Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Is Joker really even an incel in this movie? I've only really paid attention to a couple of trailers but it seems like it's somewhat following the Killing Joke background more then anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Apparently he can't get laid and the ladies think he's a creep and he gets picked on in the 70s afaik. He's proto Incel, Ur-incel if you will

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is Joker really even an incel in this movie? I've only really paid attention to a couple of trailers but it seems like it's somewhat following the Killing Joke background more then anything

Not really. Looks like it's directly harkening back to poo poo like Taxi Driver more than anything, and regardless, comic books have always adapted their characters and narratives to address contemporary attitudes and issues so I feel like this isn't really all that controversial.

Regardless, having some kind of complex over the "integrity" of how they portray comic book characters is stupid as poo poo. Part of the reason Batman/Superman/Captain America bore the gently caress out of me is the obsession with keeping their core traits and attributes intact. It seems villains are altered to suit times and sensibilities while the heroes moulder off in shitland to be forever tedious and unimaginative.

What I'm saying is that it's good they're heavily loving with the character and making a grounded, relevant portrayal over sticking to some rigidly established version of the character.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I saw him kiss Domino in a tailer (the lady actor not the pizza)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i don't care that they are changing the origin, i just think it's loving riotously funny how targeted the new origin is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The Joker, 2019: Gamerz.. rise up!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

big nipples big life posted:

i don't care that they are changing the origin, i just think it's loving riotously funny how targeted the new origin is.

It looks like they're making him thoroughly pathetic so I doubt it's meant to empower so much as make it out it to be a unreasonable mindset.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

He's a mentally ill disaffected loner/loser/social outcast. While all of that is true of incels, in order to actually be an incel his rage must specifically concern his inability to get women. All incels are angry loners, but not all angry loners are incels.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

remember when the joker and alfred had a swordfight? joker got on the batpole to escape and got caught in a willy wonka time loop

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tom Gorman posted:

remember when the joker and alfred had a swordfight? joker got on the batpole to escape and got caught in a willy wonka time loop

The Joker pissed in Alfred's throat as a jape

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pfffff, what are incels gonna do. Run people over with their mobility scooters? Maybe tip their fedoras at them really hard? Perhaps even quoting dawkins at people?

Pathetic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

Pfffff, what are incels gonna do. Run people over with their mobility scooters? Maybe tip their fedoras at them really hard? Perhaps even quoting dawkins at people?

Pathetic.

unfrozen cave man poster here missed the last few years. incels have rifles now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Reminder that you can also buy The Joker for dlc in mortal kombat 11 the upcoming and can presumably horribly maim him as a result

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The real joke is how they keep making these Saturday morning cartoon characters more and more serious and dark with each iteration. They will never make another masterpiece like the Joker's boner crimes, or the 60s TV show. Or just a dumbass comedy like Batman and Robin. They can do that in Lego movies, but otherwise people just wouldn't accept it.

And that's terrible.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mooey Cow posted:

The real joke is how they keep making these Saturday morning cartoon characters more and more serious and dark with each iteration. They will never make another masterpiece like the Joker's boner crimes, or the 60s TV show. Or just a dumbass comedy like Batman and Robin. They can do that in Lego movies, but otherwise people just wouldn't accept it.

And that's terrible.

They can just hybridize like when Golden Age Batman lynched that guy with his Batplane.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Just what we needed, another tin can "controversy" about a mass-market superhero film that definitely doesn't seem designed to distract from DC's horrible box office batting average. I look forward to seeing this movie to stick it to self-righteous activist critics or not seeing it to stick it to entitled white misogynists

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Will there be a jar of piss in this movie?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Squashing Machine posted:

seem designed to distract from DC's horrible box office batting average.

I thought Batman movies were the kind of exception to this rule?

I know it's not a Batman movie but lets face it, a Joker movie is a Batman movie.

Any time batmans not on screen people should be asking 'wheres batman'

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I for one am glad that the incel youth will have a new pop culture role model to look up to that isn't Anakin loving Skywalker

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
perverted jedi fucks not-sister

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

joker is only cool as a foil to batman

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought Batman movies were the kind of exception to this rule?

I know it's not a Batman movie but lets face it, a Joker movie is a Batman movie.

Any time batmans not on screen people should be asking 'wheres batman'

I looked it up and loving Aquaman actually made 1.1 billion dollars, so who knows what is right in this crazy world anymore

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Away all Goats posted:

joker is only cool as a foil to batman

Hell most Batman villains only work when he's around because they're all so "what the gently caress?"
Mr. Freeze using the TAS backstory is probably the only one that could make for a successful standalone.

Brute Hole Force fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 25, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

He kisses a lady in the trailer and she seems to accept the advances. Really he's involuntarily insignificant. An ininsig if you will

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Two hours of The Joker screaming at Batman about Men's Rights while holding a folder of print-outs from reddit.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Finally we are free to mock our true oppressors: virgin nerds

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mega64 posted:

Two hours of The Joker screaming at Batman about Men's Rights while holding a folder of print-outs from reddit.

"You want to know how I got these emotional scars?"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

house of the dad posted:

Finally we are free to mock our true oppressors: virgin nerds

It's my turn, bb.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018
Did none of you goons like Taxi Driver or King of Comedy?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

are you talking to me?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

are you talking to me?

There's no one else here.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I bet the after credit scene is him getting arrested and sent to Arkham Asylum. Enter Dr. Harley Quinn.

Pops a boner. Fade to black.

e: she is played by the same actress who plays his mom.

Sierra Nevadan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 26, 2019

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Joker is what happens to any goon who cant handle being perm'd.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I don't think incels are nearly as large or dangerous as people are making them out to be. To me, they appear to be just the news media's current favorite bogey-men, in which a statistically insignificant number of cases are vastly blown out of proportion.
They might not be a large group but it doesn't take much to be dangerous. One of them killed a dozen people with a van and that's in a country with sane gun laws.

Fojar38 posted:

doesn't the jokers backstory change constantly depending on the circumstance because he is an unreliable narrator and it doesn't really matter how he became insane
I think of it as the Joker is meant to be pure malevolent chaos so you can make up whatever origin you want (and that's why the multiple "do you wanna know how I got these scars" stories in The Dark Knight really fit).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 26, 2019

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Did none of you goons like Taxi Driver or King of Comedy?

I've checked the discourse, and I'm sorry to report that the same internet hordes whipping up a moral panic about the joker also cancelled Scorcese several weeks ago (when he came up in the course of cancelling Tarantino).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dean of Swing posted:

Joker is what happens to any goon who cant handle being perm'd.

my hairs too short :(

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

I've checked the discourse, and I'm sorry to report that the same internet hordes whipping up a moral panic about the joker also cancelled Scorcese several weeks ago (when he came up in the course of cancelling Tarantino).

No more The Irishman? :(

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

the ushers can't stop you if you Naruto run through the aisles

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

life is becoming a meme. soon our world will be indistinguishable from 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
As long as he's not played as sympathetic this seems more like a slam dunk on incels to me

incel joker gets owned by chad batman despite all efforts to the contrary, a 90 minute educational picture