Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mordiceius posted:

Derek Dereks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kumba posted:

how dare you, him holding the martini glass filled with gerkins last week loving killed me

:chef: Martini glass filled with cornichon.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
aren't those basically the same thing

....wait, THIS is the bad pl-

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just trying to keep things classy.

That said I do agree there has been a bit more Derek in the last few episodes than I prefer. Mantzoukas is best in small doses.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Episode 4, "Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy,” has to be about the Michael suit, right?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Episode 4, "Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy,” has to be about the Michael suit, right?

Are you asking, or telling??

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Azhais posted:

Jason Mantzoukas has consistently been my least favorite part of anything he's ever been in
I normally agree, but he was absolutely perfect for one episode of Legion. One episode is the appropriate amount of Mantzoukas.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I normally agree, but he was absolutely perfect for one episode of Legion. One episode is the appropriate amount of Mantzoukas.

He was also perfect in the one episode of Review with Forrest McNeil he was on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I keep hearing that America did a version of Review and people say its goodand I want to check it out real bad bc American remakes of Australian shows are almost universally reviled but its always geoblocked or not available here :(

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tristesse posted:

Tick tock, Mr. Wick! Tick tock!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I keep hearing that America did a version of Review and people say its goodand I want to check it out real bad bc American remakes of Australian shows are almost universally reviled but its always geoblocked or not available here :(

Review is really good. It’s also profoundly depressing. Five stars, but I wouldn’t recommend it for people who can’t handle that sort of thing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the australian version has an ongoing storyline starting with Miles Barlow reviewing divorce and following his desperate borderline stalking obsession with his ex-wife after getting addicted to heroin so I'm sure I'll be fine

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the absolute highlight was the episode where he gets into a fistfight in the ABC cafeteria with the Movie show reviewer

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Derek is amazing, and I love every scene he is in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Michael got swapped by Vicki, I hope he does a bad Australian accent at some point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

If Michael got swapped by Vicki, I hope he does a bad Australian accent at some point.

They can tie it in with a Simone joke.

Her accent didn't annoy me (am Aussie) this week because I legit didn't even register it as bad Aussie, it just sounded like one of the weird British accents.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was watching a cooking show with a bloke from Perth who had lived in London since he was 17 and I was instantly reminded of Simone so maybe she just picked up the accent from ex pats. It’s not the worst accent I’ve ever heard but it’s way too broad for someone living in Sydney even west Sydney

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bobulus posted:

- This next episode will be mostly about snapping Simone out of her delusion. Thinking further on this, so far they've tried to keep her isolated from the others, but maybe what will do the trick is forcing her to interact with them. I mean, she thinks all this is her brain doing great stuff for her and/or malfunctioning. Eleanor can't be mean to her without her realizing this isn't the Good Place in the long-run. But if she's forced to put up with two incredibly shallow and self-centered people? Why would her brain conjure them?
- This might actually be what helps Brent figure out that he shouldn't just keep doing what he's doing, too? I mean, if Simone gets so annoyed that she kicks his rear end, maybe it'll finally get through his thick skull? Probably not, but I can dare to dream.

I don't think they will persuade Simone that it's not real. Rather I expect Chidi to make an argument that persuades her it doesn't matter if it's real or not so she may as well treat it as if it is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I was watching a cooking show with a bloke from Perth who had lived in London since he was 17 and I was instantly reminded of Simone so maybe she just picked up the accent from ex pats. It’s not the worst accent I’ve ever heard but it’s way too broad for someone living in Sydney even west Sydney

It doesn't work for her character at all, but it probably wouldn't be out of place at all from someone moderately respectable from a small country town somewhere.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the australian version has an ongoing storyline starting with Miles Barlow reviewing divorce and following his desperate borderline stalking obsession with his ex-wife after getting addicted to heroin so I'm sure I'll be fine
The American version splits up (but ties together) the episodes where he reviews cocaine and divorce, but the "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" episode is where the US version kicks into overdrive. It's also the third episode of the first season, so it doesn't take too long to get going.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Jason Mantzoukas has consistently been my least favorite part of anything he's ever been in

He was actually pretty good on Legion, but that role didn't require him to be super annoying so that also helped.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Oasx posted:

He was actually pretty good on Legion, but that role didn't require him to be super annoying so that also helped.

You should check out No Activity. He's in season 2, and he basically plays a normal opposite Cristin Milioti who plays the "Mantzoukas part".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Chidi would have a field day with this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tristesse posted:

He got back into his car... and drove away.

MikeJF posted:

They can tie it in with a Simone joke.

Her accent didn't annoy me (am Aussie) this week because I legit didn't even register it as bad Aussie, it just sounded like one of the weird British accents.

Kirby Howell-Baptiste is also on Barry and in the second season she has a scene where she gets angry at Barry for suggesting she do an Australian accent and declares that she will never play an Australian.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I don't think they will persuade Simone that it's not real. Rather I expect Chidi to make an argument that persuades her it doesn't matter if it's real or not so she may as well treat it as if it is.

This is also entirely possible, but I was thinking about what's different from the original experiment and this one, and a big one is that the original four interacted a lot. Obviously Chidi was instrumental in making Eleanor reconsider her views, but if Tahani and Jason hadn't been there to introduce new ethical problems for her, things would not have worked out quite so well.

In the new experiment, Eleanor has been trying hard to keep Simone isolated from the others, and we haven't seen the other two talk yet either. So my thought is that forcing them together (and having their obviously-not-perfect personalities be observed by each other) will be important.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do think Elanor is misunderstanding what happened to them in the first place by assuming that simply putting people in front of Chidi will make them better. Despite Chidi being the teacher it took all 5.5 of them [giving Janet 1/2 point because not a person] to actually do anything about it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea. Derek isn't funny at all and cutting his bits out of this episode (and the show, and brooklyn 99) would improve things tenfold.

The song they sang in the badplace was too US specific and a really poo poo choice of annoying jingle - there's loads that apply to everyone, don't be so American. Otherwise a good episode, really wondering what will come next. I didn't twig on Michael being replaced but I don't see why they'd bring up the Michael suit otherwise really.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no other jingle in existence that would have made me laugh as hard as Kars 4 Kids did. You're just going to have to accept that the good place is written for me, specifically.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

He got back into his car... and drove away.

Kirby Howell-Baptiste is also on Barry and in the second season she has a scene where she gets angry at Barry for suggesting she do an Australian accent and declares that she will never play an Australian.

Barry feels like the most industry/LA in joke heavy show but it’s still so drat funny in spite of that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Incidentally on rewatch I'm not sure how the Michael swap could've worked since he and Janet went on together. I realize now that's why some people initially said she got switched too, but I still don't think that could be possible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Literally every duck?

Yes

And also horses

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's not a bad cheat code.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh I hate this dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CHICAGO

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arist posted:

Oh I hate this dude

Omg, he's even worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's a real piece of poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure she’ll shower eventually

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This guy is a loving legend.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Saved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I don't think Michael got switched.