Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Cheques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Your bank doesn't let you deposit checks by app?

Mine doesn't, other banks have started to add that functionality in the last couple of years. From what I've seen it's limited to amount less than $1500 AUD or so.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hahaha i laugh at you nerds hahaha who have to waddle into your physical building to deal with cheques, hahahaha not like me it's so fast and easy and convenient to have a "bank" which only exists in the confines of my phone [someone hands me a $2,000 AUS cheque for the purchase of my car] oh gently caress!!!!!!!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hahaha i laugh at you nerds hahaha who have to waddle into your physical building to deal with cheques, hahahaha not like me it's so fast and easy and convenient to have a "bank" which only exists in the confines of my phone [someone hands me a $2,000 AUS cheque for the purchase of my car] oh gently caress!!!!!!!

Mine allows $50,000 in a single day and up to $250,000 every 30 calendar days so suck it PHIZ

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sorry you're selling your car in 1997.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Slimy Hog posted:

Mine allows $50,000 in a single day and up to $250,000 every 30 calendar days so suck it PHIZ

drat, that's a lot for a prison commisary account.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

drat, that's a lot for a prison commisary account.

You have no idea how expensive things are in here

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Checks and credit cards are all very strange for a Lithuanian. Dunno about other euros, but it was always either cash or debit.

You just learned to.live with it, since only American movies were worth watching.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cheques have been legally discontinued in Denmark for a few years. You literally cannot cash a cheque anymore. I have cashed like two cheques in my 30 years of living here. But we have our own credit card standard that works pretty well and has for many years, though you still get olds cashing out their pensions at the bank every first of the month. And somehow not getting mugged immediately.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Legally discontinued, in this instance, meaning that you have to walk your rear end to the increasingly-rare branch of the bank where the check is drawn on - so anyone who uses it can be assumed to hate your guts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Legally discontinued, in this instance, meaning that you have to walk your rear end to the increasingly-rare branch of the bank where the check is drawn on - so anyone who uses it can be assumed to hate your guts.

I'm pretty sure they won't actually cash it anymore anywhere. At least that's what I got today would happen soon the last time I cashed a cheque years ago. I think my wife had an uncashed one that basically became a worthless piece of paper.

And yeah, anyone using cheques here in the last 20 years at least have done so in the hopes of it not being cashed. And it probably worked...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just was thinking of The Music Man today, "Ya Got Trouble," mentions "covering up a telltale breath with Sen-Sen."

(That song is full of old references, but I think the whole darn show is intended to be kinda quaint and nostalgic. I don't know for sure, because I saw the movie exactly one time as a kid and "76 Trombones" got stuck in my head for a goddamn month, and I'm not risking that again.)

I listened to a lot of old radio shows as a kid and Sen-Sen comes up several times in jokey instances, and may have even shown up in old cartoons as well. It was a strong-smelling candy that was used to cover up the odors from drinking especially IME, but also smoking.

Also, comedic drunks and drunken behavior show up a lot in old cartoons and movies, but I think this thread has covered that already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Car tires used to have inner tubes. In order to fix a flat (which was frequent, because roads sucked and bias-ply tires sucked too) you had to remove the wheel from the car, and then remove the tire from the hub, patch or replace the tube, and reassemble.

Consequently, motorists carried a tire iron that was basically a fuckoff big crowbar with a socket on the end for the lug nuts.

These days, if your car comes with a tool at all, it's probably a relatively small affair that is only for removing lug nuts. So, film and especially book references in which a person is menaced or perhaps beaten or killed with a tire iron may seem a bit confusing!

Up to the 1950s, most any car could be expected to have one of these in the trunk:

a modern motorist might be equipped with a universal lug tool like this, which is a lot less weildy:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 23, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Illustrated to comedic lengths in Donald's Tire Trouble.
https://donaldduck.fandom.com/wiki/Donald%27s_Tire_Trouble

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is less a reference and more changing language usage, but I was reminded the other day of how women used to (and some older women still do) refer to platonic female friends as their "girlfriends." It confused me as a kid 30 years ago, and I have to imagine it's going to be even worse in the increasingly non-heteronormative future.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Going back to the aspirin discussion, aspirin is frequently treated as a sleep aid in Perry Mason (1933-1973) as well. It's not used as a euphemism as there are certainly actual sedatives like barbiturates in the series, but Della Street often takes an aspirin to get some sleep if tomorrow is a big day. I think the general idea is that it would relieve tension that would otherwise make sleeping difficult.

