Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wylie posted:

The second he said it I had Mr. Owl from the old Tootsie Roll Pops commercial in my head.

Ha! Me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks, ants.

Thants.

This is nice and all, but honestly, what is it that makes The Good Place such a good show? It's a difficult question because it's impossible to describe. One might ask the same about birds: what are birds? We just don't know.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of want to see them get more creative when characters try to swear, like have them use phrases that never existed but the edited versions get the point across, like "Why don't you go shove a fork up your ash-hole?" No one ever uses gently caress like that, but with the way the good place/neighborhoods censor them, they could invent new ones.

You're right in that no one would ever say "go shove a gently caress up your rear end in a top hat," unless they are a poorly written character for whom English is clearly a second language. But, I could easily see someone saying "go shove a fork up your rear end," because of all the things that can go up a butthole, I'd imagine that a fork would be one of the worst.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I like that they went full Johnny Dangerously right from the start. That gag is funny in and of itself. Anyone remember this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxmkiy9txBE

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

I wish there was a way to find such data, an “engine,” if you will, wherein such information could be searched (it’s Kalpen Suresh Modi)

I get what you're going for here, but would it be so hard to just provide a helpful link?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pinwiz11 posted:

JANET

brad
dr scott
rocky

A missed opportunity, honestly. What I wouldn't give to have seen them do that routine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

JASON figured it out!?

... another missed opportunity. It would have been cool to see Shawn give a totally different read on the whole "Jason? Oh... this is a new low point. This one hurts." Or something. What can I say? I like callbacks.

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the closing lines:
Michael "Let's go get our girl back.."
Jason "Not a girl."

Also I like Michael's anxiety about his true form - he needs to realise that the Humans as they know him will probably accept any form - he wouldn't just be a juicy burning fire squid to them, he'd be the fire squid who worked tirelessly to help their entire species. If he was in a location far away from the neighborhood, his fear would be the only reason not to let his firey tentacles down. There'd be an initial shock, but they'd get over that once his tentacles ripped Shawn in half. Ted really sold that scene too with his voice breaking as he fears that he'll lose them just by describing his true form.

Yeah, the closing lines were cool. And Jason really cleans up well. But they'd have to get pretty far away from the neighborhood for Michael to take off his skin suit without alerting the Janetbabies. Didn't Michael say he's 6,000 feet tall? The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is 600 feet tall, and it doesn't glow. Even on a somewhat hazy day, you can see it over 10 miles away. I would imagine that something made of fire that was 10 times taller would be harder to miss.

... speaking of Janetbabies... was Bad Janet controlling them? Or have they been controlling themselves? Maybe Derek? Marble Janet?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

Nonbinary Janet is valid and canon

Not a Boolean.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

You're going down...

(puts on sunglasses and looks off-camera)

UNDAH

YEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Fixed that for ya.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: Humans are terrible. New Kids on the Block. Slavery. The prosecution rests.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

team overhead smash posted:

My theory for what happens which i will spoiler because it's so good you'll realise I'm right straight away:

Simone didn't get enough points to go to the good place because she didn't buy into it at all so her motivation was tainted.

John didn't get enough points to go to the good place because the increase from not being a gossip was balanced out by leaving Brent to die in a hole.

Brent will initially not get enough good points to get into the good place because he's a racist jerk who hasn't changed, but the soul squad will argue he was literally a few seconds away from a fundamental change and they'll get to allow the experiment to continue for a minute or two more. It turns out he's about to say "I'm sorry you're so jealous of my success" or something equally ignorant and douchey and still doesn't get enough points to get into the good place.

