Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh and I watched Sunnyside, looks promising

It figures a Mike Schur show would have a monologue about baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I live very near Sunnyside too so it's cool seeing familiar geography, I'd probably stick with the show just for that :v:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Regy Rusty posted:

I live very near Sunnyside too so it's cool seeing familiar geography, I'd probably stick with the show just for that :v:

Hell same. Me and my wife are having fun pointing out the locations of nothing else.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vietnamwees posted:

Anyone have the scoop on who the bad place demons chose to mess with Eleanor? It...its not gonna be Steve Austin, is it? I think that would make her get sexually frustrated more than anything else.

Just FYI, I'm still looking for the answer to this since I couldn't wat h the premiere since I'm out of town til tomorrow. Is it even known at this point after the premiere who it is, or is it gonna be another big mystery that the Soul Squad has to figure out?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

Just FYI, I'm still looking for the answer to this since I couldn't wat h the premiere since I'm out of town til tomorrow. Is it even known at this point after the premiere who it is, or is it gonna be another big mystery that the Soul Squad has to figure out?

The answer is in the premiere but unsurprisingly the premiere also has a twiiiiist

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I guess that's Glenn on the Michael suit huh

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Shawn has to be the only one able enough to pull it off.

Either that or Vicki’s acting chops are finally being put to good use.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaveGrinch posted:

Either that or Vicki’s acting chops are finally being put to good use.

If it were Vicki, then the Michael suit would have a limp.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Uhhh what's the spoiler policy for this

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Simone wandering around in a cheese hat and foam #1 fingers, knocking over everything in sight? Perfect.

The judge's threat of making Shawn watch video of soldiers reuniting with their dogs was hard core. She needs her Timothy Olyphant time!

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 27, 2019

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wylie posted:

The Kars for Kids song killed me and my entire family. We had to pause for a sec to regain our composure.

Everyone I know is dead, that was so good

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the whole experiment is getting run off the rails by ep3 isn't it.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I bet Chidi figures it out for a change and the book hurting his hand is his first clue

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Adding more layers to Simone is much appreciated, but Jason’s “Chidi looks like one of those owls who graduated from college” slayed me. God drat

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Jason gets flak for being too dumb sometimes but I really appreciate how dumb his jokes are bc there’s this whole lateral process that makes it feel like a cryptic crossword or something. I think I took a full minute after the owl bit to slow down and realise he’s referring to those cardboard cutouts of an owl you see in a kids library with a grad cap and I lost it completely

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Jason gets flak for being too dumb sometimes but I really appreciate how dumb his jokes are bc there’s this whole lateral process that makes it feel like a cryptic crossword or something. I think I took a full minute after the owl bit to slow down and realise he’s referring to those cardboard cutouts of an owl you see in a kids library with a grad cap and I lost it completely

The second he said it I had Mr. Owl from the old Tootsie Roll Pops commercial in my head.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only part of the episode that didn't click for me was how fast Chidi decided on which book to summon :v:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wylie posted:

The second he said it I had Mr. Owl from the old Tootsie Roll Pops commercial in my head.

Ha! Me too!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm curious about with Shawn is from the mini-sodes, where he had a moment of being less of an rear end in a top hat than he was used to being in listening to that one demon:

"She just said that, Weren't you paying attention?"
"No. Because she's a woman..."
"Good point, why was I paying attention...?"

Could it be that Shawn is actually getting better himself despite his worse judgement? Maybe the concept of humans getting better has freaked him out enough to get under his Michael-suit a little, hence him being so desperate to win that he's resorted to cheating - he genuinely thinks that the experiment could succeed and that terrifies him. Or maybe it's just shook him so badly he hasn't got the time to be ignoring his underlings like he normally does, because he's again, so desperate for a solution he doesn't want to waste time with demonic pettiness.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Azhais posted:

The only part of the episode that didn't click for me was how fast Chidi decided on which book to summon :v:

It was A Critique of Pure Reason, so I'll give it a pass.

Also, Sunnyside's prospects are not good. It's obviously Community + current politics, and very much in a way that doesn't sit well with me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

Honestly, they should've had half the library fly at him, with Eleanor cringing a split second before as she realises she asked him to make a decision.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

For a moment I thought that Sunnyside had done a amazing coup by getting AOC as a guest star. It was a little shocking that it wasn’t her. Didn’t hate the show, the running gag of the one woman working literally everywhere was pretty good.

The podcast is great, I also love that they thought the Bad Place song would be cut right up to the edit.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Loved the episode -- I liked the fakeout with Linda, and Chidi being the fourth one makes sense. Plus everything Simone is doing is incredible.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Missed opportunity not having Eleanor suggest Chidi summon What We Owe to Each Other but that's probably too obvious.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Jet Jaguar posted:

For a moment I thought that Sunnyside had done a amazing coup by getting AOC as a guest star. It was a little shocking that it wasn’t her. Didn’t hate the show, the running gag of the one woman working literally everywhere was pretty good.

The podcast is great, I also love that they thought the Bad Place song would be cut right up to the edit.

Seriously? They look nothing alike, other than the fact they're both 30s-ish Caribbean women with dark hair and eyes. This is one of the weirdest comments I've ever read SA and that's saying something.

Anyway, Sunnyside seemed fine if heavy-handed. If it lightens up it could be solid.