In that book, it might have been specifically Bayer's Aspirin because the word "aspirin" was once a trademark of Bayer.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so was heroin at one time, maybe that's :thejoke:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

doctorfrog posted:

Just was thinking of The Music Man today, "Ya Got Trouble," mentions "covering up a telltale breath with Sen-Sen."

(That song is full of old references, but I think the whole darn show is intended to be kinda quaint and nostalgic. I don't know for sure, because I saw the movie exactly one time as a kid and "76 Trombones" got stuck in my head for a goddamn month, and I'm not risking that again.)

And thanks to the Internet Archive, you, too, can memorize jokes from Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

doctorfrog posted:

Also, comedic drunks and drunken behavior show up a lot in old cartoons and movies, but I think this thread has covered that already.

i remember seeing pink elephants in tooney tunes when someone was sauced, but i did not understanding what the hell that was about... i just looked up the wiki, it's a euphemism for alcohol hallucinations from some Jack London book, but the wiki mentions seeing a snake in your boot.

so an old reference in newerish media is woody saying "there's a snake in my boot" in toy story.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tom and Jerry get shitfaced in at least five different shorts. This is always shown mostly through hiccups.

They also smoke a lot but that's been fixed in rereleases. I've heard those also change their owner on most shorts from a wildly stereotypical "Mammy" to a white lady.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tom and Jerry get shitfaced in at least five different shorts. This is always shown mostly through hiccups.

They also smoke a lot but that's been fixed in rereleases. I've heard those also change their owner on most shorts from a wildly stereotypical "Mammy" to a white lady.

It gets better - we're on the second round of censorship. The versions that aired in the 90s still had Mammy (IIRC, this was the character's actual name), who (in at least one short) dropped a bunch of hairbrushes and stuff when she's on a stool hiding from Jerry.

In a version I used to have on VHS (recorded from god knows when), she was dropping stuff like syringes and switchblades.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ahhh I remember them being a fixture on TBS way back when it still had the schedules shifted 5 minutes past the hour.

Ted Turner, inventor of colorization, booster of 4:3 pan & scan, situational champion of original artistic intent.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Going back to the aspirin discussion, aspirin is frequently treated as a sleep aid in Perry Mason (1933-1973) as well. It's not used as a euphemism as there are certainly actual sedatives like barbiturates in the series, but Della Street often takes an aspirin to get some sleep if tomorrow is a big day. I think the general idea is that it would relieve tension that would otherwise make sleeping difficult.

In that book, it might have been specifically Bayer's Aspirin because the word "aspirin" was once a trademark of Bayer.

Every time I open this thread, I sort of start looking up more details about this 'aspirin as sleep-aid/euphemism' thing, and I can't find any useful sources. The only thing I can think of, which is sort of nagging at the back of my mind, is that the generic term 'aspirin' sometimes was used to refer generally to any drug that was soluble in water. And Bayer did use to sell powdered/tablet sedatives that dissolved in water in the same way as aspirin in that period.

But in cases where they specifically cite "Bayer's Aspirin" I guess there can't be any ambiguity. I can't find anything at all that people used to think it helped you sleep or relax, or that it was ever marketed in that way. Maybe the suggestion is simply that they had a headache?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Even weirder aspirin is more likely to keep you awake than make you fall asleep.

But maybe for a brief shining moment in the 50's and 60's, people thought aspirin was a sleep aid. When modern sleep aids that were not booze or opium came onto the market everyone immediately forgot all about aspirin.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The specific reference to 'bayer's aspirin' was in the context of police checking up on evidence connected to an alibi, and verifying that the contents of a pill bottle were genuinely aspirin, rather than something else.

