Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello new thread.

I have a theory as to how it might end, but I am not sure if it has already been posted in the past.

I am wondering if they have never been in the good place, the medium place, the bad place, or even earth all this time. They have actually been in purgatory and absolutely everything they have been doing is actually working off their sins for either reincarnation or entry into the real good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Hey VG it looks like a post of yours from 2005 got lost in the system. Don't worry, it's come through now :)

Hahah you are everywhere I post! :)

Sorry is this an old theory I am regurgitating? I am always behind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Sorry I think you might've meant to post this in the LOST thread

Rarity posted:

The theory that we are the same person grows in credulance :thunkher:

It's a Lost joke :ssh:

Oh dear :( Many apologies, I have never seen it. Pretty sure it was on Sky One in the UK and I have never had satellite TV or cable tv, so never got to see tons of high name programs.

I remember people talking about it a lot though!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

In hindsight this show should have ended after the first season. The biggest problem is that it's just no longer funny.

This is quite a statement.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I watched the video of Michael's reaction when Jason figures it out because it makes me laugh so much which then led me to another video of the end of the new experiment with Brent and Chidi being told they are in the bad place and one of the comments really made me appreciate something else about the 4th series.

"Chidi's test was to prove that he could make a decision, which he did by getting his mind wiped.
Eleanor's test was about her selfishness, which she did by bringing Simone and Chidi together.
Tahani's test was with her vanity, she learned that she doesn't have to be centerstage and becoming friends with John.
Jason's test was impulse control. He shows this while saving Janet."

I know we have already seen the judge make a decision and do all the factors of what made Brent, John, Simone and Chidi better but man if I really like the above statements.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

While I'm intrigued by the idea of this all being their afterlife test, it doesn't really make sense of you look at some of the conversations between characters away from the humans.

I have just started listening to the podcast and this is a very salient point. In the first episode Michael Schur even says he went out of his way in the first season to never show Michael alone because it would not make sense to show him acting good when at the time he was not. He wanted to make sure the twist was preserved without any sort of gotchas like that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I half remembered the post I made on the first page and went back and checked it, and good lord. My plan for what I thought the fourth series was going to be about bears a strong resemblance to the new system they were designing in the most recent one. I am hoping for at least one more surprise though!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

One writer referenced an idea that had for season 1 that was “a game night gone bad” and Mike Shurr when discussing episode 13 tells a story about when nothing matters and elaborates by saying “When you’re making Pirates of the Caribbean 17...”

I was driving to work this morning listening to that exact episode and that made me do a double take too :D

Also I have not seen Parks and Recreation and when he was talking about actors being able to come up with stuff that it sometimes more perfect than what is written and then did the Chris Pratt/Andy Dwyer story about looking at the pc screen, the punchline had me in utter stitches with laughter. Goodness what a great joke that was :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really liked the idea that infinite pleasure means eventually your brain turns to mush as it is one of the biggest reasons I never understood religion when I was at school. I thought that infinite pleasure in heaven/infinite pain in hell would eventually get boring if I was still the human mind I was down here.

We can only deal with something so much until it becomes rote and so the concept of your eternity being determined by a few finite decades seemed weird and unfair - plus I was never really sure who was right when so many religions have differing philosophies. (I think if I had been religious, then it may have been Sikhism as when I visited their temple, the guy explaining the tenets and ideas made the most compelling argument of the five we had gone to).

I have no idea where the next episode is going to go, but I find the notion of being able to control your own existence a healthy and positive one. It feels as though that is what life generally is day to day, but a struggle to control yourself and your surroundings. The ultimate control of whether you exist was denied you at birth, so having it after death feels like the best stopping point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The episode turned me into a big old good mess and I loved it. It capped off a wonderful show in a thoughtful and human way. I cannot think of many shows that a) get to choose when to go out and b) stick the landing, but this one did.

I love that they (the characters) got to control their own finality. That is something that truly resonates with me. I mentioned earlier, but the idea of eternal happiness never really made sense (and still not entirely) so having some thousands of bearimys to experience everything good and reach a form of eternal peace sounds wonderful to me.

People who are saying in this thread, but you could do this and that and so forth are right. You, the poster saying it, could. You have not reached your point where you are content, and the show cannot essentially show multiple infinities of time other than the placard so we have to take it as read that all these things you came up with that they could still do they have done. They reached that happy completion and are ready to become the ocean again.

It is utterly beautiful and meaningful to me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is not a few thousand years, it is a few thousand Bearimys which is essentially infinite time.

This is the biggest part here, the length of time these characters are experiencing. There is no way to wrap your head around the lengths of time being experienced.