Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my lesson learned for today is that 'boomerang spells' does exactly what you'd think it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I still think some sort of meta progression would help.

Maybe let you chuck spells into a hole and if you chuck in enough of the same type it unlocks it for a: guaranteed purchase at any shop, and b: available to start with, also giving you a small budget to pick your starting gear from.

yeah this is like dead cells, right? let me throw currency at things in the Holy Mountain where I sacrifice money on my current run to allow a little more flexibility or guarantees in the future

I feel like the biggest problem i run into is getting bad rng with spells/wands where i can't keep up with the difficulty spike at level 3 because my damage just hasn't scaled fast enough.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Victory Position posted:

there's a modifier that you can add to your projectiles that allows them to freeze whatever they come into contact with

that being said, I have no idea whether it is a new modifier or not, but it sure is extremely handy as you can freeze enemies and lava with relative ease

i just got this and it's maybe too good, since you can chain freeze mobs to death, it negates annoying environmental hazards (the firefly things don't spew lava, acid things don't spew acid when they die frozen, etc), and the mana cost is low enough nearly any wand can afford it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

Same. The first two levels are mostly lame, but you pretty much have to painstakingly scour them for hp+, gold, AND a good wand to have fun with and survive going forward because you can't necessarily count on the shop to have anything useful.

so far I really like the feeling this game has where mostly you can understand the mistakes you made and it's not pure randomness that kills you.

but the combination of the slow start plus some absolute randomness, is very frustrating right now. i was better kitted out than i've been in a while after level two, only to have a giant worm fly straight up through the new crystal that's supposed to repel them, angering the gods, and spawning the protector lich right on top of me. that kind of randomness sucks especially when getting a good start can take so long without some luck.

at least they're working on fixing this problem -- it's just the crystal room thing apparently either doesn't work or doesn't account for worms just having a lot of built up velocity so they can't turn to avoid it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how setting up the effects on wands, uhhhhhhhh, works? I thought I was starting to get it, but then I go and configure a wand with a few things and it 100% doesn't do what I expect, and I'm kinda baffled. Like I've got a spell that triggers another spell after a timer, and then another of that, and then a splitter that casts two spells, and a couple more of the timers, and in some configurations it makes sense, but in others, it seems like it just stops after the first spell?

Sincerely,
Confounded Under Mines

it would be great if eventually the UI gets updated to reflect what the output of a wand will actually be, rather than forcing us to mess around with ordering modifiers and effects and spells and then casting it and hoping it works like we think it does.

they could probably do this cleverly with some kind of highlighting or shading scheme to show which spells which effects apply to or something along those lines

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

been playing around with the mod that gives you a choice of one of three random perks (exactly like the holy mountain) at the start of the game, and it's Good

like, just a little more variety makes the beginning a lot less repetitive

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

Where's the best place for Noita bug reports?

the discord is pretty active and probably the best place to post them, there's a channel there for that purpose

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Armadillo Tank posted:

Yeah what the gently caress. Why can't I pet ducks/deer/jet pack goblins or have a wand with an animal pets spell?

you can get a Decoy Deer wand tho

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I've had a mimic spawn in a completely regular hallway in the mushroom cave biome, so I don't think that's a hard rule, they're just more likely to appear in that particular setpiece.

yeah they're rare but i've seen them without the obvious 'unnatural floating' thing that warns you there

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BBJoey posted:

On the other hand, freeze field and electricity are trap perks with negligible upsides that will kill you.

i've had some good luck with freeze field, which nullifies some environmental hassles in very convenient ways. biggest problem, for me, is the whole "freezes particles in mid-air which do not fall" part can seriously reduce your mobility

that's nothing compared to how bad electricity is when it comes to exploding everything that can be exploded anywhere near you and also constantly starting fires everywhere

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I want a spell that is just you growing eight of those spider legs and stabbing fools with them.

same except

(1) more tentacles
(2) drag yourself around with them doc ock style

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i like the lava bees, they're not hard per se but they force interesting environmental interactions and force you to move in ways you don't want to. they're a fun hazard unlike, say, getting sniped from offscreen, which isn't really that dangerous or interesting, just an annoyance that slows you down

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I learned that if you slot decoy deer onto a fast chainsaw wand, it can create an interaction where the deer blows up the second it spawns and the body is launched forward at incredible speeds

unfortunately the corpse is not a physics object that can damage enemies, and i hope this bug is fixed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of glass cannon, this is your irregular reminder that if you have it, be very careful with using bombs to dig.

glass cannon (without explosion immunity) is like an elaborate test of how much you can remember to not use anything more explosive than a magic missile and i always fail

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hm...water mage start? Breathless + Fast Swimmer perks, start with a bouncy ball with water trail and a raincloud.

having a build whose whole goal was to convert everything to water biomes would be a lot of fun!

do most of the enemies in the game drown right now? i've never actually tried it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It's of very limited use and does basically nothing that I am aware of except in the cases of Vampire perk + blood.

