Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like this game would be much improved if you could pay extra cash at the end of the floor to access any of the spells you've already found.

So, like, if you find a spell that would be good on a trigger, you can pay double or triple perhaps to get a copy of spark bolt with trigger.

Cos as it stands whether you get a good combo is absurdly random and the game could do with some kind of meta progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

fire trails (or any trails baring harmless stuff, really) aren't worth it because the damage over time is extremely small for that, so you'll only hurt yourself.

unless it's something hilarious like gunpowder or something

Water trail is very useful just because being able to flood the place with water is super useful.

Burning trail also lets you set people on fire and it counts as non wand damage so it's good for farming up currency early on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think some sort of meta progression would help.

Maybe let you chuck spells into a hole and if you chuck in enough of the same type it unlocks it for a: guaranteed purchase at any shop, and b: available to start with, also giving you a small budget to pick your starting gear from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

eke out posted:

yeah this is like dead cells, right? let me throw currency at things in the Holy Mountain where I sacrifice money on my current run to allow a little more flexibility or guarantees in the future

I feel like the biggest problem i run into is getting bad rng with spells/wands where i can't keep up with the difficulty spike at level 3 because my damage just hasn't scaled fast enough.

Yeah I like the randomness giving you variety, but I also find after a while I do want a bit more consistency with my runs, and letting you sacrifice stuff from a run for longer term unlocks lets you a: achieve progression even if you know you can't make this run really work, and b: fits with the overall theme of building knowledge of the world over time.

Given the key is interaction between mechanics, there's plenty of room for unlocking part of a combination but still having some variety in what it actually ends up manifesting as. Especially if you add some kind of restriction to the unlocks, letting you only pick one per floor, or rapidly escalating costs to pick more than one, encouraging you to work with the random options most of the time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 7, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just dive into a big ol pile of meat with a chainsaw.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Is this not what it means when it says I have unlocked the secrets of lightning or something?

When it what what? I've never seen that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

Those are your past incarnations (called bones due to how nethack considered them)

I found the best way is to main another wand and only use the nuke when you know you are probably, but most likely will die.

One thing I'm noticing is people being introduced to nethack/dungeon crawl(stone soup) concepts that have never played those type of games are having the worst times with this game lol.

Consider it this way. There was a strategy in nethack where you would make really good corpses so you would get the best items without having to do the work/luck to find one.

If you were able to kill that dude; free nuke!

Monsters can actually just pick up wands lying around in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chainsaw + melee immunity is a fun combo too :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New beta adds +10 max life to the between level life refill pickups, and also a weird inaccessible room with a crystal in it under the spell shop that I don't know what it does, also might have changed the anger the gods mechanic somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if it's a new patch thing but you can mix fluids in flasks now too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Game properties in steam > betas > pick the beta branch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish there was, like, a guaranteed number of life/wand pickups on each main level. Just so you don't spend so much time exploring for nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might also love to hate limbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J34Q6wWzIiE

CW: Spiders, obv.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Why does that guy's projectile do so much damage? It almost feels like it is a mistake, it's so out of proportion with everything else.

Electricity is generally extremely lethal, if you ever get a lightning wand it's great because you feel like you need to hold the thing at arm's length and look away before firing it, and while it deletes basically everything in one shot, it's also got a fair chance of detonating near you and killing you, or hitting a liquid or metal that conducts back to you and killing you, or holding it underwater too long and it killing you.

So it might be thematic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah the recoilless chainsaw.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like a cloak shaped film of blood with spider legs would be more offputting, personally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really think I would enjoy this game better if there wasn't so much random bullshit that kills you out of nowhere.

So much of the game seems to be based around either that happening or you forgetting to juggle some plate and then that killing you instead.

And then you have to crawl back through the early game with all the boring poo poo again.

It feels like trying to play a game that just crashes constantly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've played it for apparently 30 hours and I have spent about 90% of that shooting basic enemies with spark bolt or something equally underpowered.

It's just extremely repetitive. Every time I get to a part that isn't the same poo poo something stupid happens and I die, and then I have to grind for another god knows how long until I can get back to where I was.

And I think the fact that the game is so lethal and encourages such a slow approach to everything as a result, as well as heavily encouraging maximising your exploration of each level to find as many health pickups as possible (as well as that also being linked to how you actually access the content of the game in terms of spells and areas) is very much at odds with the fact that you have to play the whole thing over again every time you die.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

I think it's easy to get bogged down trying to "finish" each zone before moving on and that's not really necessary most of the time. Probably one of the most important early game tips is to remember to use terrain for cover and environmental things to help you deal more damage when your wand is still a bit underpowered, such as using water on fire enemies, using typical rogue-like doorway/corridor/pinch point tactics to control where you can be attacked from, ducking into cover to avoid being hit, kicking and throwing items for physics damage which is much higher than wand damage at early levels. I go through the mines usually with a couple of goals in mind before I move on - get "enough" gold, I'd say 400 is plenty to start with, find a fast wand (the yellow or green shuffle wands are fine for this and there's a rarer red one now too), find an improved no-shuffle wand as an upgrade to the starter blue wand, grab the tablet. If I get anything better than that it's a bonus but if my health hits 25 I'll head to the exit regardless of how many goals I've hit. Loading up a fast wand with cheap spells can spam out a ton of damage, or alternatively a slow but steady stream of heavier hitting spells such as energy sphere or magic arrow are fine too. Even if you don't find a good fast wand you can get a bit of mileage out of spark bolt on the starter red wand.

