Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Service launches November 19th, 2019 in United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Other countries to follow.

Here is what the Google Stadia console looks like:

"But wait! There's nothing there!" you're right. Because Stadia, a.k.a. Schrödinger's console, doesn't really have a "box" as such.

How is it a console:

It has its own versions of games and its own online ecosystem. This means you will need the Stadia version of game, even if you already own it on PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Switch.

How it isn't a console:

It's the most digital-only gaming platform to date, where all the game processing/rendering takes place on Google Cloud. As such, not only do you need internet, you need it to be particularly solid internet, especially if you want to game at 4K60, which has an estimated data usage of 35 megabits per second. This isn't ideal if you have any sort of monthly usage quota for your internet; even 1tb will be chewed through in about 65 hours of usage.

What makes it better than existing consoles and systems

- No expensive hardware to buy. A poo poo-tier $200 Wal-Mart refurb PC will play the games at the highest quality.
- The render quality is beyond what the current generation of consoles provides. Expect games to hit 4K60 as standard, with the first generation cloud systems running at around 10.5 teraflops, compared to the Xbox One X's 6 teraflops of power and PS4 Pro's 4.2 teraflops.
- Google's backend will be automatically upgraded over time as more demanding games start leveraging the extra power. There are future plans for 8K and 120fps when displays of that type start becoming more ubiquitous.
- As the games are running in cloud instances, they are always ready-to-boot, no install times or waiting for patches. Most games will launch within 5-10 seconds of selecting the icon.
- You can play the games across a myriad of devices including any computer that can run Chrome, tablets, phones, and piped to a TV using the Google Chromecast Ultra (note: the non-Ultra isn't supported) paired with a Stadia controller (the controller is required for using it with a Chromecast, but optional with other devices). Tablet and phone launch will be restricted at launch to Pixel 3 and 3a devices, with expansion to other devices planned for after launch. You can also trivially switch play between different devices.
- There will be some exclusive titles on the service, such as Gylt and Get Packed, that we know of so far. Some games will not be exclusive but will exclusive leverage the cloud power as well, for example Sega Football Manager will do advanced calculations on Stadia.

Gotchas with the system

- Persistent internet connectivity to Google's Cloud is a requirement for any gameplay. There is no avenue to play games if your internet is down or too slow.
- Unlike video streaming services like Netflix, ping times will be extremely important. If you have gigabit internet but a 500ms ping time, it's not going to be fun times for you. If you're speedrunner-tier sensitive to input delays, even fast internet may not be enough to make it palatable.
- A subscription fee of $12 a month is required for 4K60 quality. Post-launch in 2020, a free 1080p60 Stereo option will be available.
- Games on the service will be "full price", in other words the same prices as the PC and console versions. This doesn't sit well with many due to questions on what happens if Stadia gets shut down, especially since Google's track record for keeping services alive is pretty poor (although AFAIK they haven't killed anything that wasn't free).
- The system is region-restricted and will only be gradually rolled out
- Phil Harrison is behind this system launch. His previous launches were the PS3 and Xbox One.

If all of this sounds good to you, the Founder's Edition bundle will set you back $129 and gets you the following:

- A Google Chromecast Ultra, which as standard includes a special AC adapter that has an ethernet jack built into it, if you want to wire in instead of using wireless.
- A limited edition midnight blue Stadia controller.
- A full copy of Destiny 2, including Forsaken, Shadowkeep and all sets of annual passes, for the Stadia platform. (you can import characters you played on another platform, however you can only play with other Stadia players)
- 3 months of Stadia Pro
- A "buddy pass" to give someone else 3 months of Stadia Pro, so they can play on their PC or Google Pixel 3/3a.
- Early reservation of your Stadia handle, possibly with some exclusive bling to it

When sold out, it will be replaced by the Premier Edition, which includes the following

- A Google Chromecast Ultra, which as standard includes a special AC adapter that has an ethernet jack built into it, if you want to wire in instead of using wireless.
- A standard white Stadia controller
- A full copy of Destiny 2, including Forsaken, Shadowkeep and all sets of annual passes, for the Stadia platform. (you can import characters you played on another platform, however you can only play with other Stadia players)
- 3 months of Stadia Pro

The controller

Basically a Dualshock 4 but instead of Share and Options buttons and Touchpads, it instead has four buttons. Will cost $89 by itself, available in the three colors shown (the founder's edition color is a fourth exclusive color).

The bandwidth

5mbps is a minimum, and gives you 720p, going up to 35mbps for full quality 4K.

