Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For me, it's the system of voting on comment quality that makes Reddit hard to use. It turns it into a game and popularity contest, rather than a discussion.

The whole thing ends up out of chronological order, which is fine for "what is the answer to this question?" type posts about, like, woodworking or computer repair where there probably is a correct answer, but pretty bad for "what's the best politics?" type discussions that turn factional and echo-chambered fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like Reddit is fine for finding fun videos or things where people are really talking to each other, like AITA content style threads.

But for anything that requires discussion, it's useless.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it's fine if you want to just pop in and see if anyone's playing good music at the moment, or read Hobbydrama or something, but I could never make it my main 'social media' thing. I'd a hundred times rather just stay here.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Honestly - I only use Reddit in lieu of ‘googling’ something.

Like checking if some new service is any good - reviews of things. Checking if something is legit or a scam.

Usually I’ll find a handful of useful comments and then the rest of it are junk comments and ‘jokes.’

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItzYRzyIKhQ

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Honestly - I only use Reddit in lieu of ‘googling’ something.

Like checking if some new service is any good - reviews of things. Checking if something is legit or a scam.

Usually I’ll find a handful of useful comments and then the rest of it are junk comments and ‘jokes.’

Yeah, I similarly use Reddit as the useful version of, say, googling "how do I cancel X subscription"; top results will include the actual companies FAQ, which will be worthless, and also a reddit page that clearly explains where to go and what to do.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Reddit is about as navigable as it always was, ie. not very, but it's largely stayed the same for 15 years while all other sites have gotten much worse.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was watching the season 4 Simpsons Treehouse of Horror last night. Homer goads the viewer into "shutting off" the TV, so the screen goes dark, except for a small light dot in the middle that gradually fades away.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
modern samsung tvs play a little animation thats supposed to look like that effect when you turn em off. its alive

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Reddit: Quora by any other name.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Adults not being able to figure out how to use a VCR always bewildered me as a child (and still does, looking back) because literally all I did was read the instructions and do what it said. Then relay those instructions to the adult who had requested my help in the vain hope that they'd be able to do it themself the next time. Similarly, my aunt just recently had me set up a new computer for her (ie. plug it in, turn it on, and follow the on-screen prompts). Thanks to the pandemic, the computer had been sitting, unused, for two years, because she couldn't possibly have figured it out on her own. She's been using computers for literally decades but is somehow convinced that if she turns on a new one it'll spontaneously break.

I had to do all the VCR programming because neither of my parents could be made to understand 24 hour time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My parents will complain that whichever device they are used "just stopped working!" and demand that I come and fix it.

9 times out of 10, when i get there, the device will have a big old pop-up in the middle of the screen explaining in full detail what it wrong and how fix it.
Literally reading clear and concise instructions is apparently an impossible task.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pocket Billiards posted:

I had to do all the VCR programming because neither of my parents could be made to understand 24 hour time.

My parents were of the "Don't hook that up! It'll mess up the TV!" era.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

I never liked the format of reddit.

It reminds me of message boards from the early 2000s. Or something like the old IMDB message boards. All the nested comments and whatnot.

It's youtube comment section, for things other than Youtube. With all the negatives that come with it, namely there's no community, and no possibility of even forming a community, as all interactions are by design ephemeral at best, transactional at worst.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pookah posted:

My parents will complain that whichever device they are used "just stopped working!" and demand that I come and fix it.

9 times out of 10, when i get there, the device will have a big old pop-up in the middle of the screen explaining in full detail what it wrong and how fix it.
Literally reading clear and concise instructions is apparently an impossible task.
Knowing this, I more than once tried to pre-empt it with "Okay, can you tell me what it says on the screen?" and got "'File, edit, view, history, bookmarks...'"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Knowing this, I more than once tried to pre-empt it with "Okay, can you tell me what it says on the screen?" and got "'File, edit, view, history, bookmarks...'"
As the family Computer Understander I always hated the inevitable exchange
:buddy: A message popped up on the screen and now it's not working.
:kiddo: OK, what did it say?
:buddy: I don't know. I didn't read it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

http://tatatataa.cn/ (autoplaying sound, you might also have to click on the empty space to start it)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Kingdom posted:

When we gave my in-laws a DVD player, in the 1990s, my FIL sulked and said it could go on the guest bedroom TV. My MIL overruled him, and into the living room it went.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tiggum posted:

This post filled me with untold swathes of sense-memory. In my mind I heard the hundreds of times I've had this exchange. I could just see how often I've been actively reading an error message only for my sister* to reflexively click it closed.

