Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Have you heard of a little game called Mass Effect: Andromeda? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Planescape: Torment is the best Dungeons and Dragons interactive novel.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds both come out in October. Unknown if they are good yet, but... Probably?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hows greedfall?

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Here is the entire list of good RPGs:
Breath of Fire 1

I'm sorry, but recommending this horsemeat hidden among other gems just makes me question your sanity.

Can you say "the worst Inventory system ever imagined for a modern RPG?" Yes, I think you can!

The sequel is better, but still disappointing.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 28, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Witcher 2

Also divinity: original sin probably isn't as baldurs gate as you think

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DoctorGonzo posted:

hows greedfall?

Its just ok. I'd wait for a sale. Some of the quests are bugged, right now I'm stuck near the end at an impassable gate, even though I've already supposed to have triggered it open.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2019

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Just played 'LISA' and boy is it painful. Cheap and relatively fast RPG. Recommend.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Might and Magic : day of the destroyer

That's uncalled for, what if someone were to actually play it not knowing you were joking, can you live with that blood on your hands?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That's uncalled for, what if someone were to actually play it not knowing you were joking, can you live with that blood on your hands?

I played thru the whole game like 3 times since 1999, it's nb

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
6/7 are much better and somehow have less terrible graphics

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I tried the preceding one and the storyline was lame.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm about 60 hours into Persona 5. It's alright.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

two worlds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

toggle posted:

two worlds

gently caress

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

toggle posted:

two worlds

ah, bandits!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire if you want that old school Badlur's Gate goodness without having to deal with that old school lovely interface and graphics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 30, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

hows greedfall?

Everything I've heard sounds like it's on the same level as Kingdoms of Amalur, kind of good but not worth paying more than bargain bin prices.

Mega64 posted:

the one where the thousand year old dragon looks like a ten year old girl.

Fire Emblem's a turn based strategy game.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds both come out in October. Unknown if they are good yet, but... Probably?

Outer Worlds seems like every other choice and consequence RPG out there and seems to be doing nothing new.

Disco Elysium, on the other hand, looks insanely unique and interesting.

RPGs have stagnated, lmao when the best games in the genre rn are just retro throwbacks like Pillars of Eternity.

The genre needs to be loving innovated on. I'm sick and tired of playing dress up and customizing some soulless doll then doing dull CYOA style quests with boring moral decisions that are just hard set branches.

Doing hosed up poo poo to NPCs in RDR2 inbetween relaxing fishing sessions felt more like roleplaying compared to RPGs. I'm sick and tired of this formula. It's been over 20 years and the Fallout/Daggerfall model is still industry standard. Christ almighty.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
One Way Heroics

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

RPGs have stagnated, lmao when the best games in the genre rn are just retro throwbacks like Pillars of Eternity.

Obsidian's solo efforts were mediocre at best, but they were better than nothing. I'm forcing myself through Pillars just to get it out of my backlog.

Speaking of modern retros, Balrum is kind of an oldschool throwback to things like Ultima. Has homestead building and crafting but the homestead's an instanced area separate from the main map.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

don't poo poo your pants

https://www.kongregate.com/games/rete/dont-poo poo-your-pants

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
also the sequel. "dont poo poo your jorts"

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
amber throne and ara fell are good professional retro jrpgs if you are in the mood for them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Switch: Dragon Quest XIS.

If no Switch: Dragon Quest XI + orchestrated music mod.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Assassins creed odyssey is pretty good and Zelda breath of the wild is also great but the final boss is a bit of a pushover

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I thought the title was recommend me good pogs and got excited.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Imo deadfire elevated pillars beyond just being nostalgia/throwback but ymmv I guess

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

DoctorGonzo posted:

backstory: the last two years i worked far from home in another region of the country. that work ended, i had to sell most of my stuff and return home (thats bad)
but now iafter two years i have my gaming pc back, what are the best rpgs right now? (thats ok)
specs i5, 8 gigas of ram and a r7 260x

here listen to this great track while you give your old friend doc gonzo some recomendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSNy8DcIDk

if you dont care about old rear end games with bad graphics get might and magic 6 off gog it has all the patches and poo poo already done to it to make it work in win 7 compatability mode. it comes with 6 games plus a fan made dev reconized addon to the 3rd or 4th one.

you play as a 4 man group in what is essentially a d&d campaign. its also uses a semi weird turn base system. if you get agro on something you hit enter and it turns on turn based then each time enemies can use their turn they can either move in range or attack. The stories are generally pretty decent and if you dont use a guide you can miss tons of poo poo so you can have some replayability.

its 6 games for like 14$ and they are fun if you can get past the bad graphics.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Might and Magic : day of the destroyer

Guildenstern Mother posted:

8 was the last good 3do version of M&M though. its not like he said 9 or god forbid 10.

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 29, 2019

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its Operencia, you want OP. Best RPG of the year, hands down

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Do the Yakuza games count as RPGs? Those are really good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

If they don't yet, Yakuza 7 will as the combat is straight up turn based.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Suspect A posted:

Just played 'LISA' and boy is it painful. Cheap and relatively fast RPG. Recommend.

Another vote for this. Great game.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Try 'Mutants Year Zero: Road to Eden'

it's actually good and nobody but me played it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Steam's library sorting says they do, but it also says Saints Row 3 is one.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

snergle posted:

8 was the last good 3do version of M&M though. its not like he said 9 or god forbid 10.

10 is the "kick dudes into spike walls" simulator, right? That was pretty sick. Too bad about the rest of the game though!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Applewhite posted:

These days if an RPG doesn't have a character creator with a boob slider that goes waaaaaaaay to the right, I'm not interested.

I prefer them symmetrical, myself.

Anyway get dragons quest 11. It's good, but anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
F.A.T.A.L. is good, but make sure you download the anal circumference hack