Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Xealot posted:

But honestly, it's a very experimental and surreal show and I can't think of anything like it.

The rotoscope thing is supposedly a first, but for substance television has actually been trying this or something close a lot (Mr. Robot, last season of Buffy, The Leftovers, others I forget or never saw, arguably Dexter) and I mean that as a compliment since only the show I find clearly better (The Leftovers) is anywhere near as good as this. And doing it so well is part of what made The Leftovers my favorite show of all time, so I'm not disappointed that 3 hours of content hasn't dethroned it for me. (And I caught what seemed like that nod to The OA too; good stuff, whether coincidence or not.)

So what is it like? Like a good part of the Leftovers expressed visually as an old Sierra adventure game, meaning just about perfect. Or two my favorite things anyway. Can't miss stuff. (I heard about it from a positively glowing NPR review for what it's worth.) Best current show with Bob Odenkirk in it and probably the best show featuring Bob Odenkirk I've ever seen.

There might be a potential flaw or "imbalance" in the writing of the finale, but it could just be me. I bet I need to think or comb over it more, and I'd want more people finished with the show and talking before getting into super-spoilery stuff like that. I hope I'm wrong because in Kubrick's Shining when the ghost just undeniably opened that door lock it killed the duality and ruined the movie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU