Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How long do you think eating bugs will be the new hot thing
This poll is closed.
one year 7 6.54%
two years 9 8.41%
five years 22 20.56%
a decade 6 5.61%
NEVER 6 5.61%
g o k u 57 53.27%
Total: 107 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
  • Food substitutions are commonplace regardless of your opinion of them. The dairy aisle in a small grocer is no longer just milk. It's oat, almond, soy, etc. Glutenless pastries, meatless meat, all common.
  • Regardless of political lines no one trusts a lot of our food either. The gaurdian has articles on how the same diet would make you less obese in the eighties.
  • I was all for just eating meat since everyone is going to eat meat anyway and thought my individual action would not have much impact on the environment, but half the excuse for burning the amazon down was beef production and now I can't bring myself to order a hamburger. Apparently I'm not the only one.
  • Since everyone wants to be healthy and wants the Earth to be okay, stranger and stranger food is appearing in stores and becoming acceptable to try at least once. Activated charcoal, activated almonds, dried aloe vera flakes, brownies made of chickpeas, chips made of seaweed, loving KOMBUCHA.
  • Not to mention the loving supplement aisles. Edible dirt, cordiceps, normal food like pepper or olive leafs or cranberry in a gel cap.

I'm giving it two years but I'm just too chicken to say one.
The food overton window is shifting and it hasn't gotten to bugs yet but it feels to me that it's just about time.
I think people are just about ready to get their protein from ant farms. Again, if they're willing to drink kombucha they can do anything.

And yes I know some ingredients we don't think about come from bugs but I'm talking about undisguised bug paste or fried ants or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

what

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I too recently browsed the most recently goldmined vegetarian vs carnivore gbs thread about bugs, OP.

Alternatively I like how spider eat things:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The kombucha mushroom people eating a termite mound all day.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chocolate covered insects have been a thing for a long time, i dont think they sell them at target but thats kind of a weird line to draw

also whats your deal with kombucha. its not really any weirder than, say, yogurt

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
What???? Maybe drink less during the day, OP.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think there's anything wrong with eating bugs. We could do with less mammal meat.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

thought this thread was gonna be about cricket flour, or more accessibility to getting food for a reptile/amphibian pet

but nope, op is just daydrunk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
No time at all.

You can buy them right now, they just come pre‐shredded and mixed with a bunch of inedible garbage like “flour”.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
you can already buy them at walmart

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I ordered a bowl of mixed fried bugs once when I lived in Okinawa. I think they were fried in fish oil or something but they were edible and tasted fine. Just make sure you pull the stinger and pincers off the scorpion and you've got good eatin'.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bugs ain't poo poo I can totally gently caress a bug up they nothin'. :mad:

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
For real, I'm thinking of trying to get into this type of business on the ground floor, but I need to figure out which bugs taste the best or at least work as good filler. I mean, I've had crickets and a few types of ants, but I hear some spiders are really good. Almost everything I hear bout grubs is bad. Anybody have tips on where to start, or also into this type of work?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

For North America it's probably realistically like 30+ years before insects became culturally acceptable to eat. You basically need an entire generation to die off and another one to grow up eating them as a normal meal.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

but babies taste the best :cry:

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Away all Goats posted:

For North America it's probably realistically like 30+ years before insects became culturally acceptable to eat. You basically need an entire generation to die off and another one to grow up eating them as a normal meal.

If capitalism and global warming haven't killed off the entire planet by then, we'll have tubemeats anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mr. Dick posted:

If capitalism and global warming haven't killed off the entire planet by then, we'll have tubemeats anyway.

i got a head start on the whole tubemeat thing

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
you haven't tried deep fried tarantula OP? It's a cambodian delicacy

also like half of seafood is bugs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Private Cumshoe posted:

you haven't tried deep fried tarantula OP? It's a cambodian delicacy

also like half of seafood is bugs

It's an ugly ocean, a BUG ocean!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/D-sSw1jOqB0

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

what kind of dip poo poo shops for groceries at target

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I bet theres some Targets that have those dumb scorpion in a candy things up at the checkout aisle already, they're bugs if not insects.

kazr posted:

Do you think the grocery store gets the good bags of doritos? who gives a poo poo it's all the same trash

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Goons hate healthy sustainable tasty foods, news at 10.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Meat is the edible flesh of animals.

Insects are animals.

You're the guy that tries to order chicken teriyaki at Nobu.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Goons hate healthy sustainable tasty foods, news at 10.

Are they actually sustainable though? Serious question. Like obviously a bag of novelty edible crickets has a very minimal amount of environmental impact, but has there been any research on what impact harvesting insects would have if it was done on the scale required to feed a bunch of fat Americans?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Mummy Xzibit posted:

You're the guy that tries to order chicken teriyaki at Nobu.

what the gently caress does this even mean

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

feelix posted:

Are they actually sustainable though? Serious question. Like obviously a bag of novelty edible crickets has a very minimal amount of environmental impact, but has there been any research on what impact harvesting insects would have if it was done on the scale required to feed a bunch of fat Americans?

Yea it means your hovel will finally have fewer bugs in it.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
most bugs have terrible texture. i dont think westerners are gonna go for that over plant protein modified to have a normal meat texture.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Slimy yet satisfying!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Store bought kombucha tastes great.
The gently caress is wrong with you?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dont think you know what kombucha is OP

but i think cricket protein will be here in 5 years

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive eaten a deep fried scorpion

tasted like crackling

you do have to get over how it looks though

but its crunchy and savory

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also I have no problem eating bugs and you're a pussy if you do.

Most likely we'll see them used in protein supplement form similar to whey and you won't even know it's there. Just like you don't know you're already eating them now, since the FDA allows a certain percentage of all processed foods to contain them by necessity, since they get into everything.

This time it'll just be on purpose. You still won't notice.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

kazr posted:

a dip poo poo that likes high quality groceries?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Will some people take the moral high ground when it comes to eating bugs or do the rules not apply because they aren't cute animals?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah these people are called vegans

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Would vegans eat bugs though?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No they would have a moral opposition to it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

As if I'm going to pay for bugs when I can get them for free pretty much anywhere that garbage is left out or wherever a light is left on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I wanna eat the prettiest and most endangered butterfly there is :guinness:

Also thinking it might be time to start eating mosquitoes. You know give em some of their own medicine. Maybe also first prevent them from going to sleep with an annoying sound.