:colbert: sometimes a witch just needs to drink tens of gallons of worm blood

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I used it to drain the tree once so I could get up in it without drowning.

eke out posted:

:colbert: sometimes a witch just needs to drink tens of gallons of worm blood thousands of gallons of water

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like at that point you start having to dig through each holy mountain so you can backtrack to spell caches you've set up previously.

I do feel like once you get a handle on basic gameplay, the "completionist" run is problematic. Having to run all over the game world and especially getting back outside once you've gone through the first mountain is very slow and reliant on getting black hole wands; as far as I can tell nothing else can realistically dig up through temple brick, and once you're in the Hisili Base that's your only option for backtracking.

i watched a video of someone doing The Tower the other day and it seems like that's what they're working towards.

because you can go from the final boss, to the tower, then climb out through basically a gauntlet until you get to the portal that takes you back to the top of the mountain.

doesn't completely address the issue, but definitely gives you another major no-black-hole-needed route back up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feature request: lightning witch starts with water flask

fire witch: endless flood of oil i stand in the middle of as everything burns but me
lightning witch: everything explodes around me and constant catches fire; i have no way of putting it out if i get bad rng; all my spells can kill me

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 14, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, this is a weird one. Fire witch starts with two fire flasks which can be used for removing stains (pour out fire, stand in fire, stains gradually dry up). I still often end up emptying one out to fill with water so I can clear toxic waste pools, but the flasks are at least useful. Lightning witch starts with a thunderstone that is basically useless. You can throw it at enemies to kill them, but its electrocution properties are of debatable value; it's pretty rare that I want to be able to electrify a pool from a distance and can't just, like, shoot it with a lightning bolt. And meanwhile you have zero ability to clear stains beyond getting lucky with convenient pools / finding an early flask.

come to think of it, an alternative would be to just give Lightning Witch explosion immunity.

you'd still have to be careful, but wouldn't accidentally instagib yourself - and this would be an analogous advantage to what Fire Witch has, where fire immunity means they can't kill themselves out of sheer stupidity, but they still have to be careful about explosions.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah y'all are right. tbh just switching Electricity for Electricity Immunity would be enough to fix the balance problems. or toning down the radius on electricity's damage. it's just a bad perk right now

i suppose the tradeoff is that starting with Lightning is huge, and that spell can carry you to the endgame, it's just not worth the annoyance as it stands.

Explosion Immunity is very useful to lightning witch, no question. You can use the static lightning explosion spell directly on a wand (with no triggers) and it really has a shockingly huge range, so you can just wander around blowing yourself and your enemies up repeatedly. But I think that's solving the wrong problem. Lightning Witch is a high risk / high reward class, with lots of power but high chance of killing yourself, and that's fine. What's not great is that the class has no way to deal with stains until you find a flask and replace its contents with water. The class should get a flask of water for the same reason the unmodded base class starts with one: it's basic equipment that makes the stain system not completely maddening to interact with.

(Lightning Witch has the Electricity perk, which provides Electrical Immunity automatically)

simple solution: lightning flasks that i can use to remove stains from myself

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

It is difficult to overstate how utterly maddening it is to play as a class that starts with no ability to interact with their environment beyond physics objects, which cannot explode crates/barrels or set fires.

That is the only loving wand I can reach on the level, and I can't pick it up.

you can pick it up in the frame or two between when you turn back into yourself and when you get polymorphed again, just mash quickly. not exactly optimal but i've done it before

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bloom posted:

Plague rats and a pool of chaotic polymorphine sure is something

https://i.imgur.com/7EoaDrY.mp4

oh my god i didn't even think about this, i want to do it on purpose

plague rats is so great

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the risk/reward of fungal caves is extremely good and fun, it's always exciting to try to venture in far enough to grab what you can while trying to avoid the extreme danger

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they could just pull a Dead Cells and incentivize running through the levels fast, rather than exploring for every last heart pickup, with time-gated bonuses in the Holy Mountains

guarantee a free random wand of a competitive level or something

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh my god, this is the most amazing thing. Lukki Perk Spiderwalk mod: https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=26010#description

