Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I marathoned this from start to finish recently, was the s1 ending reveal a big deal? It felt really predictable by the time they got there but maybe live it was a shocker or something.

Also this show's plot is what I imagine having adhd feels like, but on the flip side the whole thing had a very hitchhikers guide junior vibe throughout so that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

zer0spunk posted:

I marathoned this from start to finish recently, was the s1 ending reveal a big deal? It felt really predictable by the time they got there but maybe live it was a shocker or something.

Also this show's plot is what I imagine having adhd feels like, but on the flip side the whole thing had a very hitchhikers guide junior vibe throughout so that was cool.

Even if you figured out the twist before the show makes it plain, the fact is that it becomes a completely different show after the reveal.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It does a weird halfway thing in that first season. When they start revealing more of the main 4's backstory and personality traits it becomes fairly obvious they aren't in the good place..but at the same time a lot of little things don't make much sense if they had that twist plotted out from the get-go as anything but audience misdirection..like one episode ending on the cliffhanger of the sinkhole expanding and michael and janet freaking out, alone. Which really doesn't make any sense given the reveal..like there's foreshadowing to get there but also misdirects, it's interesting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

zer0spunk posted:

It does a weird halfway thing in that first season. When they start revealing more of the main 4's backstory and personality traits it becomes fairly obvious they aren't in the good place..but at the same time a lot of little things don't make much sense if they had that twist plotted out from the get-go as anything but audience misdirection..like one episode ending on the cliffhanger of the sinkhole expanding and michael and janet freaking out, alone. Which really doesn't make any sense given the reveal..like there's foreshadowing to get there but also misdirects, it's interesting.

They made it very clear in the writer's room that Michael was under no circumstances allowed to be seen alone, because then he would just drop the act.

Janet, however, counts as making him not-alone, remember.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

They made it very clear in the writer's room that Michael was under no circumstances allowed to be seen alone, because then he would just drop the act.

Janet, however, counts as making him not-alone, remember.

Oh neat, now I'm trying to remember if they explained that he snagged her in that first season or not in the reveal episode. If they didn't maybe I assumed she was "in" on it and glossed over that by the time they hit the reveal. Watching it back to back with no gap was intense, so many things happen at a breakneck speed (and then kinda spin the wheels a bit in s3)...overall I dug it (ted danson on earth was a great way to go out, sad they didn't pull a cheers gag)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Oh neat, now I'm trying to remember if they explained that he snagged her in that first season or not in the reveal episode. If they didn't maybe I assumed she was "in" on it and glossed over that by the time they hit the reveal. Watching it back to back with no gap was intense, so many things happen at a breakneck speed (and then kinda spin the wheels a bit in s3)...overall I dug it (ted danson on earth was a great way to go out, sad they didn't pull a cheers gag)

Season 2 early on. Shows Michael sneaking into the Janet warehouse and him talking with Shawn about why they need a good place janet (bad janet explodes when she tries to be nice instead of farting in people's faces).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

Season 2 early on. Shows Michael sneaking into the Janet warehouse and him talking with Shawn about why they need a good place janet (bad janet explodes when she tries to be nice instead of farting in people's faces).

ha, so the misdirect in season 1 only seems like a mistake until you hit season 2 and realize he kidnapped her (and then i think s4 flashbacks when you see him initially tricking her in the first days of the building)

since it seems like you dug into the supplemental stuff, how much of the show did they make up as they went vs how much was plotted from the get go?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

ha, so the misdirect in season 1 only seems like a mistake until you hit season 2 and realize he kidnapped her (and then i think s4 flashbacks when you see him initially tricking her in the first days of the building)

since it seems like you dug into the supplemental stuff, how much of the show did they make up as they went vs how much was plotted from the get go?

A *shitton* was plotted from the get go. Season 1 was basically plotted before they started writing at all, the other seasons they started figuring out as soon as it made sense I guess? Schur was pretty focused.

I'd highly recommend the podcast, Shawn's actor does interviews with a bunch of cast but also backstage folks like costume, producers, the composer. It's good stuff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

zer0spunk posted:

Michael states at the end of s1 that Janet isn't one of them, during the reveal sequence.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
not having him alone in any scene is pretty slick, i fell for it haha. i wanna say the sinkhole thing happens a bit before things that cement the twist right? like tahani being number 327 or what have you on the list she shouldn't be seeing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

not having him alone in any scene is pretty slick, i fell for it haha. i wanna say the sinkhole thing happens a bit before things that cement the twist right? like tahani being number 327 or what have you on the list she shouldn't be seeing

They also made sure not to dress him in red (to avoid devil allusions).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ted Danson plays the lovable kook aw-shucks thing perfectly in that initial first loop or whatever we should call it, he's not the tell, for me anyway.

