Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Octavo posted:

I hope maybe in a couple of years we'll see Tome of the Pentacle. I also hope DaveB sells his own imperial casting rules and other behind the scenes books on the storyteller's vault like Rose Bailey did for Requiem. He could sell them for like $30 each and I'd buy them.

Thanks, but there really isn’t much to sell. Rose’s vault books were the writer’s bible for Requiem2e cut in half, but I already put, like, a * lot* of the Mage one up as blogs back in the day. Ah, back before we all lost blog posting privileges. Them were the days.

I just resorted to muting most of my few remaining friends at OPP for a month on social media so I don’t have to see ads for the latest Ascension Kickstarter. At least it’s all nWoD being treated this way, not just Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Octavo posted:

M20 is in such a bad state that I hope M5 comes quickly to put an end to its current direction. I mean, it still won't be a positive development for Awakening, but I don't think anything is going to happen to revive Awakening.
Really, I think the reason that Paradox has skipped M5 is that it's going to be incredibly difficult to give the Traditions the treatment that the Masquerade clans got in V5, as detailed in the development blog: https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news/development-blog-defining-clans

The Traditions are in a really bad state, but "the game line kind of hates its protagonists" is, at least, a problem that existed well before Paradox bought the IP.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did Olivia Hill ever release the vampire setting she was talking about where vampires were gatherers that assembled herds and built communities instead of hunters?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

The Traditions are in a really bad state, but "the game line kind of hates its protagonists" is, at least, a problem that existed well before Paradox bought the IP.

Based on the interviews on Mage the Podcast, that problem developed as soon as Brucato started writing supplements for 1e and only got worse from there to the point that he recently referred to the Traditions as the real fascists of the setting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Octavo posted:

Every time I see M20 get a new lackluster supplement, I genuinely wish that Awakening were the more popular game with kickstarters and stretch goals giving life to the line.

This, but for the oWoD games.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

This, but for the oWoD games.

The problem with this is they’re only really going to come as 5th edition books and that’s a mixed bag.

I’ve made my peace with probably not getting much more for Awakening or the other Chronicle lines, just like I did when the oWoD to nWoD transition happened. There’s more than plenty of books to keep you busy playing oWoD for decades and not really a lot of gaps in content. I mean, printing delays mean I still haven’t gotten the Deviant print book yet and my group went a different way and we may never end up playing it at this point.

At least with Chronicles there’s space enough for more content without fishing for space or having to rework old stuff in the same edition, but they really don’t come out as quickly as they used to release.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jhet posted:

The problem with this is they’re only really going to come as 5th edition books and that’s a mixed bag.

I’ve made my peace with probably not getting much more for Awakening or the other Chronicle lines, just like I did when the oWoD to nWoD transition happened. There’s more than plenty of books to keep you busy playing oWoD for decades and not really a lot of gaps in content. I mean, printing delays mean I still haven’t gotten the Deviant print book yet and my group went a different way and we may never end up playing it at this point.

At least with Chronicles there’s space enough for more content without fishing for space or having to rework old stuff in the same edition, but they really don’t come out as quickly as they used to release.

No I meant I'm mad they're killing all nWoD for oWoD.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The irony isn't lost on me that Awakening 2E's yantra rules could probably do a better job depicting Ascension mages than anything in M20 or its supplements.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Joe Slowboat posted:

I have this exact same experience, and the idea that M20 is the more popular of the two fills me with bile.

Yeah but the Technocracy was cool. (M20 is bad)

The Traditions sorta always sucked.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Octavo posted:

Based on the interviews on Mage the Podcast, that problem developed as soon as Brucato started writing supplements for 1e and only got worse from there to the point that he recently referred to the Traditions as the real fascists of the setting.

Hell, this is hell, and I don't even go to M20.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Octavo posted:

If the Trads are bad and the Technos are bad and the Nephandi are worse then who precisely does brucato want you to play?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Thanks, but there really isn’t much to sell. Rose’s vault books were the writer’s bible for Requiem2e cut in half, but I already put, like, a * lot* of the Mage one up as blogs back in the day. Ah, back before we all lost blog posting privileges. Them were the days.

Loved reading those in the run up to Awakening 2e's release.

Kurieg posted:

If the Trads are bad and the Technos are bad and the Nephandi are worse then who precisely does brucato want you to play?

