Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
No complaints from me about the episode. Assuming Michael got switched it seems a bit lazy that Janet doesn't immediately notice, but she is verybusy and Linda's disguise was good enough to fool everyone before so :shrug:

Though I can't imagine what they can meaningfully do with it that doesn't end in "the Judge finds out and intervenes". I kind of expect the experiment will be over by the end of the next episode and there's some new storyline that jettisons the remaining newbies (except Simone).

Thanks for whoever mentioned the podcast, I'd forgotten about it since I wasn't interested in any of the between-season bonus episodes, better resubscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's on me because I've been spoiled by the general audio quality of podcasts these days and spoiled for choice with other podcast backlogs, but that most recent(?) episode of the podcast with the phone-in guest was tough, I gave up after a few minutes.

On the other hand, re-watching the episode, Jason's "not again!" at the exploding motorbike is still fantastic.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Jason's been pretty smart lately, who's wearing him as a suit?
:thunk:

I don't think I saw any of the twists coming - that it was Glenn, that Glenn would explode, that it was Bad Janet, and biggest of all, that we're four episodes in and the main plot is still on track (versus, say, last season's Jeremy Bearimy).

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
As pettily smug as it might be, I would be disappointed for the show to go "happy endings all round, except for Brent who ended up in the bad place after all". He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's not literally-infinite-torture bad.

Shut down the Bad Place, everyone goes to a 'Medium Place' limbo and is guided until they go to the Good Place. Which I realise means eventually Hitler goes to Heaven so the show probably won't go that way.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The Eleanor/Michael replay of the original twist and Brent's comeuppance was supremely satisfying, particularly because it was for a positive reason. I'm tempted to watch something else that actor has been in because I can't imagine him as not an rear end in a top hat.

It's not like it didn't happen before (season 2 had, what, 300 years of time skips) but the jumps here still feel strange. How realistic were the Janet babies? Were they so indistinguishable for the entire year that the real humans never twigged? Which now I write it out means they were what Wikipedia tells me are p-zombies, an unused opportunity for philosophical content. What's happened to Derek since he rebooted himself? Presumably nothing much, because it happened months ago. What happened in the scenes where everyone else got their memories back, what the hell did John do all year, how did Simone die...?

Rewatching episodes of Season 3 and I might be enjoying them more than I did when they were live, possibly because I'm not trying to interpret and guess everything and instead can sit back and enjoy the episode by itself.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

Humanity was always going to be saved in spite of Jen, not with any help from her.

:ssh: it's Gen, short for Hydrogen

Great episode. There was a moment I was sure Michael would bring up how he has become better, but no, I guessed wrong again.

The Good Place folk are a bit one-note! Mindy would have gone nuts if she'd actually made it there. (I guess she was off spending time with Derek during this episode...?)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

CaveGrinch posted:

Can we all give a massive thanks to Marc Evan Jackson? Uber-fan and incredible actor. When was the last time a performer has been such a fan and encyclopedic about a show? He may be the ACTUAL biggest fan of this little show that could, and he gets paid to do it.

I get that you're talking more about the podcast, but in this episode his gesture of disbelief about the lack of torture was hilarious (as was Timothy Olyphant kind-of agreeing with him for a moment, and his other interjections).

Jason had a lot of great moments in this one too. It's maybe not the most exciting or overall funny episode, but what's there is great.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's hopeless trying to guess where they're going to go, but here are some thoughts I have thought since that episode:

Most people will probably need a few tries, so does that make it weird that only your first life is actually on Earth and 'real'?

Does everyone go through the process by themselves, or in groups? Because, not like soulmates are real, but would Chidi recommend a system that would mean he'd never have met Eleanor?

Does the scoring system change? Is that still a fair way to count?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

When I saw the CYBERTRUCK billboard in Bad Janet's void I stood up from my chair and did an NFL touchdown dance. That is the hardest I have laughed at a joke in a long time. It is just perfection.

It's mostly been through Tahani's name-dropping, but I love that the show's references to Elon have almost entirely been mocking him. (video below is linked to one, it's not entirely random)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGdhS1H3L8&t=521s

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

ded posted:

They are going to wake up tomorrow and the entire good place is empty because everyone peaced out.

I was half expecting Chidi to announce the new plan, available now, and the entire audience vanishing a fraction of a second later

Was Hypatia the first real person who's shown up, and not just been referenced?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm just as impressed with Michael's story twist - a reason for why the Good Place people have been so ridiculously agreeable, it gets them out of the picture before that behaviour gets grating, and Michael gets his ultimate dream job, in the best/worst possible way. As in, he's now the boss of the Good Place without really earning it, which is fun drama, but it also means he has a real goal that isn't going to end.

Everyone's talking about the suicide door as the ending but somehow all the GP architects have vanished. Maybe he needs a few more...?

Edit: Not that it means anything, they could just make up any old number, but I hope we see how many points Eleanor has now. She's got to be literally #1 at this point.

uvar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 24, 2020

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

Timothy Olyphant was just a few weeks ago~

True! Technically a Janet simulation, he wasn't real in-universe, but close enough for me. What an unusual duo.

Oh duh, I forgot Larry Hemsworth's cameo

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

You'd think the Good Place could rewire your brain to where you don't get bored from the awesome things.

Or just go through that door where you can go to any point in history, real or imagined, and be ruler of your own Weed Orgasm Puppies nation for a few billion years. Then destroy it like you would in SimCity and start again.

The recent discussion has reminded me of an odd story I read a while back (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis_of_Prime_Intellect). Short version is that a program with laws like "don't harm humans" finds some physics loopholes, and to make its job easier rewrites the universe to turn it into this kind of heaven (except everyone is transferred immediately, there is no other level or 'real Earth').

Since all physical damage can be undone, a new hobby develops of designing, effectively, creative suicide methods. Then there's a problem later on where people discover they can have literally the most pleasure a human can perceive by getting the program to activate particular neurons, and do that forever ignoring all other input, which the program realises is basically suicide.

I don't necessarily recommend reading it and "fiction about paradise" must be one of the oldest topics, but it makes an interesting comparison since I can't see The Good Place getting too grim with one hour to go.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Beyond "I am satisfied" I don't think paragraphs of my half-thought opinions and highlights will add anything to the thread, except

"Shakespeare went through the door... everyone's talking about it" was my favourite individual line of this episode. Not the funniest, not the most important, but I like it and it says a lot about the world. Everyone is there (eventually). The ultimate door doesn't have or need a special name. It's being used. And even in paradise, people still like to gossip.

FWIW, I don't see the door as a metaphor for suicide at all. Don't really feel capable of arguing that position but I have no problems with it as a concept in the show.

Oh, and I'm assuming it was in this thread, thanks to whoever mentioned 'A Brief History of the Dead'. I haven't got very far into it yet but it's promising, even though I spoiled myself via Wikipedia on some of the plot points.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm now watching "What Dreams May Come " because I crave more fictional heavens and sadness. Thanks, Netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Edit: beaten