Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Game's good. Last night I made my way as far to the right as possible before hitting the impenetrable wall. I wasted my bombs trying to do trick shots in the pyramid, so I couldn't get further into it than the entrance. I then spent my time finding neat and inventive ways to die.

10/10 would piss off the gods again.

EDIT:
Has anyone confirmed if passive spell effects stack? For example, if I put a shitload of slime trails on a projectile, would it create more slime than using only one?

I basically want to turn the game into one big Jello wrestling ring.

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's RNG heavy, but I only had one run last night that felt genuinely unfair, since I got all the way to the Ice Caves or whatever the third level is in the progression without finding any wands.

The RNG mostly dictates how hilariously chaotic the run gets. Chances are, by the second level, you're going to get an upgraded main weapon wand. It's just up to the RNG if it's a machine gun of bouncy balls or a want with a bunch of nukes in it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

the real irksome thing is that while toxin can kill you dead, it'll only reduce the health of enemies to 1, meaning that you can't use it for environmental deaths, only a general weakening of their health

Toxin will never take you below 3-5hp. Hubris, on the other hand, is fatal.

Toxin ticks are 2hp per, so it not being able to outright kill you is the balancing factor vs. fire, which ticks for 1hp but can kill you dead. This also means that, if your health is low enough or you're desperate, you can dip into toxic sludge to put out a fire.

It seems like most of what I find are loaded with either bombs, starting wand missiles, or bouncers. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but I'd love to get more interesting stuff like rain and digging more commonly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

This is like nethack where if you have teleporitis, it's basically a free teleport but uncontrollable. You can fix it by finding a ring of teleport control which stops the uncontrollable-ness and actually lets you choose to teleport or teleport whenever it tries to warp you somewhere else.

It's a solution to fix something to give benefit.

In this game, it's simply get a potion of any kind, dump out it's entire contents (either right click it to spew whatever is inside or right click in inventory to dump it all at once) and just fill it water. One bottle can fix a lot of things many times during a level. Don't like acid, squirt it up into the air and get a shower. On fire? Take a shower. A big crater full of fire/lava. Use it like a water hose to make it safer.

What I am saying is that the gameplay is and it gives you lots of tools to fix things if you prepare. A bottle of water is the easier solution. Hell, you can fill up at the pools where you refill health and charges.

The game is lacking in communication. I only learn things like "dumping out potions will allow you to fill bottles with water," here in this thread.

I do wish there were guaranteed spawns of stuff like max health ups and wands, though, even if it was something like X per level. That would smooth out the difficulty curve almost as much as reducing sludge's tick damage.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

Or if it's pheromone or polymorph/lava/chaotic polymorph/berserkium, just go to inventory and right click the bottle to chug it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Yeah shuffle wands 100% need to go. They're not fun to work with and are just a chaotic mess when designing a wand.

A better interface for wand-crafting would be nice. I'd like to be able to see how much total mana is being used in a single shot, so to help me figure out what other spells I can fit. Also make it clearer what spells and effects are effecting each other in the interface. I kind of have to do everything in my head, and it gets confusing with a wand with 25 slots...

I like the idea behind shuffle wands and think they could be a lot of fun in a different game, but, in practice, they don't fit the deliberate feel of Noita. Like a few other people here have mentioned, I wind up using them either to store multiples of a spell, or, if I pick one up outside of the Holy Mountain, to keep their spells until I can remove them and place them in non-shuffle wands. They don't actually add anything to the game play except wands found in the wild that range from "no more useful than a non-shuffle wand" to "uselessly random." The most common way they affect a given run is by filling up an inventory slot until their spells can be removed and the wand can be dumped.

I really want to like them, and think they're a compelling idea, but they're so common and boring that they can be removed from the game and I wouldn't bat an eye. They could be fun if they were a) rare, and b) always loaded with 2-3 level out-of-depth spells and modifiers for the sheer chaos of that, but as they stand, they just aren't fun.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting a blank white screen and crash when loading the game? This just started happening tonight. I'm running the beta branch and tried verifying the files and reinstalling it, but neither worked.

