Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

[timg]https://lpix.org/3546031/The.Death.Of.Stalin.2017.720p.BluRay.x264-[YTS.AM].mp4_snapshot_00.59.15_[2019.09.28_00.31.26].jpg[/timg]

Been meaning on and off to start my own mafia game for a while. Finally getting to it. Found a sufficiently whimsical theme I like, that allowed me to use at least one of my role/action ideas.

Basic information

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things.
This is a not-entirely-vanilla game for 14-15 players. (read: 80+% of all actions that will happen will be common and normal. There will be some odd eggs in-between but nothing really game-changing)
We’ll be using Discord to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to that for the game.
Alignment changes are not part of this game.

General Mafia Rules stolen via Yami, via Natural 20, from Somberero

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. For the lurker mechanic for this game, anybody below 10 posts per day will be allowed to be lunched without ending the day. This will be announced by the mod.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to a Dead doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are backed by fakeclaims. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a Day Action, do not post under any circumstances until we post the result of the Action. Everyone else is good to keep going.

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.

Players:
  1. A Sometimes Food
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. b-minus1
  4. derp
  5. Epsilon Plus
  6. Hal Incandenza
  7. Jonathan Fisk
  8. Leith Maclaine
  9. Mr. Humalong
  10. Retro Futurist
  11. Sandwolf
  12. SolusLunes
  13. Squiggly
  14. Toalpaz
  15. Tommu

Replacements:
merk

Observers:
Max

Graveyard:

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Some party-endorsed entertainment, while we wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

play with us my posting pal

No convincing required, they're already conscripted.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Quick bump. Note that if the game doesn't fill, which might feasibly be due to me being mod, I am perfectly happy handing the reins to someone else for a final balance check + running the thing. For whatever it's worth I think there are a few neat ideas in here (that don't go too crazy). I think it's worth playing :) .

Dancer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 3, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The gears are set in motion. Will all players please join this Discord server.

https://discord.gg/UUFpPs

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This one shouldn't
https://discord.gg/65HyPc

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I already wondered if this would be necessary. A Yankee spy has infiltrated the Discord. Could you all please either post or PM me your Discord ID for verification.

edit: the invasion has been dealt with. I'm also fine assuming that things will go well from now on.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 4, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
(the last game I was in didn't do this check, and I assumed we all just trust this to go well)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Beep beep Hal and Solus join Discord please beep beep.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I am about to start the game. Thread will be temporarily locked. Please bear with me as it's my first time; it might be slower than you're used to.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
We all knew it had to happen some day, but it's too soon.

The Father of Nations has been taken from us by the cruel vicissitudes of fate. He who lead us through the harshest wars and winters, who kept us fed and protected, is now gone. What will happen to the Union? Who will end up leading us through these dark times? This will likely be decided soon...

The game begins.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Votefinder seems to not want to work with me right now, so here's me doing the thing by hand.

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (15): A Sometimes Food, Anomalous Amalgam, b-minus1, derp, Epsilon Plus, Hal Incandenza, Jonathan Fisk, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Humalong, Retro Futurist, Sandwolf, SolusLunes, Squiggly, Toalpaz, Tommu

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is October 08th, 2019 at 3 a.m. CEST -- that's in about 2 days, 23 hours.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Move along comrades, nothing to see here :v: .

(votefinder had a bug, this was a test to see if it's fixed).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, just a heads-up everyone that... well, everyone is currently underneath the lurk threshold of 10 posts per game day :v:. I am the last person to judge anyone if posting just doesn't work out, but please remember that a reckoning might come tomorrow.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Toalpaz, Vyacheslav Molotov, Anti-Party aligned roleblocker has been lynched.

quote:

You are Minister for Foreign Affairs Vyacheslav Molotov

Stalin stopped liking you after decades of loyalty, now he's dead and Beria says he killed him; your wife has been imprisoned for years but now she's back, you don't understand what's going on, you only know it's sheer chaos. You're just desperately trying to use your influence to stay alive. It seems like maybe being on Beria's side might be safest. He did get your wife back… or did he? You're just confused.

You are an Anti-Party aligned Roleblocker. As a night action, you may target a player. That player's night action will fail.

Night 1 begins, please send me your actions.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Jonathan Fisk, ???, ???-aligned ??? is nowhere to be found, and seems to have even vanished from the records.

Day 2 begins.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 8, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yes!

merk has replaced Tommu

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Can we get confirmation on this Dancer??

Double-confirmed with a cherry on top. merk has replaced Tommu

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Side-note and I am so sorry for continuing to forget things everyone: Free lynches are currently available on: Hal Incandenza, Retro Futurist, SolusLunes. If any of these players reach the lynch threshold, they will immediately be killed (though the flip will only happen at end of day).

Start of D2 postcounts:

Squiggly 32
Mr. Humalong 26
b-minus1 24
Sandwolf 22
EpsilonPlus 21
derp 19
Leith Maclaine 15
Anomalous Amalgam 15
A Sometimes Food 13
SolusLunes 8
Retro Futurist 7
Hal Incandenza 5
merk 1

Dancer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 9, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
A van approaches Sandwolf, and men with guns come out of it. Less than a minute later, neither Sandwolf nor the van are anywhere to be seen.