Tahani did it for me, for sure. The moment they start to delve into the inferiority complex and narcissism traits (which is pretty quick) you question how she'd be there when the show hits you with the moral guidelines to get into the "good place" super fast and often

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Ted Danson plays the lovable kook aw-shucks thing perfectly in that initial first loop or whatever we should call it, he's not the tell, for me anyway.

Tahani did it for me, for sure. The moment they start to delve into the inferiority complex and narcissism traits (which is pretty quick) you question how she'd be there when the show hits you with the moral guidelines to get into the "good place" super fast and often

It's amazing just how right Eleanor is!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

It's amazing just how right Eleanor is!

I really didn't see Chidi's indecision as the same level of damning behavior they cast on everyone else for the most part, even when the show goes out of its way to demonstrate it with the actual trolley dilemma brought to life

but that's probably subjective

e: dude just wants to do some research before he picks, chill!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 10, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
As it turns out, about 7 billion people who didn't have the same level of damning behavior as Eleanor went to the bad place too!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Argue posted:

As it turns out, about 7 billion people who didn't have the same level of damning behavior as Eleanor went to the bad place too!

haha fair, the entire system is ridiculous as shown many times in the plot

i guess he just stands out from that initial four when you look at them in comparison. that scene where he freaks out in this last season over having a small file and doing nothing didn't seem all that bad lol. is having a boring life better than having a wild rear end life where you have multiple stone cold steve austin run ins from a moral/ethical standpoint?

show was good :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually like Chidi's relatively 'kind' flaw being treated as something significant because it really is his biggest flaw. His inability to make decisions constantly hurts his life and the lives of those around him and it isn't because he is malicious or cowardly or anything, it is just a flaw in who he is. Which means it becomes more and more significant when he *does* make decisions and why it means so much at the end that he makes the choice to move on before Eleanor does. He is making his own genuine decision out of his own genuine belief and he isn't double guessing himself.

It is really satisfying how all the characters grow in such a natural way that the ending for each is a perfect culmination of their character. Jason is never a smart man but he becomes a wise man in his own way. Tahani devotes herself to helping others and is happy to do so. Chidi becomes comfortable with himself and willing to make decisions. And Eleanor as a person may no longer be there but her essence goes on to make the universe better and kinder no matter how selfish and self-centered she might have been in life.

God drat I love TGP. it is really stunning just how *good* a show it is.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
"is inaction worse then the wrong choice" is a pretty fun can of worms to get into..i'm also :allears: with the way this show revolved around philosophy so well, in a mainstream network sitcom no less.

i was trying to think about how you can sum this show up to recommend it to other people, without ruining a lot of it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

silvergoose posted:

A *shitton* was plotted from the get go. Season 1 was basically plotted before they started writing at all, the other seasons they started figuring out as soon as it made sense I guess? Schur was pretty focused.

I'd highly recommend the podcast, Shawn's actor does interviews with a bunch of cast but also backstage folks like costume, producers, the composer. It's good stuff.

Absolutely re: the podcast.

I've watched this show through probably two or three times at this point, but going through the first half of S1 was kind of shocking with all of the dialogue breadcrumbs they leave regarding how things will go.

We got through season 1! Auntie was too tired to say much but the Bad Place reveal totally caught her off guard. I'll ask her more tomorrow before she leaves. And then I'll :filez: a USB drive of season 4 to her because I'm pretty sure it's not on Netflix.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I really didn't see Chidi's indecision as the same level of damning behavior they cast on everyone else for the most part, even when the show goes out of its way to demonstrate it with the actual trolley dilemma brought to life

but that's probably subjective

e: dude just wants to do some research before he picks, chill!

The thing is that you can definitely tell that Chidi and Tahani do not belong in the same Good Place.

There is a utilitarian argument that Tahani could deserve to get into Heaven on the strength of her charitable arguments despite her moral flaws, and there is an argument that Chidi could deserve to get into Heaven on the depth of his moral character despite his general uselessness, but they logically shouldn't both make it in on the same scoring system.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Tahani's motivations were corrupt, same reason Eleanor's little scoring stopwatch did jackshit when she was hanging out holding the door for everybody. She didn't do good deeds; she attempted and failed to impress her folks.