EDIT: Never mind, a computer restart fixed it.

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 5, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

- Edit Wands Anywhere needs to be a default behavior, not a perk. At the moment, actually getting a good offensive wand is excessively difficult, partly because some of the basic projectiles are frankly poo poo. This causes knock-on problems too, in that you often have to take like three wands with an assortment of boring projectile spells to the end of the level so you can try and concoct a decent primary attack tool, which means sometimes leaving behind wands that contain the interesting utility spells, which limits your ability to engage with the neat physics system.

At first, I would have disagreed with you. I liked the feeling of getting through level by the skin of my teeth and whatever I could scavenge. Now, though, I completely agree. It punishes exploration outside of the default path, since every new place you visit without a holy mountain between you and it and experimentation, both of which are core themes in the game. I understand not wanting to mess with the flow of the game mid-level, but at least leave that choice to the player.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
EVERY TIME I find a wand with nukes I pick it up and EVERY TIME I move to what I think is a safe spot and EVERY TIME I use it I blow myself up.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Ive played like 30 hours of this now and only seen giga black hole twice. once on literally my first ever run where I cast it and died, the second time i got it was yesterday, put it on a wand with trigger bolt and it carried me to my first win.

I've also only gotten giga black hole twice, the second time just far enough from the first that I forgot what happened when it's cast. That was a good run, too.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love the simplicity of putting a chainsaw in the starting bomb wand. There's something so satisfying about chewing through a crowd of enemies before they have a chance to react.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

it would be nice to have a place to ACTUALLY safely experiment with wands....as in....for those of us who don't really have a firm grasp on how stuff works, be temporarily invulnerable so u can try out a wand combo and have it not just, blow up in your face and kill you instantly. idk. those deaths are funny but also...I want to live.

I'd love a training room mode outside of the main game where you can safely test out the spells you've found in-game. Give it a bunch of regenerating scenery, some training dummies, full invincibility for the witch, a set of different wands with varying recharge and cast delay times, and a full inventory of every spell you've actually used at least once in the main game so that it still makes you experience that sweet, sweet, ohshit moment when casting a spell the first time not knowing exactly what it does.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Terry van Feleday posted:

The god tier perks are, imo:

Explosion Immunity - As Cardiovorax says, most really nasty high burst damage attacks are explosion type, and being immune to most wand self-damage can be a big deal

Edit Wands Anywhere - Disregarding my insistence that this should be a default feature, this is a huge boon in terms of wand and spell managment and actually having the right tools on hand when you need them

Permanent Shield - If explosions are the biggest burst damage, stray projectiles are probably the biggest source of gradual attrition, and this negates them completely. Plus, it lets you peek out of cover more aggressively against stuff like turrets and gives you a second of protection if you drop into a bad situation

Homing Shots - My favourite perk, Homing Shots has so much utility that its downsides (not working well with some spells, sometimes homing in on a dude behind a wall instead of what you are actually trying to kill) are well worth dealing with. With the right spells it effectively negates accuracy as a stat, lets you get significantly more effective damage out of things like multi-scattershot, buffs spells otherwise troubled by having severe projectile drop like fireballs, and lets you hit enemies around corners without exposing yourself. Better yet, it even works on static projectiles - homing grand cross (+ dmg aura) has already been called out as pretty broken, and homing frezing circle is quite delightful

Perk balance is pretty poor and the table is too diluted with perks that are worthless, kinda niche or even actively detrimental, so getting any of those 4 is a huge boon to your run. I also like Faster Movement, too.

This list is completely correct, but missing melee immunity. That and a fast firing chainsaw wand makes Noita play like Doom with permanent berserk mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

I wonder if you can do forward recoil with different spells slotted into the behind and ahead formation.

Nothing would be more Noita than the force splatting the...noita.