Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yeh best start believin' in horror threads....YER IN ONE!

It's time to celebrate the spooky season by rotting our brains with scary stuff.

The Three Mandatory Rules
:ghost: Watch a movie appropriate to the challenge
:ghost: Write a review
:ghost: Don't be a dick.

The only requirement is to watch a horror movie and then write about it. You can write a review, a list of thoughts you had while watching it, an analysis, essay or interpretation. You can post GIFs and screen grabs. The whole intention of this thread is to share what we're watching and our thoughts about it.

Honestly? Watching the movies is the easy part. It's finding something to say about them that gets difficult. But that's why it's a challenge!

:spooky: THE CHALLENGE ENDS ON THE 1ST OF NOVEMBER, @ 1PM EST :spooky:
You will have to have logged your final movie at this point. Final remarks and totals can be posted after 1PM, but new movies to add to your total will not be counted.

What Movies Can I Watch?
:ghost: Horror Movies
:ghost: Thrillers
:ghost: Horror Comedies (Tucker & Dale vs. Evil)
:ghost: Horror Musicals (Rocky Horror, Phantom of the Paradise)
:ghost: Movies Set During or Around Halloween (Hocus Pocus, The Guest)
:ghost: Documentaries
- about Halloween (The American Scream)
- about the supernatural
- about the horror genre (Horror Noire)
- about horror movies (Never Sleep Again)
-about a subject that is justifiably horror-related (The Act of Seeing with One’s Own Eyes, Cropsey)
:ghost: Family Friendly movies that meet the above requirements (Alvin & The Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein)

(If you have questions about whether or not a movie counts, feel free to ask me.)

What DOESN'T Count
:ghost: TV Shows
:ghost: mini-series
:ghost: Masters of Horror episodes

These are always a big grey area that create a lot of headaches of what's considered "fair", and it gets exhausting trying to pick and choose what is justifiable. I love Stephen King's The Storm of the Century, and Twin Peaks The Return, but the format is wildly inconsistent in length. It's a little unfair for someone to watch a 45 minute episode of Masters of Horror and it counts the same as Never Sleep Again, which is a four hour investment. It also creates the grey area of "Is ____ show a mini-series? Technically season 1 is self-contained." Let's just avoid it altogether. Please just watch something else. This is a FILM forum, so just stick with movies for the challenge.

There will be the inevitable naysayer who posts "I don't care what the rules say, I'm going to count Netflix's Marianne." First off, why do you want to be a dick like that? Just follow the loving rules. I probably won't call you out, but it will be ignored when it comes to tallying results for surprises, and it may just open you up to punishments. Consider this your warning. Just play nice and watch a movie instead.

Personal Goals & Challenges

The most common goal among participants is 31 movies, but there is no mandatory amount of films. You can participate with as much or as little enthusiasm as you want. You can watch as many movies as possible (We've had people literally watch hundreds! It was nuts.) However, people that meet the 31 film goal are eligible for rewards.

You can create any personal goals for yourself. Many use the challenge to catch up on movies that have been released through-out the year, some use it to finally watch that classic horror movie. You can use the challenge to watch all the films of a horror director, or an entire horror series you've been interested. You can concentrate on specific sub-genres like Creature Features or Giallos or Hammer produced films. You can watch films that are only new to you, or only rewatches. The possibilities are endless.

You can always ask for a wildcard or recommendation.

:iiam: There will be secret challenges announced through-out the month for those that want to be pushed outside of their comfort zones.

If you are working from a Letterboxd list, feel free to share it.

The Horror Thread has a Discord where group watches of horror movies are regularly scheduled

And with this post :siren: THE CHALLENGE HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN! :siren: You may start logging movies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:spooky: SCREAM STREAM THREAD :spooky:

THE SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE
#1. The Best Month
#2. Dead & Buried
#3. Horror Noire
#4. Inktober
#5. Tourist Trap
#6. Sometimes They Come Back
#7. Monster Mash-up
#8 Happy Holidays!
#9 Hackers
#10 Navel Gazing
#11 All Hail The King
#12 Cavalcade of Creepiness
#13 Maniac

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE RULES

:ghost: Each challenge will give you a prompt. Pick a movie that qualifies for the prompt. CHOOSE WISELY. A movie you may pick for this challenge may be a perfect fit for a different, more difficult challenge later on. You've been warned!
:ghost: Watch the movie and do your write up, just like you would with any other entry.
:ghost: YOU CAN ONLY USE A MOVIE FOR THE CHALLENGE ONCE.
:ghost: Make an EXPLICIT note that you're using it for that challenge. (Bold text, all capitals, sirens, etc.) Act like I am going to scroll through the entire thread in the last few days of the challenge looking for any indication that you completed all of the challenges.
:ghost: Die happy.