Following those reveals will chart the course of the next episode with the tension ramping up and the John reveal being the "oh-no, everything's gone wrong, what can we do" moment and the squad will think they're forked even as it moves on to Chidi and it's revealed that he's got enough to go to the good place as he's basically the perfect human being seeing as he constantly risked eternal happiness by helping Jason in secret and overcame his old flaw of not doing anything by punching a racist idiot and then rescuing a racist idiot from a whole (even though he knew it'd cost him his relationship); because 3 losses and 1 win makes it 3:1 to the demons so soul squad's lost, right. Except really that makes no sense as Jen will point out in the last minute twist. Although the rest of the individual humans didn't succeed, that Chidi did revealed that humans do have the potential to improve and become better people. No-one's ever said they have to succeed with all of the humans or even a majority. The afterlife system is overturned, the Bad Place is abolished and Chidi has saved humanity from eternal torment; retroactively making the mind wipe decision the correct one and possibly giving him more good place points than anyone in history.

Everyone lives happily ever after.

I think you mean "hole".

Other than that egregiously homophonic mistake, though, this would be entertaining to watch.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What did the one Janet say right before the commercial break? I rewound it several times and I just can't catch it. And of course there is no closed captioning.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Former Human posted:

You mean "I mostly send gifs of otters"?

Apparently, yeah. I thought I was hearing "otters" at the end, but I couldn't resolve anything else, so I wasn't sure I was even hearing that correctly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Vietnamwees posted:

REALLY curious to see how a 'tattoo fight' would work...

Well, it started back when Commander Chakotay talked poo poo about Mike Tyson....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

The way you consume media is the bad place

That's a little harsh. Maybe it's not so much the Bad Place as it is the Jeremy Bearimy.

Normy posted:

I wonder how a Bad Janet tries to prevent a reboot. Must be a full on attack. Begging would never be effective.

I like to think that instead of begging, she uses deceit and threats. For instance, when someone is about to reboot her, she tries to convince whoever it is that it won't work because she's rigged the button to... I don't know, blow up something important; or maybe it'll reset them instead, causing their existence to cease; or maybe it instead cures a really good child of cancer. You know, stuff that would give a demon pause.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

The SlowMoGuys channel on Youtube is great for seeing this. At the extreme framerates they will be recording something at daytime and the background still looks as dark as night.

Did you see the one where they went to that science place, and they were able to film the actual speed of light? (Or was that a different slow-mo channel?)

I wish there was a cheap camera that was affordable enough for me to play around with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Maybe what everyone thinks is the Good Place is actually a Michael-style experiment that worked perfectly, and its inhabitants are self-tortured by tedious, self-flagellating bureaucracy, and have been since the beginning of the dot in the "i" of the Jeremy Bearimy. They've been so expertly set up to torture themselves that they don't even have to be monitored anymore. It's almost like Stockholm Syndrome. That's why they can't really do anything about the news that the point system was unfair, other than planning on thinking about brainstorming up an idea exchange session, something that will take billions of years just for the panel selection process. And, suggesting that it could be handled that quickly causes them to quit the committee preemptively.

Michael has re-invented the wheel.

And the only Good Place? That's 30 Rock.

The show, not the building.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Besides, he's in the bad place, chewed too loudly.

Was it Plato that chewed too loudly?

Because... wasn't he a pederast?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
A fitting end. My wife was crying for about 77% of the episode, and I had to laugh at her very rudely to keep from choking up myself.

They ended it at the right time.

I almost didn't start watching this show. The advertisements looked, to me, like a giant, glowing sign that read "Hot Hot HOT GARBAGE!", but my wife had the remote, and there wasn't anything better on. I was not expecting that first twist, and I was hooked.

Bravo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Janet isn't going on without her friends. She straight-up told Jason that she's basically Dr. Manhattan when it comes to... experiencing... time....

... hey, anyone want to start a thread fight with the Watchmen bunch over which show did non-linear time, or Dr. Manhattan specifically, better?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
One thing I noticed right away was that Tahini stopped dropping names. That was a nice, subtle clue that she had really grown in the afterlife. Of course, she did drop one name right at the end, but everyone else lampshaded it, and she acknowleged that it was something that she deserved to be made fun of about.

It wasn't a huge thing, but I do like that they actually had her stopped dropping the names. She was doing that right up through the penultimate episode, so was a neat way to show some growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So, who gets into the Good Place in fewer Bearimies: Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, or Henry Ford?