I found the other reference I was thinking of, and it's also a Ngaio Marsh novel- in 'Swing, Brother, Swing', a drug addict (possibly heroin) who is in frantic withdrawal is given 3 aspirins by a doctor before being given something unspecified from a syringe by the same doctor.
Oddly, I was listening to yet another crime novel of the same period - The Saltmarsh Murders' by Gladys Mitchell, and after an unnerving experience, where rocks are thrown at a house by a mysterious attacker, one of the residents is told to take some aspirin if she's feeling stressed and upset. There's no suggestion she's in any physical pain, just that she's been frightened.

Interesting to hear that the same implication appears in the Perry Mason novels - I was beginning to think it was just some weird notion Ngaio Marsh had, but it appears to have been a pretty widespread belief. I just had a little look for contemporary advertising, and while I can't find any Bayer ads that claim a sedative effect, I did find another brand of aspirin that absolutely did:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Krispy Wafer posted:

But maybe for a brief shining moment in the 50's and 60's, people thought aspirin was a sleep aid.

Might help you stay asleep though.

quote:

1. An attempt has been made to assess under double blind conditions the
sedative action of phenacetin, paracetamol, and aspirin by testing their ability
to prolong sleep in the face of a rapidly filling bladder.
5. Aspirin prolonged sleep interval, but this effect would be explained if it
were an antidiuretic because there was no increase in urine volume on
awakening.
https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1969.tb10581.x

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

Car tires used to have inner tubes. In order to fix a flat (which was frequent, because roads sucked and bias-ply tires sucked too) you had to remove the wheel from the car, and then remove the tire from the hub, patch or replace the tube, and reassemble.

Consequently, motorists carried a tire iron that was basically a fuckoff big crowbar with a socket on the end for the lug nuts.

These days, if your car comes with a tool at all, it's probably a relatively small affair that is only for removing lug nuts. So, film and especially book references in which a person is menaced or perhaps beaten or killed with a tire iron may seem a bit confusing!

Up to the 1950s, most any car could be expected to have one of these in the trunk:

a modern motorist might be equipped with a universal lug tool like this, which is a lot less weildy:

what? if a modern car has a spare tire and lug wrench it's going to be much more like that top one, not the giant cross. it'll have a single lug socket sized specifically for that vehicle rather than being a multipurpose tool with a bunch of extra metal on it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It'll be a single lug size, but the head will fold into the relatively flimsy hollow handle and it's really not meant for heavy use. The old school bash-your-head-in tire iron is definitely something younger audiences wouldn't have seen out in the wild. And like you said, that's if you even have a spare tire and not a can of Fix-a-Flat. You could probably do more damage with a can of Fix-a-Flat than the newer tire irons.

The flimsy tire irons aren't necessarily a bad thing. Most people will never get a flat tire. Those that do will usually call a service.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Triple AAA has become absolute crap lately. It's impossible to get them to come in less than 2 hours now and their call center will do things like try to send you to a mechanics shop which has been closed for 3 years because they never updated their info. It used to be a regional service where the person you were talking to was somewhat familiar with your area but they nationalized it for "efficiency" and now its all gone to pot. You're right about people having no idea how to change a flat now though. My lug wrench went missing and I needed to tighten the bolts on my front tires. I asked to borrow one and like four different people just stared at me dumbly and then said they didn't think they had one.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Called AAA out for a roof metal screw in a tire on a modern vehicle that doesn't have run flats or a spare. Asked him, why not plug the tire? He refused to and he left frustrated. Still billed $70 for the service call. It wasn't even a bad leak, so we aired it up good, drove it home through the country at night, and I plugged it the next day.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

grillster posted:

Called AAA out for a roof metal screw in a tire on a modern vehicle that doesn't have run flats or a spare. Asked him, why not plug the tire? He refused to and he left frustrated. Still billed $70 for the service call. It wasn't even a bad leak, so we aired it up good, drove it home through the country at night, and I plugged it the next day.

Don't you have any of that goop that comes with an inflator?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Triple AAA has become absolute crap lately. It's impossible to get them to come in less than 2 hours now and their call center will do things like try to send you to a mechanics shop which has been closed for 3 years because they never updated their info. It used to be a regional service where the person you were talking to was somewhat familiar with your area but they nationalized it for "efficiency" and now its all gone to pot. You're right about people having no idea how to change a flat now though. My lug wrench went missing and I needed to tighten the bolts on my front tires. I asked to borrow one and like four different people just stared at me dumbly and then said they didn't think they had one.

