Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've never gotten the hang of auto-aim, I gave up on it because too often it tries to target something on the other side of a wall instead of the thing a screen away I actually want to target. It would be a lot handier if it targeted whatever's closest to your cursor when you fire, rather than whatever's closest to you.

So let me tell you about my latest Noita experience. I got it a couple weeks ago and, being Very Bad at it, have died a couple hundred times, usually hilariously, and probably still don't really understand how rods work. I am cheating with the auto-regen mod and set it to regen about 3HP a second. Fleeing to safety and standing around a minute or two to recover my health is boring and lame, you say? Yes, yes it is. But so is running the mines over and over and over. And over. And over.

Anyway, last night I got deeper than I ever have before, thanks to a wondrous murderwand (magic arrow+trigger plus quadcast on a low-recharge wand with 10 slots = win button) and terrific luck with the Perk Lottery (explosion-proof, lightning-proof, low-grav, fast-movement, saving grace). I've never looked at the wiki and tried to avoid obvious spoilers in this thread, so I had no idea just how far the game goes. The rest in spoilers in case anyone else here is like me.

So after like two hours of carefully descending the Temple of the Art I find the red warp, go in, find the huge spider guy. I'm like, all right, finally, a boss! He dies in like 5 seconds :geno:. (I now am given to understand there are things called 'orbs' which make him more of an HP sponge if you collect them, but I've only ever seen one.) He drops ~The Work~ and then I warp to this... weird entrapped stone place? There's nothing here really except a spot where I'm supposed to deposit The Work. OK, this is definitely gonna be the Big Boss. Get everything ready, stick The Work in there, flee like hell to the top corner because an explosion is definitely about to happen. Indeed a big explosion does happen, and then... uh... nothing? I'm trapped in a small triangle in the corner by some kind of barrier. I blow it up without killing myself thanks to explosion resistance and now there's a giant pile of gold and, uh, wait. Is everything gold? I don't get it. Where's the boss? I figure it must be up to me to dig my way out of here, so I spend about an hour blasting the hell out of everything and digging a long, huge crater and collecting about a million dollars before I give up and check the wiki and discover: that's it. I've beaten the game. But it doesn't tell me that, because I was supposed to die.

:doh:

Killing myself actually proved to be a hell of a challenge, between the resistances and Saving Grace + regen (tip: with auto-regen, Saving Grace makes you nearly invincible. Something has to damage you during the split-second window before your HP goes up to 2 to kill you.) Sawblades? Chucked 'em a couple stages back. Bombs? No good. No lava. Hmmmm.

I finally managed to successfully commit suicide by blasting my way straight down so as to bury myself in gold dust and suffocate before I could collect it all. That's right: I died by suffocating under a mountain of gold. Eat your fuckin' heart out, Scrooge McDuck :black101:

Game is fun as hell. I'm super filthy casual and will probably never play it without regen cheating (though I don't intend to take Saving Grace again as that just trivializes things too much), all the fun is in tinkering with wands and blowing everything (often including yourself) to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I suspect it's the combo of Saving Grace and the regen mod that screwed things up for you. The script for that area didn't anticipate that. I'm pretty sure that if you just have Saving Grace then things proceed as intended, because that'd be a, uh, significant oversight, otherwise.

Yeah, with that I think I would have survived the blast anyway, but apparently it's possible with the fast movement perk to scoot up into the corner and get just outside the blast radius before it goes off, which is what I did (I took no damage and ended up trapped in a tiny spot on the top left of the room outside the huge circle afterward).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In Today I Learned, Noita Edition: New Game Plus + More Hatred perk = Hiisi Civil War.

Throw in More Blood for extra :stare: My god, the entire Hiisi Base is a blood lake and they still keep coming

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It would be about 2035 before computers and networks are developed capable of multiplayer Noita, and the world won't last that long

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, not being able to see jackshit really spices up my video game experience let me tell you.

e: I don't mean to be hard on you because Noita is a loving amazing game, but loving with the player's ability to, y'know, see what the hell is going on is (a) just making the game less fun, and (b) especially bad in Noita where seeing the amazing and hilarious poo poo that can happen to the environment all around you is 71% of the experience.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I use a polymorph immunity mod because gently caress one-shot instadeath.

I've weaned myself off of it, but if you want to take a bit of the edge off Noita's brutality, the HP regen mod is nice. You can customize the speed at which HP regens and the max it will regen to (so you can set it to, say, regen to 25% of your max HP before stopping, or 50% or 72% or whatever). If you get busted up but survive you can go hide somewhere and recover some HP.

Just try to resist the temptation to combine it with the Saving Grace perk, as it will make you almost invincible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Basically it works out to "you have to be able to kill Steve by the time you reach the underground jungle" which is pretty dependent on what wands/spells the RNG gives you.