Going into the second level I like having one main shooter, and either a method to dig or a method to bomb areas for gold collection. Optimally a teleport or a trigger+return is a good thing to have here as a third wand as it means you can enter and leave the holy mountain and edit your wands even if you don't have the perk. I like leaving the second level with at least 1000 gold or at least a couple of wand upgrades. Once I've got that much gold I am fine with tossing the digger/bomb wand for a better wand if I find one so it's possible to leave with 3 wand/spell upgrades. If the main part of the coal pits doesn't have decent wands, going left to the fungal caverns should find a significant wand upgrade, both in number of slots and amount of mana. There are usually good potions like ambrosia or invisibility around too. If you can go back and edit wands to make something even better it's worth doing so here. These two first levels are critical to surviving the third level since the difficulty really jumps. If you're really underpowered it is possible to sneak around while invisible and throw tablets for stealth kills, as long as you don't get stained by anything else. Again going back and updating your wands if you can is very important, and just racing to the bottom of the ice level and hoping for something decent in the third shop is fine too.

OwlFancier I don't want to tell you you're playing the game wrong but if you aren't enjoying it maybe something like the mod that makes the heart upgrades heal your health, or the mod that makes enemies sometimes drop health power ups might make this more survivable and enjoyable for you (assuming either work with 1.0). I'm honestly garbage at action type games and still find myself doing okay at this one - there's a lot more going on than just the journey from top to bottom and I really want you to see more of the game and get the same fun out of it that I do.

Edit to add: throwing the tablet is REALLY good damage and a skill worth improving. I've seen someone finish the early access version of the game purely on tablet throws and kicks. God tier wands are not necessary.

I will try some mods, maybe, when they are compatible. I did do all the stuff with the environmental kills and stuff initially, but after dying so many times I just... don't have the patience any more, I just want to find some new spells and play with them and I don't have the patience any more to slowly find ways to kill things creatively when I know I'm just going to die from something before it achieves anything. I've been fighting the same crap with the same crap in the same place for 30 hours and I just want it over with.

I would probably enjoy it more if it just... wasn't a roguelike. I don't really understand why it is because everything else about it seems to encourage slow, plodding play, which I don't necessarily mind, I like playing dark souls like that, I play most games very slowly just because I like looking around, but Noita simultaneously requires it for you to get a competitive health pool and wands, but also punishes you for it because when you die you have to do it all again. It's just a very confused and conflicting design, I think.

I think it would make a much better metroidvania, with you trying to find different capabilities from spells across the map to unlock access to new areas.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never reliably managed to get much use out of that because I struggle to get through the ice level at the best of times.

I downloaded the edit wands anywhere and the health pickup dropper thing, and edited it to make the health drops give you an extra hitpoint each time you collect one so hopefully that will allow more chance to play with wands and give an actual incentive to explore levels.

I also started a game and it's raining, which seems like it would cause problems in the long run.

Also why do the collapsed mines have someone taking a difficult poo poo on the soundtrack?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 24, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I added some mods and I think I am enjoying the game a bit more now.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2182627060

Edit wands everywhere, because that's the point of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006631283

Health drops, configured at 10% rate, 10hp, 1 max HP per drop, which extends survivability and also kinda works like an XP system in that every drop you pick up increases your max health by 1, so there's another reason to fight things.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2263080245

Noitavania, which makes the map a lot more interconnected and (apparently) adds some new biomes, so you can cross between areas more and just generally makes exploration more interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scratch that, still too much stupid poo poo where the interface kills you. Why do I have to use the loving number keys to avoid electrocuting myself? Is the game experience enhanced by making the mouse wheel loving unusable if you have certain items?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Does this actually add any ‘vania-style adventure/progress elements or is it just an improved map?

No, it seems to just add alternate passages through/between areas, and a couple of new areas. Some of them are rather roughly integrated though and I noticed a bit of disjointedness around some of the transitions, though the game sometimes is like that anyway, up to you how much it bothers you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's simple but it works.

gently caress offffff

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the shotgun spell and I found a 2 slot wand with 500 regen and stuck a single shotgun and a recharge reducer on it. Also I have vampirism so I appreciate all the blood.

Also what do the weird stone hands in the ice level do? I kick them and they spawn dudes, each one I find spawns more dudes, I've kicked three and the third spawned 3 dudes and also I got a "broken spell" out of it which is a throwable item and I'm not sure what it does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drowning the enemy in so much blood and viscera that they die from electricity is one way to do it I suppose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks a bit like personal fireball thrower but I don't know if that has to hit an entity for it to work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The shotgun spell is very versatile because it chains very well, also it doesn't hurt you, also it can dig through most terrain in a pinch, so it makes a very good spam spell. Or you can multi cast it and make it into a boomstick. Also playing with spread modifiers works too.

Very good spell to modify, and has a good trajectory too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know what my CPU doesn't like?

Really doesn't like?

Trying to drain the Lake by transmuting it to whiskey and setting it on fire.

What happens if you throw a hot rock in there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would personally suggest acid would benefit from a fuming effect like some of the potions have because I also cannot see the colour difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I think either acid or toxic sludge (or both) have a particle effect already, but making it more intense could indeed be a good idea. Thanks!

If they do I can't say I've noticed it. Acid emits gas as it dissolves things and toxic spells emit green sometimes but I have not seen either emit it in pools, I have to check every fluid manually.