Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Can someone explain what the Kars for Kids thing is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Edge & Christian posted:

It's a long-running (and long-loathed) radio jingle for a charity.

It's also a weird bundle of contradicting emotions (it's a charity! for sick kids! that might be a scam! or are the people saying it's a scam anti-semitic?) and the organization seems to have leaned into the "ha ha we're those people with the terrible jingle!" in the same way that George W. Bush leaned in on "ha ha, I mispronounce words sometimes, ignore anything else I've ever done" and through all of this it's still on NYC radio (presumably elsewhere?) multiple times an hour for at least twenty years now.

Here is a story about it.

Thanks!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Jason Mantzoukas has consistently been my least favorite part of anything he's ever been in

He was actually pretty good on Legion, but that role didn't require him to be super annoying so that also helped.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Sunnyside, Mike Schur's new show has already been cancelled. The first episode wasn't quite as bad as the trailer indicated, but it was still pretty bad, surprisingly so given his track record.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't know that Brent will ultimately fail. The point of the original four was that anyone can learn to be a better person with the right education, support, and incentives. Having one of the new guys be unreachable undermines the basis of the whole show.

I agree, there is no doubt that Brent is a horrible person, but so was Eleanor to a lesser degree. If evil demons can learn to be good then so can Brent, and I think the show would be betraying its own message if it decided that Brent's variety of horrible (right wing egotistical american) was beyond redemption.
It would be so great if we get to the last episode and realize that Brent has actually turned into a pretty ok person, who like everyone else is still learning.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was pretty low of Simone and John to leave while Brent was in the pit. It would be funny if he actually managed to improve as a person more than them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mr. Powers posted:

there are no bad seasons, only bad opinions, bad people, and The Bad Place.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wasn’t really feeling this episode, the scene before the opening credits had some really bad writing and felt rushed, but then nothing really happened for the rest of the episode, but I am interested to see what happens next.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Confident Chidi is a little scary.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Medullah posted:

I really do still love the show, but I also kind of wish it'd only been one season. That twist in season one was just perfect, and everything since has been trying to live up to it.

That would have been a horrible way to end the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Young kids are easy, I don’t think the plan is to let them stay mentally undeveloped for all eternity. Beings with unlimited power can probably come up with a way to have them grow to mental and physical adults in a natural timeframe.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Stone Cold better be there

I will be disappointed if they go the whole show without Stone Cold appearing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A great ending to a great show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Taear posted:

They can't even visit Athens in the past, why would they go to other planets? It's the most limited rubbish afterlife ever.
Like I said, it's like the holodeck in star trek only the computer is a person you can speak to.

From a practical point of view it doesn’t really make sense to allow a bunch of dead people to come back to life, go to the past and then deal with them messing up earths timeline.
There is nothing stopping them from visiting any place in the universe, for all intents and purposes it will be real.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t understand what the big deal is, the oldest human ever lived to be 122, is it really so weird to think that maybe the human psyche might start to get bored or be unable to handle living for thousands or even millions of years?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Taear posted:

Well he got bored now, why is that different?

He has been around a lot longer than the humans. Also he seems obsessed with humanity in general, it is likely that his desire to move on is partly fueled by wanting to emulate his human friends.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One small thing that I didn’t like about the finale was the joke that Brent was taking a long time to learn how to be a good person.
It felt like a mean joke considering that the last time we saw him, he finally understood how much of an rear end in a top hat he had been, while the last time we saw Simone and John they were leaving a person to die.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Promoted Pawn posted:

Brent had a brief moment of realization but that isn’t going to make him a good person in and of itself.

I made my point poorly, what I meant was that since Brent was “cracked” in the seconds before the experiment ended, then it should be a lot easier to figure out how to make him a better person now that the system was worked out. Obviously it will still require a lot of work, the joke just felt a little out of place.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Bad Place was the Jeremy Bearimy discussion we had along the way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Lurdiak posted:

Also how come people still have to sleep in the afterlife.

They probably don’t, but most people find sleeping pleasant. Also, If you have infinite amount of time to do what you want, then there doesn’t seem to be much point in trying to change the human brain and societal norms.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is my experience that a lot of people didn't actually understand the ending of Lost, even though it was fairly simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If we go with that analogy then euthanasia in order to stop eternal torture isn't bad.