Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

(Points made in the thread duly noted!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

(Tweaking Slime blood to be less of a nuisance would definitely be great, but for now here's a currently undocumented feature: Slime blood reduces damage taken from projectiles by 60% (and Oil blood reduces explosion damage by a similarish amount, I think?))

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I Said No posted:

Is that currently live or planned?

It's been in since launch, I think, it's just been undocumented because I'm a silly person.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Wait, is this your game? ARE YOU THE NOITA

I'm one member of the team, yeah. I designed the enemy that spawns minions upon taking damage, sorry about that

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

i keep crashing when i kick things, does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I have the Noita + mod made by a goon.

The kick-related code was changed in a recent update and Noita+ tries to adjust the old kick stuff, causing errors (afaik). I think someone linked a newer version of Noita+ here with fixes for that (something like version 1.2.1?)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sneak peek of the upcoming spells:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

So yeah, 1.0 is out now! Yay: https://store.steampowered.com//app/881100?beta=0
There's also a 20% discount for the next 7 days! Thanks for all the discussion, I've been reading this thread a lot over the past year :)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I would prefer the option to toggle random starting loadouts off, that beginner water flask was a lifesaver in mines with all the poison and fire around.

I mean sure you can empty it and find water, but I would still prefer to always start with a water flask / starting wands.

That has come up a bunch as feedback already; I guess we'll see what we'll do regarding it.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The flask change has garnered a lot of comments; I'm pretty sure we'll be considering what to do about it. :) Thanks for all the other feedback & gifs as well!

TACD posted:

I feel like the game should keep track of the greatest top speed / acceleration achieved

This is a really good idea, haha!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got the rat.

The cause of your death has been repositioned a bit in the latest beta update, to save people from being shot from off-screen. Sorry! Glad you got the rat, though.

Post poste posted:

So, is there any particular reason Noita crashes steam when I close it? Or is that just weird poo poo for my PC?

This is the first time I hear of this issue, so (hopefully) it's not a common thing.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This was 2 feet into the very first zone though. The fog wouldn't stay revealed and there was only a small amount of light around me. Also I just kicked a hand and it got quite cross at me.

It's one of the new biome modifiers; essentially a random additional effect to spice up the areas a bit.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I will be looking at making companions like plague rats and homunculi harder to turn on you; it can be fun sometimes but I'd rather have those be actually viable tools instead of death sentences!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm intending to balance the loadouts a bit this week, actually! I'm glad to hear people are still using them. :)

(Also just today I made Oil Blood give you fire immunity; making the weaker perks more useful is on the list.)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

For the record, there hasn't been any intentional plan from our side to dilute the perk pool; a more accurate way of putting it is that there have been some quite different design logics at play when considering what perks to add, and that some of them are so absurdly powerful/versatile that both the actually-not-very-good and the fairly-situational perks seem way less useful in comparison.

I actually spent last week buffing some of the less handy perks; I wouldn't want to really remove any of them (or nerf the really good ones, either) but some are such in their nature that they definitely will never be very powerful (for example Boomerang Spells would need a pretty hefty upside to stand on its own). Hopefully I can bring some of them at least to the realm of "I might pick this up if one of the really really good perks doesn't turn up", at least. The current beta update has e.g. improved the various Revenge perks in ways I hope make them more usable.

I'm also hoping we can remove some of the downsides of the minion-spawning perks like Plague Rats and Homunculus; I really like the idea behind them and it's a bummer that e.g. berserkium can make them so detrimental to the player.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I'm not nearly good enough of a player to get any sort of exact values, but have you considered having some of the ... less handy perks just have some sort of extra small benefit? Like half of a heart value of hp, or a small move speed increase, things like that.

Yeah, for sure; I think that's what'll end up happening with something like Boomerang Spells because there's really not much of a way to make the effect itself useful. However, I'd prefer having the positive side-effect be thematically related to the actual effect; that'd be aesthetically much more pleasing. (To give an example, when updating Revenge Explosions I made it give you additional explosion resistance. Added resistance is useful but somewhat uninteresting in itself, but in this case it seemed thematically appropriate and added some value to the perk!)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Yikes. So can material fall through the portal as well?