Chidi is a bit tougher since his fatal flaw was a bit more roundabout. But I think you're right on the money when you talk about his uselessness, because even as a professor of moral philosophy, his compunctions led him to behave very amorally. And the Good Place/points system seems to acknowledge good works compounded with good intentions, and Chidi didn't even have a good work. I actually believe S1 Michael when he says that Chidi's 3600 page dissertation was incomprehensible even to him. And if Chidi really had good intentions, would he have ruined his best friend's wedding like that?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's simpler than you might think. Chidi is an example of good intentions without good works, Tahani is an example of good works without good intentions, and both are required to score a decent amount of points with the Good Place's accounting system.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

"is inaction worse then the wrong choice" is a pretty fun can of worms to get into..i'm also :allears: with the way this show revolved around philosophy so well, in a mainstream network sitcom no less.

i was trying to think about how you can sum this show up to recommend it to other people, without ruining a lot of it.

Oh yeah they hired a philosophy professor to teach and train the writers, because of course they did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I forget the exact specifics, but on a recent Poscast, Mike Schur mentioned that he's currently working on a book based on what he learned about being good while writing the show. Here's hoping it's as impenetrable as Chidi's thesis

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I would love to read skim that book table of contents!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love to imagine Michael was genuinely stumped by Chidi’s doorstopper. That wasn’t an act at all, it’s just that impenetrable.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

A bit late to the party, but on my first watch I took it at face value and did buy Michael as a sort-of bumbling first-timer, and I guess I didn't think too hard about why the wrong people ended up in the good place, it just drove the drama. But on the other hand, the reveal was extremely delicious, in no small part due to Ted Danson's complete 180 in personality and acting. That sinister laugh was the pay-off for season 1 for me!

In my defence, this was my first Schur show (yes, I know...), and I think I was expecting 'just' a normal comedy, just about Heaven. So I was pleasantly surprised!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I thought the reveal was just going to be that nobody in the neighborhood actually belonged and it was a huge screw up.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Kazy posted:

I thought the reveal was just going to be that nobody in the neighborhood actually belonged and it was a huge screw up.
Well nobody in that neighborhood did belong in The Good Place, aside from Janet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

That's the thing: it's obvious that something is up but the exact details are uncertain enough to make the payoff from the reveal worth it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

zer0spunk posted:

...overall I dug it (ted danson on earth was a great way to go out, sad they didn't pull a cheers gag)

They did the Cheers gag earlier, when he is the bartender with the towel over the shoulder at Eleanor's birthday.

Seeing him behind the bar was an amazing moment, I think. But Cheers was a staple of my childhood so it may not have the same impact for everyone.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ishamael posted:

They did the Cheers gag earlier, when he is the bartender with the towel over the shoulder at Eleanor's birthday.

Seeing him behind the bar was an amazing moment, I think. But Cheers was a staple of my childhood so it may not have the same impact for everyone.

i mean, yeah, but i was hoping for more of a john ritter in stay tuned thing, less subtle with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKBsohgTKiY

idk, have the establishing shot of the bar be cheers or something. i'm sure people would have hated it, i would have ate it up

e: i woulda made the guy who hands him the loyalty card letter kelsey grammer or something and got booed out of the writers room

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, rewatching and I realised I missed that there's a quick "1.2 Jeremy Bearemys later" between them coming up with the new afterlife tests with Vicky and the system being put into production/the gang getting into the good place. It seems like a JB is subjectively at least a year, so there was a quite a skip there, kinda sad we didn't see more of the process of refinement.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Jeremy Bearimy is the entirety of time. So they went from Big Bang to heat death of the universe and then a little past that. Lot of that in the final episodes!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MikeJF posted:

Huh, rewatching and I realised I missed that there's a quick "1.2 Jeremy Bearemys later" between them coming up with the new afterlife tests with Vicky and the system being put into production/the gang getting into the good place. It seems like a JB is subjectively at least a year, so there was a quite a skip there, kinda sad we didn't see more of the process of refinement.

There is no Jeremy Bearemy equivalent. It's just Jeremy Bearemy. That's the joke that's the point.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
A beariny is simultaneously about a year and an eternity, which makes much more sense now than when it was introduced.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Thranguy posted:

A beariny is simultaneously about a year and an eternity, which makes much more sense now than when it was introduced.

Don’t forget the dot which is Tuesdays, and also July, and sometimes never.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Promoted Pawn posted:

Don’t forget the dot which is Tuesdays, and also July, and sometimes never.

And her birthday!

Not a girl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

There is no Jeremy Bearemy equivalent. It's just Jeremy Bearemy. That's the joke that's the point.

It's not equivalent, but subjectively it seems like it's quite a while.

My point was that we skipped a lot of development in that screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zedd posted:

And her birthday!

Not a girl.

Nope, she pointed at some other part if the main line.