Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

CBMM is the best. I am an average-ish player (1.32 raw KD lifetime) and I got a 31 streak two nights ago on javelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Emron posted:

CBMM is the best. I am an average-ish player (1.32 raw KD lifetime) and I got a 31 streak two nights ago on javelin.

It's amazing.

The only downside is that it turns out the bottom 50% of players all play Control like it's Iron Banner.

Last season, my Control matches probably saw about 5 total captures per team per match.

This season? All 3 zones change hands every minute. Someone is always trying for the power play.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Is anyone else experiencing stick drift in the menus?

Whenever I pull up a menu to pick something, it’s like I’ve got janky controller stick drift for about one second. I’m playing a new elite series two bone controller and only experience the problem in the menus. It started around the last update.

Please tell me I don’t need to return this loving two bill controller.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you have an elite that's just your elite loving up. Don't worry it will get worse soon. Just returned mine the other week

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

If you have an elite that's just your elite loving up. Don't worry it will get worse soon. Just returned mine the other week

Series one or two?

I can’t get it to mess up outside of sudden Destiny menus.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Series 2, second one that's had issues within a month of receiving it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

Series 2, second one that's had issues within a month of receiving it

Hmmm...gonna have to boot up another game and see if I can recreate the problem. It's never happening when I'm controlling my character. It's like the "slow down" when you cursor over something is loving up.

To the Google!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I finally upgraded my synthesizer. What was I doing wrong? I wasn't loading the middling mote into the front. :stare:

Now I actually have a set of Gambit armor and the collector over shield comes in really handy. But the stats for that armor, even with mods, doesn't come close to my normal poo poo from the season passes.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
So I wanna get into this thing. Do I buy the thing that has Forsaken and Shadowkeep?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

apophenium posted:

So I wanna get into this thing. Do I buy the thing that has Forsaken and Shadowkeep?

You don't have to do that immediately, both of them introduce content you have to progress a ways before you can access anyway. Play the free version and see if you like being on the basic treadmill for a while.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

haveblue posted:

You don't have to do that immediately, both of them introduce content you have to progress a ways before you can access anyway. Play the free version and see if you like being on the basic treadmill for a while.

I did this in March when quarantine started and finally bought Forsaken and Shadowkeep in the past week or so. It took me that long to work through the free content to the point of hitting paywalls.

In my beginning attempts to reform myself out of single-player spergdom I did finally try crucible last night and because I don't have any good guns I mostly just got killed repeatedly. Back to knocking out lost sectors etc. on Io/Titan/Mars/Mercury before the snap.

edit- and grinding Escalation Protocol, gently caress

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2020

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Sex Hobbit posted:

In my beginning attempts to reform myself out of single-player spergdom I did finally try crucible last night and because I don't have any good guns I mostly just got killed repeatedly. Back to knocking out lost sectors etc. on Io/Titan/Mars/Mercury before the snap.

Even if you're terrible at PvP, you can do your 4 crucible core matches each week for the pinnacle engram - it's a near-guaranteed light level boost. Player skill is all over the place at the moment, so you won't be the worst on your team. And it doesn't matter if you win or lose the matches, you still get the reward.

For a reasonable PvP gun, grab a gnawing hunger autorifle from the current season stuff, pair it with the witherhoard, and play Contol. You'll be getting kills in no time.

The same goes with Gambit - 4 matches a week, win or lose, for a pinnacle. Prime goes a bit faster (and I rarely see anyone wearing the prime armour nowadays so if you don't have it it's no real handicap). If you're not actively trying to lose motes you probably won't be the worst on your team.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hobnob posted:

Even if you're terrible at PvP, you can do your 4 crucible core matches each week for the pinnacle engram - it's a near-guaranteed light level boost. Player skill is all over the place at the moment, so you won't be the worst on your team. And it doesn't matter if you win or lose the matches, you still get the reward.

For a reasonable PvP gun, grab a gnawing hunger autorifle from the current season stuff, pair it with the witherhoard, and play Contol. You'll be getting kills in no time.

The same goes with Gambit - 4 matches a week, win or lose, for a pinnacle. Prime goes a bit faster (and I rarely see anyone wearing the prime armour nowadays so if you don't have it it's no real handicap). If you're not actively trying to lose motes you probably won't be the worst on your team.