I think that's caused by the Holy Mountains being loaded as you get close to them instead of being there from the beginning; we've had some a bit annoying bugs lately and I think the 1.0 update made them load "late" a bit more often. :/ Something to look at.

Sailor Dave posted:

I definitely think the perk descriptions option of Goki's Things should be in the main game.

eke out posted:

yeah there's no need to punish players for curiosity any more than the game does by default, perks should tell you what they do

I haven't seen how it works in Goki's, but yeah, I do agree - I think the current implementation was more of a "we already have a system for showing the name and don't have time/resources to add a system to show the description atm" thing instead of an intentional decision. I doubt changing this would be too much work, although there is quite a lot we're still working on.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Explosion resistance is a nice benefit, but in a balls-hard game where HP regen is extremely difficult to come by, Revenge Explosions is and will always be too dangerous to take unless I already have Explosion Immunity. So the bonus resistance does nothing in practice to tempt me to take RE.

The explosion from Revenge Explosion at least shouldn't harm the player (although I have to admit that I've never exactly tested if this is actually the case and just trusted the settings; will have to do that!), although of course the explosion detonating other nearby explosive things would nevertheless be an issue.

And yeah, it's a classic issue that a developer gets too attached to their own ideas and is cross to remove them even when they turn out to be unworkable. Kill your children and all that. I think I'll still give rebalancing the perks a honest try before removing any, though (and imo having a couple underwhelming perks isn't a bad thing if they're goofy/interesting in some way - it only becomes a real issue if players feel that a large % of the perk pool is bad, which has seemed to be the consensus in some contexts.)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

If anyone notices some kind of a pattern to crashes that turn up, we super appreciate that extra info in hunting them down!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Hey Noita dev dude, maybe acid shouldn't have exactly the same color as toxic sludge? Tired of getting killed by small pools of it that are indistinguishable from sludge when mixed with blood and oil and poo poo

We've adjusted the colours a bunch to make them more different, but there are a bunch of limitations to the colouring that make it harder to make them fully distinguishable; the game has a very high variance to the contrasts between different materials & materials and the background, so things can't be too dark or light, and the existence of various other magical liquids make it easy to make two liquids look more different and then accidentally ending up having the same issue with another pair of materials.

That said, I haven't heard that specific complaint in a long time, so I wasn't aware that it was still an issue. Thanks for reporting that, and sorry about it. For more info, are they literally indistinguishable for you, or are you talking more about a difficulty in distinguishing them when there's a lot of other stuff around them or there're only a couple pixels of either?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sadly I couldn't make the laser not deal self-damage but I'll try to get that fixed next week.

OwlFancier posted:

I would personally suggest acid would benefit from a fuming effect like some of the potions have because I also cannot see the colour difference.

I think either acid or toxic sludge (or both) have a particle effect already, but making it more intense could indeed be a good idea. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's like they're listening for the enemies that high-level players complain about and making more of them! :v:

I've been trying to keep the more endgamey high-level player stuff locked in areas that only those players would visit, and generally tried not to go overboard with the kind of "oh?? A player survived that bossfight??? We'll I guess I gotta make it harder then!" mindset that sometimes causes trouble with games that include difficult challenges.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Is this because of my rant the other day? :D

Yup, and the discussion that followed! :) It's a very small change but should at least help with stagnant pools of acid that haven't started reacting for whatever reason.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

He also made Baba Is You

hempuli is cool and smart af

Thank you :blush:

animatorZed posted:

Oh, are you a dev? I was looking to make a bug report/request anyways based on my first into cloudscape.

I was in the cloudscape and had the leg mutation from the temple/lab.

It was extremely easy/common to get stuck in cloud pixels and unable to move at all, especially when using destructive spells but also sometimes just because of falling gold/objects disturbing the surface. The game did not consider me close to terrain despite being in and around clouds so I wasn't able to levitate. Digging bolt/luminous drill didn't free me even with exploding projectile attached and wiggling around only occasionally dislodged me and lonely after a long time. Recoil wands didn't do anything.