The Crafts aka the Disparates. No, none of them are more interesting to play than the Nine Mystic Traditions.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 24, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kurieg posted:

Bad guys.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Clearly it's a commentary on all Mages being terrible.

Octavo posted:

This was the thing about M20, there were no "good" and "bad" there was just various stripes of rear end in a top hat on both sides, all of whom took it upon themselves to think they were better than regular old mortals and non-magical beings. The salient theme of Ascension was always hubris, it was just one based on "We need to free everyone so that the cream of the crop can rise to the top" vs "humanity is weak and can't be trusted with free reign over the Pattern, its enlightenment must be a controlled process otherwise everything will fall apart."

Both sides had really, really lovely methods for pursuing these goals. Both sides had a few people that maybe kinda sorta weren't pieces of poo poo? Possibly? (but they still basically were)

It's 90s as gently caress. Everything is bad, everyone is terrible, it's okay to do lovely things as long as you look cool while doing it. That's Mage! :dukedog:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That's not correct, no. "Hubris" is not really a theme relevant to the question of whether people should live under a dictatorship or not and you're adding the libertarian stuff to the Traditionalist agenda post-facto. What we're seeing is pretty simple: Ascension is under the editorial control of a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool "better things aren't possible" liberals.

And you know what? Good. Let the oWoD suffer! They made their choice and they'll pay the price.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Remember when they said Apathy won the Ascension War? lol.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Do we have any hint of a release date for W5?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Octavo posted:

The Crafts aka the Disparates. No, none of them are more interesting to play than the Nine Mystic Traditions.

Alternately, Orphans.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Fuzz posted:

Clearly it's a commentary on all Mages being terrible.

This was the thing about M20, there were no "good" and "bad" there was just various stripes of rear end in a top hat on both sides, all of whom took it upon themselves to think they were better than regular old mortals and non-magical beings. The salient theme of Ascension was always hubris, it was just one based on "We need to free everyone so that the cream of the crop can rise to the top" vs "humanity is weak and can't be trusted with free reign over the Pattern, its enlightenment must be a controlled process otherwise everything will fall apart."

Both sides had really, really lovely methods for pursuing these goals. Both sides had a few people that maybe kinda sorta weren't pieces of poo poo? Possibly? (but they still basically were)

It's 90s as gently caress. Everything is bad, everyone is terrible, it's okay to do lovely things as long as you look cool while doing it. That's Mage! :dukedog:

It may be 90s as gently caress, but it wasn't in the original 93 game. Ascension 1e had a little diagram of the Technocrats as the static fascists, Mauraders as the dynamic reality terrorists trying to bring back the Mythic Ages (before they became the *I'm afraid of mental illness faction*), the Nephandi as the champions of entropy/the wyrm. The Traditions were textually the fulcrum between all these false paths: aka "Player Characters go here." Brucato started out with the reasonable idea that you need to give the Traditions some internal darkness for the PCs to strive against, but the metaplot quickly drove the story itself until the Traditions weren't the protagonists pulled in various directions, but were just as bad. Jesse Heinig and Malcolm Sheppard pulled back against this in Revised by unifying the Traditions with the Crafts and restarting the Technocracy's pogroms, but M20 wiped that all away by having the Crafts break away into a new "actually the good guys" faction.

Edit: this is, of course, a huge oversimplifcation of the way the metaplot worked in Mage.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 24, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stephenls posted:

Alternately, Orphans.

I mean, at that point, there's no game!

Which is ultimately what M20 did, of course. We started with the Ascension War to stop the Technocracy from telling people what to believe, but Mage Revised decided that the Ascension War was hubris and told people to pursue global Ascension instead. Then M20 decided that global Ascension was evil and to pursue personal Ascension instead.

Now that everybody is a protagonist and all the ideologies are equal, there's no reason to support anybody or do anything except seek union with your own navel. The game has eaten itself.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do they still try to promote beast at all or do they just kinda not acknowledge it, avoid mentioning it when they can, just moving on from that whole mess?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think deviant was the last cod Kickstarter

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FirstAidKite posted:

Do they still try to promote beast at all or do they just kinda not acknowledge it, avoid mentioning it when they can, just moving on from that whole mess?

