphine, an enemy standing next to the flask turned into a swapper mage, the mage was hit by the spell, I swapped into his place, turned into something or other, and was instantly killed by my own wand. What an absurdly unlucky chain of events. I had to look through the gif replay a few times to figure out what had happened.

https://i.imgur.com/FUjCS1r.mp4

I have a backup save from right before entering NG+ but I can't even be bothered to scum. The dumb thing is, I had iron stomach. I probably should have been chugging every flask of poly/chaotic poly that I found just to carry the immunity around.

An odd thing that happened earlier is that I went to the power plant for the first time but the boss just wasn't there.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

dis astranagant posted:

If you're gonna do a run like this you absolutely need to look up antipoly eggs

I got my 33 orb win yesterday and then learned about those right afterwards, from a furyforged video. They wouldn't have saved me in that death since I was killed by my own spell and there's not much that could have stopped it. In my victorious run I had 4 more happiness perks so I think even if I did get polyed I would probably have been ok as long as some environmental hazard didn't get me.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AceClown posted:

in my long runs 99% of the time I die because I'm using homing spells and accidently hit some poly and get a [div/10 - Mu - Heavy Shot - homing mist] to the face

This time I didn't put the insane lightning stuff on my homing mist so that the projectiles themselves wouldn't break flasks. I felt quite a bit safer (probably mistakenly).

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
So it seems folks have discovered a weird bug that lets you carry infinite wands and/or load infinite spells on one wand. It's pretty wild. I think people are hoping that Nolla will patch this one since it makes optimal play kind of a joke.

Seems like people could just... not abuse the bug what do I know :shrug:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

Circle of Vigor

In 140+ hours I've seen that spell exactly once. Naturally it was before they added progress tracking.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Killed Leviathan today and the game didn't give me credit for the kill in the progress screen :negative:

The same thing happened when I killed the power plant boss and I got the credit the second time so I guess I just need to do it again on my next god run.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

resistentialism posted:

The best teleport wand ever.

For when you have to make a dramatic entrance.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I tried fungal shifting poly today and the gods were not on my side. After many attempts I had managed to turn both blood and water into poison and a random smattering of other materials into poly. It did not go well for me after that.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

goferchan posted:

I don't think they spawn unless you ascend past a certain point or gently caress with the egg or some sort of trigger, do they? Either way, yeah, it's basically just one of many cues in the game that you have pissed off one of multiple powerful entities lol.

It's height based, iirc.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

resistentialism posted:

Check out the wand right at the start of this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6RsZscVGNI

Ah, the parallel world TP wand. People were talking about it on aliasbot's twitch chat but I'd never seen it in action. Wild.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I.... I.... sometimes manage to get two force-fields at once and like an explosion and fire immunity going.... I thought that was pretty good.... :stare:

The "main" game of noita is basically the tutorial for the real game lol
In my last really good run I travelled like this:
https://i.imgur.com/WgG83sV.mp4

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if it was actually worth the time it took to do this, but there was a real sense of satisfaction....

Having the freedom to just buy whatever I wanted whenever I wanted without giving a poo poo was kind of liberating.

In my current god run I found out that if you pick up a couple billion gold the game gives up and just shows ∞ as the amount. And it turns out it's really really easy to get billions of gold if you stack enough greed perks!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Is there some way to fix the game if it's refusing to spawn essence eaters? The main world didn't have any and between probably a dozen parallel worlds there's been 3. I've created the sun and got the fire and poop stones into the dark sun but I'm running around with the last three essences and the game has just decided to gently caress me.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
NVM, I realized I had a backup save from before I picked used the last essence eater so I rolled back to that and used that one to get all the stones.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Spades posted:

finished my blind playthrough, didn't take as long as I had expected for a roguelike.

Gotta say that the spell system in the game feels pretty lopsided, I figured out the chainsaw combo around playthrough 15, and on this run managed to make a wand that would completely cover the whole screen with 20 damage triple shot projectiles at a rate of a full screen every frame.

About half way through the jungle a worm ate into the next holy mountain so I threw caution to the wind and just facerolled until I ended up killing an optional boss while trying to find the main boss, and the main boss.

The endboss died before it got to move, and the game kept soft locking every 5 minutes unless I saved and quit each time to trigger the garbage collection.

That is an extremely fast first win, you have Succeeded At Videogames.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
So how do the scales work? I've created the sun and the dark sun in this run but nothing changed? Do I need to start a new game?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CxNk3Gb.mp4

God loving damnit.

The black hole sucked in the murder pixels from the square barrier

If you get stuck like that again, just wiggle back and forth really fast and the game will delete a square of material to try and unstick you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I understand it, ambrosia stains only wear off if you move by walking or flying.

Correct. You need very little ambrosia to make it to parallel worlds as long as you have a teleport wand.

This applies to all stains AFAIK.