Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Game is so good even at this stage of development.

Being able to build your own spells is huge, although I wish the wand modifiers were more diverse and occurred more often.

I had a slime wand that shot 6 slime bolts, firing two at a time, but also had a wand modifier that always had water lines for each bolt. I could flood basically any level with ease. The water was the entire width of the bolt, which was basically the same size as my character.

Also got a wand with those blue floating squares that had fire trails and multi-shot on it. I paired that with an extra damage to environment mod and a tracking perk for some serious damage. Although if I was moving in the direction I was firing I would set myself on fire.

Once this game is fully fleshed out and polished there are going to be some amazing wand builds from people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
There must be some new wands in the loot pool, or they adjusted the range of values for existing wands. I found one with over 1000 mana on it. But then died before I could use it, of course.

Also, has anyone else started a map with fog all over the place?

This wand was a lot of fun. It always cast water trail, and would easily flood any area I started using it in within 5 seconds.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
So apparently there are fake chests. I went to pick this one up and turns out it's a monster disguised as a chest. It opens its mouth when you move over it and bites you.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I think what I want out of the game right now is a test mode which gives you wands and all the spells that you can play around with.

Right now it is difficult to know what the best combinations are and for what situations and enemies without testing. But because it's run based and so random with loot, it's difficult to do this.

Beyond that I think I'm addicted to this game. Exploring and testing out combinations of weapons is a real blast.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I found that the static area effect spells wouldn't explode at distance using trigger spells, but using the tentacle spell it would trigger at the end of the tentacle extension. Maybe I was just doing it wrong?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
So I went digging just now and found this on the far right side of the map in a cave with ??? as the name.

It auto fires every 1 or 2 seconds and never stops. It also blew me up about 5 seconds after the screenshot was taken.

Better shot of it in action.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cardiovorax posted:

I feel very pleased that the devs are clearly listening to the wishes of the players. Those legs are everything I wanted and more. :allears:

They don't seem to do anything, at least they weren't attacking anything when I was close to enemies.They do look really cool though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Noir89 posted:

Every time, I tell myself: "No, don't do this, you know it is a bad idea". But it hovers there in the shop, hauntingly. It talks to your soul, maybe this time it will work out? Think of the power!

10 minutes later I am dead after having melted half the world and angered every god that exists, existed or will exist, myself a pool of acid goo after one to many bouncy ball miscalculations :v:

The best is a wand that has always cast acid trails. I can't say no to something like that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Best the boss with a fire mage and invisibility. I had to sneak through the last level before the boss because I didn't have the wand for those fights up close. But the boss wasn't bad. I also had a perk that pushed most projectiles away from me, so the boss attacks all went around me, which make things much easier.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I found a wand with the double spark bolt trigger. It had like 8 bolts on the wand and extra knockback. Those things absolutely destroy the environment. I was wiping out over 1/3 of the ground on screen with one mouse click.

Also I was able to kill the guardian multiple times with acid trails and the green bouncy balls. Also ended up melting the entire floor of each holy mountain.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
The most powerful wand I've ever found was one that had multiple explosions on enemy hit. The skull with the 6 or so blast lines coming out of it.

I could just use the base purple bolt and hit any enemy once, and they would keep being hit by explosions until they died, just from one hit.

Some enemies in the jungle would take 20 seconds to die with explosions going off on them that entire time from just one hit.

It was pretty amazing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
So apparently luminous drill plus a wand with the extend time for projectiles results in blades of light being thrown across the screen!

They cut through all terrain like butter, and can kill stuff across the screen through any ground.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

explosivo posted:

Yeah I can see the aforementioned gold doesn't despawn mod at the very least allowing me to take my time and not rush into an unknown situation to try and grab all the gold chunks before they disappear being super helpful while not feeling too cheaty.

At some point I end up with a weapon that can dig and I can always go back and dig out the gold in the mines. I usually never have issues with gold when I need it.

There is an orb that will dig out the ground and won't destroy the gold which I almost always grab if/when I find a wand with it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cardiovorax posted:

There is a way to mod in bigger spell inventories, if nothing else. There's even a mod that does so, tied to a perk. Miscellaneous Perks, I think is what it was called?

Finding different clothing with perks on them, like larger inventory would be cool as well.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Snake Maze posted:

I want to do this someday just to see how badly it messes up the ice caverns.

(Although sadly I suspect the offscreen physics limits would start hindering you there)

I did this, at least the top part of it using the orb that eats through everything.

Since the world generation only runs simulation on a certain number of squares around you I think it does odd things.

I went back down and couldn't find lava until I hit the warp points, the first couple were filled with lava.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
They need a remove all spells from wand button.

Also an add on double click to selected wand for spells in your bar.

Also remove all spells from wand for wands you find but don't want to equip to get the spells from. Also the ability to drag them off said wands.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Sage Grimm posted:

Shotgun and pretty much anything that ends in shotgun is just the most practical and consistent spell effect you can get. I know I'm pretty much set once I've got one for most of the game.

Also, I just learned something incredible. Dunking a dropped wand in pheromone makes it rise up and move around on its own! You can't hit it either so no worries of it turning on you, just maybe friendly fire.