The games

Available at launch
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (available through uPlay+)
Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Destiny 2: The Collection (included as part of the Stadia subscription)
Farming Simulator 19 Platinum Edition
Final Fantasy XV
Football Manager 2020 (Enhanced for Stadia)
GRID
Gylt (Stadia exclusive)
Just Dance 2020 (available through uPlay+)
Kine
Metro Exodus
Mortal Kombat 11
NBA 2K20
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Samurai Shodown (2019)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Thumper
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Trials Rising (available via uPlay+)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Available 2019

Borderlands 3 (a timed event is ending December 5th, I could see them waiting until that's done before launching)
Darksiders Genesis (likely first week of December)
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (available via uPlay+)

Other planned titles for 2020

Doom (2016)
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Destroy All Humans!
Doom Eternal (delayed to March 2020)
Get Packed (Exclusive to Stadia)
Gods and Monsters (available via uPlay+)
Kine
Orcs Must Die! 3 (Stadia Timed Exclusive)
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Superhot
The Crew 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (available via uPlay+)
Watch Dogs: Legion (available via uPlay+, has now been delayed to at least July 2020 on all platforms)
Windjammers 2

Multiple other studios, including EA, are committed to launching games on the platform, but haven't announced anything specific so far.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Google is doing 0 promotion for Stadia and therefore they will abandon it faster than you can say PSVITA

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have a 144hz monitor and I can’t stream the games at 144fps

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Overbite posted:

In one year you will be able to buy an nvidia card that supports 288fps

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
In one year stadia will be dead and buried as well.

gently caress you google, keep hangouts on you goddamn morons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Overbite posted:

Whoa, little rich boy (or girl?) over here.

limaCAT posted:

In one year stadia will be dead and buried as well.

gently caress you google, keep hangouts on you goddamn morons.

More like Hangout our users to dry. :haw:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Hell yeah, can't wait to post in this thread for before Stadia is available and also after it has been cancelled. So... let's say 2 years.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

Hell yeah, can't wait to post in this thread for before Stadia is available and also after it has been cancelled. So... let's say 2 years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't wait for the reddit posts from Comcast users who try this and end up with like 700 dollar bills.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't wait for the reddit posts from Comcast users who try this and end up with like 700 dollar bills.

Surely it must have happened already with people using other game streaming services like PS Now or remoting into their PS4.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

univbee posted:

Surely it must have happened already with people using other game streaming services like PS Now or remoting into their PS4.

or you know, netflix

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

or you know, netflix

It's absolutely happened with Netflix and YouTube and continues to happen to this day in huge numbers.

Hell a while back my wife's work was having trouble with their wifi and she disabled wifi outright on her phone, forgetting to turn it back on. Then she gave the phone to our babby son to poison his mind on YouTube (we were home). Four-ish hours later I get a text saying our cell provider has blocked us due to having generated $50 in overages (in Canada they're required by law to cut you off once your overage hits $50 and force you to specifically have it unblocked for the rest of the month). After that we explicitly turned off YT and Netflix's ability to work using cell data.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I just pay comcasts stupid rear end 50 dollar ransom for actually unlimited data which I'm sure is bullshit if I really tried to test it.

Before that it wasn't really Netflix/Hulu/PrimeVideo that would get us in trouble, it was Call of Duty and other games doing 80 gig updates every month. Streaming video services try to optimize as much as they can because that poo poo costs them money too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just pay comcasts stupid rear end 50 dollar ransom for actually unlimited data which I'm sure is bullshit if I really tried to test it.
In my experience they throttle you a little bit after like 100gb. No idea if theres a level further beyond.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi
honestly all this has to do is give me a way to play destiny in rooms that don't have my ps4, and when i travel for work, and i'm satisfied

they could literally not put out any other game and I'd be ok with it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Time to add a companion gif to this one:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Google Stadia, so totally forgottenpopular that it has two threads!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I wonder if this is going to live longer then the Oyua.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tetrabor posted:

Google Stadia, so totally forgottenpopular that it has two threads!

That's just lag causing double inputs.

Pushback on this definitely seems heavier than I was expecting, and I was already expecting a decent amount so it's probably dead in the water. I'm still getting a Founder's Edition since I want a Chromecast Ultra anyway, and that controller will likewise see some alternate use if needed. Game-wise even just Destiny 2 and the Ubisoft titles via uPlay+ are a good starting point; I probably won't get much more unless this thing works amazingly and becomes a runaway success.

Really I just want to stop having to pay Canadian prices on GPUs to play increasingly-flaky PC ports.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

univbee posted:

Pushback on this definitely seems heavier than I was expecting, and I was already expecting a decent amount so it's probably dead in the water. I'm still getting a Founder's Edition since I want a Chromecast Ultra anyway, and that controller will likewise see some alternate use if needed. Game-wise even just Destiny 2 and the Ubisoft titles via uPlay+ are a good starting point; I probably won't get much more unless this thing works amazingly and becomes a runaway success.

