Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's called FATAL because you get the death penalty for owning the book, even in countries without the death penalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you're talking about computer games, then the Shadowrun games deserve a mention.

Also West of Loathing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Icochet posted:

Elder Scrolls games get a lot of poo poo but once you install all the horse vulva mods they start to shine

Me: "LoL, that's can't be a real thing. . . it can't!"
<right click -> select "Search">
Me: . . . gently caress!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is good. It's Earthbound gameplay with a better story.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
try Outward its a 3d action game but theres QUESTS that means its an rpg right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Alpha protocol op. Go pistols and stealth

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Mating Village, OP

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The total overhaul mod Enderal for Skyrim seems interesting. New world, story, skills, the lot. I'm only a couple of hours in so can't really pass judgement but the price is right.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Has anyone said Witcher 3? I tried getting into it before, and would die to some wolves or bandits and say "gently caress this" and stop playing.

I picked it back up recently and have done a few quests and holy poo poo is it good. The writing is really good and there is so much poo poo to do. Gives me the same nice slow-dopamine drip feeling KOTOR used to back in the day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get Game Pass because it is an astounding value and has all 4 Bards Tale games

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Alpha protocol op. Go pistols and stealth

legit one of my favorite games ever and i wish obsidian did the sequel instead of boring retro poo poo like pillars and tyranny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

legit one of my favorite games ever and i wish obsidian did the sequel instead of boring retro poo poo like pillars and tyranny

I mean there next game drops this month* and looks like another attempt at a fallout-esque experience so maybe their next project will be Prime Operation

*Its also on game pass, just get it you idiots

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8CcTYsMHYU

this song is badass]

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

super sweet best pal posted:

Obsidian's solo efforts were mediocre at best, but they were better than nothing. I'm forcing myself through Pillars just to get it out of my backlog.

Speaking of modern retros, Balrum is kind of an oldschool throwback to things like Ultima. Has homestead building and crafting but the homestead's an instanced area separate from the main map.

Deadfire is anything but mediocre. Other than that... yeah unfortunately.

Balrum looks interesting and I've never heard about it, so thanks for the tip.

Another pseudo-retro RPG that imho got overlooked: ATOM RPG. It's basically 3D isometric Fallout / Wasteland, but with the sort of jank that comes from being made in Eastern Europe.
And since a bunch of people mentioned Underrail (which now has an expansion that seems better than the original in most ways), if you liked Underrail, you may give a try to the Avernum remasters, which are also kinda obscure, I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Icochet posted:

The total overhaul mod Enderal for Skyrim seems interesting. New world, story, skills, the lot. I'm only a couple of hours in so can't really pass judgement but the price is right.

It really fixes a lot that was wrong with Skyrim, it has a much richer, less empty word with better dungeons, towns and environments than Skyrim ever managed, and for what amounts to a mod, it does have amazing production value. The story, to be honest, kinda fails, but it's not a show stopper.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
atom is good, i loved it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pillars of eternity II.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't that the game that's full of antisemitic propaganda?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you're talking about computer games, then the Shadowrun games deserve a mention.

Oh yeah, these are excellent. Skip the first one, but the ones set in Berlin and China are both gems. Kind of like a cross between Baldur's gate isometric exploration and XCOM combat.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

bromplicated posted:

Has anyone said Witcher 3? I tried getting into it before, and would die to some wolves or bandits and say "gently caress this" and stop playing.

I have bounced off Witcher 2 like five times before making it even ten hours in. I have always been afraid to try Witcher 3 because of that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have no idea.
It's fan sourced so the answer is 100% yes, probably.
I've played a few hours and it's pretty decent but haven't seen any heil Hitler's or whatever and haven't heard anything about it until you said that.
I wouldn't doubt anything said about any game though to be honest.
You could tell me Super Mario Bros. III was about lynchings and I'd just assume you're more woke than I am.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have played the game for hundreds of hours and I've never run into anything like that. The game is full of discoverable lists of backers names and stories though, so I guess it's possible? They're all boring reads, though, so I never bothered with them-especially since they have zero bearing on the story.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I remember the first Pillars of Eternity where there's npcs standing around that just tell some backer's own lore. I clicked probably twenty of those assholes and read the text thinking wtf is this poo poo. At some point I smelled a rat and googled it. I had spent probably 30 minutes reading goddamn fanfic. gently caress you Obsidian.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

