Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
In the Back to the Future conception of time travel, changes take time, from the perspective of the time traveller, to propagate through all of reality.

Marty uses his slack time to get his parents back together. Old Biff uses his slack time to drive the time machine back to the future.

There’s a deleted scene that shows that the changes he’s made do catch up with Old Biff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2NBw-ZSQ98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

postmodifier posted:

Back to the Future shot itself in the foot with the whole Sports Almanac thing, because if there was some fucker making billions of dollars off flawlessly predicting wins who was never around betting before, all the teams would drastically shift and change their rosters in response, making a huge amount of the almanac worthless. If Hill Valley could change so dramatically as a result of Biff's winnings, why wouldn't the roster of the 1983 Cubs change too?

Time travel is a hell of a drug.

The Almanac would adjust to show the new results. Same as Marty's family photo in the first film.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Platystemon posted:

In the Back to the Future conception of time travel, changes take time, from the perspective of the time traveller, to propagate through all of reality.

Marty uses his slack time to get his parents back together. Old Biff uses his slack time to drive the time machine back to the future.

There’s a deleted scene that shows that the changes he’s made do catch up with Old Biff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2NBw-ZSQ98

Right, but you can see why they cut it from a story perspective since it deflates the tension somewhat seeing Biff disappear (which would imply that he dies sooner in his Trump timeline)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The scene where Marty is on stage and his parents are not going to gently caress and he starts to fade away is at the crux of the issue. How can Marty be somewhat transparent and only partially there? Either the conditions at that moment lead to his existence or they don't. How can it "take time" for time itself to change? It's time.

Probably the same fundamental forces askew that lead a lightning bolt hitting a clock tower to creep down a wire at just a few dozen feet per second, or a scientist pronouncing "gigawatt" as "jiggawatt," or Libyans having access to Plutonium.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the Olden Times presumption is that the couple hasn't had sex with one another yet, and therefore, both are presuming virginity of the other, and the test will determine if one of them lied and in so doing, got a disease. Of course either could have gotten tested for syphilis or whatever beforehand, if they had had premarital sex and not lied about it, but the test is protecting both parties in the nuptials from the potentially deadly lie and disease of the other.

It all rests on the premise that the test isn't too late to matter, e.g., the couple hasn't hosed yet.

And otherwise, getting tested for "VD" (especially by men, when talking to their male doctors, esp. soldiers coming home from war etc.) was totally a thing, but prior to AIDS, most anything you could get was non-deadly. The "free love" period of the 70s was fully killed in the 1980s by the sudden realization that promiscuity could legit kill you. The promotion of the principle of getting tested before having sex with a new partner that came out of the AIDS epidemic has fully infiltrated society to the point where you call it 'sexual health 101', rightly so; before the mid '80s, it totally wasn't though. The presumption was that decent folk didn't sleep around and didn't have VD.

Yeah, but the real sexual revolution happened in the 1910s and 20s. That's when people shifted from courtship to dating and actually began to sleep around before marriage. As with all things the Boomers just claimed they invented it and the Xers and Millenials that came after them were foolish enough to believe them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jaguars! posted:

Something about that reminded me of an incident about 10 years ago where we decided to play cribbage during a long car trip. At the next town I went into a bookstore and after not seeing one asked the teenage clerk if they had any boards. He goes over to the older lady clerk and asks her 'do we have any :airquote:Cree-barge:airquote: boards' (yes, he did the airquotes!). The old lady smiles and points out that they're right next to him and the clerk hands me one with a very hangdog look on his face. I'm fairly sure that anyone here from the boomer generation would know what one looks like even if they never played.

Cribbage is still played in the Navy. Bored sailors sometimes make fancy boards to pass time.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Cessna posted:

Cribbage is still played in the Navy. Bored sailors sometimes make fancy boards to pass time.

My grandma spent almost the entirety of my last Christmas vacation teaching me how to play cribbage and as of right now, I couldn't tell you a single rule if I had a gun to my head.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I played a lot of cribbage with my Grandmother, so I still remember. It's pretty fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but the real sexual revolution happened in the 1910s and 20s. That's when people shifted from courtship to dating and actually began to sleep around before marriage. As with all things the Boomers just claimed they invented it and the Xers and Millenials that came after them were foolish enough to believe them.

I hate to break it to you but people have been bonking before marriage far longer than the concept of marriage exists.

Like read literally anything old from any culture. People were loving hard.

You have to hunt for the outliers like Edwardian England among the upper-classes.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever a specific amount of money is used for a ransom or whatever as it compares how much a lot of money was in the past. For example, in the original Austin Powers movie, when Dr Evil demands only $1 million, and everyone laughs at him MULTIPLE times for demanding such a low amount. Or in Office Space when Peter asks everyone what they would do with $1 million bucks, but then that leads into Lawrence's ridiculous answer-2 chicks at the SAME time!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Sure, the 1920’s broke down a lot of standards, but those benefited men more than women. If you were a lady there were still significant consequences to sex before marriage. The introduction of the Pill changed the power dynamic.