Some form of teleportation was the only thing that consistently got me free. I didn't have teleport bolt and going back to search I only found return which thankfully did work since it could displace me a few pixels.
That one spell that destroys a bunch of terrain and summons a bunch of worms worked but even then the terrain destruction didn't free me but a worm passing through my position did.
It shouldn't be so easy to get stuck like that as it happened frequently, or it should be possible to dislodge yourself with drill/bolt/chainsaw combinations as those work when similar but less common situations occur in more normal terrain.

If it helps I can grab a clip of the situation.

The lukki & leggy mutations are currently very janky; we actually removed the lukki mutation for a bit with the intention to update it, but didn't have time for that yet.

Semi-relatedly, a new update is going up in ~5 minutes!
Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9Vl2VFCX0

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Awesome. This game is really fantastic.

Do updates affect in progress runs?

Thanks! They might, especially if you're doing a long run where you plan to return to earlier places a lot. The most common issue I've seen that when returning to previously-visited places, the new content makes the game confused about what to load and thus you get random enemies and such replacing whatever was there before. At least taking a backup of your run before updating may be a good idea :)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

jsoh posted:

im hitting for a thousand damage with spark bolts on my always cast spells to power wand, because its eating my levitation trail from the perk.

got me my first win because i could just one shot everything up to the boss

Oh yeah, I was notified of this but I forgot to adjust it before the update. Oh well!

I think I'm going to add at least one more "X to Power" spell, let's see how that goes...

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The most recent hotfix shuffled some perk stats around but I couldn't adjust the perk descriptions to match yet; apologies about that. The Pinpointer perk now gives your spells some spread reduction and extra speed, and Concentrated Spells still reduces spread (although somewhat less than it used to), increases your spell damage (+12.5 damage to all projectiles and +5 damage to their explosions) and slows down your firerate a bit & increases knockback, although not as ridiculously as it used to. I've heard some reports that Concentrated Spells is an OK pick atm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in need of buffing.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

will mods still let you get the ingame progress stuff?

Mods prevent you from getting Steam achievements, otherwise there are no restrictions.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

TaurusTorus posted:

Found a great treasure chest

it was full of urine and spiders.

Hempuli I play this game to escape reality

I'm sure it's been shared earlier in the thread, but during an AMA our teammember Petri shared the story of how early on (when we weren't even making a roguelite but instead a Back & White -style "lead-your-tribe-as-a-god" deal) we implemented peeing & pooping; poo disappeared quickly from the get-go but pee stayed around so neutral animals eventually ended up filling all valleys & pits in the hillside with pee and drowning. Almost all the creatures (player included!) still have a deprecated "defecates_and_pees" flag, as well as stuff like "butt_offset_x" and "pee_velocity_x".

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think the Damage Field doesn't actually register for the boss as it taking damage for the purposes of realizing to put on the shield. Alternatively the way the Damage Field deals damage goes a different pathway than normal damage and thus skips the whole resistance thing the boss has going on. It's technically a bug but I don't really mind.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

i've thought about doing it now but it seems a little late for that

I've been told that there's some mysterious way to set your Steam games to earlier builds; I haven't checked how that works or really verified it but I've seen it mentioned multiple times in relation to other games.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Developer bias and all, but I feel that in Noita you don't need *all* that much stuff to be able to beat the game without e.g. plinking at enemies from afar for minutes. The enemies will be quite beefy in the Vault and Temple of the Art, but to me the game nevertheless generally manages to avoid the kind of "yeah, you can technically win but it's not going to be fun because you're underpowered" -situations that at times crop up in roguelites, especially ones with heavy metaprogression or high variance in player power between runs.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, admittedly my point at some level boiled down to me patting myself on the back for the game allowing for a playstyle I subjectively find comfortable, heh. Should've considered the post more carefully.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sorry about the description for Concentrated Spells being unclear atm; I wanted to differentiate it a bit from Pinpointer when I added spread reduction to that perk (which is also currently a "hidden" feature, and the method I chose was to make it increase your damage but also increase spell delay slightly. However, at that point it was too late to update the descriptions. I'll adjust the perk (and fix the description, whatever its features end up being) in future updates.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Heads-up, I accidentally broke some reactions related to concentrated mana and metals (beta server only); it's not intended but the devteam is on Christmas holidays so a fix will take a bit. Happy holidays! There'll be a couple fun surprises that can happen over the next couple days when playing.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I'm wondering what the maximum amount of shield defenses you can have is. There's the Shield perk of course, plus the Projectile Repulsion Field and the one that deletes projectiles that hit a small arc behind you. Then there's the passive shield on wands and the passive forward-arc shield. And the projectile slowing field perk. Am I missing anything else?

