Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I didn't see a thread for this, so I made one.

Click for trailer

Undone is a rotoscope-animation half-hour drama about mental illness, trauma, identity, and time travel created by Kate Purdy and Raphael Bob-Waksberg (of Bojack Horseman fame.) It's 8 episodes long and available on Amazon Prime now.

So, what is it about?

Alma (Rosa Salazar, Alita: Battle Angel) is a troubled young woman living in Texas with her mother and sister. One day, after a traumatic car accident, she begins to interact with the spirit of her dead father (Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul.) Having unlocked supernatural abilities, Alma is asked to control her gifts and try to undo her father's death by altering the past.

Sounds weird. What is it similar to?

Nothing, really. Aesthetically, like Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly. In terms of plot or character, imagine if Fleabag was actually The OA. But honestly, it's a very experimental and surreal show and I can't think of anything like it.

But it's extremely good, thought-provoking, and demands a ton of analysis. It's also beautiful and moving and occasionally devastating. Watch it, it's like 3 hours all-in and I really want to talk to some people about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

She works at a daycare I assure you she is making poor people wages.

Sure, they're not rich, but I didn't get the sense they were in horrible poverty. Alma's mother appears to own her house, and her sister seems to be doing fine.

I don't think the show is "about poverty" in any particular way. Alma's life being lovely seems more related to her mental illness problems and her lack of ambition or concern for the future; it seems appreciably worse than the rest of her family. But even Jacob's death seems more about the emotional than the financial for her. The montage of "you weren't here" moments involved, like, missing graduations or not being there during her periods of self-harm. It didn't show Alma and her sister at a soup kitchen or her mom turning tricks to make rent or anything.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

People who live in nicely furnished, spacious houses, have no problems with healthcare, and express no financial concerns about missing a great deal of work or even being fired: “struggling poverty”.

Yeah, the second point is the one I find most relevant. Alma is in a hospital for a while, is getting PT, and nobody cares about the cost or has any problems with their insurance. They're fine.

They're poor relative to Bojack Horseman, a show about literal multimillionaires in the most affluent strata of Los Angeles.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

That said, are they even hoping for a second season? This story seems very self-contained.

This was my thinking. The last shot is so intentional about the ambiguity; if they wanted to provide answers, why go with this Schrödinger's Jacob ending? They'd have to provide an answer one way or the other if they make more episodes. Which could be fine, but it'd become a totally different show at that point.

The OA also plays this game: the first season is intentionally coy about the reality of Prairie's supernatural experiences, and the point becomes that her friends' belief in her message is more important than the question of its reality. Then season 2 happens, and not only is all of the multiverse empathy dance magic real, but it's 1000% more absurd than it sounded. To clarify, I loving loved The OA, but season 2 is...a whole other vibe.

So, I'd be fine with more Undone, but only if it goes totally off the rails. Chooses total batshit crazy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Aces High posted:

S2 Speculation
Then again, I would be down for another season if it means we get to see writers struggle with how to piece a life back together that has been missing for 20 years, sort of like how every time Marty McFly goes back to 1985 his entire life as he has known it doesn't exist anymore.

I was imagining something like that, but only in part. My pitch is more she brings Jacob back, but the way that looks is some surreal split timeline she exists across, where in one he never died and they're both McFly time-doppelgängers who don't recall the past 20 years, and in the other he's still dead and her family is convinced she's schizophrenic, and it's hard for her to figure out or control which one she's in at any given moment.