Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

MC Hawking posted:

I'm thinking something easy like "best 5rd group at 50yd with irons on a benched AR with a 8x11 bullseye" and a pistol setup with the same bullseye's at 15 and 25. If people have scoped ARs we could do a class for that too. Cheap booze sounds like a good win so let's play that card. Maybe singles of some good local $5/bottle beer? If I'd started my blackberry wine a couple months earlier I'd bring bottles of that as prizes 😂

22 spinner range doesn't really allow for that but there is a shorty rifle range we could use if we want to get fancy. I finished up my 10/22 stock and reassembled everything with proper grease so hopefully it'll be good for 600rds before nuking itself.

I'll be printing out a boatload of targets at work tomorrow.

I've got a big pile of professionally printed targets already that I can bring, so don't feel like you have to print enough for everyone. We'll need some printings of the monthly challenge target though.

For ammo I've currently got packed about ~1,000 22, ~1,000 38spl reloads, 7 loaded magazines of 223 for my HK33K, 12 loaded magazines for my MP5K. I will probably also throw in a box or two of shotgun shells because I'm going to bring my mixmaster 1897 too just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Just poking my head in to give you folk a reminder -

Take pictures! Goon shoot pictures are often treasured by future generations. It's also nice to get to see what everyone looks like once every few decades.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Log posted:

Take pictures! Goon shoot pictures are often treasured by future generations. It's also nice to get to see what everyone looks like once every few decades.

Nice try UNCLE SAM but I don't want no cyber gubment tracking me, no sir

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SpartanIvy posted:

Nice try UNCLE SAM but I don't want no cyber gubment tracking me, no sir

Me? A government agent?

:opens a cooing box labeled ďUS SECRET SPYING PIGEONSĒ and throws in a handful of seed:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

I don't have a shotgun but I have a box of 12ga that needs blasting.

You can probably pack 400 rds of .38 and be fine. 9mm , 223, and 22 is gonna be the big burner I expect. I have 600+ of 22, 500 of 9mm and about 200 in 223 I'm bringing.

That being said, if you're bringing friends make them grab a box or two of ammo to put in the pot. This poo poo ain't free and none of us are exactly made of money. If you're shooting a calibur outside of standard NATO: tell us now or be willing to absorb the extra few boxes cost.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 18, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Hi Captain log. I doubt it will be as good as the classic 2012 spring Goonshoot photo but I'll do what I can.

Edit : OH YEAH IF YOU HAVE A UNIVERSAL PISTOL MAG LOADER PLEASE BRING IT.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 18, 2019

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

MC Hawking posted:

I'm thinking something easy like "best 5rd group at 50yd with irons on a benched AR with a 8x11 bullseye" and a pistol setup with the same bullseye's at 15 and 25. If people have scoped ARs we could do a class for that too. Cheap booze sounds like a good win so let's play that card. Maybe singles of some good local $5/bottle beer? If I'd started my blackberry wine a couple months earlier I'd bring bottles of that as prizes 😂

22 spinner range doesn't really allow for that but there is a shorty rifle range we could use if we want to get fancy. I finished up my 10/22 stock and reassembled everything with proper grease so hopefully it'll be good for 600rds before nuking itself.

I'll be printing out a boatload of targets at work tomorrow.

Oh man, so you're saying I should bring my 18" AR with a 4-14x scope the hits .6moa at 200 yards for the 50 yard bullseye competition?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I feel like a real dingbat having only one gun and it being in 22 WMR

also, it's my birthday, and I may in fact be horribly hungover Sunday - so I'm now a maybe.
I have ~200 22 WMR kicking around so don't feel like you need to bring more for one oddball.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'll bring maybe 10-12 full AR mags and a bunch of Glock stuff. I've got a Ruger pc9 as well as two custom Glocks to use it all.

Ill also bring my galil ace 5.56 "pistol". It's a hoot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

L0cke17 posted:

I'll bring maybe 10-12 full AR mags and a bunch of Glock stuff. I've got a Ruger pc9 as well as two custom Glocks to use it all.

Ill also bring my galil ace 5.56 "pistol". It's a hoot.

wolfs posted:

I feel like a real dingbat having only one gun and it being in 22 WMR

also, it's my birthday, and I may in fact be horribly hungover Sunday - so I'm now a maybe.
I have ~200 22 WMR kicking around so don't feel like you need to bring more for one oddball.

I've never shot a 22 WMR so I will relish the opportunity to...if you can make it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Except I took the 1-4 off and am going back to a red dot because it wasnít worth it for anything I do.

