Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So the electric explosion is aptly named. I tested it out in the temple and ripped myself down to 34 health just before having to negotiate the jungle. Then I fatfingered it once I found an orb w/ collision trigger in the Vault and +1'd shortly after recovering from the stun because god drat are you flooded with enemies the moment you step in. I retriggered it point blank deliberately once I got low again and fountains of gold nuggets appeared while I sat stunned for a bit.

Then a little two-eyed hoppy thingy bounced out of one of the piles and owned me.

10/10 Would use again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I suspect you got lucky with the alchemy roulette but I've only consumed worm blood (do this!) without really seeing a lot of interaction elsewhere.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Loading up on all the projectile modifiers with a spark seems like a good plan. It's on fire, electric jolt on impact, acid pouring out from a trail and it squiggles for greater speeds! Time to jump down into the ice cavern and into this handy pool of water..

O-oh. :smith:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nearly, Crawl gets a portal that has a chaotic tentacle reach out of a couple turns later. Initially friendly to you, it'll writhe around and attack enemies but doesn't drag them back. Trying to use the portal yourself just randomly blinks you and you take a bit of damage. Eventually the portal closes and if the tentacle is still active it'll be severed and thrash randomly about, being a danger to everyone around.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

In true MORE BLOOD perk fashion, I stumbled on a necromancy modifier. So I threw it on a wand that fired a slow energy orb w/ timer -> tentacle w/ timer -> giant spitter bolt. I also had the homing perk, resulting in a will o' wisp "lure" that yanks their soul out if it connects, showering everything with blood. And then their mutilated remains start eerily hang around my person that also bleeds buckets whenever it gets touched in some sort of ungodly blood pact.

This worked out relatively well (didn't really work with mechanical things and they 'bled' oil that started fires everywhere) through the 4th layer. Until I stumbled on a sniper who picked up a super-wand of their own. Turns out when you yank out their soul, they still hold onto the wand. And they're certainly not happy to be undead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That just means throwing on as many nukes per cast as the wand can handle! Don't have to worry about the delay if nothing is left to threaten you!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Congratulations, you've discovered the Alkahest. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Agreed, having a water bottle around at all times is pretty handy with the ubiquity of sludge and fire.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sooooooooo.... note to self: Do not, under any circumstances, attach Personal Fireball modifier to any of the Mists. Nuked one of the big jetpackers with it in the Jungle and framerate slowed down to a crawl with the number of fireballs on-screen. I think it generates a set each tick and it sticks around for as long as the mist is active. I was frantically backing off, stray fireballs reflecting off my Personal Shield and eventually overwhelming it a number of times. I managed to drop behind a hill with a sliver of health and looked on in a mixture of horror and amazement as the environment continued to erode from the assault.

I did not survive. Neither did the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Noir89 posted:

Just entered the pyramid through the top by way of laser sword. Is it normal that the entire screen starts shaking angrily and when entering you encounter a giant green spiderblob with skulls and bones in it? Because that seriously freaked me out

The rumbles are fine, you picked up an "orb" which just does that AFAIK. Spiderblob is definitely normal for the pyramid.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There are also alternative paths to the sides in some environments that lead back to earlier places. Even as deep down as the Vaults.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe that "flavour" (heh) hasn't but the Touch line has been around for at least two updates.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, a number of times. Sometimes it seems to get triggered by those rat wizards hitting me with their teleport orb. My last time it just stopped on its own before I ran into any of them.

Lost an Eldritch run in the Hisii base because of stacked explosions. :argh: Spark w/ Trigger + Tentacle had electric + ice impact modifiers! Usually a one hit kill when it ripped through them! All gone because a box decided to go boom with a couple others in range.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Second lesson: do not, under any circumstances, just have your nuke wand right next to you while you're transferring a 19-shuffle dart wand into another 19-shuffle dart wand in the Vault. The assassin droid that you thought was locked behind a wall of ice from your water-murder shotgun is still quite capable of bumbling through. Frantically trying to shoot them with said shotgun was a good idea but you still have to slow down, otherwise ice gets formed and you can't keep them locked down with Freeze Impact.

Third lesson: Surviving the (second) blast of that level is not a sign to relax in your aura of invincibility. Wreckage has a tendency to appear at the worst possible moment to show you otherwise.

(The first blast was me setting up the wand in the Temple prior and forgetting to not have it equipped while moving things around)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Something like this, though the cast/recharge was already something like .2/.3

And heck, here are the rest of the wands. Second kind of sucked (needed more death crosses, better trigger spell), third was too volatile (though the tentacle version was hilariously apt to make a slideshow of the game), fourth knocked me flying.

And then it crashed after I completed the game and didn't give me the win! :argh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I just chaotic polymorphine myself after the perk pick.

Mind you I've never actually come back from those Holy Mountain areas that I "skipped" but I still keep an eye out for those flasks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Otto Octopus posted:

Lessons I've learned: be careful with boomerang shots and chained spells.

This one is has perfect comedic timing, it's glorious. :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Made it to the end without it crashing. Damage Field + Whiskey Cloud carried me, especially once I got it on a chassis that could spit out 4 or 5 in a second. Everything else paled in comparison, even wands with built-in Giant Fireball or Electric Touch.

