Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hailthefish posted:

Just watched it the other day, not bad. A little fanservice-y but not excessively. I don't really have anything to add that the thread hasn't said better.

I thought it was better than the Deadwood movie, in any case.

I was so bummed when I brought up Deadwood to stream and saw it was barely longer than an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was so bummed when I brought up Deadwood to stream and saw it was barely longer than an episode.

I mean it’s 110 minutes. That’s a totally normal length for a film. Barely longer than an episode would be like 70 minutes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I liked the Deadwood movie but I was expecting something closer to three ep length.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It felt like 3 episodes worth if B plots strung together to make a movie. That said, BrBa's b plots eclipse most shows a plots.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I haven’t watched Breaking Bad in forever and didn’t notice Fat Damon or old Aaron Paul or bad baldcap Bryan or anything like that.

Plus Fat Damon seems more menacing. Feels like there’s a lot more darkness (and red meat) inside him than the kid we saw in Breaking Bad.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Last Chance posted:

thought about this for a bit and ACTUALLY, shortly after "4 Days Out" (roughly where the new Walt scene in El Camino takes place), Walt is shown to be in remission and doing very well. Walt's lowest point with cancer was in Granite State / Felina where it's shown that he's become so thin that his wedding ring falls off.

A little late, but:

Walt is diagnosed with Radiation Pneumonitis (causing him to cough up blood, which he falsely attributes to a grim prognosis) shorty after "4 Days Out". At this point he has already seen his PET scan but has not received the official read. His (incorrect) layman interpretation of his imaging provides his motivation to cook the whole 'batch' of remaining Methylamine over one weekend.

He very much reaches an emotional nadir on that cook, believing his treatment was unsuccessful and that he will in fact die soon. Jesse consoles Walt in that episode by promising that he will make sure the money from the mega-cook will reach his family. What we see in the diner in El Camino is merely a repetition of that sentiment from the series.

It's actually really important that Walt reaches a low point here, because this is definitely Jesse's peak. He's not using and has started his relationship with Jane. Combo hasn't yet been killed, and Jesse hasn't performed any atrocities yet. He's wealthy and happy.

The excellent thing about Walt's advice in the diner - to obtain a business degree - is that it's selfish in nature. This is just before Walt pressures Jesse to expand into neighboring territories, which leads to Combo's killing. Walt's manipulative coercion when convincing Jesse to expand his dealers' range is cloaked in entrepreneurial language. If Walt does care about Jesse's future at all, he doesn't in El Camino - the diner advice is just part of his bid to get Jesse to sell their bonanza cook more quickly, before he dies.

Tellah fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 4, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tellah posted:

A little late, but:

Walt is diagnosed with Radiation Pneumonitis (causing him to cough up blood, which he falsely attributes to a grim prognosis) shorty after "4 Days Out". At this point he has already seen his PET scan but has not received the official read. His (incorrect) layman interpretation of his imaging provides his motivation to cook the whole 'batch' of remaining Methylamine over one weekend.

He very much reaches an emotional nadir on that cook, believing his treatment was unsuccessful and that he will in fact die soon. Jesse consoles Walt in that episode by promising that he will make sure the money from the mega-cook will reach his family. What we see in the diner in El Camino is merely a repetition of that sentiment from the series.

It's actually really important that Walt reaches a low point here, because this is definitely Jesse's peak. He's not using and has started his relationship with Jane. Combo hasn't yet been killed, and Jesse hasn't performed any atrocities yet. He's wealthy and happy.

The excellent thing about Walt's advice in the diner - to obtain a business degree - is that it's selfish in nature. This is just before Walt pressures Jesse to expand into neighboring territories, which leads to Combo's killing. Walt's manipulative coercion when convincing Jesse to expand his dealers' range is cloaked in entrepreneurial language. If Walt does care about Jesse's future at all, he doesn't in El Camino - the diner advice is just part of his bid to get Jesse to sell their bonanza cook more quickly, before he dies.

This is a great read on that scene, fuckin cheers! I love it.

Now can we get back to talking about how people look older when time passes?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tellah posted:

A little late, but:

My read's similar, but I'd say that this part is less about Walt wanting Jesse to learn how to make money for his family and more about Walt seeing Jesse as a younger version of himself. The scene's sign-off line, "You didn't have to wait your whole life to do something special" assumes that Jesse sees this experience as equally "special" as Walt does. Walt's advice to get a business degree only makes sense for Jesse if he actually had the ambition to build a business empire like Walt does, but he doesn't. At that point, Jesse treats cooking meth like a job, not a calling. This scene takes place just as Walt begins to see Jesse as a surrogate son (recall his conversation with John DeLancie in the bar), and so Walt sees what Jesse will go on to do as an extension of his own life's ambitions.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I thought I posted this, but there's a short making-of on netflix now. New appreciation for the design of Todd's crib

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just sat down to watch this last night. To echo most everyone's thoughts, I found it entertaining and cool to see the characters return one last time. (I was kind of shocked to see Jonathan Banks. For some reason, I had it in my head that he died a couple years ago.)

The big question I have is if I really missed anything by having never seen Better Call Saul. I don't plan on binging it any time soon, but I'm getting deployed next year and will need some stuff to keep me entertained if it is worth it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The big question I have is if I really missed anything by having never seen Better Call Saul. I don't plan on binging it any time soon, but I'm getting deployed next year and will need some stuff to keep me entertained if it is worth it.

I don't remember anything that ties into BCS, but BCS is great and I hope you enjoy it!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

Just sat down to watch this last night. To echo most everyone's thoughts, I found it entertaining and cool to see the characters return one last time. (I was kind of shocked to see Jonathan Banks. For some reason, I had it in my head that he died a couple years ago.)

BCS is a slow burn and perfect for any stretches of downtime on deployment.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Definitely worth it, BCS is a really good show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I miss Better Call Saul and if this movie is why I have to wait until 2020 to see Season 5 of Jimmy McGill and Kim Wexler then well I gotta say it wasn't fuckin worth it at all.

Edit: Jimmy McGill is, objectively speaking, a far better written and more well realized character than Walter White.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pretty sure it had no effect on Better Call Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty sure it had no effect on Better Call Saul.

There is a good probability that it ate the production time enough to push the next BCS season to 2020.