As far as Good Place, I didn't love first episode nearly as much as the first episodes of previous seasons, but I have faith in the writers to pick it back up. I totally missed the potential Michael switch; which could be a lot a lot of fun in later episodes if theories are right. But let's be honest...we're all really just here to see Disco Janet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the first ep wasn't as quite as impactful as we're used to, but it is early days and everyone is kinda constrained by the system right now, so not too many wacky hijinks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Can someone explain what the Kars for Kids thing is?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’m wondering if the Bad Place plan isn’t so much Team Cockroach failing to redeem the newbies as it is to make Team Cockroach BAD again. They’ve even managed to piss off Janet.

Also, the whole reason the original four started to become good was because Eleanor and later Jason (sort of) “realized” they didn’t belong there, so the current subjects have no reason to change.

Assuming people aren’t right about the Michael suit, my baseless prediction for the episode three change-up is that they will lead someone to say “this is the Bad Place,” then run with it. Hoping the threat of damnation turns them around.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Oasx posted:

Can someone explain what the Kars for Kids thing is?
It's a long-running (and long-loathed) radio jingle for a charity.

It's also a weird bundle of contradicting emotions (it's a charity! for sick kids! that might be a scam! or are the people saying it's a scam anti-semitic?) and the organization seems to have leaned into the "ha ha we're those people with the terrible jingle!" in the same way that George W. Bush leaned in on "ha ha, I mispronounce words sometimes, ignore anything else I've ever done" and through all of this it's still on NYC radio (presumably elsewhere?) multiple times an hour for at least twenty years now.

Here is a story about it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Agh that joke landed perfectly for me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

navyjack posted:

I’m wondering if the Bad Place plan isn’t so much Team Cockroach failing to redeem the newbies as it is to make Team Cockroach BAD again. They’ve even managed to piss off Janet.

Also, the whole reason the original four started to become good was because Eleanor and later Jason (sort of) “realized” they didn’t belong there, so the current subjects have no reason to change.

Assuming people aren’t right about the Michael suit, my baseless prediction for the episode three change-up is that they will lead someone to say “this is the Bad Place,” then run with it. Hoping the threat of damnation turns them around.

Eleanor knew she didn't belong because Michael "unintentionally" got her file mixed up with someone else, and they did the same with Jason If Michael would have told Eleanor that she got into the good place while still acknowledging all the bad stuff she did in her life, I don't think she would have changed at all and probably would have just enjoyed herself until the bad place intervened. And Chidi and Tahani we're good enough people on the surface that they wouldn't have had any trouble believing that they got into the good place.

I don't know how they could have done it without having any time to prepare for the new people, but I'm sure that they could have found a way on the fly to make the new people question whether or not they belong in the good place. But who knows what the writers have planned for this season. It's entirely possible they did consider all of that and are going in a different direction.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shadowhand00 posted:

Agh that joke landed perfectly for me.

I busted a gut, because I'll sing along to it when it comes on the radio and sing the last line as "This song will play in Hell!" And it did. Kinda.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like to see Shawn try to torture someone with something he assumes will be terrible in every way but turns out to have an angle that the victim enjoyed. Just "I tried to torture Walt Disney by making him watch the Tinkerbell movies, but he thought they were actually kind of interesting. Damnit... Next time I'm going with Turbo..."

Hell, see him being taken aback by someone on Earth playing something like I Wanna Be the Guy and enjoying the frustration. "They won't easily torture each other, but they'll happily torture themselves... I don't get these dingbats at all..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 27, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I live in the Tri-State Area and that joke killed me. I've been hearing that jingle for years.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Of course they use Windows Mobile in the Bad Place ...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There used to be a Kars 4 Kids billboard near my apartment, and it was very confusing because there was zero indication of what the hell it was.

I had no idea there was such a great evil lying underneath.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I forgot to say last night, I was cracking up that the obelisk that the neutral-place accountant went into was the same one that Michael used in one of the early reboots as a means to torture the four.

I wonder how they'll snap Simone out of her atheist funk? It could easily be Chidi throwing a variation of Pascal's Wager at her, or maybe it'll be more comedic, like Jason will introduce her to something so far outside her knowledge base that her glitching brain couldn't possibly have invented it.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 27, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Arist posted:

Yeah I live in the Tri-State Area and that joke killed me. I've been hearing that jingle for years.

It's played in the sf bay area during baseball games, including on TV.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jingleheimer posted:

Eleanor knew she didn't belong because Michael "unintentionally" got her file mixed up with someone else, and they did the same with Jason If Michael would have told Eleanor that she got into the good place while still acknowledging all the bad stuff she did in her life, I don't think she would have changed at all and probably would have just enjoyed herself until the bad place intervened. And Chidi and Tahani we're good enough people on the surface that they wouldn't have had any trouble believing that they got into the good place.

I don't know how they could have done it without having any time to prepare for the new people, but I'm sure that they could have found a way on the fly to make the new people question whether or not they belong in the good place. But who knows what the writers have planned for this season. It's entirely possible they did consider all of that and are going in a different direction.

Yeah this seems like a key point that is missing from the current experiment. Eleanor and Jason being mixed up as different people was the lynch-pin that was supposed to make the entire elaborate torture work by forcing them all the make each other miserable in very specific and personal ways. It backfired because being forced into this stressful situation was torture but it also forged a bond between them that caused them to actually grow as people.

The current newbies are all unfortunately doing their own thing and there doesn't seem to be a plan to actually get them to help each other or even realize that they need to get better, outside of Chidi probably helping Simone come to terms with the existence of an after life. I'm sure this will be addressed in the coming episodes but it seems like an initial oversight for them to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, geez, I'm slow on the uptake today. Linda's first request after waking up was to ask if there was a fitness center in the Good Place. Of course That One Demon wanted to go to the gym...