The shield perk was recently made stacking so that every additional stack adds an extra ring of shield around you! Also there's phasing, technically.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Yeah I have all the useless bullshit perks disabled. Should be pointed out that it requires an extra step of enabling the option to use goki's menu to manage perks/spells/etc from vanilla and other mods.

Which perks would you currently consider to be useless bullshit? I think I can guess some, but it'd be good to know if there are some perks people consider useless that could be made less so.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Freeze Field has seemed to be more in an odd space of "it's really useful but has very hefty downsides" rather than outright uselessness.
Also, regarding Homunculus - is it still useless even after the homunculi were made unable to pick up wands & the berserking behaviours of minions were changed? Do they still keep killing the player, or are they just not powerful enough?
As for Exploding Gold, yeah, I can definitely see the issue; I buffed the explosion a lot but I guess the effect just plain isn't super useful. The ideas of combining it with Gold Is Forever for long runs and/or making it react to enemies are great, thanks!
Teleportitis is mostly a huge liability but imo has its place in some nonstandard setups. I feel that it's problem is mostly that it's very dangerous unless you're very specifically doing a speedrun.

Low/High Gravity feel to me like the least useful perks; I like what they do on a conceptual level but they feel more like something that should be a biome modifier rather than a perk, because the player seldom has any wishes to activate effects like that just for fun, at the cost of precious perk slots.

As for Angry Ghost, I assume the biggest trouble with it is that it can too easily hurt the player by copying e.g. explosive spells?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The way Always Cast works is that there's a fairly high chance that it'll give you a spell from a curated list (which includes e.g. Acid Trail & Damage+), and if that doesn't happen, it rolls the dice again and depending on your luck gives you a modifier spell, a static projectile, or a projectile (in increasing order of rarity). There might be a fourth category between modifiers and static projectiles, I recently tweaked it to remove multicast spells from the logic because they had some glitchy interactions, but I don't have the source at hand atm.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

EDIT: Also, the game kept crashing once I started digging a lot. It probably crashed 5 times. A couple times it recovered me inside of extremely dense rock, fortunately I had fast digging so I could get an air hole before I suffocated. After it crashed some areas, like the surface above the mines, lost their background images. It was really weird.

That's odd; the game currently has started to get crashy after exploring *really huge* areas but what you're describing doesn't sound like it should count. Is your disk space almost full? It could technically be that the save file was slowly increasing close to the allowed limit.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

Nope I've got a couple hundred GBs free. Does the game save a crashlog or something somewhere? I looked in the save folder but didn't see one. It was only crashing while I was in the act of digging around the edges of the main biomes - it never crashed when I was doing anything else, even after digging. I can't remember if it was crashing when I was using a simple lumi drill lightsaber or if it only started when I started using a goofier wand later.

I have some audio glitching sometimes too, very rapid fire wands will intermittently stop making sound entirely. Maybe that's normal though?

The audio glitch is a known one and (afaik) unrelated. Backgrounds disappearing has so far seemingly only happened when the save file has otherwise gotten really large (and basically only when exploring parallel worlds), which is why I asked. Next time this happens, backup your savefile; we might be able to track down the cause from that.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

There's an underlying logic to the way Always Cast multicast spells work, but as said, it doesn't really follow the logic you'd assume due to the way the priorities between always-casts, multicasts, and the normal first-spell-on-the-line work. I don't recall exactly what the internal order is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was e.g. AC cast -> the first spell on the line -> the multicasts from the AC. An extra point of confusion is of course that the AC gets cast every time the wand is used, so the unusual ordering happens every time. As a result it seemed smarter to just disable multicasts from AC entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

That's why I couldn't find them. Who named those!?

"Condition" and such seemed to programmery! Even though all sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from programming, I thought some more "magical" terminology was called for.

Edit:

The new beta update added some nice spells (don't worry, the one shown here isn't yet another sawblade spell)

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 26, 2021