The Super Samhain Challenges are not mandatory. They are extra work. They can be difficult. You might log a movie only for a Super Samhain Challenge to be posted immediately after, and not be able to use it. I'm sorry. I'm not mean, these are just meant to be extra difficult so you watch more movies outside of your comfort zone.

RESOURCES

:cthulhu: CineD Horror Thread

:spooky: Films Shown on Lurdiak's Scream Stream

Slant's 100 Greatest Horror
IndieWire's Top 100 Horror
Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies
They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? Top 1000 Horror Films 2018 edition
Top 1000 Horror Movies Aggregated from Mentions In "Best of Horror" Lists
Scary Documentaries
Horror Movies by Gay Directors
The Video Nasties
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen

Franchescanado posted:

Need a quick recommendation? Here's a curated list of what the horror thread considers essential viewings to be a cool kid.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 28, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I doubt I can do 31 this year due to a bunch of poo poo, so my goal is 15 new-to-me movies.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Let's go!

I did 15 last year, but I'll try to do the full 31 this time around. I'll only be counting movies that I've never seen before, so no re-watches for me. Looking forward to discovering some new favs!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll be doing rewatches but hopefully most will be paired with something new. 31 at a minimum but I've never been able to break 60 so that is a secondary goal depending on how the month goes. First up later is Child's Play/Child's Play(2019)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Also gonna do 31, there will be a few rewatches in there but mostly it'll be first time watches. Also planning on doing all the Fran challenges!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm shooting for 31! Yay it's my favorite time of the year :neckbeard:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This song is playing as I greet all participants wandering into the thread, atop a mountain of DVDs and VHS tapes like Chernobog on Bald Mountain.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

You know, I was going to make my goal 20 but it isn't hard to burn through a bunch of movies on a low-key weekend, so I will do 31.

Personal goal: 85% of the total MUST be first time viewings!!!

I want no theme, unless you count randomness and insanity as a theme. This is gonna rule!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Aiming for 31, expecting to go over. Main focus (at least to start with) will be clearing out the pile of physical media horror I've bought but not yet watched. I'm including stuff I've seen before but either upgraded (e.g., a Blu-ray copy of Idle Hands to replace my DVD copy) or never previously had in hard copy form. Also gonna be some rewatches for the purpose of introducing my partner to horror that I'm very fond of and she's never seen. It's gonna be a fun month!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

My goal is to write at least a paragraph about every movie I watch. Hard to set a numerical goal, especially cause my partner can't really do horror movies so I gotta sneak away and find time to watch em, but I hope to do a significant amount.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

After much thought, this Ironman go, I'll be doing franchises. No repeats from viewings done last Ironman or the May challenge.

My goal is at minimum a franchise a week with sitting through at least two films a day. The definition of franchise that I'm using is original film + at least 2 sequels and any additional media such as games/comics/whatnot. Remakes/reboots will count towards franchise.

I'll do a write up on each film along with random musings on the particular franchise. I'll easily be going over the 31 film minimum.

Only exceptions to my franchise only viewing will be the Fran challenges.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sign me up

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's a distinct possibility this will be the last time I can spend an entire October watching spookadoodles so I'm in for 31. Rock and roll.