The holy mountain is supposed to be the one place you can safely chill out and mess with your wands, but I guess the devs think that should only apply for the first 3 levels. After that, you have to either be able to kill Steve or just grab a wand/spell and a perk and book it out of there, because you have somewhere between 10 and maybe 40 seconds before a spider digs into the temple and angers the gods.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 24, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cheatgui hasn't been updated but still works in 1.0 for me, and I assume it can't access the new perks/spells, but it has a functional custom wand builder.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really don't know what goes on in my brain when I decide to test shoot an earthquake shot in the middle of hissi base when I already got a pretty perfect build going on. I mean. why.

:thatsnoita:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Games > Noita: Can't get over how stupid and unnecessary that death was

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

The gods randomly getting angered is completely different in my opinion, since it happens fairly often and you'll rarely have any idea what even caused it. I've had the gods get angered before I even reach the first holy mountain before!

In my experience it's usually either because some acid ate through the holy mountain brickwork, or something fell in some chaotic polymorphine, became a worm/spider, and did its thing.

Usually though the holy mountain between Hiisi Base and the jungle is where you first run into Steve, because of the drat spiders.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Steve can be reliably killed with a chainsaw-powered machinegun wand (anything that can overwhelm his shield) and enough practice to learn how to dodge his missiles.

But basically either you find the proper wands/spells to be able to kill him by the time you (usually) confront him in the fourth holy mountain, or you're forced to run past him, ignoring the wands/spells, maybe being able to quickly yoink a perk on your way past or maybe not, and go on to the next stage.

I'm not opposed to the concept of Steve being a midgame miniboss, as functionally he is. I don't like how you're not allowed to use holy mountains for their supposed purpose (chilling out and tinkering with your wands) if you can't kill him after Hiisi base.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

One noteworthy footnote to Codfish’s cool and good effortpost is that wands still regenerate mana when they’re not being held, but recharge time is counted only when you’re actually holding the wand. For this reason I usually find I can live with low mana/good regen/low recharge time and have 2-3 attack wands to flip between while the empty ones regain mana, but anything with a recharge time over 1 second I try to avoid using offensively if at all possible.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well, guess you can stop the spiders digging into the temple and angering the gods now. Masterful troll move making people waste a perk slot to stop it.

I mean, it’s pretty obvious just from the game design that the devs aren’t big fans of players :haw:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 29, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think he just means taking the More Blood perk multiple times.

I actually really like Slime Blood because slime no longer making you agonizingly slow is a real nice QOL improvement

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Before 1.0 like half the perks were traps, since 1.0 now it's about three-fourths of them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Beeline to fungal caverns to the west of the second level, find good wands/spells there then book it to the holy mountain, or die trying

(the latter is far more common)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Snowy Depths are also something of a trap when it comes to gold. A lot of enemies fly, and the highly vertical layout means that when they die they're very likely to drop their gold into a crevasse. Chasing after that gold is a trap! You may well end up dropping into a firefight or otherwise aggroing a bunch of new enemies. For the most part I consider the Snowy Depths to be a wash moneywise; you can get some money, mostly from rats, turrets, and those frozen pod spitter things, but you shouldn't try to grab every gold nugget that spawns.

Underground Jungle is this too but even more so.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know what my CPU doesn't like?

Really doesn't like?

Trying to drain the Lake by transmuting it to whiskey and setting it on fire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For purposes of putting together a reliable murderwand, there is only a small selection of spells you’re really looking for, and all but one of them are modifiers: damage plus, crit plus, heavy shot, increase mana, reduce recharge, and chainsaw. Also triple/quad spell of course, but those are everywhere. The modifiers (and a wand with the capacity, mana, and low enough recharge to take advantage of them) are what you’re really looking for. You generally don’t find them until midgame at best, but they are the real reason you want to risk exploring at least some of the fungal caverns.

Here’s a protip that I myself know but never heed and always die as a result: don’t use any kind of fire spell if you don’t have fire immunity, period. Especially not fire-based modifiers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What’s the preferred strat for breaking into the parallel worlds? Do you basically need to somehow have 1000+ HP or a means of on-demand healing to survive the cursed rock?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Setting off 6 damaging spells inside a mob destroys it and probably also anything else nearby, plus being able to cast explosive/fiery spells from a safe distance yeah. And depending on the spells/modifiers it's also how you shoot around corners to kill stuff before it can damage you.

As has been discussed, the other super simple murderwand is the machine gun (modifiers -> doublecast -> basic attack spell -> chainsaw)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 4, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. The basic Murderwand Kit consists of four compenents:

1. A wand with high mana/regen, at least 7-8 slots, and low recharge time
2. At least one (but preferably 2-3) damage modifiers (in order of preference, Damage Plus, Heavy Shot, Crit Plus)
3. At least one multicast spell
4. Either a spell+trigger or a chainsaw

And you use those to compile either:

The explosive sniper rifle wand (spell+trigger -> modifiers -> multicast -> as many spells as wand slots and multicasts allow
or
The machine gun (modifiers -> multicast -> low-mana attack spell -> chainsaw)

The machine gun has the added benefit of not really caring if it's a shuffle wand (Can't do the trigger setup effectively with shuffle) and not needing as many slots, but it's not nearly as effective at long range.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cheatgui still works and has a widget for it, also.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A lot of my deaths are caused by me thinking I have an escape route only to find myself stuck on one single solid pixel that I can’t see.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It depends which wand has the best stats but ideally you want

spark bolt+trigger -> damage plus -> damage plus -> triple spread -> firebolt -> firebolt -> firebolt. You can keep extra firebolts and swap them in when they run out.