*or whatever, this is a specific memory.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I still don't know why, but a lot of older folks seem to have learned computer things in "blind, rote memorization" mode, instead of in "figure it out" mode.

Put them in a rental car where the headlights and window controls and radio are all in different places from what they're used to, and they'll just look it over, maybe try a few things, and easily figure it all out. But if a Windows update comes in that changes the look of the taskbar or puts the web browser in a slightly different spot, they're completely helpless.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tiggum posted:

My colleagues put me through this nonsense daily. :bang:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

This post filled me with untold swathes of sense-memory. In my mind I heard the hundreds of times I've had this exchange. I could just see how often I've been actively reading an error message only for my sister* to reflexively click it closed.

*or whatever, this is a specific memory.
Microsoft trained its users to behave this way, by making it either a boolean choice whether they want to acknowledge it or dismiss it.

There's no option to save the error message to a file, and people have to know how to arbitrarily trigger a screenshot (if that was even an option, because it hasn't always been a thing do on all previous versions of Windows), write down the message in full (and not get it wrong), or take a picture of the screen, or they have to know which programs support ^c to copy the message into the clipboard (now we're getting into what's effectively arcane magic incantations).

None of these are the correct ways to handle an error that's important enough that you think the user needs to know it, yet not also provide a proper logging environment (yes, Windows logging has gotten better, but it's still absolute poo poo if you want to find an error a user reported at some point in the past).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In the user’s defence, the error message is usually not worded with an user in mind.

“Memory exception at dx0000000FF” yeah ok sure.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/1520535834331697155

Not media but it kinda fits I guess

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
56K or GTFO.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

:hmmno:

:hai:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Personally, I hate that I looked at that photo and "rj-11, duh" immediately popped into my head

Also not a huge fan of knowing what rj stands for, either

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

postmodifier posted:

Also not a huge fan of knowing what rj stands for, either

you can call it Ray, or you can call it Jay

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's not an RJ-11 receptacle, it's an RJ-14 :eng101:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is it POTS? Is it dry loop DSL? Is it ISDN?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That's not an RJ-11 receptacle, it's an RJ-14 :eng101:
That's not an RJ-14, it's a :females: 6P4C (or maybe 6P6C, if it also carries power). :science:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it POTS? Is it dry loop DSL? Is it ISDN?
ISDN commonly uses RJ48 8P8C.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 3, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mister Kingdom posted:

I swear a lot of older people would sooner let you cut off the water to their house than disrupt the TV in any way.

SA is superior to Reddit if only for charging a nominal fee, thus filtering out a lot of the children/assholes (I know better than to say all).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also having site-wide probations and bans. The fact that you can only get banned from individual subreddits makes for fewer consequences for being a dick.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SA also doesn't tell you there are 47 posts in a thread and then only let you see 12 of them.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

What even IS that? I thought I was the only one it happened to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Drimble Wedge posted:

What even IS that? I thought I was the only one it happened to.
There used to be an issue caused by zen death robot, I think, doing a database delete of his posts which caused postcount and the actual posts to be misaligned, but I thought I saw astral saying all of those should've been fixed, so if it's still happening I got no idea.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radium code so bad it causes issues on Reddit

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

You mean a three letter agency runs Reddit?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Flipperwaldt posted:

Where else would you keep the load bearing slurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I mean old TVs really just kind of worked by magic. I remember adjusting antennas and then as you stepped a foot away, losing all reception.

Hell, I had a buddy whose family had two TVs on top of each other. What had happened was that the TV on the bottom had died. Straight up wouldn't turn back on. So they called in a TV repairman who did all he could, but the TV was dead, need to buy a new TV. So they went a bought a newer smaller TV, and while putting that in the living room, they just put it on top of the old TV, which instantly caused the old TV to turn back on. So of course they figured, hey, loose wire and tried adjusting it thinking they could fix it, but nope. The only way the bottom TV worked was if the other smaller TV was on top of it. So they just rolled with it, and used it for gameday parties.