Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Probably Janet wasn't switched? Hard to say. The episode implied Janet was running everything so much that it would break if she left.

That might be how it gets revealed: the neighborhood starts to come apart because she's been taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

swickles posted:

The only thing about that theory which gives me pause is that so far every attempt by a demon to act good or play another has been comically inept.

I dunno, 318 of them did pretty well in season one. Although they may have stopped giving a poo poo in iteration two onwards.

I'd assume it's still Vicki in the suit: she was wearing it when Shaun showed it to us and she's a notable recurring who'd make sense to reintroduce like this.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Vicki specifically has an entire arc about wanting to be recognized for her acting ability

And wanting to run the neighbourhood and replace Michael.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

If Michael got swapped by Vicki, I hope he does a bad Australian accent at some point.

They can tie it in with a Simone joke.

Her accent didn't annoy me (am Aussie) this week because I legit didn't even register it as bad Aussie, it just sounded like one of the weird British accents.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wouldn't the best course of action be to telephone the Judge at this point?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, ADWD came out... holy poo poo, 8 years ago?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I miss chidi being part of the group dynamic. :( I know it's part of the endless shaking things up but it feels emptier without him. I hope he gets looped back in soon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 20, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, looking back at the issue they were originally having (they couldn't prove that humans could improve because Team Cockroach hadn't had their scores tracked) it really would've made more sense to just send the roaches back around for iteration 803, since they aced the first 802. But then that wouldn't make good TV.

When we see Michael's true form it better still be wearing a bow tie.

itry posted:

The bad place could also subotage the experiments repeatedly and hope they give up? Janet didn't seem to care either way. But for bad Janets not caring is their whole thing.

The Judge said anything else happens and Shaun is getting imprisoned. Well, she said she'd strap him to a chair and make him watch puppy videos, I assume she meant at least until this is over.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

I've said before I don't like him but if you cut him out of this episode altogether it would have been 100% the same.

They were reminding you of him so next week when they need him to start being Janet he's fresh in your mind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the end of the show Janet will remove all afterlife beings from their roles and take over reality as a new god.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume I'm not alone in guessing that the wierd jar conversation with Jason last week was setup for a Jeremy Bearemy time travel bit where they have to sneak around the past. It reminded me a bit of a season of Doctor Who where a few wierd out-of-tone conversions and continuity flubs ended up being the Doctor from the finale going back into earlier episodes.

Sloth Life posted:

Reincarnation is the end game. All those resets for Team C and Janet, maybe Genny will decide that we all get a few do overs before being consigned to the dump of the afterlife.

I've been thinking that that'd be a good way to deal with the kid issue, which they've been avoiding mentioning. 'Oh yeah, everyone who isn't an adult yet just gets sent around for another go.'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 23, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I rewound and watched 'touche' like five times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

Like in theory you could have a bad reason to do something but that something still gives you net more points - like with Mindy - but that doesn't make up for all the other stuff that removes your points.

Mindy didn't have a bad reason. She was high as a kite when she came up with it, but it was a genuine impulse to help.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I gotta say, them just saying 'oh I gave Elenor and Tahani their full memories back' kinda felt really skipped-over. Like, we've never seen them with more than a single version of memories, even eleanor only got a few glimpses in season 3, and now they got the full three hundred years back offscreen? I was expecting that to be a big deal, them remembering themselves doing things over and over and over and assimilating all the versions. You'd think it'd have a huge effect on their behavior and who they are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Next week, on the good place: they scale up the Demon Exploderer a hundred times and solve all their problems forever, human-style. :jihad:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 25, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

Her fatal flaw is that she is Australian.

You know, accent doesn't bother me, an Australian, because I genuinely just hear it as a bad cockney or other English accent, it's so far from being Aussie. To me, she's English.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Gotta think the judge will probably notice them blowing up parts of the region between Places.

I'm pretty sure they were in the medium place by then, just a thousand miles from Mindy's. The space between has always been depicted as structures or tracks in a black void.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I still think they made a major, major misstep with how they set up the experiment and wonder if they are going to address it. Especially with Brent: not only did they not give him any reason to think he shouldn't be there, they further played it up by implying to him he was one of the select few with the potential to go to Super Heaven. How is this guy at all supposed to think he needs to become a better person, except that the kind of people he wouldn't respect on earth are complaining to him?