Gonna set up a letterboxd list today to keep myself honest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'll be doing at least 31 movies. I'm going to count both new and rewatches, though last year I managed to make it to 31 new on top of a number of rewatches, so we'll see. I'll also be doing all the Fran challenges. Of the new movies, I'm doing seven called shots to clear out some movies I own and haven't seen and the rest I'll figure out as I go: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Castle Freak, Gremlins 2, Phantasm, The Return of the Living Dead, Suspiria (1977), and Westworld. Phantasm won't actually be the version I own, though, since the neighborhood theater near me is doing a midnight show mid-October.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010
Put me down for (a minimum of) 31 new movies, plus any extras I end up watching. Going to be trying to pick as many films as possible from the They Shoot Zombies list.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My goal is 15 horror movies I own on bluray and haven't watched yet. I will likely watch a few others on shudder and streaming services but they won't towards my goal.

If I make it to 31 then I might figure out something to do to celebrate.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
This is the first one I've participated in, so I think I'm gonna aim for 31, with at least 15 being new-to-me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ll do my best to get 31 in.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting my first watch now...

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's been a bad year for my horror viewing, but I think it's time to get that under control. I'm in for a minimum of 31 new movies.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm in for 31. I'm going to try to focus on folk horror, witch movies, and horror with rural settings. I'll also be watching some new releases, organizing a couple of movie nights with friends, and going to local horror screenings (including a film festival that anyone in central NC should check out). I made a long rear end list of folk, rural, and witchy horror movies to pull from if anyone's going for a similar theme.

https://letterboxd.com/deety/list/to-watch-folk-rural-horror/

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

https://letterboxd.com/weeklyfont/list/something-awful-october-spook-a-doodle-challenge/

So this is a very loose roadmap for my challenge of 31 movies, but all of the fun of a road trip is knowing the beginning and the destination and figuring out how to get there. Mix of recommends, Shudder/Prime blind picks, stuff I want to rewatch and stuff I've apparently watched but have no memory of. Reserving the right, if I feel like writing about them, to audible in stuff from Scream Stream, or if a friend comes over and is like "show me something spooky" and I wanna watch Lake Mungo for the 15th time, or if the loving Lighthouse comes out anywhere near me in October.

Also if one of the randos is so bad I can't finish it, I don't plan on counting it but I'll write up why it was booty in the post for my next completed flick.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
31 films is the goal

I'll be doing almost all things that are new-to-me. Lots of classic things that I missed or just haven't gotten around to, esp Shudder essentials and Giallo.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m aiming for 31, but have no actual plans and will just watch what feels good. Plus catching up on a lot of 2019 horror I put off for this challenge.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

As someone who doesn't watch much horror, I really enjoyed this last year. It led me to discover giallo and the ones I got to were certainly a treat! Since then I have been building a list to aid me in this year's challenge. I did 42 movies last year so I'll be shooting for doing about the same this year. I'll only be counting movies I haven't seen. Looking over the Alamo Drafthouse schedules for October I might be able to knock 10 off in the theater which is always a plus. I also see one is doing Slumber Party Massacre 2, I may have to give that another shot since a crowded theater is always better than watching alone on a TV.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#1) Slave of the Cannibal God (1978), a.k.a., Prisoner of the Cannibal God, a.k.a., The Mountain of the Cannibal God, a.k.a., Mountain of the Cannibals, a.k.a., Primitive Desires

Starting off on a not-great note with this one. Picked it up at Half-Price Books, primarily because I couldn't find this particular edition (one from Code Red) listed on Amazon. While I haven't seen all that many Italian cannibal films, this felt like a lesser one. High point was absolutely Stacy Keach being rugged, foxy, and the best performance of the movie. Some animal fighting and deaths brought the fun down, and the focus on building a plot made me realize how little I care about that in this sub-genre. The film got very sexual in its last third, including Ursula Andress being completely oiled down, a native basically masturbating with legs spread to the camera, naked dry-humping, etc. Also a pretty short but solid castration scene. The end portion also included what was probably the most effective section to me, with a build-up of tension and wildness as the ceremony escalated. Still, not one I anticipate I'll rewatch anytime soon.

I guess my main fault with the film was how restrained it was, odd as it feels to say that about a movie in which someone's dick gets chopped off on-screen. Compared to Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, and Last Cannibal World, it just never seemed to reach those levels of intensity or derangement. I didn't see the twist coming, but I also can't say it made much of an impact on me. The restoration was quite nice (some blips and scratches were present, but rare), and I ended up a little disappointed that they didn't have a commentary for it. There're some interviews included, but I'll save those for another time.