Back when I drove a 20+ year old car and needed roadside assistance a lot, a tow truck driver said AAA paid the least and got the slowest service.

The problem is now roadside assistance is included with a whole lot of stuff (new car warranty, car insurance, credit card perks) so it's tough to figure out what is good and what is rock bottom reimbursals that tow truck drivers put last on their priorities. I paid extra for AllState Motor Club in a vain hope that I won't be left out in the middle of nowhere for 6 hours when I need help. Odds are I will still be left out in the middle of nowhere for 6 hours.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Don't you have any of that goop that comes with an inflator?

if you use that poo poo on a tire you will never be able to re-inflate that tire again becuase it will clog the valve, and also it will stick to the inside of the wheel so when you next change your tire whoever does that for you will curse your name. Basically that poo poo is for dire emergencies only.

brugroffil posted:

what? if a modern car has a spare tire and lug wrench it's going to be much more like that top one, not the giant cross. it'll have a single lug socket sized specifically for that vehicle rather than being a multipurpose tool with a bunch of extra metal on it.

Yeah factory-supplied lug tool will only have one socket, sized for that car's lug nuts. But lots of folks have the universal tool depicted, which has four sizes on it, and is sold all over the place. If you buy a "tire iron" at a parts store or on Amazon, like as not that's what you'll get - a big plus-sign with four sizes on it that would kind of suck to try to beat someone with. You'll also see lots of tire spoons

grillster posted:

To properly plug a tire (not just a temporary repair to get you home) you are supposed to pull the carcass off the wheel and inspect the interior. Also repairing the sidewall is supposedly much more risky. I could see a tow truck driver refusing to do something that could create a liability if the repair failed, since that could cause an accident.
https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

quote:

The only way to properly repair a tire is to demount it from the rim so it can inspected on the inside, remove the damaged material, fill the void with rubber, and seal the innerliner with a repair unit.

A plug by itself or a patch by itself is not an acceptable repair because the plug does not permanently seal the innerliner and the patch does not fill the void left by the penetrating object, which allows water to enter the body of the tire and starting corroding the steel belts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe you could use the big plus as a kind of shield

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
There are a lot of sounds which have been lost to time and had very strong meanings in older media. The audience at the time would fully understand what they were supposed to represent, but newer generations will probably have no idea.

http://savethesounds.info/ has saved some of them.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Original_Z posted:

There are a lot of sounds which have been lost to time and had very strong meanings in older media. The audience at the time would fully understand what they were supposed to represent, but newer generations will probably have no idea.

http://savethesounds.info/ has saved some of them.

i'm heartbroken they didn't include the "new message window" AIM sound, which inspired such a height of joy that not even getting married on acid could reach it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

if you use that poo poo on a tire you will never be able to re-inflate that tire again becuase it will clog the valve, and also it will stick to the inside of the wheel so when you next change your tire whoever does that for you will curse your name. Basically that poo poo is for dire emergencies only.

It can also gently caress up the tires balancing and ruin the TPMS sensors.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Even weirder aspirin is more likely to keep you awake than make you fall asleep.

But maybe for a brief shining moment in the 50's and 60's, people thought aspirin was a sleep aid. When modern sleep aids that were not booze or opium came onto the market everyone immediately forgot all about aspirin.

Lol at "in the 50's and 60's" - I get patients now telling me that they take one paracetamol (i.e. half a dose) every night to help them sleep. It's not pain related either. The placebo effect is a hell of a drug.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah just the other day one of my anti vax coworkers was telling me she's so not used to medicine one Tylenol will put her to sleep. I was confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

That paper also specifically says:

"The impression that the simple analgesics have a sedative action is widely held, although we know of only one report (Eade & Lasagna, 1967) in the literature demonstrating this action in man."

Something I've had to explain even to adults in their 20s now is the concept of "Saturday morning cartoons"....just the idea that there was a programming block on all the networks on Saturday morning that showed children's cartoons, because that's not really a thing anymore.