Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Squidster posted:

I think the Bad Place smuggled in the Michael suit on the train, but hasn't replaced him yet. Gotta find the right moment to cause maximum havoc.

It'd be negligent of the writers to bring up the Michael suit and never use it again (it wasn't just a throwaway joke, it was a part of a major plot point that changed their circumstances), but yeah, I don't think this particular Checkov has been fired yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ooh, I like that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

More like he just recreated the movie “Defending Your Life”

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I could fully see the Good Place being a huge disappointment in some way. It might come down to simply being a meaningless existence for Team Cockroach after everything they've done.

EDIT: \/ that's what I mean. It's kind of a part of human nature to find joy in overcoming a challenge. A life without any challenge would be boring for most of us.

Yeah, I can imagine that the poorly conceived Micheal-is-jealous-of-Vicki plot is just a setup for the idea that these guys are going to hate endless light entertainment. A vacation from work is fun, but what's the point of existing if the molotov cocktails you throw won't explode?

I kind of like the idea that, ok, they fixed the bad place! Now it's time to fix the *good place*.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

No clue what they're going to do for an hour finale.

Are they just going to...kill themselves?

I can't seem them doing that, it's not the kind of thing that would get past S&P.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Maybe. Honestly, I don't see what was so wrong with the memory erasure idea. If it's done at the person's request, it no longer is a means of torture. And just because something was used for torture doesn't mean it's always wrong. Cutting people is used as torture but it also is used in surgery.

Plus, for a show that makes a big deal about 'what we owe to each other,' it seems really weird for it to come down on the side of 'when you're done, other people don't matter.' Or at least, matter less. I mean, poo poo, I'd love to talk with Hyapatia too. What if someone gets to the good place and wants to talk with her but, sorry, she erased herself from the universe, and that person is gone now? All her knowledge and who she was, gone? Not so good place.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 24, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

"I finally get to see grandma again!"

"Sorry kid, grandma decided she was sick of existing."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I just listened to the podcast, and at the end, they talk a little bit around it, but they pretty heavily imply that there's more to the final episode than just 'everyone is happy and then kills themselves.'

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's certainly a weird, kind of mixed message. Absolutely a weird note to end on. That said, there are technically two episodes left (call it one large episode if you like, it would still be split into two for syndication.) So I'm not ready to declare that it left a bad taste in my mouth just yet. And the title could mean anything, really. If the show continues to live up to its knack for being unpredictable but still fulfilling, then, as they say, everything will be fine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sure, I get that, but as I've said before, the major thesis of the show has always been "what we owe to each other" not "what's best for you." So for them to get to their destination and on a dime switch to "now that you're here, do what's best for you" is a jarring tonal shift that feels rushed and incomplete.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

If all the good place architects bailed, who's working with the bad place architects to continue to design the new afterlife scenarios? Wasn't that what was presented to us as the plan?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think the discussion is interesting, but I do want to clarify that the concept that people in the good place would be burnt out and be brain zombies after infinite pleasure is a good one, and a very natural place for the show to start mining stories from.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what felt off to me was the proposed solution - and not simply because the implication was effectively (and perhaps, actually) suicide, but rather because it seemed so counter to the message the show has been delivering for four seasons now, without even acknowledging that. And I also want to stress that this all could change on Thursday.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

"The good place was the suicide we committed once we got bored."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So, since we're all giving our opinions: My initial impression is very positive, and I think that was a lot better than I expected from the last episode. What seemed really jarring and fast last week felt like it had more time to breathe here, and 'the door' became more of a metaphor for death in the real world than it did for suicide. It helps that they really hammered home that going through the door was NOT about boredom, but about a sense of completeness. And they did lean on the "what we owe to each other" angle, and successfully turned it around by asking when we are being selfish with our needs. That's a neat trick. Also, it's pretty cool that they got NBC to spend the money to send them to Greece and Paris.

All in all, it ended about as well as it could have, which makes me happy, sad, and warm inside all at once. That's good TV.

Well, they're all dead now. What's the next TV thing?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The problem is that goons often go down a rabbit hole of trying to interpret things in an overly literal and mathematical manner, especially when it comes to humanities topics they aren't very familiar with.

Come on now, it's good to have conversations about media that brings up philosophical things like this, and having a wide range of opinions and attitudes is healthy. It's also useful to have a mixture of people experienced with the philosophical issues at hand as well as novices. Novices get to learn, and the experienced get to teach - and at the same time, one of the best ways to learn something is to teach it. Many things are rote, but you can and will encounter ideas or come up with ways of describing something that you haven't thought of before, or that puts what you know into new light.

Jumping in with blanket insults to belittle and demean those who aren't experts but are nonetheless having conversations in good faith isn't conducive to a healthy discourse. It also makes people more likely to resent your presence rather than appreciate it. I've seen your posts so far - I suspect you can do better.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 31, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think the show needed to make up a massive, complicated cosmology to explain every last detail about what was happening and how it all worked - they just needed to justify what they did show, in particular how it related to the main characters. And I think that, with the final episode, they did a very good job of doing that.

Abed posted:

"There is skill to it. More importantly, it has to be joyful, effortless, fun. TV defeats its own purpose when it's pushing an agenda, or trying to defeat other TV or being proud or ashamed of itself for existing. It's TV; it's comfort. It's a friend you've known so well, and for so long you just let it be with you, and it needs to be okay for it to have a bad day or phone in a day, and it needs to be okay for it to get on a boat with LeVar Burton and never come back. Because eventually, it all will."

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They never answered the biggest question:

what happens to people in the afterlife named "Janet?"