Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EL BROMANCE posted:

I tried to work this out for far too long before I thought of saying it out loud.

Idgi

I always thought that The Good Place had Sims vibes and Simone is going to do the thing where you don't give a poo poo at all and just dick around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The final twist is they're in the bad good place and need to go to the good good place

Heaven is relative

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snorting coke: +10000000000 points

silvergoose posted:

The best place, weren't you listening to that ash-hole

He'll be right all along, but he needs to go to the best best place

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sloth Life posted:

They are really leaning into Dumb Useless Jason more than ever. He thought putting Chidi and Simone together was a good idea! He stands by the bro code even when his world has fallen apart and does NOT leave Eleanor hanging. Show my dude some respect 😠

Jason is going to remember all 800+ resets somehow, become the Kwisatz Haderach, and throw the perfect molotov, saving humanity

The Jaguars will still lose

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xelkelvos posted:

Just drink water like a normal person. Perrier is some bougie poo poo that gets you bumped up in line for the guillotine

They'd already be dead what's that going to do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cemetry Gator posted:

One thing about Simone is that she might not be bad. It's established that the points system is whack, so maybe she doesn't have a huge personality flaw beyond that of a normal person.

Remember, she's there because the bad place wanted to gently caress with Team Cockroach.

Before she died, the apocalypse happened and she became the most nightmarish warlord along the Fury Road

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the other hand she's right, most of them AREN'T real people

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

boo_radley posted:

I want to see the billion-reset version of Derek

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agronox posted:

Disappointed to not see dangling wind chimes

There is a joke early on in God Emperor of Dune about the God-worm emperor idly wondering what would happen if he attached a tiny dildo somewhere on himself and someone noticed and I can't help but think of that and wind chimes now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Invade and liberate the Bad Place, overthrow the afterlife.

Mutiny in heaven :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In an ironic twist of fate there actually is a Best Place and Brent actually does get to go there. Brent will have grown just enough to magnanimously convince the Best Place to let everyone else stay in the Medium Place.

The Bad Place will be just as confused about it as everyone else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Powers posted:

But where does Brett go?

Hell most likely

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Hobo posted:

God makes an appearance in the final episode, turns out he's almost exactly like Brent. In fact, he seems identical in every way aside from a different colored polo shirt. Turns out all of human history was God's attempt to create the perfect golfing partner in His own image, and now that Brent exists, humanity can come to an end. Brent goes with God to the Best Place, which is a beautiful golf course of infinite size, to spend eternity golfing and talking about how hot stewardess uniforms used to be.

Everyone else disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdvbslUnruU&t=72s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CapnAndy posted:

Making war on heaven to overthrow an unjust regime is and has always been the logical endpoint of this series and I am so loving down for it

Chidi the Doom Slayer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like other than for the spiteful gently caress you of them not existing anymore Shaun should be on Team Cockroach's side on this one if only because the Bad Place would have nothing to do for a few billion years as opposed to torturing fewer people for shorter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the idea of the universe just spontaneously generating New Yorkers even though the Earth hasn't actually formed yet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1glitch0 posted:

They have a lot to get through in the last four episodes. My theory is Patty is the name our Janet chooses for herself as she recreates the universe.

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are Bortles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"You guys, THIS is the Good Place!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet Machiavelli is there somehow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

assuming that the final act will place team cockroach against the good place management, ... how do you win against an opponent that wants to let you win?

...Instantly?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conclusions posted:

I don’t know why, but I assumed she died of natural causes, and got sent to the bad place because EVERYONE goes to the bad place.

Bearimy, y’all.

I still want the joke to be that war broke out and she became a feudal warlord or something insane like that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd be amazing if the very last scene is ten billion years later and the afterlife is empty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordiceius posted:

What if they go through the door and it’s just another level of existence and they’re basically doing the whole thing over with a Michael-like that is just on an even greater plane of existence. The Gooder Place does exist. And beyond that, there’s an even greater place of existence. For infinity.

Through the door Brent awaits them, smiling slightly condescendingly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The door's going to be a fakeout and lead to the other side of the room

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klungar posted:

Those are the Dune Sea scrolls.

No those are the ones where the clone of Paul Atreides and the other clone of Paul Atreides fight each other and also a Terminator

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So that definitely means the afterlife will eventually empty forever one day right :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

Yes, but a Bearimy is circular, right?

I think you're best off not thinking about it too much.

