Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Derek is still my least favorite part of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Xelkelvos posted:

He's really good at being an extremely annoying character.

And Derek is probably the first character in The Good Place that's villainous but not actually a Demon or Demon-aligned.

His whole gimmick is “wow what a wacky weirdo” and it is boring and exhausting.

Derek sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Episode 4, "Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy,” has to be about the Michael suit, right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The descriptions for the next two episodes are:

Episode 3: Michael and Eleanor discover something troubling and turn to an unusual source for help; Tahani lends her expertise to assist with one of the new residents.

Episode 4: Uncertainty abounds when an unexpected visitor arrives.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This thread is the bad place.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Me?!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bobulus posted:

It occurs to me that the fact that Bad Janet was neither marbleized nor returned to the Bad Place means that she probably still has some role to play in the story. Some people speculated her hooking up with Derek last week, and that seems possible, but it might instead be a Good Janet / Bad Janet power showdown at some point. Which would rule.

Letting Derek and Bad Janet link up would help remove Derek as an antagonist to Jason. So it makes sense.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This season is the first where I’m not necessarily chomping at the bit for the next episode.

The show is still good, but this season is feeling weak so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

YaketySass posted:

It's not doing the thing fans loved where the show went through one season worth of plot turns in one episode, presumably because the writing is focused on building up to the finale.

While, while I understand, just makes this season feel incredibly slow. I love this show, but I feel like everything that has happened thus far could have been done in half the episodes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Descriptions from the next two episodes:

The group awaits the judge's final decision on the fate of human existence.

In an attempt to plan a better future, Chidi considers his past.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This season feels like it is easily the worst one so far. It’s so loving slow.

Seasons 1 & 2 are incredible.
Season 3 is good enough.
Season 4 is slow and boring.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The final four episode titles are:

Putting Cruelty First

Mondays, Am I Right?

Patty

When You’re Ready

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

They have a lot to get through in the last four episodes. My theory is Patty is the name our Janet chooses for herself as she recreates the universe.

That's a good as hell theory.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This is your one week warning.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m late to the game but I started binging the show’s podcast because I have way too much downtime currently and goddamn is it good. My perception is also colored by the fact that I work in the industry so it’s awesome listening to these people talk shop.

My favorite story has been about how everyone was keeping the episode 13 twist secret, even from guest directors, and Kristen Bell even kept it secret from her husband. Yet Ted Danson was literally telling everyone he knew.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It’s interesting listening to the podcast because when they discuss season 1, they make one off jokes on the podcast that actually eventually are things that are in season 4.

One writer referenced an idea that had for season 1 that was “a game night gone bad” and Mike Shurr when discussing episode 13 tells a story about when nothing matters and elaborates by saying “When you’re making Pirates of the Caribbean 17...”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tiya Sircar is insanely attractive. Holy mother forking shirtballs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just realized - there is one major loose end we aren’t considering: Janet.

Wasn’t it just the four humans and Michael in the ballon?

What about Janet?
What about Derek?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Well, what about Derek?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What if it is revealed that the Good Place is just a temporarily holding station before being reincarnated back on earth because the real Good Place is the journey, not the destination.

It ends with Chidi and Eleanor preparing to get reincarnated "When you're ready..." and then it turns out that it is all just the ending of What Dreams May Come.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Alternatively, this episode and next weeks double length episode combined are just a shot for shot recreation of Koreeda’s After Life.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

But really, y'all, if you've never seen it, go watch Hirokazu Kore-eda's 1998 film After Life.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lol we are getting the What Dreams May Come ending.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What if they go through the door and it’s just another level of existence and they’re basically doing the whole thing over with a Michael-like that is just on an even greater plane of existence. The Gooder Place does exist. And beyond that, there’s an even greater place of existence. For infinity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like you could follow a train of thought in that the more of an impact you've made on the world, the longer you'd want to spend in The Good Place.

For example - Hypatia vs dude who cut his hand.

People, for the length of human existence would be interested in going back and meeting Hypatia and look how excited she was when someone new wanted to see her. So the bigger impact you make on earth, the more you make a name for yourself, the more interested people will be in meeting you in the afterlife and the more excitement you'll be able to have from meeting new people.

Dude who cut his hand is a random nobody and at some point, everyone who knew of his existence dies and no one comes to see him, so he is forgotten.

In a way, the larger legacy you create in life, the longer you would probably interested in the afterlife - to the point that once you become a "great historic figure," you potentially create a potentially infinitely interesting afterlife.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also - I think people underestimate how long a couple hundred years is - especially when your time isn't taken up by work and other responsibilities.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

But really though, if you look at the math -

Take someone who is 100 years old -

At least 1/3 of their life is spend sleeping. Now you're down to 66 years.

At least 1/3 of their life is spent working/in school/development. Now you're down to 33 years (at best).