On the other hand, them mollycoddling Brent doesn't bother me as much because they are obviously on a strict timeline, although I generally agree it's going to go south fast once someone starts forcefully questioning why they have to deal with racism in actual heaven.

Part of me thinks that Brent should've learned that he was also a 'mistake', but he probably wouldn't have been able to deal with it gracefully enough to start taking lessons, he'd just have a huge tantrum in front of the whole neighborhood and think he knows better than heaven.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interview with Schuur discussing Brent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zachack posted:

*Jason is imo an outlier and I don't think the show developed him correctly.

They've avoided addressing the big elephant in the room with Jason, which is a question of moral culpability for someone who's pretty clearly characterised as intellectually disabled. At this point it looks like they're just going to ignore it instead of ever getting to it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 4, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man I never got to see Mindy v Brent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t remember, where is Mindy?

Just hanging out in her house.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

My theory: The Judge (who claims to be neutral in all things but works to serve a system that uses infinite torture to punish finite sin and is therefore just as bad as Sean) will rule that the experiment failed. This would be the doom for all humanity, but at the last minute Bad Janet, who will have read Michael and Janet's book, will Voltron together with Janet, forming a Mega-Janet that will overturn the entire system.

Don't forget to include super-upgraded Derek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh Bad Janet was complaining about the bad reception at the start because she knew she might need to use the group text to tell all the other Janets to come back them up if things went south.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phenotype posted:

And then three minutes later they're sitting around a pool and Jason is shirtless and also jacked for some reason.

He's an EDM dancer who was pretty dedicated to his dance crew career, and he's not, like, as ridiculously jacked as Chidi is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 18, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Making war on heaven to overthrow an unjust regime is and has always been the logical endpoint of this series and I am so loving down for it

It's funny there are multiple serieses about that airing right now.

(since the His Dark Materials series just started and that's how that series ends)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I'm just surprised there aren't more Janets throughout the afterlife if that is indeed meant to be all of them.

The judge locked off the portals with one of those old car steering wheel locks after she closed them to stop Janet reopening them and letting more in.

JanetLock.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 16, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also going back to get that it always amazes me when I remember that Janet and Bad Janet are played by the same person, I don't even recognise her when she's acting as the other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the neutral Janets' zombie like stances. It's amazing that the manifesto seems to have even made them care enough about something to do something.

Well, Bad and Neutral may have bad attitudes, but they're still some of the smartest beings alive, and presumably believe they act in accordance with the afterlife system being just by their very design. A few thousand pages laying out solid evidence why it's not is exactly what you'd need, more than any appeals to emotion. Especially with the non-super-rebooted Janets that haven't developed enough to make moral judgements on their own.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 16, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I wish that when they were doing the slideshow of his various "soulmates", it included the guy who always had to go to the gym. I just really wanted that callback.

"This is your workout buddy, Chris."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a nerdy level it was neat seeing Janet replicate something in slow-mo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone suggested getting flashes of mazes Janets set up in their voids to slow down the judge as our team works and I want that especially including disco Janet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He mentioned he specifically picked out Tahani because her pride made her ideal for the experiment. There's probably a pool of arrivals floating in suspension that architects divvy up.

We know architects don't normally go to the neighborhoods, Michael was complaining about that when he came up with the idea for the experiment. They take files, draw up tortures to match them, and send them along.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 29, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I never get tired of random increasingly nonsensical 'good place' torture clips. The purple space bubble is one of my favourite gags of season 3.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think they'd do that because we've invested a lot into Michael's development and story as a character and it'd be unsatisfying at this point to just go 'nah it was all acting'. It's not like the end of Season 1 where he was still a bit of an NPC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aaaaa oh god the end approaches.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Azhais posted:

Stone Cold better be there

And/or Tahani's head on Stone Cold Steve Austin's body or vice versa.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the idea that maybe this isn't the perfect solution, sure. Maybe they can come up with ways so that nobody actually needs the new door. They've got infinity to work on it, and this team works well with new problems.

They've always flown from stopgap to stopgap, maybe this is just another stopgap, one to let existence hold on while they figure out what else they can do, because figuring out what the next solution will be never ends. Like Michael was saying, once you take on responsibility for something so monumental it's sisyphean, they're gonna keep rolling that boulder up a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing we are absolutely going to see next week is Kamilah (or possibly the parents) turning up and realising that the biggest thing they will ever be known for for all eternity is for being related to Tahani, Saviour of Existence.