Yes, that is a muzzle brake, yes the concussion is crazy, but the recoil is mild. Also that weighs more than my 3gun AR with all the bells and whistles attached because itís a milled steel receiver.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

I'm actually really interested in the Ruger pc9. That's been on my radar for a hot minute and I'm curious if it lives up to the hype.
Edit: we're talking about the pistol caliber carbine, right? The takedown one that came out last year?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

MC Hawking posted:

I'm actually really interested in the Ruger pc9. That's been on my radar for a hot minute and I'm curious if it lives up to the hype.
Edit: we're talking about the pistol caliber carbine, right? The takedown one that came out last year?

Yep!

Though I probably want to sell mine and pick up the one they just released that comes from the factory with a pistol grip and AR stock. Itll be way cheaper than buying an aftermarket chassis system.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

It is almost tomorrow my dudes.

I'm packing things up right now. I'm bringing 8 gats and a lot of ammo.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Hey gang! Looking forward to seeing you at the range. I'll have neon yellow laces. Don't forget sunscreen, water, and floppy hats. Gonna be a scorcher out there!

See ya around 1pm y'all.

Edit: they have bad earpro muffs so all appropriate safety gear is a good idea. Safety first!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 20, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I scouted the route on Google during the weekday when traffic is heavier and long story short I'm 2 hours early and chilling in Lockhart.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Cool me and Junkcollector will be on our way in about half an hour. Gotta get prizes.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Not gonna make it in from Houston, sorry to miss out. Take lots of pictures!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

me and a couple kidnappees friends will be heading out in ~30.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ill be at the range probably 1ish. Im in a Scion IQ with a massive pelican case that really looks like it wont fit

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I just parked here. I'm the fashionably out of place Miata.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

And that ladies and gentlemen was what I would call a successful Autumn Goonshoot.

Thank you for everyone showing up! Thank you for the stickers whomever that was! I look forward to our inaugural spring shoot, "Hellworld 2020: gotta laugh so you don't cry."

My vote for best rimfire goes to the Ruger MkIV with VQ trigger. That set the bar as the nicest trigger I've ever shot. Scary good. UNF!

My vote for neatest 9mm is as always, the classic, the one and only (may it never grow warm in the Cold War of our hearts) MP5

My vote for weirdest poo poo but coolest red dot is the physical embodiment of BLAM: the Gali.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

I liked the bolt action scoped rimfire and the .38 Spc/.357 Magnum lever rifle. Makes me want a lever rifle

Also I'm sorry, I forgot to take pictures . Sucks, too; there was quite a collection on the benches.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Davin Valkri posted:

Also I'm sorry, I forgot to take pictures . Sucks, too; there was quite a collection on the benches.

I do not accept that no pictures were taken.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Yeah I realized on the way back that we didn't take any pictures

I even thought about it like twice while shooting but then I was like "Well I might as well finish off this magazine first" and then I was distracted by something else.

I am sorry Captain Log, I failed you.

HOWEVER. We have now had TWO MP5's at the same shoot and that made my day

I can't argue with the MKIV being amazing to fire, the trigger was absolutely perfect, but I think my top rimfire pick is a tie between the Mossberg 46B and the integrally suppressed Ruger MK II. The bolt gun is just so satisfying and it was laser accurate. The suppressed MK II handled way better than I thought it would and it was soooo quiet. I loved it.

Top centerfire is a hard choice. I obviously love my own guns, and it feels like cheating to say the SP89 since it's pretty darn close to my MP5 Despite the muzzle break issue the Galil Ace was awesome. Very smooth operation and very accurate. That Ruger 9mm carbine was really nice except for the recoil impulse. It was accurate, had a nice trigger, AND it was a takedown model. All great things. But man that recoil sucked.

The AR15's were all very nice but I'm not much of an AR guy and they were all kind of the same to me which I know is probably heresy talk. I did enjoy checking out and using all their gizmos. They were all very light weight and now I understand that I will never be a gun gamer with my super fat HK33K but dang it I love it.

e: For those that were asking: My lever gun is a Rossi M92. The specific description in my order email is "M92 CARBINE 38/357 BLUE 8+1 16 RND". It is the wide loop style. Here's the page for it: https://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=181&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

e2: the cali-compliant AR the mag-dumping kid next to us had was of course, a Kel Tec https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/16091

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 21, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Not gonna lie I am totally zero focused on a mk4 now. That poo poo is freaking golden.

What was the red dot on the Gali? I really dig it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My galil pistol? It was a holosun 503c circle dot. I think they have a new version out. For the price it's one of the best ones I've ever used.

MC Hawking posted:

Not gonna lie I am totally zero focused on a mk4 now. That poo poo is freaking golden.

What was the red dot on the Gali? I really dig it.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

I'm loving these new bmags I scored. I always knew my terrible shooting skills would pay off one day.