It still gets crossover snippets of stuff here and there, but I don't think they're doing anything significant with it. IIRC the last "big" anythings for it were entries in Dark Eras 2 and then stuff in Contagion which was at best underwhelming for all involved.

Edit: The last real supplement appears to be the Players Guide at the start of 2018, though of course that kind of timeframe doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular when it comes to CoD.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 25, 2022

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You're all wrong. The one good mage faction is the Craftmasons.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ugh, another Technocracy fan.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Loomer posted:

You're all wrong. The one good mage faction is the Craftmasons.

You know what they say, the only good mage...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Rand Brittain posted:

You know what they say, the only good mage...

...is Mage the Awakening 2nd Edition

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

It still gets crossover snippets of stuff here and there, but I don't think they're doing anything significant with it.

Good, the longer they let it stay dead the better.

Still disappointed that beast ended up being uhh... beast, and not what I initially thought it'd be like. Being a living representation of a particular type of fear intended to protect humans from things they should reasonably be fearful of or punish those who would dangerously and recklessly risk their lives and the lives of others by trying to undermine the fear in a way that would get others hurt or killed.

In other words, basically Candyman.

e: like, not literally just Candyman since there are plenty of ways something like the Candyman stuff can already be adapted a bunch of splats. Just the idea of a legend that requires belief and respect to stay strong and its existence helps people by providing protection from one thing or another.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 25, 2022

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Ferrinus posted:

Ugh, another Technocracy fan.

Thems fighting words.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Craftmasowns.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Good, the longer they let it stay dead the better.

Still disappointed that beast ended up being uhh... beast, and not what I initially thought it'd be like. Being a living representation of a particular type of fear intended to protect humans from things they should reasonably be fearful of or punish those who would dangerously and recklessly risk their lives and the lives of others by trying to undermine the fear in a way that would get others hurt or killed.

In other words, basically Candyman.

e: like, not literally just Candyman since there are plenty of ways something like the Candyman stuff can already be adapted a bunch of splats. Just the idea of a legend that requires belief and respect to stay strong and its existence helps people by providing protection from one thing or another.
Isn't that a Changeling group?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Changeling group actually makes up fake legends to scare people away from dangerous places.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zereth posted:

Isn't that a Changeling group?

Yeah, last time I mentioned the idea someone in here said it was a type of changeling though I don't remember which kind. I still think it's an idea that could work well enough on its own with its own splat and exploration of the mechanics of the people whose powers are anchored to these kinds of urban legends and cautionary tales that serve some kind of protective purpose.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is like Chronicles of Darkness finished now or are there any new books in its future?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ZearothK posted:

Is like Chronicles of Darkness finished now or are there any new books in its future?

I don't think it looks good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ZearothK posted:

There’s been nothing new announced in ages, and nothing really in the preliminary stages on their development list. There’s 2e Mummy and the rest of the Deviant printing, and a Contagion Chronicles book. I don’t expect to ever see another book announcement for it. I’d guess that Paradox has quietly killed it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How often did new books usually come out? Deviant was only funded late 2019 so since funding it has only been 2 and a quarter years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jhet posted:

There’s been nothing new announced in ages, and nothing really in the preliminary stages on their development list. There’s 2e Mummy and the rest of the Deviant printing, and a Contagion Chronicles book. I don’t expect to ever see another book announcement for it. I’d guess that Paradox has quietly killed it.

To head off 'brand confusion' I expect.

They're still working on some books, like Kith and Kin for Changeling (which has been in development for what feels like years) but no, we're not getting new stuff soon if ever.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So Requiem died for V5? That's just sad, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

In fairness, I think it's broadly a super-slow era for actual big/relatively-big (like, more than someone flying solo on itch.io) ttrpg releases. V5's averaging what, a book or two a year? W5 is just whispers and rumors so far, same with H5? But at the same time, D&D5e's actual rules-bearing product offerings since launch have been anemic-to-the-point-of-bloodlessly-pale. But then you also get weird bursts of productivity out of OP like how Scion had a flurry of books in short order (Origin+Hero/Demigod/Masks+Dragon, etc.) out through KS, then whatever their It Came From... line is seems to have a new book every week. So it's weird.

I'll just be happy if the Changeling kiths book comes out while the year+ game I've been in is still going, and if the Deviant stretch goal material appears within my lifetime.