:spooky: score: 6/10

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

31 films - main theme is "Houses of Horror" (movies with house, home or some other room or part of a house in the title) and the Amityville films from the 1979 original to the 2005 remake since I've never seen them and it's a pretty famous haunted house franchise (even though I know some of the later movies don't focus on the house BAH you humans and your puny details).

These are all new to me, so there are some ones that are pretty well-known that aren't on the list - Legend of Hell House is one of my faves, for example, so it won't be here.

Will also have some extra films thrown in here and there that don't fit the theme because I missed them in last October's challenge or new ones that I want to see.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
YESSSSS

31 movies, but I was having a hard time deciding what the personal goal should be. I'm doing Hooptober this year, so I'll be counting those here as well, but in the past I've done new-to-me movies. This time I'm going to relax that with:
- 10 new to me movies
- 10 rewatches
- 10 movies I have that I haven't watched yet
- 1 wildcard

There'll be some overlap there, but no movie can count for more than one of those categories, so hard decisions will be made.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm shooting for my usual 31 minus whatever I watched in September pre-thread so that turns out to be 23.

If anyone's curious as to what I did pre-thread:
Midsommar Director's Cut
Slumber party massacre
Friday the 13th
Slumber party massacre 2
Deep Red
Hellhouse llc 3
Dude bro party massacre 3
One cut of the dead

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Base goal of 31. No focus, this year. Unless one considers "tie up some loose ends and reduce the backlog" a goal.

Some specific items do feature, though:

- All four films in the [Rec] series. Itroduce a friend to the first.
- Score the Creature from the Black Lagoon set.
- All entries in the It's Alive series.
- Watch all three VHS films. Introduce a friend to the first if time.
- Watch every Phantasm we own starting at number two. Skipping one for the sake of time as I've seen it a fair few times.
- Finish the Frankenstein and Mummy Universal sets.
- Score and watch three to four Japanese films.
- If I get the Japanese/'Murkin Godzilla disc, watch both and compare.

Do our annual projector triple-feature the Saturday before Halloween. Programming complete and starting invitation design after work.

1) Ernest Scared Stupid
Food break and short (Trilogy of Terror pt. III)
2) Freaks
3) Dave Made a Maze
Note) Check new 14'x14' tarp cover thing to make sure all pieces are there and it'll work. Clean screen. Replace screen with next paycheck after as it's getting worn. If time, buy a new tripod and devote the old junker to the projector night gear stash.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m going for 31 and will try to do count first time views only, unless any challenges necessitate a rewatch. I have Brightburn and Tales from the Hood out from the library so I’ll be starting with those.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hoping to do at least 31 films through October, though I’ll presumably be doing more. I’ve already been doing Hooptober on Letterboxd, of which I’ve watched 10 films. So 31 on top of what I’ve already seen. Here’s my list so far.

I got rid of my no sequels/remakes stipulation from last year, but these are all first watches only.

Here’s what I’ve seen so far:
Don’t Look Now
Faust: Love of the Damned
The Old Dark House
Cathy’s Curse
Q: The Winged Serpent
Tigers Are Not Afraid
The Funhouse
Dracula’s Daughter
The Psychotronic Man
Beyond The Darkness

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 27, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress it. I'm doing 31 this year, or will drive myself crazy trying. I've been going hard on horror since mid-August, but was mostly in the 50s and 60s with lots of Hammer and monster b-movies. So in October I'm going to focus on new-to-me titles, mostly 80s and early 90s stuff that I've been putting off forever, ideally more schlock than not. I'll throw in a few old favorites, too, but I'll try to do something like upper-20s of new stuff.

The ones I'm most looking forward to are the "biggies" that I've been holding off on forever. The first Evil Dead, Bride of Frankenstein, the original Dawn of the Dead, and Halloween III are my must-see flicks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hell yes.

Im going to shoot for the standard 31 this year, but I also have a specific personal challenge set going to try, ABCs of Horror; I'm going to watch a movie that starts with each letter of the alphabet in order, the challenge being that they're all going to be movies I've never seen before.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I try to use these challenges to watch things outside of my comfort zone. So for my first movie, I finally watched a movie that's been on my to-watch list for probably 15 years.

1. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

The film earns it's reputation for being disturbing and depraved. It is a film about pure hedonism and vulgar evil. There is no hope in Salò, there is no God in Salò.

There is a lot to think about with this film, beyond it's taboo cruelty. Salò is a world where the rich eats the poor. There is no law. The only way to succeed is to be enthralled with cruelty and find comfort in sadism. Not every person brought in as a captive remains a captive. By the end, some are now smiling and participants.

What I find most disturbing about this film is how it can be perceived now that people like Epstein have been exposed. Salò has the benefit of being a fictional film based on a novel by Marques de Sade. It's violence isn't real. There are moments where you can see actors break character in the background and giggle at the absurdity. With high definition, the chest that is being branded is clearly a latex piece a different color than the other skin. However, the ideas, the horrors it reveals and represents, of elites believing they are above the law and pursue any and every hosed up pleasure that can warm up their numb spirits, are sadly a terrible truth.

It is an incredibly well-made film. It's less gratuitous than, say, Gaspar Noe's Irreversible, in that the camera stays away from the violence. We see a character scalped, but it is a hundred yards away, and we only see it through the lens of binoculars. The film is full of nudity and appalling sexual stories, but it is never meant as titillating. It's detached, but it's never dismissive.

The performances are also incredible.

It wasn't an easy watch, but it is an important film that I can say I have seen. Probably won't be rewatching it, but it is deserving in it's acclaim.

Movies Watched: Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Rewatches:
Total: 1

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I have a bit more limited time throughout the week for movie watching so after some thought my goal is going to be 10 this year. No real theme, just a bunch of movies I've been meaning to watch:

Phantom of The Paradise
Candyman
Midsommar
Equinox
Hellraiser
Herzog's Nosferatu
Us
Peeping Tom
Knife+Heart
The Endless

Time or mood permitting l'll likely throw in a couple of other spur of the moment things too depending on what I can find on streaming. I intend to watch Phantom of The Paradise this weekend to start things off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally!

I did 31 years of 2017 to 1987 2 years ago. I did 31 years of 1986 to 1956 last year.

So it seems pretty self explanatory what I'm gonna do this year. Except then I realized a certain movie I was gunning for was actually older than those 31 years and did the math on my total and well... the goal became newly obvious...

1920 to 1955 plus I'll get in a 2019 movie so that I've officially covered 100 years over the last 3. That's the goal. That should get me past 31 new watches and my total from last year was 58 new, 64 total. We'll see if I can beat that this year.

I've been prepping this and recording/buying/cataloguing movies for 11 months so I am ready to go.

October 1st. None of this September cheating.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hell yeah, my favorite time of year. My tentative watchlist is here. There's a lot of rewatches since I just got a CRT and a bunch of horror VHS tapes, but I expect I'll go wildly off course with all the challenges. Also follow me on Letterboxd if you got it, always looking for more horror goons there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#2) Enter the Devil (1974), a.k.a., The Devil Obsession, a.k.a., The Sexorcist, a.k.a., The Tormented, a.k.a., The Eerie Midnight Horror Show

Sadly, this is nothing like RHPS, and it's not cool enough to earn the name The Sexorcist, either. Another HPB acquisition (under the last of those title variations), this turned out to be just an Italian mess of stuff lifted from Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist, and (of course) doesn't come close to either of those classics. Some cool dream horror and a groovy scene of white '70s dancing are the best parts of this, and the possession effects are done well enough (particularly the lacerated lips; less so the frothy vomit). Sadly, that's only about 25% of the film, and apart from those things, this is pretty disposable and forgettable movie.

It did remind me of Altered States a few times, with zooms into the evil icon's face during the dream scenes and murky religious iconography cropping up repeatedly. In the end, I'd lay more of the blame for the disappointing final product on the script, over the performances and filming. Things tended to feel like they were just falling from one scene into the next, which worked for the dream pieces, but not for the police bits and other 'grounded' scenes. If it had leaned further and longer into the dream stuff, there might be enough working in its favor to earn a recommendation. As it is, I might give this one more watch before selling it back to HPB or passing it on to someone else, but it'll need to be a while before I can forget how let down I felt at the end of this.

:spooky: score: 5/10