So the average person, AT BEST, has about 30 years worth of lived experiences that aren't work. If you can instantly experience anything you want, that takes away travel time and such. There's no person who doesn't run out of poo poo to do after a few hundred years. At that point there are no new experiences to be had. Also, you're an immortal being so there should be no detrimental aspects to your life. You never get sick. Your memory should be perfect. So even if you go around and do everything a second time, a third time, etc, I can't imagine being able to entertain myself beyond 500 years.

But it doesn't end at 500 years. It never ends.

Hence, brain zombies.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What about Derek?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I've been thinking more and more about this post. The problem is supposed to be that eventually you just do everything. Novelty runs out eventually. But shouldn't there also be infinite novelty itself? Infinite good seasons of your favorite show is just one example.

It's diminishing returns though. There's a big difference between 4 seasons of a show and 100 seasons of a show. There's far less of a difference between 100 seasons of a show and 200 seasons of the same show. You can only add so much to something before it too becomes blasé.

The first few times I eat the most perfectly cooked steak dinner will be awesome. By the 100th time, it's just normal and boring.

There comes a point where nothing you can imagine would not be played out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ah. Are the Dead Sea scrolls the ones where Luke marries Mara Jade and Chewie dies by having a moon crash into him?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Death with dignity is a human rights necessity. Faced with a continual and inevitable degridation of one's faculties and quality of life, the option to cease consciousness - from a position of informed consent - ought to be an inalienable right. No spouse or parent or child or friend gets to tell me "no" if I'm looking at Alzheimer's and decide I don't want to deteriorate.

Yes, all death leaves people behind. But so do breakups. Human connections are fleeting and fragile and we do NOT owe each other unconditional, endless connection.

I think this is the most eloquent summary of why the show did succeed in sticking the landing with a message that is completely consistent with the rest of the show.

It reminds me of the Terry Pratchett documentary “Choosing to Die.”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's 100% suicide. Them finding a way to write it so that suicide is the "right choice" is irresponsible.

I think the piece that's not connecting for you is the "living a fulfilling (after)life" aspect. Suicide is untimely. Suicide, generally speaking, is people ending their existence because of the crushing weight of existence. People have different reasons for doing it, but we have such finite time on this planet that suicide always seems tragic.

With The Good Place, they literally have eternity. People are walking through the door because they can't handle afterlife, they're walking through the door because they've been able to live a thousand thousand lifetimes and they feel fulfilled. Complete.

I like the analogy to end of life euthanasia.

For comparison's sake, my mother had to care for my grandfather when he developed dementia after my grandmother's passing. For her, that was far harder to experience than had he just passed away peacefully. She has told me that if, when she is elderly, she develops dementia or alzheimers, she wishes to travel to a state where it is legal and go through with assisted euthanasia. I don't begrudge her this decision because the alternative is watching her deteriorate into a shadow of herself. When she passes, I would much prefer to remember her as someone who lives (and dies) by her own terms.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A bunch of goons dramatically missing the point of something? Well I never!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Literally Chidi's entire arc was becoming the kind of person who could ask his partner to let him put himself first, and do what he felt he needed to do. The moral of his character is that it is okay, good, and necessary to know your own needs and desires and to ask for others to respect them. And much of Eleanor's was becoming the kind of person who could let their partner go for the same reasons, with love and without resentment.

Yeah, like so many complaints people are having about the door being selfish and leaving people behind are literally examined in the episode with the Chidi/Eleanor scenes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Taear posted:

God dammit I know that, I'm not talking about that at all.
Hundreds and hundreds of years is OUR TIME but they don't have time like that in the afterlife, so either it's infinite time or people are entering there in our time. Hypatia has been in the afterlife for loads of beremies which is fine sure - but then how do new people enter the afterlife when hundreds of beremies has no relevance to real time but people also enter in real time?

It doesn't fit and it makes it annoying to me.

If it was like Narnia say where time just goes slower then sure okay. But it's not, time flows and new people enter in sequence in the same way they die in reality. So Hypatia arrived before Chidi arrived after Henry VIII and etc. Time is linear, but at the same time it's not.

As I said earlier it feels like the afterlife in total is a theme park that has really defined and quite limiting rules, it's not very much of a paradise. Maybe 3000 beremies feels like 2 billion years (and therefore humanity is extinct) but honestly who knows and that makes it harder for me to kinda feel the story.

Your posts suck and you’re missing the point of everything. Stop focusing on the things that don’t actually matter in the show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I would argue that no action on earth, even the worst of the worst, deserves eternal damnation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

Don't forget that the I in 'Jeremy Bearimy' is like the whole month of February. Or is it the other way around?

It's Tuesday.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I know the scientific length of the unit.

One bearimy = a really long time.

Anyone trying to be more specific than that is a fraudster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I love how Walt was important or wait no he wasn't.

Or how the smoke monster would get explained, oh wait, this guy just got pushed into a hole and became the smoke monster?

Never has a show made me more angry than LOST.