I play more Gambit Prime than Crucible and my only real complaint is how much of a loving bullet sponge invaders become. I pretty much always keep the void projectile exotic sword equipped, because the projectiles one shot invaders and I can quick get a lot of fire out in their direction.

I only wore my collector armor for the first time yesterday.

I'm not some Gambit God, but there is always an aggressively useless person on each team. Like the above said, if you aren't actively trying to lose motes you'll do fine. I think I lost a match yesterday where I banked 68 loving motes myself.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
ok I'm an extreme noob, I thought you had to be on a clan/team to do anything but Rumble? Does it work like Strikes or are you all just assuming I have friends?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Anything tagged "matchmaking enabled" with assemble a team for you, like strikes. That team may not be worth a poo poo, but chances are neither is the opposition's.

Having a clan/friend group will certainly let you do better, but almost nothing in the game actually requires you to *win* crucible matches. Just drop in, shoot the mans, watch the meters go up, sometimes fast, sometimes a bit slower.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You will matchmake for regular strikes, regular (not Survival) crucible, 1st and 2nd level difficulty nightfalls, gambit, gambit prime, menagerie, and forges.

I'm probably missing an obvious one. The big stuff you miss out on is really high difficulty strikes, all the loving raids, and comp crucible.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Log posted:

You will matchmake for regular strikes, regular (not Survival) crucible, 1st and 2nd level difficulty nightfalls, gambit, gambit prime, menagerie, and forges.

I'm probably missing an obvious one. The big stuff you miss out on is really high difficulty strikes, all the loving raids, and comp crucible.

I think you have comp confused with Trials. Comp even has a mode where no one is allowed to be in a fireteam.

The other things you don't matchmake for are dungeons and heroic menagerie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Paracelsus posted:

I think you have comp confused with Trials. Comp even has a mode where no one is allowed to be in a fireteam.

The other things you don't matchmake for are dungeons and heroic menagerie.

Bingo. I knew I was bumblefucking something.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m going to try playing this on console again so PVP might be playable. PC PVP is full of cheating stacks now.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

How do you guys tolerate these load times?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mill Village posted:

I upgraded to an SSD which helps tremendously.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mill Village posted:

The lighthouse loads faster than it does on pc at least

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
:vince:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Listerine posted:

I upgraded to an SSD which helps tremendously.

I did this on the Xbox and it literally makes me able to accomplish more in my nightly gaming sessions. I can zip from planet to planet without issue.

Sadly, the matchmake stuff is as slow as ever, because that only goes as fast as the weakest link. I also suspect the "speed" I'm able to match makes me constantly get thrown into matches where someone has dropped.

Do you know what brings me great pain? Sharding guns I've used for a year or more. Some of those Pinnacles (Exit Strategy, Exit Strategy, and Exit Strategy) are sorely missed. I still refuse to shard Randy's or the Recluse. I worked too hard for those fuckers.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Mill Village posted:

This is on sale. Cuts initial load time in half or better. Only takes 2-3 seconds to bring up inventory instead of 10-20 seconds...

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-500GB-External-Portable/dp/B083FF3PJ9/

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Any chance of getting the discord added to Goon Discord Network so we don't have to keep asking for invites?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mill Village posted:

I’m going to try playing this on console again so PVP might be playable. PC PVP is full of cheating stacks now.

Yeah iron banner was fun for the few rounds I played last night on PC.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I haven't played since forsaken and there are a ton more treadmills than before so I'm not 100% certain what I should be doing for the next two months. I bought shadowkeep. I assume I can shard every piece of old style armor? What about guns? I'm only like rank 12 or 13 on the season pass so I can't do much with that dodad that changes engrams. i'm not 1k+ power yet either but I'm pretty close. what should I be going for? what guns are hot poo poo?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I assume I can shard every piece of old style armor?

Year 1 armor (no mod slot, lets you change masterwork) is pretty worthless unless you're going for very esoteric builds, so yeah, you can toss it. Any Y1 stuff can be pulled back out of collections anyway.

Everything else is fully usable for the rest of the season; when the next season starts (November) anything earlier than season 9 won't be usable in endgame activities, specifically anything whose power cap is 1060.

quote:

What about guns? I'm only like rank 12 or 13 on the season pass so I can't do much with that dodad that changes engrams. i'm not 1k+ power yet either but I'm pretty close. what should I be going for? what guns are hot poo poo?

