Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crypt of the Necrodancer had a good model for meta progression. You had one mode where you went one zone at a time, collected gems to buy new items to appear in the dungeon or bonuses to your next run, but another mode that had you do the whole game top to bottom that disregarded all of that. So you could make tangible progress while you were getting a feel for the game and exploring its options, then you could do proper runs once you felt ready.

My Noita highlight so far has been reaching the temple shop for the first time, getting a spell that modifies my wand with electric light, then jumping in the water and immediately dying of electrocution. This is definitely a game where the best anecdotes are the hilarious ways you ate poo poo.

One warning, while getting a feel for the spell system I dropped a spell but couldn't pick it up again because it landed on a shop item I couldn't afford. The shop dialog was taking priority over just picking things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Victory Position posted:

the real irksome thing is that while toxin can kill you dead, it'll only reduce the health of enemies to 1, meaning that you can't use it for environmental deaths, only a general weakening of their health

Toxin won't take your last hit point either, though if you're down to 1hp you're on borrowed time anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh. Right below the start point I found a cache of various potions in a burning room. One of them was teleportatium that spilled, and whisked me away to an electrified pond. Fastest death ever!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Correct on shuffle wands, they effectively scramble the spell order when they recharge, including modifiers.

You can edit your wands in the safe zones between levels. Just drag and drop the spell icons in your inventory screen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a bit of a conflict in the game's design between being a challenge and being a sandbox. All the charismatic fun the game is sold on, with crafting elaborate destructive spells, is locked behind a fairly frustrating gameplay challenge that regularly resets all the opportunities you found. Of course, that frustrating challenge is what roguelikes are about, and without it the game would ultimately be rather shallow as there wouldn't be much to use all your creations for.

The balance can be struck, but I don't think it's there yet. It needs to swing more into the sandbox side, at least early on. Giving more to play with up front would help, and the development is definitely heading in that direction. The suggestion to edit your wand anywhere as standard would help too.

Personally if I were to throw an idea out there I'd put in a sort of between-games foyer that just lets you play around with spells, traits and flasks you found in your runs. Nothing that you could actually bring into the mountain, just giving you a chance to try that combo you got all the components for but died before you reached the next temple, or generally safely find out how fire trail interacts with slime cloud, that sort of thing. More of the fun experimenting without the risk of losing all the fun stuff you found, without affecting the actual challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.