That requires 7 slots, if you can get a decent wand with more slots (I assume the stats on that 18 slot monster suck) then use your hex spread and add as many spells as you can cram onto that mofo.

If that's too mana intensive then you can use the bubble sparks I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah sorry, I know what the death crosses are, I was referring to the spells on his first wand, which are not bubble sparks but bouncy bursts.

I've never been able to get the hang of the delay on death cross so I rarely use it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I had 312 hp by the third zone, just calmly making my way eastwards and then:

Just gotta laugh I guess...

fuckin' drive-by :drat:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It’s clear the devs went out of their way to drastically nerf perks (by adding a big pile of useless-to-harmful ones to the pool) and likely they will continue to do so, so you’ll have to look to modding if you want to more regularly be able to pick good perks.

There’s a mod to make rerolling perks drastically (and customizably) cheaper past the first couple rerolls, that’s a good plug-and-go option. You can also use cheatgui to give yourself the Extra Perk perk right off the bat, to mitigate the big pile of useless-to-harmful perks in the pool.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 8, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The rare perks would presumably be the good perks, so wouldn't you just pick the rare one every time?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think the optimum strat is really just to rush through the caves. If you happen upon a wand on your way down grab it, but really your goal is to find the holy mountain portal, and then if you still have plenty of health and feel like it you can poke around to the left and right a little for hearts or wands.

Always check the fungal caverns, even one or two wands from there can be game changing if you're lucky, but if you see one those machine-gun robocop bastards or those shielded flying assholes just forget it and run like hell, they will probably kill you.

Once again it's probably best to find the leftmost holy mountain portal in the mines, make sure you have a straight escape route directly to it, then poke around in the fungal caverns.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It affects your own projectiles and can have unpredictable results while moving.

also

My CPU melted just from playing these gifs. Thanks, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, for sure; I think that's what'll end up happening with something like Boomerang Spells because there's really not much of a way to make the effect itself useful. However, I'd prefer having the positive side-effect be thematically related to the actual effect; that'd be aesthetically much more pleasing. (To give an example, when updating Revenge Explosions I made it give you additional explosion resistance. Added resistance is useful but somewhat uninteresting in itself, but in this case it seemed thematically appropriate and added some value to the perk!)

Thanks a lot for being active on this thread, it's super cool of you :cheers: As a dev you no doubt appreciate all too well the frustration of a cool idea turning out to just not be workable in the actual game, and needing to be scrapped. There's no shame in just scrapping e.g. Boomerang Spells and removing it from the pool. It is and will probably always be functionally a blank perk; no player will ever take it once they understand what it does. I believe you when you say it wasn't intended to function as a practical joke on new players and/or a straight-up perk pool diluter, but that's exactly how it functions (especially since the game doesn't tell you what a perk actually does until AFTER you take it).

Explosion resistance is a nice benefit, but in a balls-hard game where HP regen is extremely difficult to come by, Revenge Explosions is and will always be too dangerous to take unless I already have Explosion Immunity. So the bonus resistance does nothing in practice to tempt me to take RE.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just mod yourself to start with Edit Wands Everywhere, it changes the game in a very good way IMO.

My preferred setup for Easy Mode Noita is:

* Edit Wands Everywhere
* Faster Movement (default movement speed is just too loving slow)
* the Extra Perk perk
* HP regen at 1HP/sec up to 30% of max

Note that “easy” by Noita standards is still hard as hell, at least for me. But I have a lot more fun with those four adjustments.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can safely kill the white revenge-lasermachinegun guys by using homing+a trigger wand and attacking them around corners. Their murderlasers thankfully don't go through any but the softest materials. The troubles are having access to homing and being able to set it up without being swarmed by other mobs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

With the always cast reduce mana and the tiny cast delay, with a couple chainsaws/drills that would make a loving amazing machinegun wand.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe for good players, but for me ignoring them is inevitably going to result in a grisly murderlaser death from trying to attack something else and hitting the drat thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I feel like Polymorph Immunity would be a good perk

It's a mod, and I don't play without it. One-touch instakills are bullshit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Book it to the holy mountain portal ASAP, then if you have a decent amount of HP left do some exploring, always being sure to have a safe direct route back to the portal if you get in trouble.

e: How far you can get into the fungal caverns is usually dependent on how long it takes to run into one of the shielded flying assholes from hiisi base/vault that you almost certainly don't have the spells to deal with and will have to run like hell.

e2: Also a good idea to grab the tablet on the right side of the caves (first level) and take the time to learn how to throw it accurately. It instagibs pretty much everything in the early levels.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 11, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Toxic Sludge immunity does protect you from toxic rock and toxic ice.

But most definitely not from acid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fun fact, putting Sea of Acid on a projectile trigger and shooting it at mobs above you is a Bad Idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just had a run ended by misclicking on Freeze Field. gently caress that perk.