Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In this particular instance, we come to the intersection of Clan and race again, which is where it becomes a problem. On its own 'a supernatural entity's spiteful death curse is coming for you' is a cool concept - we've had it in plenty of films and novels in one form or another (the X-files episode 'Drive' for one particularly oWoDy example) because it is essentially just an invocation of nemesis in a rather dramatic and literal way. If it applied to the Ventrue rather than the Roma-coded Ravnos, I don't think we'd have the same 'oh gently caress's sake' issue, but there's legitimacy to critiquing the Clans on the basis of their ties to racial stereotypes and this is precisely one of those cases where the specific application falls straight into some very sticky and problematic territory even if the underlying device could be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yes, being chased around by a curse is cool. But, "no, it makes sense, because it is a magic curse" does not really free you from the burden of having your writing read and interpreted.

In particular, I would expect or at least not even blink at a Ravnos curse that had to do with their antedeluvian founder being loving Dead, but they reaaalllly blew their opportunity to do something cool or interesting with it.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 25, 2024