Sandwolf has been modkilled

Flip at day end.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
ASF is disappeared

Flip at end of day.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
:redhammer:

Sandwolf has been disappeared

quote:

You are Maria Yudina. You're a pianist (though a very good one).

You are a Party-alligned civilian. You used to teach Nikita Khrushchev's daughter.

--REDACTED-- --REDACTED-- --REDACTED--

A Sometimes Food has been disappeared

quote:

You are Polina Molotova. You have literally just been released from prison, and are otherwise entirely meaningless.

You are a Party-alligned civilian.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 11, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I had forgotten that it's good practice to post the end-of-day votecount. Move along, citizens.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Mr Humalong, ???, ???-aligned ??? is nowhere to be found, and seems to have even vanished from the records.

Day 3 begins.

No-one is eligible for free-lynch. Current post-counts are:
Squiggly 83
derp 56
Leith Maclaine 50
b-minus1 43
Hal Incandenza 44
SolusLunes 41
Epsilon Plus 36
merk 36
Anomalous Amalgam 35
Retro Futurist 24

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 11, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Epsilon Plus, ???, ???-aligned ???, is executed

In his lodgings are found piles upon piles of files that elucidate the identities of some other interesting people...

Epsilon Plus was Lavrentiy Beria, Anti-Party aligned File Arsonist

quote:

You are chief of the NKVD and member of the Presidium Lavrentiy Beria.

You are kinda the worst. Power-hungry ruthless mass-murderer with a side of serial rapist. You're currently one of the bigger fish in the post-Stalin Presidium pond, and you're trying to consolidate your power. Thankfully you also have a few puppets to do your bidding.

You are an Anti-Party aligned File Arsonist. As a night action you may EITHER target a player, stealing their files from the archives, making it so that their flip is janitored when they die OR you may burn all the files acquired thus far. Any non-burned files get returned to the archives upon your death (thus potentially un-janitoring earlier flips).

Since you were the first one to act upon Stalin's condition, you have a head start on everyone else. You start with the file of --REDACTED-- pre-stolen.

Mr. Humalong was Vasily Stalin, Party aligned Civilian

quote:

You are Vasily Stalin. You are Joseph Stalin's son. You like to think you matter. There was no airplane crash.

You are a Party-alligned civilian.

Jonathan Fisk was Georgy Zhukov, Party aligned Jailer

quote:

You are Big Boss-Man in Charge Georgy Zhukov.

You're the man. Germany personally surrendered to you. Who else can say that? Your military reputation extends even into civilian politics, giving you great power to Give No Fucks.

You are a Party-aligned Jailer. You may target a player every night as an active power. They will be secluded from any further gameplay interactions for the night.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Bonus Zhukov:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Pqkl1mL

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Everyone's still here.

Day 4 begins.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
merk has been lynched

quote:

You are Minister for Defence Aleksandr Vasilevsky

You're not the big brother Zhukov who personally accepted the surrender of Germany, but the surrender of Japan is kinda cool too, you guess. Still you're a bit jealous. You have a reasonably strong position as Minister for Defence, and you're not a big fan of Khrushchev. How bad can this Beria guy really be?

You are an Anti-Party alligned Unstoppable/Ninja. If you are the one performing the factional night-kill, you may choose one of the two modifiers to apply to it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Leith MacLaine has been found dead.

quote:

You are Presidium member Nikita Khrushchev.

The imperialist Yankees at the New York Times may consider you to be the weakest committee member, but you have big plans. Some other members are trying to limit you to administrative duties, but you have found a way to turn that to your advantage. You can only hope that your opponents sufficiently underestimate you so that you survive this power struggle you find yourself embroiled in...

You are a Party-aligned Administrator. You do not have an active power, but when someone who's supposed to receive a report ends up dead, the report comes to you instead. If a party-alligned power role is killed at night, you receive the full report on what they did in their final night.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Anomalous Amalgam has renounced his earlier Anti-Party intents, and has been moved to a random administrative post in Moldova

quote:

You are Leader of the Soviet Union Georgy Malenkov.

You're totally in charge. You may only have gotten this position literally today, but you're sure you'll make it more than 2 weeks. People listen to you, and you've managed to bring a bit of order and stability to the Presidium in these chaotic times. What could go wrong?

You are an Anti-Party aligned Vote Suppressor.

[this following bit would've been redacted if we weren't at end-game]
As a night action, you may target a player. That player will be warned that, on the following day:
- they are not allowed to vote
- they must in at least 3 posts praise the roles of the party apparatus and state security in safeguarding the Soviet people
- they must make at least one mention of the legacy of Stalin
- they may not reveal or discuss or even imply that they are under these restrictions.
Failure to correctly follow these instructions will cause them to immediately become Hated for the rest of the game. (they will not be informed of the exact nature of this punishment)

The game ends with a Party victory! слава ссср!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Brief design summary: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CrE-A4HvkzPCPUA3N5_ch3UGY2J0P7QIkF8b4YVRvuo/edit?usp=sharing
Role PMs & Night action details in the discord.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This game got rather messy at times, and the balance probably wasn't great (though I maintain scum also just got a really bad start). I hope some of you still managed to have some fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Plain boring old Hated, that's all.