Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RBA Starblade posted:

The final twist is they're in the bad good place and need to go to the good good place

Heaven is relative

The best place, weren't you listening to that ash-hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rarity posted:

This is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Linguistic shift where everyone eventually starts using "fork" as profanity and the censors have to change it again.

Legit heard people say heck and darn are bad words that kids shouldn't say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

The AV Club asked Michael Schur which characters in Game of Thrones that were based on Tahani.

They also have a screenshot that has a restaurant in the background named "Ponzu Scheme." Can we also see the return of "A Little Bit Chowder Now"?

With sushi arranged in a pyramid, of course.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Taear posted:

Just to repeat, she was 11 when the book was released dammit! That's assuming she's the same age as her actor, anyway.

Now they've captured bad Janet how do we still have a neighbourhood at all? That's my only question.

She's talking about the show. Which I think people explained to you already?

Also I was reading fantasy akin to asoiaf at age 11, what is your point?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Group morale sessions with active participation and no warning are in my opinion literal torture and should never ever be done to anyone unless yeah it's the bad place I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know if you're making fun or not, but everyone involved had deadlines that had to be met within hours and we couldn't go and do our work until we finished this stupid game, while also hearing rumors that payroll wasn't going to be covered for our checks, and I'm trying to draw a camel and get people to guess it so we can all try and go back to work. The Bad Place.

I'm not even remotely joking, a very close friend had something like this happen to her and she was kinda traumatized. gently caress this poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MikeJF posted:

At the end of the show Janet will remove all afterlife beings from their roles and take over reality as a new god.

Janet becomes god is, I'm pretty sure, something that has already been theorized.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The judge is a neutral burrito.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MikeJF posted:

You know, accent doesn't bother me, an Australian, because I genuinely just hear it as a bad cockney or other English accent, it's so far from being Aussie.

You're going down

down UNDAH

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That's silly, no-one in the Bad Place is a motorcycle transformer pope or sapient dress with machine guns or anything.

You have accepted Satan into your heart

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

In hindsight this show should have ended after the first season. The biggest problem is that it's just no longer funny.

Completely false and you have wrong opinions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Arkhipov never gets the same credit, either.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

8one6 posted:

The fact that there have been multiple "we came this loving close to nuclear Armageddon and only a single level head prevented it" events might be the best evidence for why there should be a Bad Place.

"a superior officer ordered nuclear Armageddon and a single level head disobeying orders prevented it" is the real kicker, of course.

Disobeying orders is negative points, presumably.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Why would Shawn want everything rebooted anyway since he delights so much in tormenting the stupid humans that exist now? He's basically advocating for the judge taking away all his toys.

He didn't actually seem happy about it, just gloating that Michael's plan still made him lose everything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Jason looks amazing in no shirt

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Started watching this on Netflix the other day. I enjoy it.

Don't watch the end of the first season before the rest of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean it's obviously farting

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Is the person that did this still around posting in this thread? Those were fun times.

Sure am! :haw:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Taear posted:

The way you consume media is the bad place

Can't really argue with that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tarlibone posted:

That's a little harsh. Maybe it's not so much the Bad Place as it is the Jeremy Bearimy.

:unsmith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seaborgium posted:

Netflix kind of fucks you on that, they have a very, very spoilery banner image for the show when you go to it.

My favorite banner image they've had for the show has to be the three cups of froyo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We haven't seen a single person in the good place right? Just the staff?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sure but we don't know if they have people Janets serving their every need, or a boring heavenscape with no pleasure allowed, or blissful oblivion, or what.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MaxieSatan posted:

Very Eternal Sunshine.

gently caress, that movie gave me nightmares.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The moment that always stands out to me is Jason figuring out they're in The Bad Place and Michael going,"....oh this one hurts...."

Same.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Medullah posted:

I really do still love the show, but I also kind of wish it'd only been one season. That twist in season one was just perfect, and everything since has been trying to live up to it.

Yeah but the first few episodes of season 2 were astounding.

And how could we exist without Jeremy Bearimy?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I like the idea of the good place people being the antagonists for the last bit. Fight against the neoliberals in charge of heaven.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This is why people hate moral philosophers.

(I actually really appreciate both of those posts)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Stupid theory: didn't they say people wouldn't have a clear memory of their past life, but would have 'a little voice' suggesting that actions might be good or bad? Isn't that a conscience? Are we living in the new system already?

All of this has happened before

Alternatively

There are no beginnings or endings to the turning of the wheel of time

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

But it was -a- beginning

Wait, the time knife is Callandor???

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I did like the text written with the time skip.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tsob posted:

What famous pre-15th Century people are they gonna look up once they get there? No way Chidi isn't going straight to meet some of his philosophy heroes.

Yeah right, like any of them made it into the good place.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they’re going to find out the Good Place has slipped completely into gross debauchery, and now they’ll have to fix that.

wait

wait there's something wrong with this premise

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

People have lived their good life on Earth and now they get consequence-free pleasure in eternity. Janet made a bag of cocaine for Mindy, so there’s clearly no limits on what a Janet will provide.

I'm objecting to the idea that there's something to fix

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That was a really uncomfortable episode, because it felt like everything was a trap.

AND THEN EVERYTHING WAS A TRAP

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

They'll kill themselves and end up in the exact same cycle, learning more and more every time.

Just like Janet!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like you could follow a train of thought in that the more of an impact you've made on the world, the longer you'd want to spend in The Good Place.

For example - Hypatia vs dude who cut his hand.

People, for the length of human existence would be interested in going back and meeting Hypatia and look how excited she was when someone new wanted to see her. So the bigger impact you make on earth, the more you make a name for yourself, the more interested people will be in meeting you in the afterlife and the more excitement you'll be able to have from meeting new people.

Dude who cut his hand is a random nobody and at some point, everyone who knew of his existence dies and no one comes to see him, so he is forgotten.

In a way, the larger legacy you create in life, the longer you would probably interested in the afterlife - to the point that once you become a "great historic figure," you potentially create a potentially infinitely interesting afterlife.

Sounds like the way it worked in Coco, in that the more people who remembered you the better off your afterlife was...and when no one remembered you, poof you're gone for good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Argue posted:

No, even in Coco, it was "we don't know where you go" when that happens. It's kind of funny when movies and shows about the afterlife imply the existence of an afterafterlife.

Well yeah, I was mostly talking about the specific similarity with regards to fame and a better afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I would prefer if they walked through the door and just spoke directly to the audience, informing us what we owe to each other and how to be a good person.

Okay yeah I'd be there for that