I haven't done a Goon Thing in a bunch of years. Would gat it up again with y'all any time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames

Fun Shoe

Thanks for coming out bud! Nice tats BTW. Try and make it in spring :p:

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

I'll be there!

What was the universal mag-loader that got brought out? Cooper (the other bald dude) was interested in one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

That was my ETS rifle CAM loader. It doesn't work well with 308 but everything else I've tested has been good. Especially 9mm and 223.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mod edit: see below

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 28, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

Mod edit: see below

This is being addressed as we speak in the mod forum. Doxxing is hosed up and wonít be tolerated but we also canít have helldump style counter-poo poo. This blew up over night and a lot of admins and mods are just coming online. There were reports filed about it in another forum and were moving as quickly as possible to figure out what the gently caress and deal with it.

I donít like editing out posts but I need this issue to be settled before we have some kind of community judgement.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is being addressed as we speak in the mod forum. Doxxing is hosed up and won’t be tolerated but we also can’t have helldump style counter-poo poo. This blew up over night and a lot of admins and mods are just coming online. There were reports filed about it in another forum and were moving as quickly as possible to figure out what the gently caress and deal with it.

I don’t like editing out posts but I need this issue to be settled before we have some kind of community judgement.

People deserve to be warned, and it's a open and shut case. Perma, pass on the info to the parties involved, inform others who could be at risk. The part where the offending party hasn't eaten the permaban before their loving sixer ran out pisses me off. I ain't a fan of the helldump poo poo either, but when there's real potential risk of harm to folks, making sure they know matters

You'll also note I only mentioned the one clear cut example of doxxing from the thread in question because the user was dumb enough to do it openly. If you'd like to ask about the others(this is not the first time someone has been doxxed after posts in the other thread), hit me up with a PM.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Admins arenít on 24/7 and they need to approve permas. It happened in CSPAM and I donít know if their mods are online yet. The person who put through the sixer and edited out the doxxing info isnít even a CSPAM mod, just a D&D mod who has buttons there because itís a sub forum. This was literally some overnight bullshit and itís still morning on the East coast. Plus itís a work day and not everyone is on the forums at their job.

poo poo will get resolved. Iím working as hard as I can to make sure itís sooner rather than later.

Also whether or not this is a clear cut case (I donít want to comment on that for obvious reasons) I canít make forum policy based on the easy ones. I see why youíre pissed about this but from where I sit I need to think about situations where itís tenuous, potentially spurious accusations that people are trying to air all over the forum.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíve gotten a few PMs asking what the drama is about and how a TX goon might be implicated, especially as you all organize goon meets here. Iíll update this thread with the info once we have some resolution.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, all the mod poo poo went through so final update on this:

MC Hawking doxxed another TFR goon over in CSPAM, in the leftist gun thread. I'm not going to say who, because that isn't pertinent and I don't know if they want to be further dragged into it, but I will say that it wasn't someone who posts in this thread. The doxxing was over political poo poo, but it featured some very specific personal information to lend credence to the point they were making. All this poo poo happened last night at 2AM over in CSPAM, which is why it took until this morning for it to get resolved.

I want to be emphatic that doxxing is a red line on SA in general, and doubly so in TFR. This involved TFR posters but it happened over in CSPAM, which is why it was CSPAM mods who had to the actual mod activity.

My stance on doxxing is also why I edited Mohawk Satan's post. He was right in that this was pretty open and shut. The major issue wasn't some deep deliberation among the mods and admins, but finding people early in the AM who had the right tools and were available. As it stands it got taken care of pretty quickly. The reason I edited Mohawk Satan's post is because not all cases are 100% clear cut, not all of them require virtually no discussion among the mod team, and there isn't always an easy, clean call. Doubly so for poo poo like this that crosses forums, with people bringing grudges from one place over to somewhere else. We really, really don't want people rushing around the forums to helldump other posters because there's some transgression - real or imagined - that they believe everyone has a right to know about.

Again, let me reiterate that Mohawk Satan was right about this being a clear cut case, but as a mod I have to keep in mind the ones that aren't clear cut. Helldump was gotten rid of for a reason.

Finally, and I know this is kind of a downer because of what kind of thread this is, but be aware of what kind of information you give out online. This is a tight knit community but sometimes people change and sometimes people are just lovely. I'm not saying to go into full lockdown and never send a TFR person an email from an address you can't throw away, but think twice and just be aware of what you are doing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

RIP MC Hawking

A cool dude in person who made mistakes online.

Seriously though, you don't doxx others. Especially fellow gun havers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

RIP MC Hawking

A cool dude in person who made mistakes online.

Seriously though, you don't doxx others. Especially fellow gun havers.

Guess one of us will have to arrange the next one.

I think Iíll do it if work hasnít destroyed me in the spring. Maybe aim for April when the weather warms up again.