Once you get the engram thingy, try to get a good Gnawing Hunger, a good Night Watch, and a good Falling Guillotine. The one from the season pass is 75% of the way to perfect but you can get slightly better ones as drops. There are some other good guns that can come out of engrams too, like the Seventh Seraph SMG and shotgun; these are also the only ones that can use the Warmind Cell mechanic that some of the mods mention. Roll up a decent set of armor because what you have now is definitely going to get retired next season.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

haveblue posted:

Once you get the engram thingy, try to get a good Gnawing Hunger, a good Night Watch, and a good Falling Guillotine. The one from the season pass is 75% of the way to perfect but you can get slightly better ones as drops. There are some other good guns that can come out of engrams too, like the Seventh Seraph SMG and shotgun; these are also the only ones that can use the Warmind Cell mechanic that some of the mods mention. Roll up a decent set of armor because what you have now is definitely going to get retired next season.

What are the perks I should look for on a Falling Guillotine? I don't play with swords much but would like to make sure I get a decent one for the future.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Listerine posted:

What are the perks I should look for on a Falling Guillotine? I don't play with swords much but would like to make sure I get a decent one for the future.

The big one is whirlwind blade in the last slot. Relentless strikes in the third slot for boss DPS, although tireless is fine too and a little better for crowds of mobs. Swordmaster's guard, and jagged edge for that last little bit of extra DPS. Swords only have one masterwork stat.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

haveblue posted:

Year 1 armor (no mod slot, lets you change masterwork) is pretty worthless unless you're going for very esoteric builds, so yeah, you can toss it. Any Y1 stuff can be pulled back out of collections anyway.

Everything else is fully usable for the rest of the season; when the next season starts (November) anything earlier than season 9 won't be usable in endgame activities, specifically anything whose power cap is 1060.

Thanks! Are there any currencies I should avoid using excessively because they will carry over in November? Thinking things like whatever you use to increase the level of weapons and armor and the like. Is there an optimal stat loadout I should be aiming for with armor? Are those random rolls on same named stuff? Warlock has usually been my primary.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks! Are there any currencies I should avoid using excessively because they will carry over in November? Thinking things like whatever you use to increase the level of weapons and armor and the like. Is there an optimal stat loadout I should be aiming for with armor? Are those random rolls on same named stuff? Warlock has usually been my primary.

As far as I know nothing's been said definitively, but out of the materials phaseglass needles (Io), simulation seeds (Mercury), alkane dust (Titan), and seraphite (Mars) are all very likely to disappear, since those planets are going away next season. That means there's probably no point in keeping a stockpile of them. Bungie just love to introduce new currencies though, so who knows what will replace them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hobnob posted:

As far as I know nothing's been said definitively, but out of the materials phaseglass needles (Io), simulation seeds (Mercury), alkane dust (Titan), and seraphite (Mars) are all very likely to disappear, since those planets are going away next season. That means there's probably no point in keeping a stockpile of them. Bungie just love to introduce new currencies though, so who knows what will replace them.

Umbral Alkane Dust, Prime Umbral Alkane Dust, Prime Lesser Umbral Alkane Dust, Legendary Prime Alkane Dust...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Watch Spider become the sole source of those four and they become ten times as valuable

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Because I have 2-3k legendary shards at any time, I regularly convert them to mats. I have 2.5k of each mat.

It's going to be supremely irritating if they all become worthless.

:looks at 5k of the seasonal engram focusing mats:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

IS ANYONE EXCITED ABOUT THEIR THIRTY DOLLAR T-SHIRT?!?!? (Extra for a name printed on it)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Their what? Im more excited about the nazi skull ring im not buying either

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

Their what? Im more excited about the nazi skull ring im not buying either

:stare: I cannot unsee that now.

I think Destiny has their addiction metrics figured out perfectly. This game has been my nightly video game choice since Shadowkeep. I am at the point of wanting to find something new for lack of new content that isn't locked behind having a mic wearing team.

But a whole new expansion will reel me right back in. The question is, will my attention be held until then?

(The answer is yes. I will play until September.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

:stare: I cannot unsee that now.

Yeahhhhhh....