Wow, so you could put a healing spell in the wand, then have it follow you around and heal you? How long does it last for?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I just found out that you can pair vampirism with oil or slime blood, then drink slime or oil to gain health!

So an oil trail spell would give you infinite health potion. I always assumed that you needed red blood no matter what.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cardiovorax posted:

You used to, so this must have been changed in the meantime.

I'm going off a site I read with tips and tricks. Haven't tried it myself, although I will tonight after work. But it would be a game changer if it's true.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone find the new bar of light spell useful? Enemies seem to avoid it. At least the fire bugs did.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
New Game + is really hard.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Those things are super dangerous. I've killed myself by accidentally aiming it beside instead of above for a horizontal version of it. I like that there are both horizontal and vertical version of the spell.

Seems like enemies really don't like going through them though, so it can be a good way to save yourself if you are being chased and need a break.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mondian posted:

What exactly does damage field do? It's pretty vague in-game and I couldn't find anything more online, though people seem to recommend it often.

adds a purple field around your projectile that damages enemies caught in it. Add it to a bouncing green projectile with rapid fire wand and you wipe out most things quickly.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mondian posted:

Yeah but how much damage? Everything else in this game has hard numbers, damage field just says "damaging energy field". I get the cloud interaction could be great, but for regular projectiles how does it stack up vs Damage plus?

No idea, but it does serious damage vs tough enemies when I use it, even if the projectile never hits them, and the field aspect is another reason to use it. You don't have to be as accurate.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Grey Face posted:

Is there anything to find in the world after killing the last boss and completing the work? I dug down and found more caves but they're empty and gold like everything else.

Go up.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Nightmare is brutal.

I had one of those green bars in a wand and thought I was being smart killing guys going through it after me.

Then a purple squid guy throws one of his children at me, it phases through the barrier, but I was stuck in a small space and then freak out and jump through my barrier and die.

I guess there are some invincibility frames or maybe they teleport? Not sure about that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I had no idea there were infinite worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Kd4YfdUdc

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
They need to make physical immunity apply to your own projectiles because those saw blades, especially the huge one are serious threats to personal safety.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I've found it several times, even a wand with always cast, but never had tracking with it. That wand seems seriously OP.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If you post a gif of you want you should post a screenshot of the wand itself so we know what spells and such are on it. Because seriously, I want to make that wand.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Hah, that wand is nuts. They need like a tutorial on how to make wands before this game is finally released.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I've noticed that if I put a multi-cast at the end of a wand instead of the beginning, it tends to fire faster. No clue why that is, but I've started to do that in some cases to improve my fire rate.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

TACD posted:

I assume that at some point they'll have to massively overhaul the edit wand interface and make it into a big branching tree affair with highlights showing exactly which spells modifiers affect.

I really hope so. Having a dynamic tree based on the spells inserted would be wonderful.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If I find a really good wand in the first area I will go get hearts otherwise I wait until I hit the ice caves and go far right to get back to the start to get more hearts so I have more health for the rest of the levels.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Had an amazing run which was build on a wand with tracking, explosion on alcohol, and cloud of alcohol. I literally could just go around the map destroying everything, even beat the boss with relative ease as I had immunity to everything but explosions, and the perk that pushes slow moving projectiles away. That perk is OP as hell. Even the jewel guys in the last level before the boss couldn't hit me when I was almost right against them.

Then the game crashed on me after two hours or so. Gotta remember to save and restart ever half our or so. Probably a memory leak of some sort.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Zesty posted:

I absolutely need a good wand making guide and I’ve played almost 20 hours. I feel like I’m always winging it and never getting it quite right.

Newb.

It took me a long time to figure out good wand combinations. I still only know a few good ones, and I'm sure there are many more better ones out there.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

jaete posted:

It definitely takes a bunch of time to figure out all the different spells, and to figure out how to make wands. Apart from that I think it might be enough to just somehow guarantee that you'll always find something good by the second or third level. I think the estimate of finding something good 50% of the time is a bit too high, it doesn't feel like I've been nearly that lucky even after I got slightly less bad at the game.

The good thing is that there are lots of good choices for spells. Out of the powerful spells, such as lightning bolt, chain bolt, rapid-fire wand + green bouncy thing, etc, they could guarantee that each run there will be a wand containing one or two of those somewhere in the first or second level, for instance. Maybe that would be enough to balance it. Or maybe something like this is already the case but I haven't realised since I still suck. :v:

Anyway, I think the game is big enough that the wands and spells, and their placement on the levels, cannot be completely random, because if they are you get this 1-in-50 thing.

Exploring really pays off. Don't rush through each level.

I almost always go right in the mines before going left to the fungal caverns because I can usually pick up a wand with some good spells that will help me get better wands in the caverns.

I also use the edit wands anywhere mod which really helps to experiment with spells and wands to figure out what works.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Also, Energy Orb is your friend.

Once I get that I drop bombs for any sort of digging. It basically means you can mine all the gold from the surface and first two areas. Money isn't an issue after that until the very end, but by that point you should have a wand that can kill the guys that give you tons of gold anyway.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Really like the new enemy and wand radar perks. Makes it difficult to choose between wand radar and shield though. A found wand can be far more valuable than a shield depending on your current wand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Found a sodium flask today. Mixing with water creates explosions. Interesting.