I have no idea.
It's fan sourced so the answer is 100% yes, probably.
I've played a few hours and it's pretty decent but haven't seen any heil Hitler's or whatever and haven't heard anything about it until you said that.
I wouldn't doubt anything said about any game though to be honest.
You could tell me Super Mario Bros. III was about lynchings and I'd just assume you're more woke than I am.

It had a poem written by a kickstarter backer many considered offensive. It was about some guy who finds out he'd slept with a trans-woman so he jumps off a cliff. I just found it stupid and anyway it got taken out.

Oh and Greedfall I'd recommend picking up during a sale and playing if you're in the mood for a CRPG and nothing else fancies your mind. Perfectly average game that never did anything that irritated me. The story I felt was pretty good but it was held back by a lousy script and bland voice acting.
I'm pretty amazed I'd write something like that about a game from Spiders, makers of absolute dreck for 20 years now.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Madden '95

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
divinity 2 is really good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Icochet posted:

Oh man I remember the first Pillars of Eternity where there's npcs standing around that just tell some backer's own lore. I clicked probably twenty of those assholes and read the text thinking wtf is this poo poo. At some point I smelled a rat and googled it. I had spent probably 30 minutes reading goddamn fanfic. gently caress you Obsidian.

lol, same here. The first few hours of Pillars gave me a Mary Sue poisoning.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like far cry and also fallout and also DOOM those are fun games ! (:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

divinity 2 is really good

my brother told me its really good but it doesnt have a good story
im playing greedfall and its cool so far, it reminds me of the first mass effect and dragon age origins

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hello can I interest you in some Dark Souls today

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Was Pillars the one, or was it a different throw back to lovely game isometric kickstarter, where backer characters were noted in like gold on their names and all carried unique loot so while you could toggle them off via game settings you could also just murder them all penalty free and take the various stuff they were carrying for early game boosts

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Switch: Dragon Quest XIS.

If no Switch: Dragon Quest XI + orchestrated music mod.

i just grabbed the demo for this last night and oh god that orchestral score is much too nice for a game where you fight rabbit unicorns and dancing evil pickles called cruelcumbers

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DoctorGonzo posted:

my brother told me its really good but it doesnt have a good story
im playing greedfall and its cool so far, it reminds me of the first mass effect and dragon age origins

Theres a beta patch out right now for Greedfall. It still doesn't fix my quest bug though :(

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Theres a beta patch out right now for Greedfall. It still doesn't fix my quest bug though :(

where is broken? no problems so far but im still in the market-pier area of the starting city

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DoctorGonzo posted:

where is broken? no problems so far but im still in the market-pier area of the starting city

Theres all sorts of broken quest triggers based on the game's forum. I didn't run into any until near the end game though, and mine literally makes it impossible to progress since its part of the main quest.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Final fantasy 7

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
5ive NIGHTS at Freddie's is a type of role you play game.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Icochet posted:

That game's writing made me uninstall after like 5 hours.

Op get yourself subnautica and play in blind if you want a cool game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I started playing underrail earlier today and boy howdy is it scratching that fallout itch that's just been lingering since 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Colonel Cancer posted:

10 is the "kick dudes into spike walls" simulator, right? That was pretty sick. Too bad about the rest of the game though!

no thats a seperate game ubisoft made. the kicking enemies into spikes and off cliffs was cool but the rest sucked bad.

10 is actually alright its not super poo poo but its not good like everything ubisoft did with m&m. the ccg game they made was insanely good but they didnt wanna put any marketing or anything behind it. like they had trumpsc do an entire thing with it but only had him put it on his youtube not stream it and he never told anyone about it. by the time i found out about it they had droped all dev time for it and closed that branch down.