The Judge could always find the remote again after she's done with her ten millionth rewatch of Justified

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The weird thing is that the door doesn't need to exist because there's obviously more than one answer as Tahani showed and what she chose wasn't something they actually changed to allow

So the options are - become as an angel/demon, self-annihilate and return to the universe, Other, one person chose the first one, seemingly everybody else chooses the second one, no one really explores or considers anything else

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

I mean... they did. For literal untold amount of time. Jason wanted to play the perfect game of Madden which is far less important but he still spent an unknowable amount of time working on it before he felt complete.

Tahani found a reason not to go through the door but you're acting like that's forever and... it isn't. Tahani found her reason to keep improving herself but she may still find a reason to return to the door once she feels complete.

Again, we are shown only the smallest infinitesimal part of their lives. We are also shown that they *did* do other things. They didn't just get to the Good Place and then run right through the door.

He played the perfect game of Madden in the Good Place. The point is, there are clearly other things to do to move on from The Good Place, and always were, and apparently only Tahani actually considered it and as far as we know ever will

They don't even need the Return to Sender Door to leave the place!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Again, he played the Perfect Game Of Madden among god knows how many other things, including his relationship with his father and Janet.

Jason is not a complex or even a particularly ambitious person. He is straightforward and he is very happy with himself. Like yeah "lol Jason dumb" but also Jason is one of the most at-ease people in the entire cast. He reached his apothesis and he was okay with that. He only waited because he had something he wanted to do first. (And in doing so he quite literally became the monk he was jokingly assigned as, sitting quietly and alone and becoming one with the world around him.)

Likewise Tahani didn't change forever and now she'll never ever leave. She found something she wanted to do to improve herself and others and so she is doing it. Elanor and Chidi also did these things as we're shown onscreen. They just reached the point where they wanted to move on to something more than the Good Place could offer. You are talking like Tahani found the One Weird Trick and not... Tahani just found something more but someday she may get past that too, like she did all the other things she mastered.

The characters did so many things. They talk about them briefly and they sound amazing. They can't cover a near-infinite number of lifetimes in a single episode of a television show but they did their best.

You're not getting what I'm saying. The problem with the Good Place, as the show presented it, is they have limitless perfection and nothing to do with it, which gets pretty old after the first billion years. Except, they actually did have something to do with it. Tahani walked away from Endless Utopia to help other people. That wasn't a thing they fixed - someone always could have done it. There wasn't anything or anyone stopping Hypatia from putting down the milkshakes and doing the same, or something else. They always had the ability to move on from Perfection and do something meaningful instead.

To use your example, Tahani achieved apotheosis! She's a god now, and is actually exerting her power to the benefit of the souls in purgatory/training, like how Eleanor achieved godhood and self-destructed to send her positive vibes into the universe. Except, the former was always there to do. What else was?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

We literally saw Chidi (and IIRC Eleanor) helping onscreen. They also did that.

We see them helping in the Good Place. They kept doing different things in the Good Place. What I'm saying is, everyone in the Good Place always had the ability to leave it and help people or something else even, before that door got put in. They simply didn't do so. In other words, they put in a solution to a problem that wasn't there.

quote:

You frame it as "and they stopped helping people" when, again, the ending showed that they did move on from perfection and they did continue to help people, just in a form that transcended what we know.

No, I said pretty specifically that Eleanor's positive vibes/echoes/remnants/whatever go out into the universe. Tahani took a more active role in what she does with her godhood, a role that anyone there could have done from the start.

quote:

You are arguing they didn't show us the entirety of the character's afterlifetimes and thus clearly they never tried anything else when both onscreen and textual evidence shows otherwise. It wasn't 'the only choice.' It was the choice that felt right to them after everything they had done.

No, I'm arguing that the door was a solution for a problem no one really had

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 1, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Why are you approaching this as "Tahani discovered the SECRET TRUE ENDING"

quote:

Except, the former was always there to do. What else was?

I'm not, and I can't think of a better way to write my posts to make it more clear that I'm saying that the door didn't solve the problem because there wasn't a problem to actually solve, there was always at least one way to transcend. As for what Tahani does next, six billion years after she makes her first neighborhood (unless Michael just really sucked at it, he was interning a while lol), who knows? What's Eleanor going to do? Or the rest of the universe?

I feel like a better ending was the second to last episode, all in all. I liked the finale generally, but I feel like it just misses the mark. Leaving it as an unknown and the characters enjoying themselves before seeing what it is, eventually, felt more satisfying. The finale undermines itself, I think.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Promoted Pawn posted:

Brent had a brief moment of realization but that isn’t going to make him a good person in and of itself. They pointed out that the important thing was that he had become better by the end of the test even if he was still a long way from being good.

I thought he lost a point