I know we like making GBS threads on Boomers, and for good reason, but I think Free Love, for better or worse, gets credited to them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I hate to break it to you but people have been bonking before marriage far longer than the concept of marriage exists.

You have to hunt for the outliers like Edwardian England among the upper-classes.

And even there Edward VII was um pretty notorious for pre and extra marital sex!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just last month I did some genealogical research on a part of my tree and came across the 1870 US census showing my great-great grandfather as 1 years old with this parents listed as....60 years old.

Uh no. Clearly he was the son of their unmarried 17 year old daughter.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Took a graduate level class on the history of American sexuality and that's what all the literature and statistics said. And none of the books I've read since then have contradicted it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Here's a little hint for you.

People lie. For societal eras where premarital relations are frowned upon, most cases of premarital and extramarital affairs would not be recorded unless the couple was caught in the act. In a great many cases it would not be recorded even if the couple was caught in the act. It just gets hushed up, any illicit children attributed to somebody else, and sometimes one of the people involved gets buried in the backyard.

Just look up "Shotgun wedding", a concept that dates back to the 18th century at least in the US.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I heard ELO's Telephone Line today, and I realized the song sung to the operator is a trope that makes no sense. Nowadays, he'd leave a text, or a voicemail, and be on with it.

Still would have blue days and black nights, doo wah doo lang.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edwardian England among the upper-classes was notorious for tolerated adultery, among both (at the time) sexes. "A heir and a spare", and after that nobody looked too closely at the eye colors of any subsequent children. One of the things a hostess at a country house did was try to put extra-marital couples' rooms near each other to lessen the risk of the wrong people bumping into each other in the hall in the middle of the night.

I'm surprised that the course on the history of American sexuality didn't cover Puritan New England; this paper estimates " The overall percentage of marriages involving premarital fornication for the twenty-one year period is 11%. ". (Based on some presuppositions laid out in the paper.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Edwardian England among the upper-classes was notorious for tolerated adultery, among both (at the time) sexes. "A heir and a spare", and after that nobody looked too closely at the eye colors of any subsequent children. One of the things a hostess at a country house did was try to put extra-marital couples' rooms near each other to lessen the risk of the wrong people bumping into each other in the hall in the middle of the night.

I'm surprised that the course on the history of American sexuality didn't cover Puritan New England; this paper estimates " The overall percentage of marriages involving premarital fornication for the twenty-one year period is 11%. ". (Based on some presuppositions laid out in the paper.)

You're right and that was poorly phrased. I should've added something like "and even then it's not that it didn't happen it's that lots of people refused to comment on it and hush now Downton Abbey was totally a documentary shhhhhh".

People have always been loving. Maybe you could kind of argue that in certain regions at certain time-periods people tried to cover up how much they were loving, but trying to make it some kind of human absolute that before 1960 people waited for marriage is just silly. If you doubt me, I submit the entire nation of China since ever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cemetry Gator posted:

I heard ELO's Telephone Line today, and I realized the song sung to the operator is a trope that makes no sense. Nowadays, he'd leave a text, or a voicemail, and be on with it.

A decade later, on "Calling America":

Talk is cheap on satellite
But all I get is static
Information, I'm still here
Re-dial on automatic

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Here's a little hint for you.

People lie. For societal eras where premarital relations are frowned upon, most cases of premarital and extramarital affairs would not be recorded unless the couple was caught in the act. In a great many cases it would not be recorded even if the couple was caught in the act. It just gets hushed up, any illicit children attributed to somebody else, and sometimes one of the people involved gets buried in the backyard.

Just look up "Shotgun wedding", a concept that dates back to the 18th century at least in the US.

It was generally accepted medical knowledge in the 17th & 18th centuries that a woman's first pregnancy could be as short as 6 or 7 months for a healthy baby.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Vincent's incredulous reaction at a five dollar milkshake in Pulp Fiction has fallen out of time at least a little bit.

Picturing 2020 Pulp Fiction (reintroduced to a modern audience): "an 18 dollar milkshake?" And then Mia receives this huge mason jar topped with two further scoops of ice cream, a glazed donut and an entire slice of cake stuck on the rim.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Greyhound racing, as depicted in the first episode of The Simpsons, is now illegal in almost every state.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Picturing 2020 Pulp Fiction (reintroduced to a modern audience)

Hopefully humanity’s impending demise heads off the threat of a Pulp Fiction remake/desecration

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Days late here, but the Duchess of Rutland essentially used her daughter, Diana, as a prostitute during World War I. The Duchess didn't want her lone surviving son dying in the war. He badly wanted to fight and being unable to convince him to give up, the Duchess had Diana strategically sleep with individuals to make sure he was invalidated.

Also, Diana's father probably wasn't the Duke of Rutland.

Upper class Edwardian English folks had a lot of extramarital sex.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Steely Dad posted:

Hopefully humanity’s impending demise heads off the threat of a Pulp Fiction remake/desecration

You don't want to see Zac Efron as Vincent? They can make it a musical.