Really I just want to stop having to pay Canadian prices on GPUs to play increasingly-flaky PC ports.

I think if Google really wanted to take it seriously, they'd slap a 15-year service guarantee on each game in their service. That way you know your AAA game purchase wont disappear next year when they inevitably shutter the project because it didn't reach Apple-levels of success. I've just been burned by Google's app closures enough times to become cynical to their new product cycles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When Google did their Stadia press conference, they let the press play with it on a closed network and it had high latency and a low bitrate. Lots of performance issues. This was in Silicon Valley, the tech hub of the entire world. Stadia is another idea guy creation out of Silicon Valley that is completely out of touch with the rest of the world.

I was completely on board with this thing at one point. The closed beta last year showed a lot of promise, but since then Stadia's reveal has been a massive red flag.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the funny thing about google and the other big american tech companies is that they are fantastically wealthy but sufficiently hamhanded and disconnected from
the kinds of avenues of power that gently caress with infrastructure they can't even bend regulation or project themselves in to municipalities in such a way that their dumb pipedreams like steaming 4k gaming actually work.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
The latency is the hardest sell for me. No matter how much I read about it I won't believe it until I see it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ground floor motherfuckers!!! can't wait for this epic console to come out!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
With my 16MBit max. on DSL, I can barely play at 1080p60.

And there's even worse lines where I live in the rural region. I guess not a lot of people are gonna enjoy Stadia, if they're interested.

Nevermind multiple family members sharing a DSL line.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've spoken directly with Google and they say this console is already dead :rip:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

univbee posted:

As soon as they mentioned considering the idea of paying devs more money based on playtime, I could not have possibly wanted to get farther away from the Stadia.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
It blows my mind that Stadia hasn't already been canned, I cannot possibly see the service becoming popular enough to sustain itself. I'm extremely leery of any game-streaming service for a lot of reasons, and google expecting people to pay full price for "access" to a game on a service that may shut down at any time with no assurances of access to paid content is laughable. They've literally said "yeah we can't make any promises BUT we _promise_ we'll try our hardest not to shut down the service completely unnanounced and with no recourse". I've seen some special snowflakes make a comparison to Steam and I just cannot comprehend how you can be stupid enough to think the two services are in any way comparable. Steam is Valve's lifeblood; Stadia is just another dumb, disposable Google idea.

You can't mod the games, there will be no crossplay between stadia and non-stadia titles, bandwidth expectations are insane and latency is a factor that will never, ever go away. And every person who uses Stadia helps send a message that we're actually cool with the concept of game ownership being completely gutted, even further than it is already.

Who exactly is Stadia marketed towards? Idiots?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 29, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Basically.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i am suddenly reminded of the juicero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Google servers gonna squeeze the bits out of their hard drives so they come out faster.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I really never understood who Juicero was marketed towards. Like the segment of people who really care about juice, but wouldn't make their own must be tiny. Like a large part of being a juice weirdo is eating disorder level of control over your food, which goes against the whole idea of buying bags of processed juice goo.

Stadia, at least makes sense if dubious.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
*leans extremely close to mic* no thankyou *leans away*

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Thundercracker posted:

I really never understood who Juicero was marketed towards. Like the segment of people who really care about juice, but wouldn't make their own must be tiny. Like a large part of being a juice weirdo is eating disorder level of control over your food, which goes against the whole idea of buying bags of processed juice goo.

It’s pretty high, but we have solved this problem a long time ago, by selling juice in bottles/juiceboxes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Idc how big name, big budget this is. I'm getting Ouya vibes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thinking about it some more, the only reason I'd look at Stadia is if there'd be a scenario where e.g. Rockstar would release GTA6 on consoles and Stadia, but then do the usual PC version 6-12 months later. That still doesn't solve my bandwidth issue, tho.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

The new thing that rich dipshits in San Francisco are doing now is drinking unfiltered stream water and getting deadly parasites as a result. Coming as a surprise to literally no one else, water in America is not safe to drink.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Unfiltered stream water isn’t safe anywhere, but there’s also a startup to give young people’s blood to rich old people, so yeah, startup culture is bizarre and all around weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The HBO TV show, Silicon Valley, is a pretty hilarious look at everything wrong with startup / tech culture in California. Granted it's exaggerated, but its satire is also not far from the truth either and uses real world examples of terrible tech ideas to tell its jokes.