Then I slapped on Fireballs on Touch + Acid Trail and melted the boss in 5 seconds because DoT on a tick basis is sick nasty

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Armadillo Tank posted:

I've seen them attack the player! So maybe dress up hissi as you and maybe they'll do something.

I think they run on the same logic as charmed enemies. If you inadvertently hit them enough times they'll turn on you, even if they still have the floaty hearts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Their fault, though. Digging without a permit? They struck a live one!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Always raid the fungal caverns for early good wands and effects. I've never been disappointed in them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Today on Cooking With Wands, here's a handy recipe to instantly cook anything to 1000 degrees. It's a weird configuration, requiring the triple cast effect at the end to make it machine gun.

NOTE: Does not work on cast-iron ovens! Fungal Caves' robot did me in

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Also electricity rips them to shreds pretty nicely.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rip them out, you only need one to cause chaos.

"Do a kickflip"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Where did the chaotic polymorphine come from?!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shotgun and pretty much anything that ends in shotgun is just the most practical and consistent spell effect you can get. I know I'm pretty much set once I've got one for most of the game.

Also, I just learned something incredible. Dunking a dropped wand in pheromone makes it rise up and move around on its own! You can't hit it either so no worries of it turning on you, just maybe friendly fire.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I don't know, it lifted off and I shot at it a couple times to make sure it wasn't an enemy, then as it drifted off-screen it fired a couple times. I went off in the opposite direction to FUN-gus and got shot up by two or three machine gun mechs stacked on top of each other.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Despite what I said earlier I am again tempted to try that same seed again since it had some real good wands and spells in it. Also I feel like it's more rewarding being a bad Noita since that way you can always see something new you get a good run going. For example, I still have no idea how to navigate the dark area left to the starting zone or the big tree above it.

For the first, you can either down some worm blood, which will let you see further and temporarily dispels the dark. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a torch/electric torch that will also light things up. For the second, you just navigate it the same way you get on top of the mountain at the start. You can break through the tree but it's easier to go over.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Giga Blade is everything I've dreamed in a very much OSHA-OUT spell. It revs up and comes flying in the opposite direction! :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

What's important is the damaging energy field deals damage every tick. So even if it's throwing up a bunch of 1s, 2s, or 3s, that stacks up really quickly when its 30 times a second.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Summon Giga Disc is my new favorite spell. I'm pretty sure the way it works is that it goes forward until it bounces / runs out of velocity, then it starts homing in on the closest valid target, and it isn't picky about whether that target is you. I've seen it take some pretty funky paths.

I think it just reverses course along one of the last vectors it had shortly before hitting zero velocity. Relatively straight paths are obviously going to 'boomerang' back to you; the funky paths are from gravity taking affect.

But yeah, I will gladly use these whenever I run across them, danger or no danger.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's a new enemy that looks similar to the heal buddy except they are blue. They spray everybody with shielding energies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's another blue boy in the fungal caverns. Very confusing I know.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So uh, if you try the Pheromone + dropped wand trick to fix the effects of dropping to 1 HP from an inadvertent Earthquake + Saving Grace in the Holy Mountain while transferring things around because you had a handy Healing Shot available, it does not quite work out. I kicked it once, which managed to trigger the wand once before dropping into debris. Digging it out and trying it again made it throw out a couple Spitter Bolts (! which was not a spell effect in the wand !) and killed me.

The funny part is that due to Explosion Resistance I survived one enemy attempt at hexa-nuking me in the Jungle and another inadvertent release in the Vaults pretty much unscathed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Now that's efficiency, a single slice cut you into four pieces!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Just lol then if a wand generates multi-cast and it's an explosive plus another spell with collision because that's an immediate suicide.

Enjoying a healing massage and a cleansing snow immersion after a long, hard day's work.
(Then it crashed shortly after I crossed the threshold into the Pyramid proper and lost it all. I was going to tunnel back up!)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Giving us one additional slot would change that because my normal loadout is
- Spam kill wand
- More thoughtful kill HARDER wand
- Dig wand (optional)
- Empty Slot

The current one extra wand (or two if you're lucky and the composition is perfect to replace a constructed wand) per level is not a great turnover. Especially in the later ones where it's nearly suicide to fire whatever the RNG generated as-is.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 7, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They do it from time to time but it's rare if you're fighting them normally. It's like how all mobile wands have the unremarked upon ability to shoot out spitter balls when you're really close. Or some of the machines have different attacks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Though I have to question the biology here -- they clearly have paper nests and lack the stripes normally associated with bees, but I often find honey on the ground near their nests? Which, annoyingly, I cannot eat. :(

Actually, if you press down while standing on top of it your wizard will start stuffing themselves one pixel at a time. You can do this with a lot of things too! In this case I think it's more for flavour than actually affecting the environment; it does not appear to diminish anything solid and most of the time your wizard is not affected by it afterward.

The damage reflector ghosts are real simple to defeat: don't shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's also a mini-boss, though the real one will have a health bar!

(chaotic polymorphine is a god drat high)