"Come on Jules, get your head in the game!"

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Arsenic Lupin posted:

With a group like the Puritans it's a bit different because sex between engagement and marriage existed in a kind of grey area. So long as you got married before anyone was visibly pregnant, and were monogamous, no one really cared. Sex between people who didn't intend to get married would have been scandalous though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

You don't want to see Zac Efron as Vincent? They can make it a musical.

"Come on Jules, get your head in the game!"
Movie opens on Vincenza and Juliet, proceeds to pass Bechdel test almost instantly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Days late here, but the Duchess of Rutland essentially used her daughter, Diana, as a prostitute during World War I. The Duchess didn't want her lone surviving son dying in the war. He badly wanted to fight and being unable to convince him to give up, the Duchess had Diana strategically sleep with individuals to make sure he was invalidated.

Also, Diana's father probably wasn't the Duke of Rutland.

Upper class Edwardian English folks had a lot of extramarital sex.

Nominative determinism strikes again eh?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Movie opens on Vincenza and Juliet, proceeds to pass Bechdel test almost instantly.

Would the gimp still be the gimp?
What about the Confederate flag in the pawn shop where the guys were sodomizing Marcellus Wallace?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reservoir Dogs might be easier to remake. You could definitely do an all female version!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

One I noticed the other day - not so much pay phones, which everyone can probably still figure out, but having a phone card specially for use from payphones.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Jaguars! posted:

One I noticed the other day - not so much pay phones, which everyone can probably still figure out, but having a phone card specially for use from payphones.

Phone cards are definitely still a thing, they're sold by the fistful in every bodega in NYC and other major metropolitan cities because its an inexpensive way to obtain international calling minutes.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
The situation in the REM song "Star 69" would be hard to decipher for a lot of people now-- not a lot of people are going to understand what *69 was or what "put your quarter down on me" means. Not to mention how much weird psychodrama could be wrapped up in unexpected/unwelcome phone calls back when that was the only way to communicate with people a lot of the time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a gorgeous Jim Croce song called "Operator" about a guy trying to call his girlfriend and talking to the long-distance operator about the relationship; "you can keep the dime" refers, of course, to the money he put in the pay phone.

quote:

Operator, well let's forget about this call
There's no one there I really wanted to talk to
Thank you for your time, ah, you've been so much more than kind
And you can keep the dime

There's a great Kinky Friedman song, Western Union Wire, about a telegram; it depends on your knowing that telegrams had STOP at the end of each sentence.

quote:

It said, from Billy, at the bottom,
To Baby, at the top
Western Union Wire PLEASE HELP ME STOP
Western Union Wire DON'T LEAVE ME STOP

Final chorus:
It said, from Billy, at the bottom,
To Baby, at the top
Western Union Wire DON'T LEAVE ME STOP
AH YOU SAID YOU'D ALWAYS LOVE ME HOW COULD YOU STOP
IN PIECES ON THE RUNWAY I LOVE YOU STOP

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Given how little interplanetary communication comes up compared to when humanity was semi-often going to the moon, the idea of bouncing signals off the moon to reach a rocket traveling to mars might also be lost on modern audiences - it's the basis for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ywCuMfQDE

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 20, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a great Kinky Friedman song, Western Union Wire, about a telegram; it depends on your knowing that telegrams had STOP at the end of each sentence.
There's also a bit from Blackadder season 4 that goes along the same lines. Blackadder dictates a telegram to Charlie Chaplin, whom he hates, ends each sentence with STOP and the telegram with "PS.: Please, please... STOP." At the end of the episode he gets his comeuppance when he's named projectionist for a twice weekly Chaplin screening by the man himself, who ends his own telegram with "Don't let him ever... STOP."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

The situation in the REM song "Star 69" would be hard to decipher for a lot of people now-- not a lot of people are going to understand what *69 was or what "put your quarter down on me" means. Not to mention how much weird psychodrama could be wrapped up in unexpected/unwelcome phone calls back when that was the only way to communicate with people a lot of the time.

R.E.M. has a few of those. “S. Central Rain” is someone upset that they can’t call their girlfriend/boyfriend because storms out West have downed all the long distance lines.

That’s if you can understand Stipe’s muddled lyrics. I had no idea what the song was about until I heard a cover of it by another band.

Kids have it easy these days. Any song’s lyrics are easy to find, but in the 80’s and 90’s you had to hope the band was thoughtful enough to include an extra long folded up insert with all the words.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And in the 00s at least half of song lyrics online were put there by some rando who often misheard the words.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

FreudianSlippers posted:

And in the 00s at least half of song lyrics online were put there by some rando who often misheard the words.

Excuse me, while I kiss this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Then there's "Western Union" - a 60s classic:

quote:

Western Union man
Bad news in his hand
Knocking at my door
Selling me the score

Fifteen cents a word to read
A telegram I didn't need
Says she doesn't care no more
Think I'll throw it on the floor