I will never use another perk ever again.

this is really, really fun to play with.

i'm sure it's a touch op (it seems like movespeed is too fast sometimes) but it's legit cool to alter your strategies knowing you can hang anywhere but can't operate at all in big open spaces, since you can't actually jetpack anymore and must be within a certain range of a wall

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Next time you roll a fire mage, try to play the first level mostly by sprinkling your fire flasks on enemies; you should see the change in behavior. They'll mostly just run back and forth, or if they can fly, fly towards the closest body of liquid.

speaking of, i learned today that fire mage has incredible synergy with invis, because you can effortlessly burn away whatever stains you pick up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh poo poo just learned there's now a Butcher Magician starting path, awesome

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Summon Giga Disc is my new favorite spell. I'm pretty sure the way it works is that it goes forward until it bounces / runs out of velocity, then it starts homing in on the closest valid target, and it isn't picky about whether that target is you. I've seen it take some pretty funky paths.

oh is that how it works? I've only got it once and, at the time, i assumed it basically rebounded back in a line from wherever it was shot (rather than homing on you)

i didn't try it out more than a couple times because all my noita instincts screamed "you will inevitably kill yourself with this"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

am I the only one having like, a lot of crashes?

maybe it's because I'm on the beta branch but it's gotten more unstable for me

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 4, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Yeah idk what that dude was talking about, healing outside of holy mountains is incredibly hard to come by.

Though am I crazy or do Hisii support units shoot at you by default now? Seems kind of broken.

it does seem like some patch broke them - you used to have to kick them and slowly deplete their health (or have berserkium) but now they just follow me around and heal me so long as i kill any other enemies

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

But not all of them. I recently drank a bottle of fire and it actually gave me damaging heartburn until I drank some water to balance it out. :v:

it seems like drinking from environmental sources doesn't have the same damage effect as drinking potions?

they should make it so if you're ____ blooded, said thing doesn't harm you

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dizz posted:

One thing I wish the Holy Mountain did was keep giving you health/spell refreshes until you leave. Experimenting is limited when you're using spells with limited numbers, and getting damaged by anything stays until you get to the next safe spot.

i think it would be a reasonable balance change to turn off friendly fire while in the holy mountain. or allow unlimited health refreshes, though that might not solve the "what does this spell do? oh i just died instantly" issue

while it can be very funny to accidentally kill yourself, it's probably also causing some people to bounce off the game when a not-explained-at-all wand system with totally useless UI ruins their progress. there are plenty of other sources of "be careful with what wand you choose to shoot" lessons in this game without also having them in the only area you can freely edit

i don't think this is by any means a huge problem, but it seems like tweaking the holy mountain would be dead simple in terms of how much work is involved and could remove some frustration

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Today I learned that the Electrified perk isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

https://i.imgur.com/sW1QleQ.mp4

yeah electrified is definitely way more flaw than perk lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, I always figured the health refill is for after climbing The Tower.

or if level 3 goes poorly/you feel undergeared and you didn't get a chance to explore the fungal caverns, climbing up and grabbing that orb can be a good backup

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do not like the look of that cluster of baby spiders one bit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jaete posted:

Explored a bit more but was taking too much damage from everything as always, so took the exit portal. Had a second nuke left, tried to kill Skeleton Steve with it... unsuccessful. :catstare: Not sure how he survived but welp. Other wands not good enough to kill him. :noita:

probably the single blast just neutralized his shield

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TeaJay posted:

A big benefit of Edit wands anywhere mod is to be able to switch the spells on the two starting wands around and be somewhat equipped for the first two levels even if you don't find any good wands there.

I just like it because you can take that one good spell you find and don't have to keep hauling the crappy wand all the way to the next temple when space is limited. Generally if you start to experiment with wand-building out in the zones some enemy will invariably come and blast you while you have inventory open, so I still tend to do that in the temples anyway.

yeah I agree - it obviously makes the game easier, but the game is extremely hard and many people run into a huge wall when getting started and aren't able to get far enough to develop good instincts about what kind of wands work/what to look for/how to deal with mobs at ice cave and beyond.

EWE helps solve that problem by taking away one big obstacle to getting good wands, while leaving everything else the same. it may not be the Intended Experience or whatever but who gives a poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

trip report: i've never seen this modifier or the piercing one before and they're a ton of fun with concentrated light and explosion immunity

e: (ignore that errant energy orb at the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

any True Noita takes glass cannon every time it comes up, with the understanding that you will most likely die gloriously as a result