Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Low effort post, apologies. September 24th, 2019 was the day that Noita was released as a playable Early Access game. And version 1.0 released on October 15th, 2020.

For those who have never heard of it: "Noita is a magical action roguelite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've created yourself."

"Your own magic: Create new spells as you delve deeper into the caverns. Use your magic to crush your enemies and manipulate the world around you."

Made by Nolla Games, which includes the goon Hempuli (maker of Baba Is You), as well as Olli Harjola (maker of Swapper) and Petri Purho (maker of Crayon Physics).

Streamers I have watched play the preview build have all agreed: The game is awesome.
Between Noita and Disco Elysium which released October 15th, 2019, (thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899418 ) this will be a great time to play indie games.

For videos of the gameplay and physics madness, see the store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

Official website:
https://noitagame.com/

IronicDongz posted:

fun thing about noita:
berserk potions double damage
bomb radius is affected by damage

ergo,
https://i.imgur.com/D3ocyK5.mp4

Tenebrais posted:

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

Awards:
Finalist - Seumas McNally Grand Prize - Independent Games Festival 2019

Finalist - Excellence in Design - Independent Games Festival 2019

Finalist - Nuovo Award - Independent Games Festival 2019

The Audience Choice Award - Fantastic Arcade 2018

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I hope that Hempuli will show up sometime to answer questions that I don't know the answers to yet.

From the noitagame website:

"Action roguelite: Death is permanent and always a looming threat. When you die, don’t despair, use what you’ve learned to get further on your next adventure."

" Procedurally generated world: Explore a unique world every time you play. Discover new environments as you adventure deeper."

I know there are Temples that act like shops between environment levels. In the temples you can craft spell combos into your wands and buy new goodies.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Noita is now released upon the world. Go get it and bring back reports of your shenanigans.

It shows up as 16,99€ for me on Steam. A bargain for such a game.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
From their Steam page:

Why Early Access?
“TLDR: Right now Noita is already really fun to play and has dozens of hours of content. Early Access allows us to get important feedback to make the game even better.

Noita is a physics-based rogue-lite, and rogue-lite games generally benefit from additional content updates. The game is also being made with a custom engine (Falling Everything Engine), and even though the game is fairly stable we haven't been able to test every permutation due to the highly emergent nature of the game. For the same reason we're really excited to see how the players will exploit the game systems.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We're currently estimating that the game would be in Early Access for about a year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version will be more polished and have more content. Essentially the full version will be a more refined version; there shouldn't be any drastic changes or fundamental differences. For example, the full version might have a larger variety of enemies/items/areas.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The game is playable and is polished to a nearly-finished state up to a certain point in the game's progression. Past that point game elements are a bit less polished. A functional final boss and ending exists, but they lack polish and testing.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Our plan is to release the Early Access version with a lower price, and we'll probably raise the price as we approach the full release.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We're looking for feedback from players so that we can fix bugs, design issues and so on. We're interested in seeing how the gameplay experience changes as players get better at the game, and adjust the game to our best capability so that the experience stays interesting for both new and more experienced players.”

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Johnny Joestar posted:

as far as areas and whatever go how does it seem to compare to the streamer build that was out over the past week? i know that was cut back so as to not show everything.

Don't quote me on this but I heard that the stream build was 4 environments, the early access build should be 20? Possibly not all content is polished in later levels? I could be wrong, I am reporting hearsay.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There are other ways to dig.

Someone combined dousing in berserkium juice with a chainsaw wand. Interesting.:science:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Congratulations for your (cheesy) victory EvilMike! How many levels down were you? Some areas might be missed if you race down, but I don't know the total number of biomes in the early access build. All I have is rumors.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There are ways to deal with the worm. Explore Secrets

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There is an egg where the worm hatches. You can find it before it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Hempuli posted:

(Points made in the thread duly noted!)

Hey Hempuli! :glomp: Awesome game. With Baba Is You and Noita, you're on a pretty solid streak. What other stuff are you working on?